Chapter 3

Neighbors 2: The Change/ Second Chance

Chapter 3!

 

 

An afternoon barbecue on a Saturday, this was something that I looked forward of doing today. It was only a few days ago when I called Nickhun about seeing Hyoyeon. Apparently, Yuri knew, however, she opted to not say anything.

 

I understand though. For quite some time, Hyoyeon was some topic that we chose to not discuss openly. The couple knew how I struggled. How I cried for days. How I laboriously tripped down memory lane and moved forward. I was a mess. Nickhun and Yuri witnessed every detail.

 

In my friend’s abode resides a lovely backyard. Resting in its center was a lovely table decorated with flowers, wine bottles and melamine plates.

 

Hyoyeon loves flowers. And I was again reminded by this fact upon seeing long-stemmed roses in tall clear vases. Draped on the table was a summery blue and orange-hued cloth. Again, the color orange was another reminder of her vibrance and youth. She also loves orange. Everybody knows.

 

“Ehem… Yah! Mr. Lee Junho, you might want to help us.”

 

It was Yuri, giving me that teasing look. I let out a chuckle.

 

“Sorry, so how can I help?”

 

She laughed while putting a bowl of fresh greens on the table.

 

“What’s funny?” I asked,

 

“YOU.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Coz you’re zoning out! You’re excited aren’t you?”

 

I didn’t answer. Instead, I looked ahead and saw Nickhun barbecuing.

 

“I’ll just help Nickhun there. Bye!”

 

Yuri simply smiled as I walked towards her husband.

 

“Bro!” I called out.

 

“Hey, it’s hot in here, are you sure you want to help me? Don’t tell me, you just want to get away from my interrogating wife, haha!”

 

“Nope. I just want to help. So what can I do?”

 

“Nah, I can do it. Just tell me more about what happened, haha!”

 

“There’s no more to tell. I’ve told you everything.”

 

“Tsk, so what’s your plan?”

 

“Dunno, maybe, be friends again? Get to know her again? I really don't know.”

 

“Friends. That’s a good start, bro. So, how does it feel... seeing her again after a long time? Is there still a spark? haha!”

 

“Spark? If that means being too happy when I saw her. How my world lit up when I realized that she was back? How excited and hopeful I am to possibly see her again and again? Maybe bro. Hahaha!”

 

 I answered seriously and I know that Nickhun somehow expected it. I was never the type who would kid about Hyoyeon. Anything, everything about her is so valuable to me… joking was never an alternative.

 

“You still love her, don’t you?”

 

Nickhun further asked. He looked at me then smiled before flipping a piece of steak. I was delighted that he understands.

 

“I guess, this is good. I’m sure my wifey is so hungry by now, haha!”

 

And as he handed me the plate filled with steak and sausages, the face that I was hoping to see finally arrived.

 

 She looks great in a simple white dress. Her shoulders bare, her silken hair down. I was again remembering that moment when she tried teaching me how to do braids, much to my dislike.

 

=================

 

“Junho, it’s not like that. Here, let me show you.”

 

“Baby, If you can do it by yourself then why do I have to do it?

 

Feigning a pout, she leaned close and brushed her lips against mine. The smell of her sweet breath lingers. The taste of her lips as it landed perfectly on mine tasted like sweet berries. Every time we kiss, it’s like heaven and earth combined.

 

===============

 

“Junho, hey bro, you’re zoning out again, haha!”

 

Nickhun brought me out of my stupor. My eyes not veering away from Hyoyeon, who managed to see me.

 

She smiled.  I smiled back.

 

“Go to her now bro, go.”

 

Nickhun teased and so I walked towards this lovely figure ahead. A few more steps… excitement filled my belly that I soon felt those butterflies again.

 

“Hi!” I initiated.

 

I was holding the plate that Nickhun handed to me earlier. She then reached for it. For a second, I felt her hand touching mine.

 

“Hi! Let me help you with this.”

 

She took the plate and I was left standing. I simply watched as she approached the table and continued chatting with Yuri.

 

“Junho!”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Can you please call my husband, I’m starving.” 

 

“Ah, sure. Bro your wife is hungry!!! Make it fast!”

 

=================

 

The afternoon barbecue turned out to be a lovely feast. With Yuri and Nickhun as our hosts, I was taken back to the time when the four of us used to have dinners.

 

I remembered the first dinner we had. How Hyoyeon prepared every meal with so much interest, I clearly recalled how she would create a list of possible dishes to cook and that she would plan days before the event.

 

She was a gracious host. She wants to make her guests feel special.

 

These details seemed embedded in my mind… I could not manage to forget those.

 

“So, Hyo, will you stay here for good?”

 

It was Nickhun who asked and it caught my attention for I wanted to know more about her plans.

 

“Uhm… not really sure, Nick. It would have been great to stay a little longer but---”

 

“Why not? Did you left something behind? Like work? Or boyfr—- ah no, let’s go to your work.”

 

I shot him a look and Nickhun immediately noticed. Yuri was trying not to laugh.

 

“Ah, work? Hmmm… I guess not. Beside my dad has an offer… he wants me to go back in the company here and work for him.”

 

“That was a good idea, right guys?” I remarked and Hyoyeon suddenly became uncomfortable.

 

“Ah,  still thinking about it Junho. I’m still not sure if I will accept the offer.”

 

Silence took over.

 

“Dessert anyone?”  Yuri asked.

 

“Here, Babe. I’ll help you.” And just like that, Hyoyeon and I were left on the table.

 

I was sitting beside her and I noticed how she suddenly became silent. She used to have a big appetite but seeing her now and the way she deals with food… something has changed.

 

She seemed to be very picky with her choices. She ate some salad but instead of putting too much dressing, she opted not to.

 

She took the smallest piece of steak and hardly ate as I observed her slicing it to bits. She didn’t even finish eating it.

 

She asked Yuri for some sweet tea instead of orange juice. Before, freshly-squeezed oranges perk her mornings up. With I, preparing a tall glass of said cold drink alongside her favorite eggs and bacon.

 

“Are you full?”

 

I could not help but ask.

 

She looked to my side.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Coz you ate so little. I’m not used to it"

 

“Ah, coz I’m not the old Hyoyeon who used to eat a lot, haha”

 

She let out a laugh that rang like a lullaby. I smiled at her.

 

“I love you.” I muttered and she was surprised.

 

“H-huh?”

 

“A-ah, I mean… I love it better when you still had a big appetite, haha!”

 

She did not respond.

 

“Here’s the dessert, Hyoyeon brought this ice cream!”

 

“Hey, babe, Take it easy with the sweets, you’re pregnant remember.” Nickhun warned.

 

“Can’t you see my tummy babe; it’s only been 3 weeks stop being paranoid.”

 

“But still.”

 

“Me! I want to have some, that’s chocolate for sure, coz that’s Hyo’s favourite flavour.” I remarked.

 

Nope! You’re wrong Mr. Lee, this is pistachio.” Yuri said.

 

I looked at Hyoyeon and maybe it was me but- she avoided my gaze this time.

 

Changes… subtle but they are practically tearing my memories apart.

 

It was almost 8 in the evening and Nickhun insisted that we stayed for a few more hours. Who am I to even complain? I wanted to be here. Every minute spent with Hyoyeon is bliss on my part.

 

“She became so quiet doesn’t she?”

 

Nickhun and I stayed in the porch while the ladies went inside the house. I nodded.

 

“You’re also not used to it right?” He continued.

 

“Of course. It’s seems like it’s not her. But at least she’s here. She looks okay.”

 

“Junho?”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“I’m not going to ask you anymore ‘coz I know that you still love her but… are you sure about this?”

 

“I had to try. I had to, bro.”

 

“Here, just drink it up bro”

 

“Nah, I'll pass... Hyoyeon is here.”

 

“Tsk! You’re not even her boyfriend anymore yet you’re still scared of her.”

 

“But still. Besides, I will also drive.”

 

“Hey guys, Hyoyeon is going home now.” Yuri said as they walk towards us

 

“Huh? Ahh… I think I need to go home now too bro.”  

 

“What? But you said earlier that you will---”

 

“No bro, I have to go. See you later… So uhm Hyo, do you need a ride? We can go together. Besides, we have the same route anyways.”

 

“Junho, thanks but--”

 

And suddenly, a guy appeared from behind. He was some face that I definitely wasn’t familiar with. A good friend perhaps or so I thought.

 

I remained in my seat. And as I watch the guy held her waist, it felt like some huge boulder hit me in the head.

 

She was smiling though.

 

I didn’t know what happened really. It’s seems like I became deaf or something. All I know is that… the guy was already talking to Yuri. Then he was approaching our table.

 

Nickhun stood up to acknowledge the visitor. I somehow heard my name but I’m not really sure. Afterwards, he held his hand out to me.

 

“Hi, I’m Donghae. Nice meeting you, Junho-sshi.”

 

 

***************

 

Aww... Poor Junho:( 

Comment, Subscribe & Upvote!!!