Just Think About It

Bastard
hello friends
Kim here
as the editor and betareader of this story, I felt I should warn you all that some p suggestive stuff happens later in this chapter
it's not really worth an "M" rating per se, but better safe than sorry
some of you may not be into reading that sort of stuff and all so yer
Kim out ~
 

 
It’s a shame that Victor doesn’t heed Henry’s threat because he attempts to approach her during the Gala. Mei Lin would always find a reason to be somewhere else or otherwise appear to be busy, but when things are settling down after dinner is coming to a close, Mei Lin is left alone with her earpiece and tablet, pretending to look busy. She makes a comment to one of the waiters and when Mei Lin looks up to check on how the night is going, Victor is standing less than a foot from her. Gale stands up from her seat across from Lu Han the moment she sees this. Lu Han is confused and turns around to see what Gale is staring at. All anyone sees is Victor opening his mouth and Mei Lin slapping him dead across the cheek. The contact echoes throughout the whole ballroom and even the orchestra looks up. Victor’s turned face and Mei Lin’s raised hand tells the story, as if Victor’s redding cheek isn’t telling enough. Mei Lin gives the boy one last glare before turning around and busying herself with another matter.
 
The news travels quickly throughout the whole company, or rather, the rumor that Victor had said something inappropriate to Mei Lin, forcing her hand. “What did you say to her?” Yi Fan asks after a brief staff meeting.
 
“Nothing,” Victor says honestly, but the light bruise says otherwise.
 
“You had to have said something,” Yi Fan says. I don’t think I’ve ever seen her so angry.
 
Yeah, I did. I said a lot of things. That slap was just two and half years late. “Does it matter?”
 
“She’s my secretary,” Yi Fan says simply. “If you did something to upset her, I have a right to know.”
 
“So you can hate me too?”
 
Too? “I would if you wronged her in some way.”
 
“Sir, your press conference is in an hour, we should get going,” Mei Lin says, ignoring Victor.
 
You’re so much better than this. Why are you working for such a selfish bastard?
 

 
Victor is waiting in Mei Lin’s office when she gets back from the press conference, which had announced how Mei Lin will be taking on Huntington and Alzheimer’s cases from all over the world now. GIBI had also released the terms of the contracts that all cases are required to sign, causing the suing party to drop their invalid lawsuit.
 
“Things are settling down a bit,” Yi Fan points out. “You might have more on your plate, but—”
 
“Thanks, sir,” Mei Lin says. You don’t have to try so hard to make me feel better. “God damn it. Victoria, what did I say about letting people into my office?” Mei Lin snaps.
 
“He really gets under your skin, doesn’t he?” Yi Fan asks.
 
He literally won’t anymore, but you have no idea just how right you are. “Tell him I’m going to call security the next time I see him in there.”
 
“What did he say to you the other night anyways?” Yi Fan asks. “At the Gala, Mei. I might not attend those things but news travels fast around here.”
 
“Don’t worry about it,” Mei Lin says as they make their way to Yi Fan’s office.
 
Unfortunately, there are no locks on glass doors. “Can I help you, Chang?” Yi Fan asks, sounding a bit annoyed at the fact that he’s here without an appointment.
 
Mei Lin ignores the third body in the room and proceeds to tidy up the spotless office. “I was wondering if you…”
 
“Cut the crap, Chang. What do you want with Ms. Chan?”

She cringes a bit but acts as if she heard nothing. “You said ‘再見.’”

Mei Lin drops the book that she’s putting back into place. “Mei?” Yi Fan is now concerned at how she isn’t moving.
 
She picks up the book and puts it back into its proper place before giving Victor the deadliest glare she could manage. Even Yi Fan cringed. “And I’ll say it again,” Mei Lin nearly hisses before walking out of the office.
 
It then hits Yi Fan. “Do you two know each other?” He doesn’t wait for a response. “Get out.”
 
That was not the last angry person that Victor had to deal with. When he gets back to his office, Gale is waiting for him. “You’ve got some nerve harassing her like that. You think that just because you came halfway around the world for her, she’ll take you back?”
 
“Who the are you?” Victor’s mad now. Mei Lin had every right to be upset and so do his boss and even the arrogant son, but who is Gale to grill Victor when the two have never met? “Get the hell out of my office.”
 
“Damn, I hope your mouth wasn’t that filthy when you were with her,” Gale snorts. “You don’t know me and I don’t give a about you. All you need to know is that she’s my boss and best friend and I can make your life a living hell, but out of the goodness of her heart, Mei won’t allow such ‘childish’ behavior. She’s sure as hell not going to say anything to you—because you don’t deserve it—but think of this as my public service announcement to you. She is very much loved by many people in this company and should they find out whatever it is that happened between you two, you would be begging for death, you hear?”
 
Victor blinks while trying to process all that Gale had just laid out in front of him. “She…She didn’t tell you what happened between us?”
 
“No, but if you feel like sharing, I have five more minutes I can kill.”
 
“We dated.”
 
“Well no . Tell me something I don’t know.”
 
“We were together for over three years.” Before I screwed it up. “We lived together for about nine months.”
 
“Like, in the same house?”
 
“Apartment, but yes.” I was going to ask her to marry me.
 
“So what the did you do?” Victor is quiet so Gale rephrases her question, “Or should I be asking who the did you do?”
 
He cringes. We just made out; it wasn’t even real. Next thing he knows, Victor is on the floor after getting a solid punch on the jaw from Gale. She promptly jumps on top of him and grabs him by his collar.
 
“YOU ING ! HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TO HER? WHAT DID SHE EVER DO TO YOU TO DESERVE THAT?! AT LEAST HAVE THE DECENCY TO BREAK UP WITH HER FIRST! NO WONDER SHE HATES YOU! NO WONDER SHE’S HERE!”
 
“That was the point,” Victor says in between Gale shaking him silly. “She wasn’t going to leave me to come here.” Gale stops. “Can you imagine? Everything she’s done, everything she’s made since coming here, none of that would’ve happened or existed should she have stayed in the States with me.”
 
Tears are streaming down from Victor’s eyes at this point and Gale gets off of him. “You…you cheated on her…on purpose so that…she would leave you and….” This is too much for Gale to process but she slaps him when he tries to get up off the floor. “There are other ways of persuading her, you know!”
 
“You know how she is once she makes up her mind,” Victor says, wiping his eyes a bit. “Believe when I say that I tried everything.”
 
“You have a problem,” Gale says. “You don’t want to be happy. If you did, you wouldn’t have pushed her so hard. If you did, you wouldn’t have come here to…do whatever it is that you’re here to do.”
 
“My job.”
 
“Damn, you even sound like her. So what’s your plan? Because she sure as hell ain’t talking to you.”
 
“What’s the point?” Victor sighs.
 
“The point is how much pain are you going to put her through again just to settle your conscious? Do you even ing know how long it took her to trust someone again? Hell, I don’t even think she fully trusts Henry yet.” They should be married by now. “She didn’t hum, let alone sing, and don’t get me started as to how long it took for her to dance again.”
 
“You don’t think I feel guilt? I don’t need you to—”
 
“Well she sure as hell won’t,” Gale points out. “And someone has to. Better it be me than your boss—or worse, her boss.”
 
“Why the is she working for that anyways?” Victor straightens himself out before sitting down behind his desk. Gale takes the guest chair.
 
“I don’t even know anymore. My best guess is because she’s loyal as all .”
 
“How the hell did this even start? She came here to be a biomedical engineer, not some spoiled brat’s servant.”
 
“Harsh much?” Gale chuckles. Someone’s jealous. “That’s a long and complicated story, but my theory is,” Gale pauses to make sure she has Victor’s attention, “she did it to punish herself. Either that or so she’ll have a sufficient distraction.”
 
Victor cringes, “I never meant to hurt her.”
 
“Yes you did. She wouldn’t have left if you didn’t,” Gale snaps, “according to you.”
 
“I didn’t choose to come here, alright?” Victor snaps as well. “I was given the promotion the day before I had to fly over here.”
 
“Why?” Gale asks. What’s so damn special about you?
 
“I don’t know? Maybe it’s because I know Chinese? Maybe because I am Chinese? Maybe it’s because I’m good at what I do? At this point, I don’t even care. I just want to make things right.”
 
“And how’s that going to happen?”
 
“I just want us both to have a bit of closure. It doesn’t matter to me if she hates me; I just don’t want her to think that—that what we had meant nothing, that she meant nothing.” I still love her.
 
“To be honest, I don’t think she even thinks about you,” Gale says dryly. “I think all that she remembers is what you did to her.”
 
Hopefully, that one bad memory is not all that she remembers.
 
“It shouldn’t surprise you if it is,” Gale says, snickering at the fact that the boy didn’t realize he had spoken his thoughts aloud. “And if she does remember all the happy times you both had, wouldn’t it just make her even more sad because you threw all that in her face?”
 
Gale’s phone buzzes, “Your team is wondering where you are, and to be honest, I’m wondering now too.
 
Gale responds to the text with, “If you care to look up, I’m talking to death himself.
 
Mei Lin’s eyes widen at the message and for the first time since Monday, she looks in the direction of Victor’s office, and sure enough, Gale is inside chatting with him. “Gale…Be nice.
 
Mei Lin can see Gale throw her head back in laughter after seeing the text. “You know, you still don’t deserve her. She’s too good to you now, even though you really ed up her psyche.” Gale makes her exit and goes straight into Mei Lin’s office, knowing that her friend is dying to know what she might have said to her ex. “He’ll have to invest in a concealer but he feels like an for what he did—”
 
“Gale,” Mei Lin says sternly. “Don’t ever do that again.”
 
Didn’t see that coming. “Why not? You sure as hell aren’t going to give him the talk that he deserves—”
 
“That’s not the point,” Mei Lin says evenly. Stay out of it. I don’t need you to fight my battles for me.
 
“Then what is the point, Mei?” Gale asks, getting a bit upset now because her friend is being stubborn. “What’s wrong with me kicking the of the that had the audacity to hurt you?” Mei Lin had cringed at Gale’s choice of words, but Gale as a point of her own. “I’m honestly sick and tired of you putting yourself through hell and then not giving anyone any, even when they clearly did something wrong!”
 
“Gale—”
 
“No!” Gale slams her hand on the table. “Now you listen here, missy, don’t sit there and pretend that he doesn’t exist, because he does, and so does the fact that he cheated on you. Ignoring that won’t change the past and it sure as hell won’t change how you view yourself and your situation. If you don’t confront this, Henry is going to be waiting until his hair doesn’t need to be bleached anymore for your hand in marriage. And don’t tell me that that’s not the reason why you haven’t tied the knot yet because I will punch you.”
 
Gale stares Mei Lin down until her pink eyes spill over in defeat. “You can be a real sometimes.”
 
“Yeah well, this is right.” Gale waits as Mei Lin dries her eyes, giving herself a chance to calm down as well. “Can I just ask…why didn’t you guys try long distance?”
 
“I wasn’t going to be the one to leave for another country for the sake of my career,” Mei Lin says plainly. I couldn’t put him through that.
 
Gale stares at Mei Lin for a long time as she tries to wrap her head around why Mei Lin wouldn’t go after what she had been working towards since high school (with all of her AP classes). “You chose Victor over the possible approval of your father…”
 
Mei Lin nods. I wonder if he realized that…
 
Gale’s eyes suddenly go wide, “Junsu…”
 
Mei Lin nods again and hides her face as she feels fresh tears coming. “Even though I knew it was coming, it didn’t make it hurt any less. What very few people know is that we actually tried a long distance relationship,” Mei Lin smiles a bit at the memory, “It doesn’t work, Gale.” Gale pulls her lips into a flat line. “What broke my heart was that I had to let go of someone I truly loved because there was nothing that I could do about it.” I wasn’t going to ask him to stay. “And what broke my heart again was that someone I loved lied to me. So you’ll have to forgive me if I’m wary of trusting another man with my heart again. It’s been broken two too many times, and honestly Gale, the third will surely leave me shattered and I don’t want to live in a world where I can’t love or be loved.”
 
“Henry wouldn’t—”
 
“How do I know that, Gale? I use to think the same thing about Victor and look how that turned out.”
 
“You’re suppose to have faith,” Gale says, the words leaving a funny taste in .
 
“I’m running out,” Mei Lin sighs. “Assuming there’s any left.”
 
“There has to be,” Gale says. “Or else you would’ve quit working for blondie over there years ago.” Mei Lin raises her eyebrow in question. “You wouldn’t waste your time on something you didn’t believe in.”
 
“Are you telling me to marry Henry?” Mei Lin asks.
 
“I’ve been telling you that. No, I’m telling you to take care of your issues and stop fitting the stereotype of your people by being passive-aggressive and indirect.”
 
“Not all of us can be as blunt as you.”
 
“Sure you can, you just choose not to be.”
 
“It comes off as rude.”
 
“And you have every right to be. Mei, you single-handedly got over half of this company to hate him just from a single slap. They have no idea why it happened, all they know is that it did and they hate him for causing you to slap him. People respect you here, so don’t be afraid to utilize that.”
 
“It’s going to make me like every other snobby suit in here.”
 
“The difference is that you’ll be justified.” It’s Mei Lin’s turn to pull her lips into a line. “Go talk to him.” He didn’t lie to you about what you think he lied to you about.
 
Mei Lin’s phone buzzes. “Maybe later.”
 
“Your boss?”
 
“No, my boyfriend.”
 
“At least move in with him,” Gale huffs. “Who cares if it’s not socially acceptable?”
 
Mei Lin rolls her eyes, “I’ll think about it.”
 
“What’s there to think about?”
 
“Victor and I shared an apartment after my junior year.”
 
“So you lived together, alone, for over a year?”
 
“Over two years,” Mei Lin corrects. “I had a year of graduate school for my Masters.”
 
“How the did you get a Masters in one year?”
 
Mei Lin shrugs, “My AP scores covered a lot of my gen eds along with a few recs for my major—”
 
“So you pretty much went into college as a sophomore—”
 
“Junior,” Mei Lin corrects. “Minored in Business Administrations and took a bunch of random electives.”
 
“Remind me again why you don’t consider yourself smart?”
 
“Creativity and intelligence are two different things,” Mei Lin says. “Other than a few close friends, Victor, and dancing, I didn’t have much of a social life. Between studying and the internship…I just work hard is all. Ask me something about history or literature and I’m about as intelligent as a third grader.”
 
“Oh that’s right, you almost failed every history class you were required to take,” Gale snickers.
 
“I got by with a C,” Mei Lin retorts.
 
“A C minus,” Gale points out. Your parents were not happy about that in the least. “Let’s not get started on every essay you had to write.”
 
“I’m not good with words,” Mei Lin admits. If you hadn’t studied with me, I would’ve failed—not only the class, but also the AP exams and would’ve had to take those damn classes all over again in college—but actually pay for them.
 
“Clearly,” Gale says, rolling her eyes. “Anyway, you need to stop letting these men control your life. If you want to move in with Henry, then do it. Don’t be afraid of what might happen again. Go talk to him, Victor, I mean; get that sorted out so you can move on.”
 
“I have moved on.”
 
“Right…And I’m six foot three,” Gale rolls her eyes. “Those who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”
 
Mei Lin winces, “I hate that quote.”
 
“Well it’s true. So listen to me and go talk to your ex so that you can finally move in with your boyfriend.”
 
“You know something that I don’t, don’t you?”
 
“I’m going back to work now,” Gale sings.
 

 
Later that day, Mei Lin goes home with Henry much to the delight of Henry. “It’s a weekday,” Henry points out, not that he’s complaining.
 
“Well,” Mei Lin shrugs. “I thought it was about time that I try…” Mei Lin leaves the rest up to Henry’s imagination. “If that’s okay.”
 
“Oh no, that’s—this is fine,” Henry smiles. That smile doesn’t last long as Henry considers the other possible reasons for Mei Lin’s sudden change in behavior. “Mei, is everything alright?” Mei Lin blinks a few more times per minute but says nothing to avoid having to lie to Henry. “You know you can tell me anything, right?”
 
Mei Lin nods and stops shortly afterwards, leaving the table half set. “I’m scared.” A million possibilities race through Henry’s head as to what could cause such fear and pain to quiver in her voice. He stays quiet, unsure of he truly wants to know what has been troubling Mei Lin. “I’m not very experienced but—” I’m heading towards my thirties soon and I’ve only been with three guys my whole life; talk about lame. “I just don’t want to get hurt again if I can help it.”
 
“I can wait,” Henry reminds her. “And besides,” Henry says softly, putting an arm around her waist before giving her a brief kiss. “I don’t think you’re inexperienced.” Quite the opposite really.
 
Mei Lin blushes profusely and attempts to hide her face in the crook of Henry’s neck but he pulls her chin into another kiss. “Hin Wah,” she breathes after the kiss. “I feel like dancing tonight.”
 
“Do you have a new song to teach me?” Henry asks, curious to see what routine they’re going to learn next.
 
Mei Lin blushes again and tugs at Henry’s wrists. “No, I think you know this one pretty well already.”
 
Henry, although confused, follows. When they walk past the practice room, it only takes Henry two seconds to realize what Mei Lin had meant, as if being pushed against the wall wasn’t hint enough. Henry tries to back away out of shock but the walls keeps him from going anywhere. He stays there for a moment, letting Mei Lin have her fun before grabbing her by her collar and pivoting so that they are now switched. Mei Lin gasps and lets out a moan when Henry claims her lips again. She tries to push him off in hopes of getting air but Henry takes her wrists and holds them down with one hand while his other holds her chin in place. Mei Lin practically whimpers when her lungs start to ache, causing Henry to smirk and break the kiss.
 
“For a singer, you don’t have much breath support,” Henry chuckles. He drops his hand from her chin but keeps Mei Lin’s arms pinned down on either side of her.
 
“Haven’t been singing very much as of late,” Mei Lin explains as she tries to catch her breath.
 
Henry’s lips twist into a smirk once again before taking Mei Lin’s swollen ones. “Well,” he says in between kisses. “We’re going to have to change that tonight now, aren’t we?”
 
“We don’t have to,” Mei Lin protests, gasping when Henry’s teeth graze her neck. That’s going to leave a mark, she winces.
 
“You’re the one who wanted to dance,” Henry points out, abusing another part of Mei Lin’s skin as she squirms at the contact.
 
Make that two marks. “No one told me there was going to be singing involved,” Mei Lin pants.
 
“After all that your boss expects of you,” Henry says as he moves her under him on the couch, “it shouldn’t be too much to ask, coming from me.”
 
Mei Lin rolls her eyes. Are we really going to talk about Yi Fan now of all the times?
 
“It could be worse,” Henry points out after straddling Mei Lin. He pulls off his shirt, “I could be asking you to do more.”
 
“Like what?” Mei Lin challenges.
 
Let me fire Victor for one. “Close your eyes,” Henry breathes into her ear.
 
“That’s hardly worse.”
 
“Then do it,” Henry says as he plants kisses on her collarbone. Mei Lin closes her eyes and drops her shoulders to show her trust but to her surprise, the weight that was pressing against her abdomen and hips disappeared. Had it not been for Henry telling her to, “Keep your eyes closed,” she would have opened them.
 
Why do you sound so far away?
 
She hears Henry come back and he sits in front of her. “Let me see your hand.” Henry takes Mei Lin hand before she could extend it and he places something hard and cold into her palm before closing it. Mei Lin opens her eyes to see what it could be, but Henry is quick to pin her hand down to her side and take her breath away again. “I didn’t say that you could open your eyes.”
 
“You’re not my boss,” Mei Lin points out playfully. “You can’t tell me what to do.” She struggles underneath him but she knows it’s pointless. She does it because she also knows that Henry enjoys being on top and in control.
 
“Yes I can,” Henry chuckles. “You just don’t listen.”
 
“Listening and complying are two different things,” Mei Lin argues.
 
“In Chinese maybe.” He gets to work on Mei Lin’s blouse. What am I saying? Even then…
 
Mei Lin shrugs off her wrinkled top and takes this opportunity to brush her thigh over Henry’s hips. She chuckles at the discomfort that she knows is building in his gut. Mei Lin hooks her fingers under the waistline of Henry’s pants and she plays with the elastic of his underwear. Henry tenses more and more with every brush of her fingertips as he tries to stay composed during their staring contest.
 
After two long, solid minutes of teasing, Mei Lin wins and Henry breaks composure. He seizes Mei Lin’s wrists once again and holds them above her head as he knocks her back flat against the couch. “Don’t hold back,” Henry reminds her. He can feel her swallowing her own moans as she tries to ignore what Henry’s other hand is doing. He kisses her jawline and then behind Mei Lin’s ear to encourage her to crack as well. Be honest with me.
 
“H-Hin…Wahhh…” Her voice is shaky and pleading, just how Henry likes it.
 
He smirks in victory when Mei Lin can no longer control what passes through her lips. It’s a good thing I sent everyone home, Henry smirks again. “Where was this breath support earlier?” he teases.
 
“Hin Wah!” This is not the time to be a smartass. I know you’re close too.
 

 
Needless to say, the table was never fully set that night. They wake up hungry very early the next morning. As Henry is cooking them both breakfast in nothing but boxers, Mei Lin is on her tablet scrolling through messages in one of Henry’s larger t-shirts. She is munching on some sliced apples when Henry’s phone sounds, indicating that he got an e-mail.
 
“Would you mind checking that for me?” Henry asks, not wanting to leave a hot stove unattended. Mei Lin punches in her birthday to get past the passcode lock and opens the new e-mail. She is surprised to see that the sender was Amber. “What does it say?”
 
“Amber said that they love your demo,” Mei Lin says after taking a bite of apple. “They want to offer you a record contract.” Mei Lin sets down the phone and swallows what was in . “What is she talking about?”
 
“We worked on a few things together back in the day, like before Kevin fired her,” Henry explains. “She was in town recently for the social back in the club if you remember the DJ. We grabbed lunch to catch up and she asked me what I had been working on.”
 
“How did she know that you have been composing again?” Mei Lin asks, taking another slice into .
 
Henry wiggles his fingers, showing the pads, like an awkward greeting. “Calluses,” Henry smiles. “Anyways, I didn’t have time to show her, so I sent her a copy of some of the stuff I had recorded—they’re the songs that I wrote for you, or about you.”
 
“Oh.” I’m flattered.
 
“She must’ve showed the company that she works for now,” Henry shrugs.
 
“You should take up the offer,” Mei Lin suggests as Henry places an American styled breakfast in front of them both.
 
“Why?” Henry laughs. “I have a perfectly stable and well-paying job right now.” Why would I give that up? Why would I give you up?
 
“That doesn’t mean you’re happy.”
 
Henry gives Mei Lin a confused and almost insulted look. Do I come off as otherwise?
 
“With your job,” Mei Lin adds, realizing how that must have sounded. “Especially now; I’ve never seen you so stressed.”
 
“It’s only because I have to make another global tour,” Henry sighs. I am not looking forward to two months of international travel with Bai Fu and without Mei.
 
“Shouldn’t having the representatives here at HQ eliminate that need?” Mei Lin asks, not wanting Henry to be in a different time zone.
 
“You should never believe in everything that they say, Mei.”
 
“So who’s in charge of your representatives until you come back?” Mei Lin asks.
 
“Kevin, most likely,” Henry shrugs.
 
“Really?” Mei Lin almost chokes.
 
“Yeah? He usually does,” Henry says.
 
“When you left last year, he didn’t mention…”
 
“Wow, he actually managed a whole Department for two months without your help?” Henry chuckles. “He normally just ignores it but last year everything ran really smoothly. I had assumed that it was because you took over like you always do but…guess not.”
 
“Damn…” Mei Lin realizes that their conversation got sidetrack. “You should still consider this deal. There weren’t that many details in the e-mail but it sounds nice. And it’s not like you can’t afford to do it.”
 
“Why are you insisting that I drop the suit and pick up my bow?” Do you want me to leave? Did I do something wrong?
 
“Because you’re happiest when you’re making music. Take away the fact that I now work at GIBI and ignore your parents for a sec, and tell me that you would not take this deal.”
 
“The music industry is risky, Mei—”
 
“You always take risks,” Mei Lin points out. “The company wouldn’t be where it’s at if you hadn’t.”
 
“Do you want to break up?” Henry finally blurts out, not wanting to play games. Mei Lin drops her utensils in shock and her eyes are as round as the egg yokes on her plate. Well, that answers that; I was way off. “Sorry, it just sounded like you were pushing me away.”
 
“I just want you to be happy, Hin Wah,” Mei Lin says quietly. “Like I said, it’s not like you can’t afford to do it. And I’m not saying you have to give up your job at the company…you could take a leave of absence or an extended vacation—Lord knows you have enough days saved up for that. And we’re not going to break up just because we don’t work under the same building.”
 
“I would be in the States,” Henry points out. “That’s where the record company is located.”
 
Mei Lin shrugs, “If it comes down to it, I could always work at the American Branch. It might be a better move anyways, seeing how more willing clients are in the States.” Henry bites his lips, still unsure of how to feel about this so Mei Lin adds, “Just think about it.”
 
“Alright.”
 
 
 
 
 

Translations/Author's Notes:

  • 再見 = Goodbye; literally,  is the adverb again and  is the verb to see, so 再見 literally means see [you] again

  • In most [oriental] Asian cultures, it is very rude to be direct. For example, in the Japanese language, there is no real way to say "no," and is it the same in Chinese. When saying "no" or "did not" (any form of the negative really), there is no single word/character for "no." You would have to use the negative particle (along with the verb used in the question. You could also say bù duì which means not correct or say cuò which means wrongTL:DR: There's is rarely a direct translation of the Engish word for "no" in oriental Asian languages in general because their culture is very indirect and polite.

  • AP (Advance Placement) = A program in the United States created by a company known as College Board which offers college curriculum to high schoolers. Depending on the score that you earn at the end of the year exam (and the college you attend), one could recieve credit for an equivilient course.

  • I thought I should add that playing string instruments [such as the violin] will cause you to develop some type of callus on your fingers, which is why Henry has calluses...in case anyone was confused.