First Hand

Bastard
“Mei?”
 
“Hm?”
 
“Are you okay?”
 
“Of course, sir,” Mei Lin says as she puts back the book. “Why wouldn’t I be?”
 
“You usually hum whenever you’re cleaning,” Yi Fan points out. Because for some reason, this is relaxing to you.
 
Mei Lin pauses in her dusting for a moment at the fact that Yi Fan would notice her unconscious habit. “It’s just been really busy,” Mei Lin says.
 
My father—I have put you through more stress and work than what’s happening now. “Alright,” Yi Fan sighs, realizing that Mei Lin doesn’t want to talk about her work when she’s in his office. “How’s Lau taking to his now-expanded Department?”
 
“I don’t know,” Mei Lin admits. I haven’t really talked to him about work.
 
“Mei, I think my books are clean,” Yi Fan says. Something’s bothering you. You’re in here more than your own office or lab.
 
“Oh…”
 
“Mei, the Gala is going to turn out great, just like it always does,” Yi Fan says, thinking that that’s what she’s worrying about. Doesn’t make sense though, there’s nothing special about this year’s.
 
“How would you know,” Mei Lin teases as she sits down on one of the plush seats. “You never go.”
 
Why are you staying? Not that I’m complaining, but… “Word gets around.” You’ve been acting strange all week.
 
Gale suddenly storms into Yi Fan’s office, causing them both to look up. “If you two are done flirting, we have a situation in the lab,” she says, sounding a bit frustrated.
 
Mei Lin stands up and walks with Gale who is clearly fuming. She bows slightly before leaving the office and Mei Lin keeps her eyes down casted when going down the stairs. “So what’s really bothering you?” Mei Lin asks as soon as they’re alone in the lab.
 
“You’re avoiding your ex like he’s the black plague even though his office is literally directly across from yours. The Gala is coming up and Lu Han is up to his neck with work because Henry’s ing representatives don’t know a damn thing and need him for every ing thing and I don’t know how to alter the output of this engine so that it doesn’t fry—”
 
“Gale. Breathe.” Mei Lin goes to grab her lab coat and puts on some goggles. She starts to tinker with the engine as Gale stares blankly with her thoughts. “So what’s really bothering you?”
 
“The fact that I don’t know what the he did to make you so silent,” Gale practically hisses. I wasn’t kidding in high school when I use to threaten Junsu.
 
“There’s nothing to talk about,” Mei Lin says.
 
“God damn it, Mei!” Gale nearly dents the metal table that she slams. “Ignoring—”
 
“He doesn’t exist to me,” Mei Lin explains. “That’s all you need to know. We’re not talking about this again.”
 
“Did that son of a cheat on you?” Gale asks, remember a particular conversation that they had their sophomore year about cheating. Mei Lin’s face is unchanging but Gale’s memory knows better. “That .”
 
“Gale,” Mei Lin says as she closes the housing of the engine. “Drop it.”
 
“If Lu Han cheated on me, would you just ‘drop it’?” Gale glares.
 
“No,” Mei Lin admits. “But it’s not my place, so I wouldn’t do anything unless you asked.”
 
“You know I minored in Cyber Security and Forensics, right?” Gale says. “I could make his life a living hell.”
 
“That’s just as illegal killing someone, Gale,” Mei Lin says. “But thank you. I really wish you would drop this though. He’s not worth it.”
 
“You’re right,” Gale huffs. “He is undeserving of anything in relation to you.” Speak of the devil. “Someone’s in your office.”
 
Mei Lin ignores the comment and keeps her back to the joining wall. No access card, no access.
 
“He’s staring at you,” Gale tells her. “I feel like the moment you leave this lab to have lunch or whatever, he’s going to tail you like a lost puppy.” Mei Lin stays silent as she test runs the engine. “You could call Henry and tell him that one of his representatives is stalking you.”
 
“I don’t want to get him involved if I can help it,” Mei Lin says.
 
“Does he know about said person?” Gale asks.
 
“By name,” she says. “But I don’t know if he’s as smart as you into making the connection.”
 
“It’s been a week,” Gale says. “I’m sure he’s noticed. This ’s noticed.” Mei Lin pretends to look busy even though the engine is now working perfectly. “So what are you going to do?”
 
“Tell Victoria to never let strangers into my office,” Mei Lin says sarcastically. I think I’ll go to the roof. “Let’s hope I don’t fall down.”
 
Gale smirks as Mei Lin leaves the lab, to which Victor follows as quickly as he can as she stops to grab her tablet from her secretary desk. Mei Lin makes a quick turn and takes the stairs, confusing Victor for a moment as to where she could have gone. Mei Lin has never been so grateful that Yi Fan has gotten her into the habit of wearing flats or low heels. She quickly slides her ID to get roof access and ensures that the door clicks behind her before making her way up to the safe haven that is the roof. Even though employees only have clearance to come up here to grab a smoke, with how things are progressing for the company, no one has the time, so Mei Lin is practically alone while Victor is left confused.
 
“Need a smoke?” Henry asks, seeing Victor staring at the roof door. “You’ll have to go to the Resource Department to apply for roof access.”
 
 “Oh.” Mei doesn’t smoke. “No, I was just curious as to where this door lead. I saw someone go in is all.”
 
“Oh?” Wonder what’s bothering Kevin now. “Did you also see a young lady go through that door?”
 
“Also?” Victor is confused. “Why would Mei go to the roof with company?”
 
“Mei?” Henry raises an eyebrow, catching how Victor curses to himself for thinking out loud. “I surely hope that you are not referring to Ms. Chen,” Henry says, narrowing his eyes. “That is no way to refer to your senior.”
 
She’s actually younger than me. And I’ve actually worked at this company longer. “My apologies.” But Victor then realizes something. “Whom would Ms. Chen be on the roof with?”
 
“I do not believe that is any of your business,” Henry says. “You should get back to work.”
 
Victor bows and heads towards the elevators. But as he leaves, he notices that his new boss takes out his phone and makes a call. He speaks Cantonese and though Victor doesn’t understand this dialect of Chinese, he hears Mei Lin’s name just as the doors close.
 
“Are you sure you’re alright?” Henry asks, still not convinced by Mei Lin’s empty words.
 
“Hin Wah—”
 
“I haven’t seen you in a week, Mei,” Henry says. “What’s wrong?” The distress in Henry’s voice could be heard even though he’s attempting to keep his voice down. Henry locks himself in his office before asking, “Does it have anything to do with one of the new employees? Is he who I think he is?”
 
“Hin Wah,” Mei Lin says again. “There’s nothing to say.”
 
Mei Lin is about to hang up when she hears Henry speak again. “At least come over this weekend,” Henry begs.
 
Mei Lin brings the phone back to her ear. “Hin Wah…” She’s not sure how to turn him down without disappointing him.
 
“Can we at least have lunch together?” Henry pleads. I’m worried about you, Mei. What reason do you have to be alone on the roof?
 
“Alright,” Mei Lin agrees. “Give me an hour.” She hangs up and looks down at her tablet while Henry makes his way to see Yi Fan personally.
 
He enters Yi Fan’s office awkwardly with his hands his pockets and his eyes nowhere near Yi Fan. Yi Fan looks at him questioningly but he doesn’t go back to reviewing his press statement until Henry tells him, “Relax, I’m not going to punch you.”
 
“So then what are you here for?” Yi Fan asks, curious as to why Henry is in his office with such a lack of confidence. “Is this about Mei?” Henry can only manage to nod. “What about her?”
 
Henry in his breath before asking, “Do you know what’s going on?”
 
“No,” Yi Fan says. How the hell would I know about her personal life?
 
“Well, something’s wrong,” Henry says. “And I’m not sure what to do.”
 
“What did you do?” Yi Fan asks, putting his fountain pen down.
 
“It’s not about me or what I did,” Henry says. It’s about what someone else did. “It’s about her.”
 
“And she hasn’t told you?” Yi Fan is now deeply confused. “Have you talked to Gale? They are best friends.”
 
I already know what’s wrong. I just don’t know how to fix it. “She’s on the roof, Kevin. I don’t think Gale has access.” And neither do I.
 
Yi Fan gets up and buttons his blazer in the process out of habit. “All you had to do was ask, Lau,” Yi Fan smirks as he leaves his office. If he’s this worried… I guess I should be too.
 
He goes up to the roof but not before Victor catches sight of Yi Fan. That must be the famous . Henry leaves shortly after. Why was my boss talking to him personally when they can talk through their secretaries?
 
Yi Fan gets to the roof and nearly has a heart attack at the sight of Mei Lin sitting on the edge of the building with her legs thrown over the side. “Mei!” Mei Lin is startled and nearly loses her balance. Yi Fan sprints to catch her even though she was falling backwards and not forward. “What the , Mei?!”
 
“Sir, I’m fine,” Mei Lin says, wincing at how tightly Yi Fan is grasping her upper arms. Even through her peacoat she can feel his fingers digging into her. “Don’t scare me like that.”
 
Yi Fan pulls Mei Ln to her feet and away from the ledge, still not letting her go even though her feet are firmly on the rooftop now. “Don’t scare you?” You’re the one who has me scared. “The hell were you thinking?!”
 
“There’s no chairs up here and it was comfortable?” You can let go now. “Do you need something? You could have called, you know.” How did you even know I was up here?
 
Yi Fan sighs and finally drops his arms. He looks in an arbitrary direction, puts his hands in his pant pockets and attempts to say, “Lau’s worried about you.” And I am too.
 
Mei Lin’s heart skips a beat and a brief flash of horror dances across Mei Lin’s eyes. “Did he say why?”
 
“No,” Yi Fan says. But I am curious now.
 
“I’m fine,” Mei Lin says. “There’s just too much going on right now and I wanted some privacy.”
 
“Your office isn’t enough?” Yi Fan asks, raising an eyebrow.
 
“If an office was enough, then you wouldn’t come up here either,” Mei Lin points out.
 
Yi Fan frowns at this. I only come up here when something’s really troubling me and I want to be alone…Do you want to be alone, Mei? “I won’t make you tell me what’s bothering you—don’t lie to me and say it’s nothing, Mei. But Mei,” he says, waiting until she makes eye contact, “You know you can always talk to me, right?”
 
Mei Lin flinches a bit at the offer. “Where is this coming from, sir?”
 
Yi Fan shrugs, “It’s just…If there’s ever anything you can’t discuss with Lau or Gale…” What one Earth is there left to say if it can’t be said to Gale or Lau?
 
Mei Lin chuckles to herself, “Thank you, sir. I’ll be sure to keep that in mind.”
 
Yi Fan nods subconsciously and rocks a bit on his feet while digging his hands a bit deeper in those pockets. He’s waiting for Mei Lin to reveal something, anything, but after a few moments, he gets the feeling that Mei Lin has nothing to share. Yi Fan looks up to see that Mei Lin is simply staring into the distance with a sad look in her eyes. What happened?
 
Their eyes meet and Yi Fan holds his stare, prompting Mei Lin to say, “Really, sir, I’m fine.”
 
“You never believe me when I tell you that,” he points out. I know when you’re lying. “And Mei,” he adds another pause to make sure that she’s really listening, “I thought I told you to call me Yi Fan.”
 
Mei Lin chuckles a bit and bows slightly, “My apologies, sir. Old habits die hard.”
 
“And stop it with the bowing,” Yi Fan says, pretending to be annoyed by it. “You outrank me now, remember?”
 
“Being the head of two Departments does not mean that I outrank you,” Mei Lin points out. “I still work for you and I’m pretty sure you’re only second to your father in this company.” You are going to inherit it after all.
 
“You don’t need to bow,” Yi Fan mutters.
 
“The Yi Fan I knew would have insisted that I bow and call him ‘sir,’” Mei Lin teases. “Where is he and what have you done with him?”
 
I never insisted on those things, you simply did that on your own out of respect that I didn’t deserve. “I killed him and had Tao bury the body,” Yi Fan teases, smiling a bit at the fact that she used his real name.
 
“Oh dear,” Mei Lin says, feigning shock, “well then, it’s a good thing you’re Head of the Public Relations Department. Heavens forbid what might happen to the company’s reputation should word ever get out that my boss is a murderer.”
 
I think I killed that years ago with my reckless and selfish behavior. “Will you be going to the party tonight?”
 
“Maybe,” Mei Lin says. Most likely not.
 
“It’s at that foreign club that you like,” Yi fan says. Even though you’ve only been there once.
 
Mei Lin cringes a bit at the memories associated with that club. “It’s not my Department,” Mei Lin says.
 
“You’re going to leave Lau to dance by himself? Bai Fu must be happy about that.” Didn’t you tell me that you like dancing? “I think I’ll go to get to know everyone else.” Mei Lin starts to feel uneasy even though she thinks it’s great that Yi Fan wants to get to know the international representatives. “I won’t drink, Mei.” But then Yi Fan gets an idea. “You should come to see for yourself.”
 
“…I’ll think about it.” Mei Lin glances down at her tablet and sees the time. “I’ll be leaving first; I have a lunch date with Henry.”
 
“See you tonight.”
 

Mei Lin and Henry have lunch at a small café down the street from the GIBI buildings though there’s little conversation. “So I guess this means I won’t see you at the gathering tonight for the new employees?” Henry asks, feeling somewhat defeated and annoyed by Mei Lin’s silence on the whole matter.
 
“I might,” Mei Lin says to Henry’s surprise. “It would be nice to not give him the satisfaction of knowing that he still has influence.” It would also be nice to make sure that Yi Fan is sober.
 
“Mei—”
 
“Hin Wah,” Mei Lin says seriously. “I don’t want to talk about him. The reason why I didn’t want to say anything to begin with was because I know how you’ll react. You’ll treat him differently now that you know and people are going to notice that. It may not be news that we’re dating but it will be news that Victor and I use to date. And it would be nice not to have other people questioning and judging my soiled laundry. He doesn’t deserve any of our efforts so please, don’t fire him and treat him as if you didn’t know anything.”
 
“So what are you saying?
 
“I’m asking you to separate your personal feelings from your work.”
 
“You know I can’t do that,” Henry frowns. Even you can’t do that.
 
“Then ignore him,” Mei Lin says. That’s what I’m doing. “Just don’t go out of your way to make his life miserable.” Gale might already be doing that.
 
Henry sighs, “That might be hard considering how biased I am. Most of our potential clients are from the States you know.”
 
“I’ll deal with that,” Mei Lin says. “You don’t need to be mixed up in this.”
 
I already am. “Does he know about me? Like, have you ever mentioned me?”
 
“Not by name,” Mei Lin admits. How ironic that the two reasons why I’m here to begin with are now under the same roof.
 
“You’re too kind to him, Mei,” Henry chuckles. “Any normal girlfriend of mine would’ve jumped at the opportunity to get back at their ex.”
 
“Are you calling me abnormal, Henry?” Mei Lin teases.
 
“Normal is boring,” Henry points out. “I prefer to call you interesting.”
 

 
That night Mei Lin arrives at the club in black ankle boots, sheer leggings and a little black dress topped with a heavy overcoat to shield from the snow-threatening temperatures. Southern China is not supposed to get this cold. Henry gets out of the car first, wearing slacks and a casual dress shirt with a thick peacoat. He opens the door for his date and the two enter fashionably late. Most men are still clad in their expensive suits while the ladies took the time to darken their make up and change into something a bit tier.
 
The room quiets when Henry enters with Mei Lin on the account that Henry is the boss of many that are in the club and the fact that no one had expected Mei Lin to attend, thinking that she’s above these types of gatherings, seeing how she never goes to any of them. They conclude that it makes sense because it is an unspoken fact that the two are dating, but what throws them all off is when Mei Lin takes off her overcoat to hand to the usher. Even Yi Fan, who is sitting in the far corner watching everyone come in, feels his eyes go wide. Hot. Damn. Mei Lin keeps her hair down, silver earrings poke through the nightingale curtain. Lau, you are one lucky bastard.
 
Mei Lin scans the room and her eyes skid over Victor and they land on her boss, to whom she smiles knowingly before joining Henry’s side. “Would you like anything?” he asks.
 
“No, thank you,” Mei Lin says. “Try to keep everyone sober.”
 
“We rented out the whole club, Mei,” Henry says.
 
“That doesn’t make this any less of a prime blackmailing situation.”
 
“Will you join me?” Henry asks as they approach the booth that contains primarily his Department.
 
“No thank you,” Mei Lin says. She smiles and bows a bit to those in the large booth before walking over to her boss. “I hope that’s water.”
 
“Sprite,” Yi Fan smiles. “You look nice.”
 
“You don’t look too bad yourself,” Mei Lin says, even though Yi Fan is simply wearing a graphic t-shirt, skinny jeans and canvas shoes. Though, his many rings and bracelets topped with his signature studs and fashion necklace makes the outfit a bit less simple. “Why are you sitting all the way over here? I thought you wanted to get to know your future employees.”
 
“I’ll let Lau warm them up for me,” Yi Fan says. “The better question would be why you’re not by his side.”
 
“Like I said, it’s not my Department.”
 
“Well, that Department better realize that you’re not up for grabs,” Yi Fan chuckles. When Mei Lin looks at him questioningly, he adds, “They’re staring at you. Well, one of them is.”
 
Mei Lin turns around to see the booth and her expression drops when she catches Victor staring. “I’m going to the dance floor,” Mei Lin says suddenly.
 
“Wait a few minutes, Mei,” Yi Fan says. “The good DJ isn’t even here yet.”
 
“The good DJ?”
 
Yi Fan motions towards the door casually and a familiar face walks towards the stage and begins to set up a few turntables. “This is her part time job whenever she’s in the country,” Yi Fan explains. “She’s like you in the sense that other kinds of work are like vacations for her.”
 
Mei Lin gets up and goes to greet Amber. “Need any help?”
 
“Oh wow,” Amber says, not expecting to see Mei Lin after so many years and dressed in such a fashion. “You’re still here.”
 
“Yeah, I am,” Mei Lin says. “Let me get that.” After they’re done and Amber is tuning, Mei Lin asks, “So what are you doing here?”
 
“Kevin called in a favor,” Amber says. “I was in the area anyway and I wasn’t going to turn down such a paycheck. I heard you and Henry are a thing,” she adds. “Tao,” Amber says before Mei Lin could ask. She nods so Amber makes the comment, “You know, I always thought that you and Kevin would hit it off but I guess I thought wrong.”
 
“I don’t see him that way,” Mei Lin says.
 
“Really?” Amber is a bit surprised. “Well, something must be keeping you here. You know, aside from Henry. I mean, if it was only Henry, then you wouldn’t go through the trouble of still working under him like this.”
 
“How much did Zi Tao tell you anyways?” Mei Lin laughs.
 
“Just enough,” Amber smiles. “Any requests?”
 
“Got any hot beats?”
 
Amber smirks and pulls up her own remix. The mood change catches the attention of all those who are sitting and pulls on everyone who’s still coming in. Those already on the dance floor are somewhat confused by the new music, feeling out of place thanks to the foreign music and lyrics. Henry smirks and encourages everyone to have a good time before joining his girlfriend on the dance floor. Compared to what half of the secretaries are doing, Mei Lin and Henry are pretty tame, but not enough for Victor to not suspect their relationship status.
 
Yi Fan sits down next to Victor who is the only one left in that booth. “You better keep those eyes to yourself,” Yi Fan says in Mandarin. “Unless you want to get on your boss’ bad side before your first week is even over.”
 
“What?” Victor asks in English. He heard him, but he just wants to make sure.
 
“Your boss and the lady in the black dress,” Yi Fan says (in English now that he knows that Victor knows the language). “They’re an item.”
 
The pain that strikes Victor’s heart is visible even in the dim lights. “Oh…”
 
The speakers pick up volume: “Baby are you down, down, down, down, down?
 
The boys see Mei Lin jump in excitement with a very big smile on her face. Even Henry is a bit confused as to why Mei Lin is signaling the DJ to turn the music up and keep this sing playing. He then remembers that this was one of the dances that Mei Lin had taught him a few months ago when he asked about what kind of performances she did in college.
 
“Someone’s happy,” Yi Fan chuckles.
 
This song… Victor stands up and walks towards the dance floor. Some women try to get his attention but he’s making a beeline to the little bit of space that Mei Lin has created for herself as people stand back and watch the choreography between the couple. You still remember the moves. Victor and Mei Lin had choreographed this song her junior year (his senior year) of college for the couple’s segment of their fall show and he can’t help but get mad at his new boss for dancing in his place.
 
Mei Lin sees Victor watching from the corner of her eye and instead of stopping, she simply smiles at Henry and smirks before he spins her. “So why don’t we run away?” During that brief moment of separation thanks to that spin, Victor’s anger spills over and he takes Henry’s place when dancing the chorus. It isn’t until two lines in does Mei Lin realize that her boyfriend is not beside her. Mei Lin stops and stares at Victor with disgust before walking off. Amber takes this as her cue to change the song.
 
“The nerve of that ,” Mei Lin hisses under her breath once they were in a more private part of the club.
 
“Was that your dance?” Henry asks.
 
Was,” Mei Lin emphasizes. But she smiles when her boss comes up to her.
 
“What happened?” Yi Fan asks.
 
“You didn’t see?” Henry asks.
 
“I wouldn’t be asking if I did. My booth has a horrible view,” Yi Fan says. “Why’d you two stop? From the sounds of it, you were pretty good.” Mei Lin eyes her boss and walks into his personal bubble before taking in a deep breath awfully close to his neck and jaw. Henry gets a bit uncomfortable but Yi Fan is unfazed by the proximity. “Satisfied?”
 
Mei Lin steps back and nods skeptically. She looks at her boyfriend and explains, “Alcohol. Gotta make sure he’s true to his promise.”
 
Victor approaches the three and Mei Lin excuses herself to the bathroom around the corner. Henry steps in between Victor and the path to the bathrooms. Was this sicko really going to follow her to the bathroom? “I’m only going to say this once,” Henry says.
 
Is Lau threatening him?
 
“Leave her alone,” he practically hisses. I know she told me not to say anything but if he keeps harassing Mei like this… Henry walks past Victor, purposefully bumping shoulders as he says under his breath, just barely loud enough for him to hear, “You had no problem doing that the first time, so I don’t see why it’s so hard for you now.”
 
Victor flinches at the cold words and he is left alone with Yi Fan as the couple leaves. “What did you do?” Yi Fan asks half seriously. I’ve never seen Lau so heated.
 
“I tried to dance with her,” Victor says, not wanting to reveal the truth to the future head of the company.
 
Yi Fan lets out a snickering laugh. “Don’t let Lau get to you,” Yi Fan says. “But seriously, stay away from Mei.”
 
“That’s going to be hard,” Victor mumbles.
 
In spite of the loud setting, Yi Fan hears him. “I know, but if you know what’s good for you, you’ll stay away from her,” Yi Fan says, sounding a bit threatening himself now.
 
“You know?” Victor asks as the two make their way to the bar.
 
“She’s a good person,” Yi Fan says. “If you ever get close enough to her, maybe you’ll get to know that for yourself.”
 
Oh trust me, I know first hand. “So how do you know that she’s a good person?” Does being the son of the chairman give you the perk of her time as well?
 
“She’s my secretary,” Yi Fan says casually as he sips his soda.
 
Victor chokes on his cocktail. I broke her heart and she comes to the other side of the world to be this spoiled brat’s secretary?! “I heard she’s the Head of two Departments though.”
 
“She is,” Yi Fan says. “She’s also the only one I have yet to fire.” He glances at Amber for a moment before taking another sip.
 
“So what changed?” You don’t seem like the I heard so much about overseas.
 
More like who changed me. Yi Fan loses himself in the memories from earlier that week. He remembers waking up Tuesday morning thinking that he’s going to be late, and also thinking that it was still Monday. Everything was fuzzy and he still felt warm but he got up anyway, feeling a lot better than how he had felt twenty-four hours ago. The Department meeting… Yi Fan nearly jumped out of his bed but Mei Lin came in with a bowl of jook and some hot tea.
 
“Oh, you’re awake,” she smiled. “How do you feel?”
 
“Mei, what day is it?” Yi Fan asked with sleep still in his voice as Mei Lin sat the tray over his lap.
 
She placed her hand on his forehead and smiled at the fact that he was not burning up anymore. “It’s Tuesday morning.” The look of horror in Yi Fan’s face was almost noteworthy. He would’ve never reacted this way two years ago. “I’ve rescheduled everything, sir. Please, relax.”
 
“You’re still here,” Yi Fan pointed out.
 
“I doubt that you would listen to Zi Tao if he told you to take your medicine,” Mei Lin said. “Which reminds me, you need to drink that tea.”
 
Yi Fan gulped down the bitter substance and cringed when he was done. “You’re right,” Yi Fan said. “Tao wouldn’t have been able to get me to drink this.” Even with his martial arts skills.
 
“Please eat,” Mei Lin said. “You need to get something in your stomach besides medicine.”
 
“What’s in this?” Yi Fan asked, as he looked at the bowl skeptically even though it looks as if it came out of a restaurant.
 
“Chicken, chives, ginger, preserved duck egg, dried scallops,” Mei Lin listed. “Bit of salt, of course.”
 
Yi Fan took a spoonful and ate it slowly, finding it surprising that it didn’t burn him. Mei Lin looked at her boss for approval and Yi Fan nodded to indicate that it’s to his satisfaction. “You’re a good cook.” You’d make a good wife.
 
“Thank you, sir,” Mei Lin said. “I’ll make you something more filling when you feel a bit better.”
 
“Why aren’t you at work?” I know you have work.
 
“You’re a little more important at the moment,” Mei Lin said with a soft smile. “How do you feel?”
 
“Better,” Yi Fan said after taking another bite. “You look exhausted. I spent most of yesterday sleeping, didn’t I?” Why do you look like hell?
 
“Yes you did,” Mei Lin said, not addressing the other part of Yi Fan’s comment. “Nice to see you have your appetite.” Yi Fan had finished the bowl in less than five minutes. “Would you like more?” Yi Fan shook his head and felt himself getting sleepy again. “Do you have the strength to brush your teeth before you drift off again?”
 
Yi Fan slowly threw his legs over the bed’s edge and Mei Lin held her hands out in case Yi Fan faltered. “I’m fine, Mei.” When he went into the bathroom to brush his teeth, he noticed that his clothes were different from the ones that he had on Sunday night. Oh right, I showered… He found Mei Lin on the couch scrolling through her tablet when he was done. Did she clean this whole place? “Mei…”
 
Mei Lin got up immediately at the sight of her boss nearly tipping over. She helped him back to his bed and checks his temperature again. “You really should take it easy.”
 
“Did you clean—”
 
“No, I hired a maid.”
 
“I might be sick but I can still tell when you’re lying.” Mei Lin kept quiet. “Thank you.”
 
“Don’t mention it, sir.”
 
“Mei,” Yi Fan said. “My name is Yi Fan. We’re not at the office or anything right now and—”
 
“I know,” Mei Lin said. “It’s a habit. My apologies.”
 
Stop being so formal with me. “Wake me up in half an hour, would you?”
 
Mei Lin agreed but she found herself haven fallen asleep as well and so Yi Fan woke up on his own about an hour later. He decided to shower and forgot that Mei Lin was likely to still be at his home. He walked out into the living room in nothing but his boxers and a towel over his head. Mei Lin was passed out on the couch but Yi Fan didn’t see her as he made his way to the kitchen for something else to eat, now that he felt a lot better. It wasn’t until Yi Fan sees that the oven was on did Yi Fan remember that there was someone who has been taking care of him.
 
He was about to dash back into his room to dress himself more properly when Mei Lin’s phone sounded due to a text and she woke up. Yi Fan was now pinned and stuck in the kitchen as Mei Lin checked her phone. She looked up at the time and jumped, remembering that she was supposed to wake up her boss over half an hour ago. She went into his room but he was neither in his room nor the bathroom. “Sir?”
 
“I thought I told you to call me Yi Fan,” he said, walking into his own room as if everything was normal.
 
Surprisingly (and disappointingly) Mei Lin is unfazed by the sight before her, although it is magnificent. “Sorry,” Mei Lin said. She then noticed the other tattoos. That’s his mom’s name on his right arm. Was that what I saw? A scorpion? Yi Fan grabbed a shirt to pull on before Mei Lin could see the tattoo that appeared to be across Yi Fan’s upper back. Tattoos and piercings and bleached hair…you’re practically screaming rebel.
 
“Like what you see?” Yi Fan teased as he pulled on sweats.
 
Mei Lin shrugged, “I don’t dislike it.” Cockiness means he’s feeling better. “You should take care of yourself, sir.”
 
“I won’t if you keep calling me that,” Yi Fan said.
 
Why are you insisting that I call you that now? “Wu Yi,” Mei Lin said sincerely. “Please take care of yourself. Sleep; eat; just stop punishing yourself like this.” Hurting yourself like this isn’t going to change anything.
 
“I’m—I’m sorry.” Yi Fan sat down on his bed as Mei Lin took the turkey roast out of the oven. She prepared a plate and brought it to Yi Fan. “If the corporate thing doesn’t work out for you, you could always open a restaurant.”
 
“I’m flattered, sir, but that’s mostly thanks to Henry.”
 
“Aren’t you going to eat?”
 
“I’m fine.”
 
“You can’t tell me to take care of myself if you don’t do the same, hypocrite.” Mei Lin cringed at the last word but brushed it off as Yi Fan just being himself again. When he was done and she took his plate to the sink, Yi Fan went to brush his teeth again. Mei Lin was staring at the few pictures that Yi Fan had on the walls when he came out. “Hey Mei.”
 
“Yes, sir?” Mei Lin asked, having to tear her eyes from the picture of little Yi Fan and a younger version of his mother.
 
“Thank you for being here,” Yi Fan said. “I know you didn’t have to and—”
 
“It’s my job,” Mei Lin says simply.
 
And how you are in general. “Still—” Yi Fan lost his balance mid-sentence and Mei Lin caught him but the weight forced her to drop onto the bed. “Sorry.”
 
They two were sitting side by side on Yi Fan’s bed with Mei Lin under Yi Fan’s arm and even though his weight was no longer completely on her shoulders, Mei Lin didn’t move and stayed there until she was sure that Yi Fan was stable. However, when Mei Lin tried to slip out from under his arm, Yi Fan leaned a bit harder on Mei Lin and brought his left arm closer to him and in turn keeping Mei Lin from getting up. Mei Lin readjusted herself instead when she realized that she wouldn’t be getting up any time soon. She repositioned her arm that barely wrapped around his whole waist and shifted her posture.
 
“Wu Yi,” Mei Lin said after what seemed like hours.
 
Mei Lin looked up to find that Yi Fan had fallen asleep again with his head rested slightly atop of Mei Lin’s. She moved him the best that she could without waking him but he stirred and opened his eyes just as Mei Lin pulled away. He tried to get up but Mei Lin stopped him with her touch. Having learned how powerful it could be the day before, Mei Lin (literally) tries her hand again on Yi Fan; only this time, she ran her fingers through his soft locks. Yi Fan hummed, sounding pleased before moving his head in the direction of the loving touch, asking for more. She rubbed her fingers in circles and combed out any little tangles he might have had. He was soon sound asleep and Mei Lin made preparations for another meal.
 
Yi Fan woke up Wednesday morning to an empty house and a waiting meal. Right next to it was Yi Fan’s schedule for the week. How she does this, I’ll never know.
 

 
“Uh, hello?” Victor asks, waving his hand over Yi Fan’s eyes.
 
“Let’s just say that I know first hand what kind of person she can be,” Yi Fan says. “And if you’re lucky, assuming that Lau doesn’t kill you, you’ll know too. Just don’t hold your breath kid.”
 
I won’t.
 
 
 
 
 

Translations/Author's Notes:

  • "Let’s hope I don’t fall down." = Mei Lin is making a reference to the nursery rhyme "Ring a Ring o' Roses" or "Ring Around the Rosie" which goes back to Gale's simile of the black plague.

  • The song that Amber plays in the club is Down by Jay Sean (ft. Lil Wayne).

  • Jook = Congee or rice porridge. Chicken jook is like the American equivilant of chicken noodle soup for when someone is not feeling well. The ingredients that Mei Lin uses is to give it a bit more volume (meaning, making it more filling).