Trust

Found You, Saved You

 

 
(Minhyuk's POV)
 
For the second time, I stood outside Sujung's house. She didn't pick up the phone and I got really concerned about her, so I decided to look after her. 
 
I rang the doorbell and a man opened it up. It was probably her father. 
 
"Hello, I was just wondering if Sujung  was here..?" I asked. The man looked at me with a kind smile. 
"Yes, she's upstairs in her room. Just come in!" he said and gestured me to come inside. 
 
Wait... I thought Sujung said her father was horrible! Maybe this isn't him. Maybe it's her uncle or something. 
 
The man followed me upstairs to where Sujung's room was. 
When he had walked back down, I knocked at the door. 
 
"Appa... I.. I-" she stuttered. Her voice was scared. 
I opened the door slowly and entered her room, before closing the door again. 
 
"Lee Minhyuk-ssi?!" She gasped and looked up at me with big eyes, where she sat on the floor. Her eyes were filled with tears and her cheeks were red and wet. 
 
I pouted. Why did she have to call me so formally. Something in my heart hurt when she called me 'Lee Minhyuk-Ssi'. 
 
"Why are you still calling me 'Lee Minhyuk-ssi' ?" I whined. 
I walked towards her and sat down on the floor beside her. I didn't like seeing her with tears in her eyes. It made me feel so bad. 
 
"You didn't pick up any of my calls," I told her. She looked down at the floor.  
"What happened?" I asked. 
 
When she didn't answer, I pulled up her chin carefully for her to meet my eyes. The tears in her eyes were forced to stay where they were, she didn't allow them to fall. 
 
"How is your foot?" I asked her. 
She hesitated. Then she looked down to the floor again. 
"It's... gotten worse..." She replied weakly. 
Now I understood that her father must have hurt her again. That's why she sounded so scared when she thought it was him coming in the door. 
 
"Then I'll take you to the hospital to see how bad it is!" I stood up. I should probably talk to her father about this, taking her out that is.
 
I walked downstairs, leaving Sujung speechless in her bedroom. 
As I entered the living room, I could see her father sitting in the couch, reading the newspaper. 
 
"Excuse me, Ajusshi," I said and bowed when he looked at me. 
"Sujung-ah hurt her foot at school today, and I am worried if it is broken. Can I have you permission to take her to the hospital to see if it's bad or not?" I asked carefully. 
 
The man in front of me swallowed hard. He hesitated before answering me. 
"Ah.. Yes, you may have my permission." Was his answer, his voice sounding unsure. 
 
I bowed and thanked him before I went back upstairs. 
There was something weird with that guy... He was so fake! I feel so sorry for my Sujung, she is the one living in this hell!
 
...My... Sujung? She's not mine yet. But she will be! I will be there and protect her, I will make her mine. 
I know I'm still quite young, I'm only 19 years old, and I know she is only 17, but I'm so sure about her. There is something special about her. 
 
 
I walked into Sujung's room to find her on the exact same place as I had left her, an sat down in front of her with an yoga position. 
I smiled softly at her while she kept staring on the ground. 
 
"Sujung-ah~" She looked at me with puffy eyes. She was cute even if she cried. 
"Why...?" The look on her face was confused. 
"Let's go!" I said and smiled at her. 
 
Before she could even say anything, I lifted her up, bridal style, and walked out of the house. She kept silent the whole way to my car. 
I put her carefully in the front passenger seat and fastened her seatbelt. 
 
When I was seated safely myself, I noticed how Sujung was staring out of the window with frightened eyes. 
I bent over to see what was taking her attention; Her father was standing in one of the windows, giving her a death-stare. 
 
I took her hand in mine, making jumped slightly at my actions. 
"It'll be okey," I told her when she met my eyes. 
I let go of her hand and drove off to the hospital. 
 
 
 
"Can I speak with Doctor Choi?" Sujung said to the Lady  in the reception before I could even open my mouth. I looked at her with a slightly shocked expression. She had obviously been here before.
 
The lady told us to sit down and wait for the doctor, and I helped Sujung to the chairs in the waiting section. 
"So, have you been here many times?" I asked her carefully, just to have a subject to talk about. 
"Maybe once every fifth week..." She responded with a low voice. "If I'm able to walk."
 
I looked from the ground to Sujung. She was beaten that seriously that often? How could she have the courage to live until now, when she is mentally and physically abused by her father, as well as being bullied and beaten at school? She must have the strongest soul of all people. She is probably having panic attacks by now...
 
I didn't know what to say. No matter how much I tried to understand her situation, I couldn't do that completely. 
 
"Sujung-ah... Can I ask you something?" I said. She turned her head and locked eyes with me, signalising me to go on. I took in a deep breath before continuing. 
"How do you have the courage to live?" 
 
She froze completely at my words. Maybe I shouldn't have asked her such a question, but I wanted her to think. I didn't want her to consider suicide, just think a little how she hasn't been killed until now. 
 
"I... I don't want to seem weak..." she said and turned her gaze to the floor again. "I don't want to lose against death. I don't want the world to win against me. Even so, there are days I only want to die. It's not like I've never considered suicide, but I don't see the point in dying. I was born to live, not to just die a hopeless death..."  
 
She made me speechless just now! The question I asked her, was already answered in her head. She was very vice, actually. 
 
"Kim Sujung-Ssi?" I looked up to see a doctor standing in the door opening. "You may come with me."
I helped Sujung up from her seat and into the doctors office. 
 
"Who are you?" The Doctor asked me after I had helped Sujung to a seat. 
"I'm Lee Minhyuk, nice to meet you," I said and bowed. "I go to the same school as Sujung-ah."
 
"So, you've managed a friend? That's great!" The doctor said happily and clapped his hands together. 
"I... don't know... if he's my friend..." She mumbled under her breath, probably not wanting me to hear it. 
 
"Of course I'm your friend! I thought I told you that before," I said and took a seat at the opposite side of the not-so-big room. 
 
 
Doctor Choi looked at her foot. He was checking every corner of it. Sujung even had to bite her lip to prevent any cries to escape from the pain.
"Is there anything else but your foot?" Doctor Choi asked while he was putting bandage on her foot and ankle. Luckily it wasn't broken. 
 She hesitated on answering. It didn't seem like she was going to say anything about the gigantic mark around her waist. 
 
"She's hurt on her waist," I said as Doctor Choi was about to stand up. He looked from me to Sujung, who was looking at the ground. 
"Will you show me where you are hurt, Sujung?" He asked her carefully. She hesitated before pulling up her t-shirt. 
 
"Who did this to you?" Doctor Choi asked after he had approached her bruise. 
"I... I did it..." She murmured.
My eyes widened. Was she lying about her father abusing her? Was she really saying that she did this herself?!
"Sujung-ah... You need to stop hurting yourself this seriously," doctor Choi told her. 
I decided to stay silent in this situation. 
 
"I want you to stay here for a couple of days, Sujung-ah," Doctor Choi said after he had checked her up. "I'll call your father if you don't prefer doing that yourself. I'll be right back."
"No, I'll call!" I blurted out. They both looked at me with confusion. "Since I took her out, isn't it best that I call?"
 
Doctor Choi kept silent for a few moments, then he replied me. 
"If that's your wish, then you may call. I'll still be right back," he said and went out of the room. 
 
"Give me your fathers number," I said and looked at Sujung with a soft smile, holding out my hand. She clicked on her phone for a moment, before handing me the number. 
I dialled the number I was given with my own phone, since I figured it was safer to use my own one. 
 
"Yoboseyo?" I could hear a mans voice say. 
"Hello Ahjussi. It's Lee Minhyuk who's calling," I said with a very polite tone. If there something I'm good at, it's talking formally to my elders. 
"Ah... Minhyuk-ssi," he said in a wondering voice. 
 
"I just called to say that Sujung has to stay at the hospital for a few days because of a few serious bruises." I said and looked at Sujung who was wearing a scared expression on her face. 
"Oh... She..." I could hear him say through the phone. He didn't know what to say, obviously. "Just return her home safely when she can come. I have somewhere to be right now. Good bye."
He just hanged up in a hurry..
 
 
I looked at Sujung who was refusing to return my gaze. 
"Was it really you who did that?" My voice was somehow sounding disappointed. 
"No... I wouldn't do that," she said and looked up at me. 
 
"Why did you lie?!" I asked with a loud voice. How could she lie? She's going to the hospital so often, still she was saying it was herself who hurt her. 
"What would I do if someone found out my father abused me?! What would happen to me then?!" She yelled back at me. I haven't heard her voice this loud before. I was taken aback by the sudden shouting. 
 
"If they found out it was him, I wouldn't have anywhere to go!" She continued with tears in her eyes. "I don't have anyone else but him! When eomma died, her family turned their back at us, and appa ran away from his family when he was younger! If he is to be arrested, I'll probably end up at an orphanage or on the streets!"
 
I found myself speechless. She really had nobody but him?
"I don't know what you want with me, but if you intend to step into my life, you can never tell anyone about this! You are the only person who knows. And if your wish really is to be a part of my life, you should be aware of one thing; I am a horrible person! 
Everything about me is wrong! There is a reason nobody likes me. I may not be entirely sure what the reason is, but they've all made it clear that there is something wrong about me!" She yelled. 
A tear slid down her cheek, but she quickly rubbed it away. 
 
"...Sujung-ah, you may follow me to your room." Doctor Choi suddenly said. I didn't notice him come in. He probably heard her shouting at me. 
 
I helped her up from the chair and followed the doctor to a single-room. He signalised me to put her down on the bed, and I did exactly that, before backing away. 
 
I looked around the room. It was all white with light purple curtains. Three pictures of flowers and cats were hanged up on one of the walls. 
 
"Sujung-ah, please let this guy help you," I could hear Doctor Choi say with a low voice. I pretended to not pay attention, because it didn't seem like I was suppose to hear him. "He is someone you can talk to, someone you can relay on."
"What if he isn't?!" She snapped back, her voice not so low.  
"You need someone to talk to! He wouldn't have been here if he didn't want you to trust him. Until now, no one has treated you like he does. Please, just try and let him help you." He said with a confident voice. 
 
"I'll come back tomorrow and see how you are doing," he said and walked towards the door. His voice was loud and clear, sounding like a real doctor. 
He stopped in front of the door.
"Minhyuk-ssi, can I talk to you for a second?" He asked, looking directly at me. I quickly followed him out to the hall.
 
"Tell me this completely honest;" he said with a serious voice. "Do you want to help Kim Sujung, or are you just playing around?"
"I want to help her!" I said confidently, pressing my right hand onto my chest in honesty. 
 
Doctor Choi sighted in relief. 
"If that is your intention, please talk to her. I don't believe it is herself doing the damage on her body. I am aware that her schoolmates are doing a lot, but I think there may be someone else doing most of her serious damages. As well, I think you've heard her lack of confidence. I came to hear her yelling at you about her being a bad person." 
I just nodded my head as he was talking to me.
 
"Take care of her, help her, that's all I ask of you," he said. 
"Of course I will help her! She doesn't deserve treatment like this. I don't care how long the progress will take, but I'll make her better! I swear I will," I said, still holding my hand onto my chest. 
 
"Is there any chance... You like her?" He asked me. I looked away, blushing. How did he figure that out?
"I see," he chuckled. "I hope you won't leave her if your feelings for her ever change." 
"I've already promised myself that I will still take care of her if that is to happen," I told him. 
 
"You should go home and rest now, it's getting late." He said, signalising that our conversation was to be over. 
"I'll stay here with her, I'm not going home!" I said and looked into his eyes. 
"I will at least return to my office now. I'll se you tomorrow then." He said and nodded his head at me. 
"Yes, good night," I replied and bowed before walking back inside. 
 
Sujung was sitting on her bed with both her feet on it, leaning her back on the pillows. 
I took a chair and sat down beside her bed. 
 
"Sujung-ah, there is nothing wrong with you," I said. She looked at me with an emotionless face.  "I am not here to hurt you, I only want to help you."
"Is it really okey for me to rely on you?" She asked, tears starting to fill her eyes.  
"Yes it is! I'm here to help you. I don't care about the trouble you may cause me, I won't leave you alone until you have recovered completely!" 
 
 
"Lee Minhyuk-ssi, why do you like me when you don't even know me?" She suddenly said. I felt my face heat up and my eyes widen. How did she know? Was I really that obvious?
"Ho-how...?" Was all I could get out of my mouth. 
 
"There is no way you would just help me for no good reason, so I figured you might like me," she said with low voice. 
"You're right, I do like you, a lot to be honest. I don't expect you to return my feelings, but I hope you will one day," I confessed. 
 
I was hoping she would say she liked me back, but she just kept silent. Not that I blame her, though. She met me for the first time not even 24 hours ago. 
 
Suddenly, she started sobbing. She had her hands on top of her head, gripping her own hair. 
"I don't understand! How can someone like you, care for something like me?!" she cried out. She didn't even see herself as an ordinary person... Did she hate herself that much?
 
"Sujung-ah, you are not some weird 'thing', you're not an object," I said and sat down on the side of her bed, her up and down the back to calm her down. "I find you special. You're a beautiful and kind person, you shouldn't look at yourself that low. You have the strongest soul I've ever come across! 
If there is something you are carrying in your heart, you should let it out, that will ease your pain. You should know, that you can talk to me about anything. I'm here to help you," 
 
She started to calm down, and was crying silently. 
"Are you some fallen angel, sent here to save me...?" she asked slowly. I chuckled slightly at her words. 
"I guess you can put it that way," I answered. 
"But if you loose your feelings for me-," she started. 
"Yeah, I'll still be there to help you, even if I'm not in love with you anymore. I've already promised both myself and Doctor Choi that," I said, cutting her off. 
 
"Thank you," she said, and hugged me. A big smile covered my face, and I hugged her back, holding her head onto my chest.