Found You

Found You, Saved You

   (Sungjae’s POV)

 “Eomma, why was Sungmi never brought home?” She stopped with her cooking for a moment, freezing completely.
 “They never found her,” she replied with a sigh, continuing with the food, “The detectives looked for almost a year, and there was no trace of her, so they had to stop the investigation.”

 “It’s been nine years, one month and fourteen days-”
“Are you still counting? Sungjae-yah, I know it’s hard, but your sister is gone. You should try and forget it all.”
 “Eomma, I can’t!” I told her, stomping my foot, tears filling my eyes. “She’s your daughter! Why don’t you care!?”
 “I do care, but it’s been a long time now.”

Almost losing my temper, I walked back up to my room. What was wrong with her? She had never cared. No one did! My mother and father were both completely hopeless! All they could offer me was money and a place to stay and food to eat. Not for once did they show any kinds of love towards me. Did they not realise it hurt?

 Nine years ago my sister and I were kidnapped and held captured by a group of people who wanted my parents’ money. At the time, she was only 5 years old, and I was 7. We were together the first fourteen days, locked up in a cellar with almost no food nor water, but then they took her away. I could remember it clearly. I did everything to stop it, to prevent them from taking her, but as only a child I had nothing compared to the grown men surrounding me.

 Usually, I did not think too much about what happened all those years ago, but when Sujung disappeared, the memories were somehow brought back. Even if it was not the same, it was quite similar to what I experienced. I was so jealous of Minhyuk’s will to find her. I wanted to believe that she was still alive and out there somewhere just as much as he did. I did not want him to experience the same as I did.

 As much as I could, I stayed with him and made sure he didn’t lose it completely. I spent so much time with him since the whole incident happened, Donggeun even became jealous and thought I liked Minhyuk instead of him.

 “Sungjae-yah, do you like Minhyukie Hyung or do you like me?” I burst out in laughter, but Donggeun still kept his straight face on. “I’m serious.”
 “Of course I like you the most, Hyung!” I assured him, taking his hands in mine, “And even if I liked Minhyuk Hyung, that wouldn’t get my anything at all. He already has somebody else.”

 “You are not allowed to like anyone else,” he said, looking me dead serious in the eye, “I’m your Hyung so you have to listen to me!”
“Relax, you’re the only one I want.” I leaned closer and pecked his lips, then rested my head on his chest, just looking at our fingers that were laced together.
 

 “Sungjae-yah, dinner is ready,” Hyunmi, my older sister, said as she entered my bedroom, sitting down beside where I laid on the bed.
 “When did you get here?” I sat up, looking at her. She usually did not come and visit home anymore, as she had moved in with her fiancé.
 “Just now,” she said, “But I’m leaving again. I only had to find something.”

“If you’re leaving, can you take me to Donggeunie Hyung?” I asked, hoping to god she would say yes.
 “Are you not going to eat with Eomma and Appa?”
“I don’t want to,” I pouted.
 “You have to eat something, or else I won’t take you anywhere,” she said, crossing her arms.

 “Noona, can’t you just buy something for me?” I asked, blinking my eyes cutely at her.
 “Yah! I know where this is going, don’t you even dare!” she warned, standing up and pointing a finger at me.
 “Noona please~” Knowing she became weak to the knees whenever I used aegyo against her, I used my best aegyo, hoping to get something.

 “No!” she said, backing away, but I only came closer.
“Buy food for me Noonaaa~” I clung onto her arm, trying harder than ever.
 “Fine!” Finally she gave in and I squealed in happiness.
“Let’s go!”

 

-

 “You’re here!” Donggeun exclaimed as I entered the entrance door, not even allowing me to close the door behind of me before he pecked my lips.
 “Hyung!” I giggled, a dark shade of pink creeping around my cheeks. He laughed at me and took my hand, starting to lead me up the stairs.
 “Hyunsik Hyung and Ilhoonie are here too,” he said before we entered his bedroom.

 “Yah, Yook Sungjae! What took you so long?” Ilhoon asked as I entered.
“Hyunmi Noona and I ate together,” I explained.
 “I hope you’re not full because I was thinking maybe you wanted to eat something else later…” I looked at Donggeun, eyes wide.

 “HYUNG!”
“IT’S FINE THAT YOU GUYS ARE TOGETHER, BUT DON’T TALK LIKE THAT!!” Ilhoon screamed, looking as if he was going to die.
 “Really, keep the nasty talk for yourself,” Hyunsik commanded. Donggeun only laughed, finding everything hilarious.

 

-

 

 

(Sujung’s POV)

 “Yeoboseyo?” My fingers trembled as I held the phone. Not ever had I been told that someone wanted to talk to me over the phone. I was not sure why, but I was slightly frightened.

 “Ki-kitty?” The voice I heard made my heart skip a beat. It sounded familiar, but I could not remember where I had heard it at first. Until it hit me. But it could not be him… Could it? 
 “Minhyuk…?” I questioned carefully. Was it possible that it was him?

“I can’t believe I finally found you!” Tears started to stream down my face. It really was him. It was Minhyuk! After nearly a year, I was finally hearing his voice. “You have no idea- I’ve looked everywhere for you!” I could clearly hear that he was crying as well.

 “How are you? Are you hurt?” 
“I-“ I looked at the guard standing further away in the hall, watching me. His words repeated themselves in my head; don’t say something you will regret. I could not tell him, could I? But I had to! This was my only chance.

 “Minhyuk, please help me!” I pleaded with a low voice, tears hitting the ground. “I’m begging you...”
 “Don’t worry, I- I will come and get you. I promise!” His voice broke.
“I’m so scared, all they do is hurt me-“ The guard started walking in my direction. I felt panic approach me. I needed Minhyuk to know what was going on inside of these walls so he could come and help me.

 “Th-they hit me and kick me a-and starve me-“ The guard snapped the phone away from me, and the last thing I could hear before he hung up was Minhyuk screaming my name.

 “Don’t say anything you will regret… Maybe I wasn’t making myself clear enough?” He put the phone into his pocket, and took a good grip on my hair, making me whimper in pain. He dragged me by my hair to a room, where he slammed my head against the wall several times, until blackness took over my sight.

 

 (Minhyuk’s POV)

 

 “Sujung-ah! KIM SUJUNG?!” I screamed, but there was no answer, the call was already ended. I sat back on my bed, not knowing what to do, and let my tears fall. I was so happy I finally found her, and I could not describe how good it felt to finally hear her voice, but I was so scared. She had been in a completely horrible place all this time. I was scared she was even more ill now than before.

 I ran downstairs, found my mother and wrapped my arms around her, sobbing into her neck.
 “I found her!” I choked out, holding onto her tightly. “She’s in a hospital, a-and she’s hurt!”
 “Minhyuk, relax…” she told me, patting my back. I could hear on her voice that she was quite taken aback.

 When I had calmed down slightly after a while, she took me to sit down in the couch, handing me a glass of cold water.
 “Did you really find her?” Eomma asked, looking at me with somewhat concerned eyes. I nodded my head, running a hand through my hair.
 “I’m going to take her out of there-“
“Minhyuk, how exactly have you planned to do that?” Eomma cut me off.
 “I don’t know… but I’m going there now.”

As I stood up, she didn’t try to hold me back. She knew there was nothing holding me back from going there right now.

 Stepping outside the door, I suddenly bumped into someone.
“Hyung, where are you going?” Sungjae asked, but before he even finished his sentence, I wrapped my arms around him, hugging him tightly.
 “I found her!” I cried, tears of happiness flowing again.
“Y-you found her?” Sungjae stuttered, taken aback. I only nodded in response, not really sure of a good way to respond.

 “Were you going to see her now?” he asked, patting my back lightly.
“Yeah… Do you want to come with me?” I sniffled, drying my tears away.
 “Of course!” Sungjae said, his eyes brightening.

-

 

 Sungjae and I entered the large hospital building. It did not look like a typical hospital I was used to see in the city, it looked like a really old and abandoned hospital you would see in movies. Scary and dirty.

 There was no one to see in the entrance hall as we made our way to the counter where a young lady sat, chewing a gum while reading a fashion magazine. Her black long hair was tied up and she was resting her feet at the counter, luckily keeping one leg over the other as she was wearing quite a short skirt.

 “Excuse me,” I said carefully, dragging her attention. She looked at me, putting her magazine down and moving her legs to the floor. “Is this where Kim Sujung is hospitalized?”
 “Are you the guy who called a while ago?” she asked, not even caring to smile. Everything about this place just seemed so sad, and she wasn’t really helping with lighting up the atmosphere.
 “Yes, that was me,” I said, already a little impatient.

“I would like you to write her out of here, because I’m here to take her home,” I told her straight out.
 “What kind of relationship do you have to the patient?” she asked in a bored manner, raising an eyebrow.

 “I’m her boyfriend.”
“That won’t do,” she said, chewing on her gum, “I need permission from a guardian or someone over 19 who knows her well.”
 “Is that really necessary?” Sungjae questioned, brows furrowed.
“Yes, it really is necessary,” the lady said flatly.

 “I am over 19,” I stated, feeling annoyance boil inside of me.
“You don’t look like you’re over 19…” she said suspiciously. “Can I see an ID card?” I took out my ID and showed it to her. She took it out of my hands, eying it closely before she spoke up. “This looks fake.”

 “It is not fake!” I looked at her in disbelief.
“This Hyung really is 20 years old,” Sungjae said, looking at her through angry eyes.
 “I don’t believe you kids,” she said, placing her legs back on the counter and taking the magazine back into her hands, pretending as if we were just plain air.

 Both Sungjae and I just stood there, looking at her in disbelief, and after a moment, she sighed and returned our gazes, clearly annoyed.
 “Why are you still here? What do you want?” she asked.
“Can I at least talk with her?” I pleaded.
 “I’ll go and ask,” she said through gritted teeth, walking away.

After a few minutes, she came back.
 “The patient you want to meet is unable to see you right now, but you can come back later,” she said, offering a really fake smile, before sitting back down in the exact same way as she had before.
 “What did you do to her?! Why can’t I see her now?!” I felt paranoia approach me. Sujung told me what they did to her, and our conversation over the phone was cut off so suddenly, for all I knew she was unconscious at this exact moment.

 “She is just busy,” the lady said, “Now get lost.”
“No! We’ll wait here until we’re allowed in, or else I’ll break my way inside,” I told her, piercing my eyes at her.

 As she gave no response, so I took Sungjae with me to a pair of chairs that were placed further back in the hall, sitting down.

 After three hours of trembling, the lady finally approached us. I looked up at her, eyes filled with hope.  “If you really want to see her, you can come now,” she said, not offering a single happy vibe. We followed her inside the locked doors.

 “Hyung, this place is really creepy!” Sungjae whispered as we followed her through a white and empty hall. He was right. The whole place made me shudder. The only things that could be seen were guards standing by every third door. And there were a lot of doors. Everywhere there were doors, and nothing else.

 “We’ll give you some time, but you’ll be escorted out before you know it, so say what you want to say quickly,” she said as we stopped outside one of the doors. She unlocked the door, and as she opened it, I could see a thin girl stand inside the room, hair reaching her thighs. The door closed, and the girl turned around.

 I quickly made my way up to her, taking her hands in mine and bringing my lips against hers.
 “I can’t believe it’s you…” I whispered, resting my forehead against hers, tears of despair flowing. “I’ve missed you so much!”

 Sujung did not say anything, she only cried. Holding tightly onto my hands, but her knees soon gave in, and she fell to the floor. Quickly, I kneeled down by her side, bringing her to my chest, holding her close, drinking in her presence. The tighter I held her, the louder her sobs became.

 “Kitty, it’s okay,” I told her, my voice so weak it only came out as a whisper. Tears were flowing from my eyes as well. It felt so unreal to have her in my arms again after nearly a year. I didn’t want it to end. Ever.

 “I’m sorry!” she choked out. It stung to hear her first words to be ‘I’m sorry’.
“No, you don’t have anything to be sorry for. I’m the one who’s sorry,” I told her, my fingers through her hair.
 “Minhyuk, I’m scared!” she clenched her fingers around my jumper, holding it in her fists.
 “I know,” I told her, trying my hardest not to cry in order to make her feel more secure. “I’m going to do everything I can to get you out. I promise.”

 I cupped her face, brining my lips to hers once again, somehow managing to calm her down by only the contact.
 “Now stop crying and talk to me. I don’t have much time to stay with you,” I told her, drying away her tears that only kept falling. No matter how hard I tried, a few tears still escaped from time to time on myself, and it seemed she had the exact same problem. They just wouldn’t stop falling.

 “Noona!” Sungjae sat down beside of us, smiling brightly at her. I could see tears in his eyes as well, but that maknae didn’t cry as easily as his Hyung.
 “Sungjae-yah!” she wrapped her arms around him, hugging him tightly. “I missed you!” Again, sobs were coming out of her trout. She was so happy to see us, and it made me happy to see her as well, but the whole situation only made us all sad.

 “Sungjae, do you have a sister?” Sujung suddenly asked after calming down a bit again. She removed her hands from him, only to entangle her fingers with mine, looking at Sungjae with teary eyes.
 “I have an older sister, why?” Sungjae looked at her with a surprised expression. I was definitely just as curious on why she asked him that question all of a sudden. Out of all things, that was the first thing she wanted to talk about when we finally met?

 “You don’t have a younger sister? Or at least had before?” Sungjae turned his head down, avoiding both our gases. He changed somehow. His presence became darker. I furrowed my brows, not understanding what she was talking about.

 “Was her name Yook Sungmi?” Sungjae’s head shot up at her question.
“H-how did you know?” he asked in shock. I was confused.
 “You have another sister?” I asked him, turning curious.
“She- she disappeared nine years ago…” he murmured, looking down at the ground once again.

 Sungjae had a sister he had never told me about? He was exactly the same as I, he knew how it was to lose someone he loved? That explained why he was so eager to help me… we went through the same thing.

 “She’s not gone,” Sujung said. Slowly, Sungjae turned his head up to look at her again. “She’s here. In this place. Please take her out of here, because she’s so tired, and they’ve been so rough lately!”
 “I’ll do my best...” Sungjae said in a low voice, clearly taken aback.

 I was at a loss of words. Sungjae had a sister who could die. Most definitely, he already thought she was dead, as he had never even mentioned a younger sister.

 “Noona, your wrists…” I looked down at our hands, seeing deep bruises around her wrists. She let go of my hands and tried dragging the sleeves on her jumper to hide the marks, but I did not allow her to. I took my arms around her once again, kissing the top of her head.
 “I’m going to take you home soon,” I told her, “I won’t let them hurt you anymore.”

 The door opened and a guard dressed in white walked inside. Sadly, both Sungjae and I got the message and understood it was time for us to leave. Sujung seemed to have understood what was going on as well, because she took a grip on my jumper, holding it tightly in her fists.

 “Kitty, let go… I’ll come back soon,” I whispered, my voice breaking.
She shook her head, “Don’t leave me again.”
 “I will never leave you. I promise to come back soon.” Again she shook her head, but she let go, backing slightly away from me, hiding her eyes behind her bangs.

 Hesitantly, I stood up on my feet, helping Sungjae up as well.
“I promise.”

 

 -

 

 I sat together with Sungjae on his bed, both of us completely blank. I did not know what to think. I had finally found her, but they would not let me take her with me, and it broke my heart. Yet I did know how to get her out. I would send Eomma or Changhyuk there, make one of them tell the horrible lady there that they were her guardian. It could not go wrong.

 But I was almost even more worried about Sungjae at the moment. I never knew about his sister, and he had been awfully off since Sujung said she was at the same place as her.

 “Sungjae-yah… Why did you never tell me?” I looked at him. He was trembling slightly, tears visible in his eyes. “What happened?”
 “I-“ He was unable to form words. All I could see in his eyes was emptiness. I had never seen Sungjae behave this way. “It- N-nine years ago-“ He took a deep breath, closing his eyes for a moment.

 “Hyung, nine years ago, Sungmi and I were kidnapped. Those people who did it wanted money, but before they got them, they were hurting us, torturing us. I was only 7 at that time, and it was so horrible, I can’t really remember everything clearly. But they took her away. Our parents had a certain date they had to give them the money, but when the money didn’t come, they took Sungmi away.

 I tried to prevent them from doing so, but they were much stronger than me and I couldn’t do anything. Instead, I could only watch and try to talk them into leaving her alone. But of course that did not work… So my parents were given one more chance, and if they did not give them the money they wanted by the next said date, they would take me too. Fortunately, they managed to save me.

 I didn’t say anything to you because I didn’t know how to say it… The only one who new until now was Donggeun Hyung. As time went by, I managed to not think so much of what happened, I still counted the days that passed by though. But when Sujung Noona disappeared, the memories just came back. I never wanted you to go through losing someone like that, because I knew how you’d feel.

 I only had Sungmi. Our parents never cared, and Hyunmi Noona was never home, so I wasn’t able to play much with her, but Sungmi and I always stuck together. I just miss her so much, and if she really is in that place, then I really want her back, but seeing how they denied you to take Sujung Noona with you, I’m so scared I won’t be able to save her before it really is too late, and I’m scared it will be too late for you to save Noona too…”

 

-

 

 (Sungjae’s POV)

 After following Minhyuk to the door, I went into the living room, wanting to have my mothers’ attention for a little while.

 “Eomma.” She looked at me, motioning me to go on. “If you ever could, would you want to have Sungmi back here?”
 “Sungjae are you still at th-“
“Just answer my question,” I begged.
 “Of course I want her back Sungjae, but you really have to face it; Sungmi is never coming back. She’s dead and she has been dead for nine years.”

 “She’s alive…”
“What did you say?” She knitted her brows together, looking up at me in confusion.
 “Minhyuk Hyung and I went to visit his girlfriend at some mental hospital, and she said Sungmi was there. Sungmi is alive.” I explained, trying hard to stand on both my feet and not fall to the floor.

 Eomma was silent for a long moment, looking shocked. I could not tell if she was shocked because she was happy to know her youngest daughter was still alive, or if it was because she was angry because she now knew there was another kid to take care of.

 “I’m calling your father,” she finally said, standing up and walking out to the hall. When she came back, she asked me where this place was, and I gave her the address, and not too long after, she hurried out the door.

 I was confused of what happened, it had all happened so fast. Was she going to tell Appa she thought I was crazy and put me into that place too or was she actually going to save a life, I did not know. All I knew was; I had to wait until she came home.

 During the time I was waiting, I did nothing. Nothing at all. I just simply laid on the couch, waiting. Honestly, I was not sure of what to do. Maybe I should call Donggeun and tell him that I knew where Sungmi was, or maybe I should call Minhyuk and tell him there was a possibility she would return home tonight.

 

 Two hours or so later, I could hear the front door open. Quickly, I sat up on the couch, not sure whether I should go to the hall or stay in the living room.
 “Eomma and Appa has some important things to do, so stay with Sungjae Oppa for a while. He is very excited to see you again.” Eomma walked inside the living room, holding one arm around the shoulders of a thin and pale girl. Even if she looked almost dead, I was able to recognise her. Those eyes and that nose. It had not changed at all.

 I walked my way to her and pulled her in for a hug.
“Sungmi-yah!” I cried, tears falling as I held her in my arms. I could hear Eomma tell me to take good care of her before she left, and what else would I ever do.

 “Can you please let go of me? It hurts and I’m confused.” A shaky chuckle left her trout. I immediately let go of her fragile body, taking her with me to sit on the couch.

 “D-do you know who I am?” I asked, sniffling as I tried not to let my tears fall.
 She shook her head. “No… I’m really confused. Those people from before claimed to be my parents and took me here. I don’t understand anything…”

 “They really are your parents, Sungmi-yah,” I told her carefully. The poor girl looked so lost.
 “Does that mean you’re my… Oppa?” For the first time, I could see some kind of light in her eyes. I nodded my head, embracing her once again, this time more carefully.

 “Yes, that’s right,” I said, her hair. “Oppa is going to protect you and help you and everything will be completely fine. I know where you’ve been, and I’m going to replace all those horrible memories with good ones.”
 “Your name is Sungjae, right?” I hummed in response. “Earlier today, my Eonni told me someone came to visit her, and she said she promised me that I would be allowed out soon… You were one of those who visited, weren’t you?”

 “I was actually. Together with Minhyuk Hyung. We went to visit Sujung. She told me you were in the same place as her, so I told Eomma and she went to get you out immediately.”
 “Will she get out soon too?” she asked, hugging herself closer to me.
“Hyung is currently doing everything he can to manage just that. I’ll let you meet him when she’s home safely. Right now, Minhyuk isn’t in a good state of mind.” I told her.

 “You can close your eyes if you want to. I’ll stay here and protect you.”  I could feel her shift slightly in my arms, leaning herself against my chest comfortably. I planted a kiss on the top of her head before leaning back against the couch.

 When she had fallen asleep, I let my tears out, quietly. It was impossible to describe how happy I was to have her in my arms. Just like nine years ago. Whenever she had a nightmare or was scared because our parents fought, I would hold her in my arms until she fell asleep. I always wanted to protect her, and I still wanted to. Nothing was going to take her away from me.

 

 

 

*Author’s note*

 Hello everybody!!!

Now you know Sungjae’s past! You weren’t expecting that, were you? I guess it wasn’t so hard to tell that Sungmi and Sungjae were siblings though.
 And Minhyuk finally met Sujung! Mixed emotions in this chapter; one girl saved, another still lost in that horrible place… It would have been so much easier if that lady would just let Minhyuk take her with him… Nappeun Gizibae…

 HOWEVER!!! There is something I want to tell those of you who are subscribing and excited and hoping for quick updates… Now I am currently busy with exams and the 4minute concert is only a week away.  But there is also one thing I feel like you guys deserve to know, because it is quite an important reason to why I am not updating quickly.

 I am actually falling into the cycle of EDNOS, and because my state is quite bad, there are days I really want to write, but I’m too weak to actually do so. My doctor, and everybody else though, wants me to get help so I can be “healthy” again, because I’m already going to lessons for managing anxiety, but as my mind won’t really function I can’t really manage to take up the subject and let anyone help me eat more. My daily calorie intake is currently on the average of 300 calories per day.

BUT I WILL FIGHT HARD AND GIVE YOU GUYS UPDATES!!!!!!!!! I just felt that the lot of you deserved to know! I promise to update soon <3

 

 Please comment, subscribe and upvote if you haven't~~