chapter13

My Last Encounter

The sickness invaded my tummy, no longer butterflies but now it feel like roaches.

I lift up my face and look around the empty hall. The "beep.. beep.." sound making me nervous. Just about a couple of hours ago I was exprencing the greatest moments in my life. But now I'm breaking down and torn apart.

I couldn't think a single thing, after feeling his cold and motionless body I quickly ran to the nearest public phone and dialed 911 for help. They arrived moments later and quickly put him on the stretcher and carry him into the ambulance. They put an oxygen mask over his face. They said his heart had stopped beating but they could still feel his pulse. I was afraid.

And now I'm waiting outside the ICU for any new news from the doctors.

When the doctors came out of the ICU, they had this strange look on their face. They neared me and their head hung low. As they were about to speak, from the other corner of the hall way I could see people gushing through. A mid-year old lady and a mid-year old man.

They stopped right beside me. Is he Suho's parents?

"are you Ill Suho's guardians?" Did the doctor read my mind?

They both nod.

"I'm sorry for having to tell you this, we couldn't save him. His leukimea had attacked all of his system. It was confirmed that he had passed away since last night"

The doctor lowered his head and lead us inside to see his face for the last time. Suho's parents followed the doctor into the ICU ward. I stood there, stunned and speachless. Then I slowly followed their trail. On the cold metal operating bed was a lifeless body of  a boy that I had just talked to last night. His body was covered with a white sheet only revealing his pale dead face.

"I told you not to get angry with him" Suho's mom sobbed.

"Do you think I don't love?! I was worried sick.." His father replied and I could see tears rolling down his cheek, his mother followed and they both hugged to comfort each other.

I didn't even realized that I was crying too.

"If only we could have done more for him, it was all my fault for not taking good care of him since he was diagnosed" his mom was getting sobber.

"There's nothing we could do. It was his own choice that he stopped the chemotheraphy"

"I hope he got what he wanted"

The doctor pulled up the white sheet, covering his face.

Good bye.

I walked away, out the ward and walking through the empty hall way. My knees getting weak. I fell on the floor, crying.

From afar I could see someone running towards me.

"Yoo!"

"Kim Yoo!"