chapter1

My Last Encounter

CHAPTER1

It was a beautiful morning, the clouds hung in the majestic sky, rather as protecting the earth from the orange beam that shone little by little to this misty ground.

Knock! Knock! You heard someone by the door, “can I come in miss Kim?”.

“Yes”. You answer shortly and look away from the window and look to the opening door.

“I brought you breakfast, how are you feeling today?” the nurse, a 24 years old lady smile to me. So far, she is the youngest and kindest nurse I had encounter while my 17 years old life here.

“pretty well”, I smiled back to her.

“here, eat up”, she handed me a tray of porridge and orange juice.

“thank you”, I took the tray and put it on the bedside table and watch her as she step out of my room, closing the door politely.

I continued looking out the window, wondering how would life be if I was on the other side of the window, out of this cold jail life. It may be impossible due to my condition. I was diagnosed with brain cancer at the early age of 4 years old and since then I had always been in the hospital, living my life as a patient and only a little as a student.

Sighing, I started to eat my breakfast slowly, munching and swallowing.

As I finished I jolted to the floor, putting on my fluffy slipper and headed towards the door, I peek outside, it was still quiet, maybe because it’s still early in the morning?

“maybe I should go for a walk?” I grinned as the devilish plan took place. I look at the counter, somebody was there, talking to the she-wolf nurse, ok, she’s not a wolf but she is the meanest and fiercest nurse in the ward. I often got caught by her, tsk, I wash the memory away and tip toed across the counter.

Yes! I made it pass her!

I left as quickly as I pass and headed towards the door, out to the open.

Gosh it’s so fresh being out of the cold department.

“good morning earth!” I shouted.

“good morning”.

“yikes! I didn’t know earth can talk?” that had certainly shocked me, I look around frantically, searching from where the voice had come. Does earth really talk?

“haha” I heard it again. “and I didn’t know you would believe that”.

It’s a boy. Wow, I had never talked to one. He’s rather tall and had features as I imagined.

“you’re a boy” I blurted out.

“why yes I am” he smiled sweetly.

I blushed at his kindness.

“so, what are you doing here in such time?” he sat next to me on the small park bench.

“j-just admiring” I stutter a bit, shy.

“it must be boring in there, huh?” he looked at me.

“yes it is! How’d you know? Were you in there too?” I ask him excitedly.

“no, I’m just visiting” he answered.

It became awkward.

“Kim Yoo!” I heard somebody call out to me with a fierce tone, oh no. I stood up quickly and left the boy.

“I got to go” I shouted and ran to the door.

“Kim Yoo” the nurse stood in front of me, I’m dead.

“yikes” I shrieked.

“I told you not to wonder around”, she scolded me.

“I’m-s-sorry” I look down, embarrassed.

“come on let’s get you inside” the nurse took hold of my hand and drag me away from the hospital’s garden. I glance back and saw the boy waving towards me.

“do you know him nurse Shin?” I ask the nurse, she turn around to me and ask.

“who?”

“him” I turn to look again but he had already left.