Acceptance

Melancholia

Acceptance |akˈseptəns|

(n) in human psychology is a person's assent to the reality of a situation, recognizing a process or condition (often a negative or uncomfortable situation) without attempting to change it, protest, or exit.

 

XP, or Xeroderma pigmentosum is a very rare skin disorder…

 

“I’m sorry Yeollie… I’m sorry…”

“It hurts…”

“I’m sorry… we’re near…”

 

…Where a person is highly sensitive to sunlight…

 

I shouldn’t have fell asleep with him…

I should’ve stayed awake to warned him…

 

… The person has premature skin aging and is prone to developing skin cancers…

 

“I’m sorry Mrs. Lee… I’m sorry…”

“It’s okay Myungsoo… It’s okay. He’ll be fine…”

“I … I … I’m terribly sorry…” he trembled.

 

….This is caused by a cellular hypersensitivity to ultraviolet light…

 

“He’s fine Myungsoo, Sungyeol had faced a lot worse than this…”

“I caused it this time Mrs.Lee… I’m sorry…” he began to sob, it became an emotional tears when he saw him… He was sitting on the bed inside a pitch-black room and the curtains were drawn. No light could be seen… But what made him cried even harder were his eyes…

 

The disease usually progresses through 3 stages. The first stage is areas exposed to the sun such as the face show a reddening of the skin with scaling and freckling. Irregular dark spots may also begin to appear…

 

“Where’s Yeollie hyung, mom? He promised me he’d tell me where Soo hyung brought him…”

“We’re on the way to see Yeollie, Jongie…”

 

…The second is where there are irregular patches of lightened or darkened skin, a spider web-like collection of blood spots and vessels are seen through the skin, and there is thinning of the skin…

 

“Soo hyung… Where’s Yeollie hyung… Why are you crying?”

“Sungjong ah…” he couldn’t stop his tears… He kept blaming on himself.

 

…The third stage is the development of skin cancers. Other complications, including eye and neurological problems…

 

“Why are you crying?”

“I did this to you… I’m sorry Yeol… I’m sorry…” he broke down when he saw his smile. It was so sincere it broke his heart… Life is not fair…

“No… It’s not your fault… It has happened a lot…”

 

…Eye problems occur in nearly 80% of xeroderma pigmentosum patients.  It becomes painfully sensitive to the sun, easily irritated, bloodshot and clouded…

 

“Hyung… Your eyes…” Sungjong gasped in shock… His precious brother smiled… He still looked beautiful even with those eyes.

“Do I look like your favorite creature now?” Sungyeol chuckled. Sungjong could see his brother held Myungsoo’s hand tightly.

“Your eyes…” Sungjong continued… “They are red…”

“They are stained with his blood.”

 

… XP patients should follow these general precautionary measures, avoid sun, undergo frequent skin examinations, examination by a dermatologist at least every 3 to 6 months, frequent eye examinations, and yearly testing (through to age 20) for potential neurological problems…

 

“The fireworks were so beautiful Jongie… They were shimmering… I was blinded by it and fell asleep… The next thing I knew was my body felt hot…”

“I wasn’t supposed to fall asleep too…” Myungsoo cut Sungyeol’s word…

“Sush… You were tired. I was supposed to make an alarm, but I didn’t. So no, Not entirely your fault. I still kind of blame you though, I could’ve seen sunrise for the first time, but we were happily sleeping”

 

…Many patients with XP die at an early age from skin cancers. However, if a person is diagnosed early and takes all the precautionary measures to avoid exposure to UV light, they may survive beyond middle age…

 

“What are you talking about hyung… This disease you’re having… Since when did you have it?” Sungjong asked…

“Since forever… It’s in my DNA…”

“Is it curable?” Sungjong could see it on the edge of his eyes, Myungsoo’s tears rolled down on his cheek. Sungyeol only smiled… the word he said… killed Sungjong inside.

 

 

 

“No…”

 

… Some XP victims with less severe cases manage to live well into their 40s, Nonetheless, fewer than 40% of individuals with the disease survive beyond the age of 20.

 

 

-------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------

hallooo guysss. thanks alot for the comments. :'D i cant belive you have commented and subscribed *sob* so yeah, the cat is out of the bag. i notice a person gets the clue and knows the disease. yeay to youuu! :D anyway keep reading.. and dont be afraid to give me some feedback about the way I write, or the story. :D I love you guys. *kiss kiss*