Plans

What's My Story? [Discontinued]
 
Chapter 7
 
Plans

“I want you to be my personal assistant for two months.”

 

y woman in front of me says what?

 


 

“She went and said what?!”

 

I winced at the high-pitched tone as I pulled the phone away from my ear. I sat at my computer, surrounded by papers, both mine and Minae’s.

 

She’s seriously forcing me to do her dirty work for her. And I had to try and make sure my handwriting is the same as Minae’s otherwise I’m in deep trouble.

 

This isn’t high school anymore, you know? Minae, you’ll fail university even if my work were good for you.

 

I let out a sigh, thinking that it’s no use trying to convince about terminating this ‘contract’. Aish, that girl thinks everything’s a game, I thought with a groan.

 

I put the phone back to my ear, holding it between my head and my shoulder as I tried to multitask. “I know right? Min, what am I going to do?” I spoke, worry shown in my voice. “I can’t go to the concert this week because of her! Now SHINee will be disappointed in me if I don’t show up!”

 

She grew so much onto me over time that I liked her enough to trust her with this real me. Of course, SHINee are still trying to get this ‘me’ out often, as usual, but I refused to, staying firm as a brick wall.

 

It’s not like I don’t want to show it to them! It’s just that I need more time around them.

 

“Damnit, that Minae, she really dislikes your guts, She told me, her voice holding a tone of disbelief and annoyance. I made a sound of agreement, nodding with my head as I focused on the work, my hand moving on its own with the pen between my fingers.

 

Nado ala (I know right)? And I did nothing to her!” I said as I switched the phone to my other side to get comfortable with my position, resuming my work as I continued to write. I noticed a thin slip of paper as I held up with my free hand.

 

Are these…shopping cheques? I scowled at the sight of it before slapping it down on the desk, my hand on my forehead as I let out a frustrated growl.

 

What the hell!

 

She is even pushing it this far to wanting me to sign her cheques for shopping? What for, the concert?

 

God, I don’t like that woman at all.

 

Kangdae was so upset with his sister the moment I explained why I had come inside the mansion with all these papers in my arms. He did not look so happy when Minae came inside the house, startled by her brother’s glares.

 

“Aish, Minae! You are not taking this seriously! How could you do something like that?” I would hear him argue with his sister from downstairs every now and then. Their relationship has severed as they had not talked to each other for some time, Kangdae’s attention now only on me as he tried to comfort me, despite not being able to help me get out of it.

 

My stepmother seems to be enjoying this torture I’m getting. I scowled at the memory of her laughing at me, teasing me now that she know I am practically Minae’s servant.

 

I sighed and resumed writing—as I stopped while I was in my thoughts—and spoke into my Samsung smartphone, “I think she will do anything to keep me away from meeting up with SHINee. These girls are getting way too jealous just because they had one female friend!”

 

I heard an awkward cough from Min on the other side of the phone before I corrected myself, realizing that SHINee hadn’t got one female friend after all, “Correction: two female friends. This is so high-school cliché!”

 

“Been there, done that, and I totally ruled the building that time when they knew about my relations with Minho.”

 

I chuckled to myself when she said that with pride.

 

I looked at the time and I could see that it had gotten late. I sighed, realizing I’m halfway done with all of this heck-load of paperwork, but not quite finished. I had started this from evening as soon as I got home, all the way until it was almost midnight—and possibly even longer since I still have to complete this work.

 

Damn. I didn’t get to do my daily music routine today. I guess it wouldn’t be a routine anymore…

 

“I got to go, Minnie. I really need to finish up these works by tomorrow,” I told her, frowning a little as I eyed the leftovers that I have to complete. “Tell SHINee about what happened today, okay? I am sure they will understand.”

 

“Alright, I will try to do that! Take good care and luck with that whole assistant thing, Mi-chan!” She said, bidding me goodnight before she hung up the call.

 

I put down the phone and stretched myself, groaning as I released the stress and pressure in my shoulders before looking at the papers on my desk.

 

So much work to do…!

 

I sighed, cracking my shoulders and neck before I nodded, forcing myself to continue working on them.

 

This will be a long night.

 


 

Friday at last! And it is the big day for the concert too!

 

By the time I stumbled onto the campus behind Minae, I instantly became a laughingstock. I grunted as I struggled to carry my bag, her bag and her large pile of books in my arms, my knees slightly trembling from the amount of weight placed upon me.

 

Not only that, but my appearance was just as shocking as seeing me become a slave for Minae.

 

My face burned red in embarrassment and I wanted to cry. I glared at Minae with teary eyes when she looked back at me with that sick grin, as if mocking me.

 

“Oh, sorry! Would you like me to lessen the load for you? Here, let me help,” said the girl as she only took out one book from the pile in my arms. “Better?”

 

I growled in response.

 

Everyone was laughing at me, hurling insults at me as they claimed me to be a strange thing.

 

Not a person—a thing.

 

Do I need to describe this for you?

 

Alright then. You asked for it.

 

It was ridiculous. My red-brown hair was just all over the place, absolutely frizzy from not having it straightened. My skin become deteriorated from the lack of sleep since I continuously worked on the load of work my stepsister gave me. I did not bother to think about fashion today as I just threw on a baggy t-shirt and ripped shorts. My pink sneakers squeaked on the polished floor of the university, as if displaying my misery.

 

I looked like a geeky kid, what with the big, nerdy glasses I’m wearing but I looked much worse than that when I had bags underneath my eyes. I look like a zombie as I even walked like one, my eyes dead as I could only stare straight ahead with no soul in my irises.

 

At least I brushed my teeth, otherwise I would smell of rotten fish. I scowled to myself, hiding my face behind the books to get away from the attention. Even though this was a legible reason for them for stare at me and laugh like I’m a circus freak, I don’t like it.

 

Minae stopped in her tracks, causing me to run into her back. I shook my head from the impact and scowled at her still figure, just about to speak up when I heard a shriek from the distance.

 

I moved to the left to see what was going on in front her, when I saw SHINee coming over to us from the distance. Well, more like running over to us. I suppose Minae thought they were coming over to her since she smiled and walked over to them, but as soon as they came close, Key merely scoffed at her and roughly pushed her aside as he strutted towards me.

 

I have to admit, that was so diva of him. I had to laugh.

 

“Omo! Mi-baby, what happened to you? You look hideous!” Key shrieked as he held my face between his hands, examining my dirty appearance. I didn’t even feel like protesting to his honest attitude.

 

“Key-eomma,” I whined, burying my face into his chest as I wanted some comfort from his embrace. “I can’t do this anymore!”

 

Key simply whispered comforts as he wrapped his arms around him, my hair while I snuggled into his arms.

 

I felt a hand rubbing my back and another my hair as well. I assumed it was Taemin rubbing my back because I could feel his rings pressing against my clothed skin. Jonghyun must be the one my hair alongside with Key because from the corner of my eyes, I can see white hair and wide shoulders, his low-cut shirt revealing most of his chest so I could see that little mole on his skin.

 

I can hear Minho and Onew scolding Minae, Minho’s voice being the loudest—“Are you her so-called friend or what? You have no right to treat her like this!”—as they looked at Minae with a disappointed expression on their faces.

 

Minae just stared at them with a shocked look, stammering with flushed cheeks, yet an angry emotion burns in her eyes. She huffed furiously when they left her and walked over to me as I pulled back a bit from Key’s embrace, taking a good look at the concern on their faces.

 

Key pulled away from the hug, his hands strong on my shoulders as he looked at my disarranged appearance again. He eyed me with worried eyes and said, “We’ll head over to the school council room so Min and I can fix you up, okay?”

 

I just nodded as if I was a child as SHINee dragged me away from glaring eyes and their whispering conversations.

 

Of course, not before giving back the books to Minae.

 

While Jonghyun had his hand on my back as he escorted me to the area, I glanced back to see Minae frowning, her eyes sparking a lot of emotions. However, I never knew what emotion she is displaying as we disappeared around the corner, her figure vanishing as we took the turn.

 

I looked back and glanced at SHINee for a while before looking down.

 

Just what is it she’s thinking when she looked so sad?

 


 

I expected it the moment I stepped inside the room.

 

“Wow, you really look like ,” Min mumbled with a terrorized look on her face as soon as she saw me come in the room in a state that nobody wants to see.

 

I can feel the pitiful glances at me within the people of the Student Council but I forced myself to not notice. It was weird to have people worrying for me since I was so used to not having anyone around me.

 

That is, until I met SHINee.

 

“You can say that again,” agreed Jonghyun as Key set me onto a chair. “Minae seriously had her whipped!”

 

I glared at Jonghyun beneath the mess of my hair, my lips turning into a dirty scowl. I got a playful grin in reply.

 

“Hold on, let me ask around for something, okay?” Min told me, patting my shoulders before going over to a duo of girls from the distance. Both were black-haired but one was taller than the other was. I recognized before, when I came in here once.

 

The tall one was Suzy, whom everyone loved and adored because of her sweet looks. I felt envious of her, having the compliments to herself, but then realized that she did not want to be like a “deity”. I sympathized with her when she said that she rather be normal than to be treated as a person they cannot touch.

 

The shorter one was Luna, the mood maker of the group aside from Min. She was very cheerful and active, and talked a lot. I could hardly keep up with the conversations but I found it enjoyable to be around her. It was interesting to see the background check of the students in here.

 

While Min went to ask for a request, Minho crouched down in front of me as I sat in my seat, holding my hands on my lap. “Can you explain what happened that you turned up to be like this?”

 

I was so glad my cheeks had a natural pink blush to it because I can feel it growing red now. I inhaled then exhaled, calming myself before finally speaking, “Last week, Minae came up to me and forced me to be her assistant without my consent. Since that day, she has been giving me work to complete for her. I didn’t have any rest because of that.” Then I said with furrowed eyebrows, “Did Min not tell you about this?”

 

Onew rubbed his nape, his dark brown eyes looking anxious, “I remember her trying to tell us, but we were so busy we forgot to go to her after practice. We were working for the concert tonight, so we were all worn out,” he told me in which I nodded in understanding.

 

I mean, they were bound to forget at one point, right? They even have to do rehearsal at where the concert is located!

 

“I’m surprised with the fact that you became Minae’s assistant by force. She must have been resentful of you hanging with us that she did such a thing. What makes it worse is that she is your stepsister!” Jonghyun said in slight shock, but a tone displayed knowledge, as if he sort of expected it. I had a feeling about that too when she asked me, but I didn’t prepare myself for it.

 

Min came back with the products while Key had already started brushing down my hair, trying to straighten it. “It’s ridiculous!” cried Min as she shook her head, setting down the makeup products and looking at which to use before coming to me with the foundation. “How can such an abusive person overwork someone to death?”

 

“Min, that’s over exaggerating it,” Taemin spoke up with a raised eyebrow. “She wouldn’t actually do that to Mija!”

 

“But she could try!” Min took my glasses, gasping when she had made me vulnerable to letting SHINee seeing my bare face before closing my eyes to avoid seeing their faces. They haven’t even noticed me at all. “If she can make Mija look like a zombie, then she can try to make her look like a skeleton!”

 

Key whined, letting out a complaint as he hit Min on the head with the hairbrush, earning a yell from the latter. “Can you stop being all negative, please? You’re giving me images that I don’t want to see on Mija!”

 

I exhaled, letting out a sigh as Min smoothed the foundation with a brush and added concealer to hide my bags before deciding to speak up after hastily putting on my glasses, “I am really sorry, guys.”

 

“What for?” asked Taemin, who looked at me in surprise.

 

“It’s just,” I paused for a moment, biting my lower lip before answering, “I just don’t think I will be able to come to your concert.” Then I turned to Jonghyun who looked stricken. “I’m really sorry. I know how eager you were to have me there, but with the situation I’m in now, I think that’s just next to impossible.”

 

Min snorted. “It is impossible. We’re talking about Park Minae here!”

 

“Min, you’re not helping,” deadpanned Minho, who groaned with a roll of his eyes.

 

Jonghyun chuckled at the Choi cousins before replying to me, “That’s alright, Mija. At least you tried your best. I was looking forward to see you there in the concert too.”

 

Key scoffed. “Well, not actually see you as we’d be too busy dancing and goofing off onstage and looking elsewhere to find you,” he said with a shrug as he then got onto the works of curling my hair.

 

“Key, please.”

 

“What? I am just stating the truth! Can you see Girls’ Generation in our concert while we’re performing?”

 

I giggled at the silly conversations between Jonghyun and Key as they argued, the time passing by quickly with laughter in the room.

 

After a while of talking and getting to know those who were in the Student Council, as soon as Key had done the last curl of my hair, I was finally done. I looked at myself in awe in the hand mirror—I look good as new!

 

Only…prettier.

 

I glanced at the duo behind who were smiling proudly like parents. Key looked satisfied with his work, so did Min.

 

“You look beautiful again! Just like the cute nerd I know you are!” Key squealed, making me blush red all over.

 

“Key-eomma, can you not?” I stomped on my feet like a grumpy child, embarrassed by his honest outburst. My attitude made the entire group laugh at the amusing fight I’m having with Key, with me trying to shut him up while Key just gush on about how cute I look.

 

It’s embarrassing, but I liked the fact that he is trying to make me feel better nevertheless. He wanted me to be happy and free from the agony of my stepsister.

 

After all that trouble, we all went out and got ready for our classes. I bid goodbye to them, but you know what’s surprising for me?

 

As soon SHINee left, Jonghyun ran back to me and kissed me on the cheek, grinned at me before running away like the kid he is.

 

I think my heart just did a triple thud.

 

Ow, that hurts, I frowned as I patted my chest. That actually hurts! Can’t I go to the hospital for this?

 


 

I hate Minae.

 

I suffered the day with a lot of ordering around from Minae, her words echoing around my head.

 

Mija, do this project for me”—she said once she shoved the papers into my arms.

 

You’re hopeless, can’t even get one coffee for me?”—she said after being late for five minutes trying to get her order on time.

 

Hey, you! Yes you, who else stupid? Carry my bags”—she said after I waited for her to finish her shopping duties with her minions.

 

What the…? What is this gibberish? Start over!”—after I tried my very best to complete her 200,000 words essay on society.

 

Ooh, sorry! Instead of café latte, I feel like getting a caramel macchiato”—she completely changed her mind…!

 

Hearing her voice echoing inside my head was driving me crazy, with Minae calling out my name repeatedly.

 

Mija, Mija, Mija…!

 

Ugh!” I let out a loud exclaim as I threw myself onto my bed, punching the pillow with my fists. Kangdae was there in the room, sitting on my chair next to the computer as he stared at me, watching me having my outburst with worried eyes.

 

“I hate this! I hate this stupid contract! I hate Park Minae and her stupid…her stupid minions!” I cried out before looking at Kangdae with an exasperated expression. “Why? Why me? Why does it have to be me out of all people?”

 

I feel like I’m dying—and it hasn’t been a month yet!

 

Kangdae got up from the chair and walked over to me, sitting next to me before wrapping his arms around me, as if comforting. “I’m sorry this has to happen to you. I will find a way to stop this nonsense. Maybe—maybe I can persuade her somehow? Would you like me to blackmail her? I know she’s my sister but I can’t let her keep doing this to you…!”

 

No matter how much I disliked her, I don’t dislike her enough for her to be blackmailed. That sounded too harsh on her. Not only that, but I’ve realized that venting all this out wouldn’t help change Minae’s mind, and instead would convince her to expand the two months into five months or worse.

 

I shook my head, pulling back to look at him. My eyebrows were knitted together, a look of discontent on my face. “I appreciate it, but that is pushing it, Kangdae.”

 

Kangdae shrugged his shoulders.

 

Rolling my eyes, I peeled myself away from his arms, creating space between us on the bed. “You are such a nice person, Kangdae, and I appreciate how you stand up for me. But this is different. This is what fate has in store for me, and since this happened, I just have to deal with it,” I told him. “I don’t like it either, but who am I to stop her?”

 

We sat in silence until we both heard Minae calling out from downstairs.

 

Appa! I’m going to the concert with Eomma! See you later!

 

Alright, take care of yourself!

 

A yell of her confirming his request was then followed by the slam of the door, the slight vibration felt through the floor underneath my bed.

 

Kangdae sighed to break the silence as he got off my bed. “It would have been easier to attend that concert in a disguise,” he told me before pausing. Then he let out a small ‘Ah’, as he looked at me with a smile. “Your friend, Min, is related to an idol, right? I’m sure she could get you tickets. After seeing her once at university, she seems very positive.” I smiled at him, knowing fully well that he is correctly. Min may be a bit out of control, but I know she means no harm of it.

 

“I have a feeling she might be standing outside your window late at night and make you sneak out,” he told me with a slight chuckle. However it doesn’t sound like he is joking, and a part of me was a bit worried that it could happen.

 

I let out a nervous chuckle. “Kangdae, that’s nonsense. She doesn’t even know where I live!”

 

Kangdae shrugged his shoulders. “It’s a possibility!” Then he patted my shoulders. “Just hang on in there, okay? You’ll get through it, and before you know it, it’s already over!”

 

I sighed sadly, scowling a bit when he ruffled my hair before leaving me in my room, exiting out the door. I was left alone there as I sat on my bed.

 

I really wanted to cheer SHINee on. I wanted to see them make the best out of it in their concert.

 

I looked around, seeing the papers stacked up on my desk before hanging my head low with a grunt.

 

Sigh.

 


 

I stretched my arms after I’ve completed everything Minae assigned me to do.

 

I’m sure she’ll be happy with it, I thought with a grimace as I left the papers on the desk, not bothering to organise them.

 

I decided to surf around the internet as a bonus for completing all of the hard work my stepsister gave me.

 

Plunk!

 

I didn’t hear it as I hummed through the headphones I had on. I watched the video on YouTube, bobbing my head swaying slightly to the tune, paying no attention to what was happening outside my window.

 

Plunk!

 

This time, I did hear it, and it was louder than before. I stopped moving and removed my headphones, looking around the room. “What was that…?” I asked myself as my eyes scanned the room, wondering about the noise I’ve heard earlier.

 

Plunk!

 

Okay, now that was a loud one. I looked towards the window near my desk, seeing a small pebble thudding against the glass. Setting my headphones down onto the table next to my computer, I got up from my chair. “Who could it be?” I mused as I approached the window, opening it and looking out.

 

I did not expect to see Min standing below, happily waving at me.

 

Min?!” I exclaimed, my eyes wide and my mouth gaping open. I was truly surprised at her arrival. “What the hell!”

 

“Hiya!” Min called back, a toothy grin evident on her face as she frantically waved at me.

 

Well, what do you know! Kangdae’s assumption was right after all!

 

“I definitely do not remember telling you my address, Min!” I called out with furrowed eyebrows. She, on the other hand, just giggled at my sharp response.

 

“I may or may not have snuck into the administrators’ rooms and looked into your files!” She laughed in amusement while I rolled my eyes with a groan.

 

First, it was SHINee at my lockers, now it’s Min appearing in front of my house? I think they are stalkers!

 

“Anyway, what are you doing here?” I asked, leaning my arms on the windowsill. Min gave me a smirk before she took out something from her pocket and showed them up to me. I leaned forward a bit to get a closer look before I gasped, realizing what they were.

 

VIP Tickets? Backstage passes? I eyed them again before letting out a small squeak. And two of them?!

 

“I am not going to the concert without you. It’s your first night, and I will not let you miss that opportunity,” said Min as she looked up at me with serious eyes and firm lips. “You deserve to have fun, and you were really excited to go to the concert, so I want to make that happen for you.” Then she smiled at me. “You are my friend, Baek Mija. And I want to do this to prove that I am grateful for having you in our life.”

 

Seeing her expression and her determination to make me be at the concert, I felt touched. I am glad I had a friend like her. I’m glad to have met her.

 

 “I appreciate it, Min. Thank you, really!” I grinned at her before my smile fell, remembering that I have been confined her until Minae comes back home from the concert. “I wish I could go, but how can I go there without having Minae and/or my stepmom seeing me and know that I have snuck out of the house to go to the concert?”

 

I saw a smirk form on her lips. And something tells me that it doesn’t feel like a very good idea to me.

 

“Oh, don’t worry. I have a plan.”


Author's notes: N/A