Talent Showdown

What's My Story? [Discontinued]

I played with the pendant and I nodded subconsciously. You truly have become my inspiration


This is it—today’s the day.

The talent showdown sign-up which comes every year, I found this information out when I first came here in my first year (still in my first year). We practice for five weeks until the given deadline. Seems like fun if you were in a group.

Though I doubt I could join.

“Hey Mi-chan, what’s up~? Aren’t you going to sign up for the showdown?” Min asked me as she took a seat next to me at my table during lunch time. SHINee was off elsewhere, sitting at their newfound table, enjoying themselves—and basking into the glory of swooning girls surrounding them.

I shook my head, “I won’t—in fact, I shouldn’t. Even if my music scholarship says that I’m good at singing and musical instruments, I doubt that everyone here in this university would care about me joining this whole malarkey.”

“It’s not malarkey or whatever you call it! It’s fun!

“Unless you count Min-Ae trying to drag me out of it—which I do not need by the way.”

Min stayed quiet with the mention of Min-Ae’s name and I sighed, thinking that it was just ridiculous to keep this going on forever. Who cares if she betrayed her? They need to make up and be 2Min again.

“Listen, sooner or later you guys need to make up. You’ve heard what she had done for me—she saved me and while I was being ‘Sora’, she was softening up. I can break into her and find out that reason why so I can be her friend!”

“But I don’t want you to be her friend—what if she’s playing an act?”

“Aish, Minnie, stop being so negative! It’ll bring wrinkles to your pretty face!” I wasn’t lying, she does look pretty—no, gorgeous with a hint of cute. Plus, she had dyed her hair in a darker colour of brown, matching the same color as Minho’s.

Minho. My face went red as I thought back to that day when he almost tried to kiss me. Then there was Onew, who kissed me on the forehead, thus having my head all messed up. And then, theres Taemin. Gosh, his smile was just so sweet and adorable, but sometimes, all of his good looks are just killing me—and he doesn’t even know that.

Then Jonghyun… …No, really, I have no idea what to feel for this guy. But he’s one adorable puppy and I’d love to take care of him every day.

I look at the SHINee table to see them conversing well—all but Taemin. He seems to be staring at something, or rather, someone.

I followed his gaze to see a tall, brown-haired female, her eyes cute as a rabbit along with her button nose. Her hair was bob short but it matched her completely – whatever hairstyle she had before that. Her smile almost matched like Taemin’s and I began to wonder if she was Taemin’s sister—even though I knew that was just plain ridiculous, considering the fact that Taemin only got one older brother.

“That’s Choi Sulli. She’s not related to either me or Minho if that’s what you’re thinking,” Thank you for clearing that up Min. “But she’s Taemin’s ex-girlfriend.”

I didn’t know he had an ex-girlfriend. Last time I checked, he was a man who knew nothing of dating. “What happened that made them break up?”

“Not them, but who broke up the relationship. Sulli did, in fact.”

“Why?”

Min sighed and set down her latte (I’m strangely reminded of Min-Ae, where is that girl anyways?) as she looked at me fully.

“It was because they were about to debut. They dated when they were trainees together. I was there when it happened and I’m not kidding when I say this but Taemin fell for her hard.

“They were the cutest couple on earth, and it was entertaining to see Taemin stuttering and unable to come up with the right actions. Hadn’t it not been for the other SHINee members, he would’ve gone crawling into a very, very, very deep gap—we wouldn’t want that otherwise we can’t get him out.” I laughed at what she said before calming down to let her continue with the story. “Then the break-up as soon they were announced that they were going to debut. Because they were afraid that it might damage their reputation and damage their personal life as well with not having enough time with one another as they may have busy schedules in the future—Sulli had to come up to him and drop the bomb. He understood though, even if it hurts…” I looked over to see Taemin staring at Sulli with hopeful eyes, but the female was too busy laughing with Luna and the others.

“Oh, she came from f(x) if you didn’t know—Luna’s the group with her.”

I nodded before looking back at SHINee. My blood boiled when the —I mean, Su-Min—came over and smiled at them, who smiled back at her.

I know that smile of hers anywhere, and that wasn’t a genuine smile.

In a matter of fact, I can tell SHINee wasn’t liking her—I mean, who would after knowing that she was my (and theirs) enemy who ruined me in the bathroom? I’m so glad the gauze was off of my head because it was causing such a nuisance.

My eyebrows twitched when her hand touched Minho’s shoulder and I could see it sneakily going to the hems of his shirt, playing with it. Minho pretended to not have noticed, but every once in a while, I could see his hand curling up into a fist around his can, as if wanting to pretend that it’s Su-Min and start choking her.

“Ooh, jealous?

“Will you stop answering my questions with my gaze? I find it creepy!” I screeched and stood up from my seat, chomping onto my banana hard as I left the lunchroom.

“Hey, I was kidding! I didn’t think it was that serious!” Min called out, grabbed her stuff quickly before she caught up with me.


I stared at the sign-up sheet posted onto the pillar. There were at least five sheets of them and only two had been filled.

“I think you should join.” A voice whispered in my ear. I jumped back to see Kangdae smiling at me.

“Oh, Kangdae-oppa, you scared me!” I sighed, putting a hand over my racing heart. But I was surprised to see him here—it’s not every day I get to see him in university, especially when he’s in a different class with a higher level.

He chuckled, “Mianhae, but jinjja, it’ll be more than anything to see you perform on that stage. Plus, SHINee will be judging you as well.”

Huh, SHINee is going to be the judges?

“Hwang Su-Min is doing the judging on everyone’s performance as well.” His voice was laced with a hint of disapproval.

I should have known. Anything involved with SHINee, shell go. At least shes not like Min-Ae who gives them space. “I knew it…if she’s involved with the results, then there’s a chance that she’s trying to get me to lose.”

“Not a chance, you still has SHINee. That would be 5 against 1.” I smiled at this statement.

“What about you, oppa? Are you going to join?”

Kangdae looked thoughtful at this. “Hmm, I’m thinking of showing off my guitar skills or perhaps my rapping.”

I remember hearing him rap for the first time when I passed by his room. He was really good, probably better than Minho and Key, but hey, they’re all good in their own ways. I cannot compare anybody to anyone, because it makes me look like I’m criticizing them. “Well, I’d like to see you perform for once—at least everyone would like you.”

I whined when I received a flick on the forehead, “Oi, don’t say that Mi-ja, you’re putting yourself down.”

I guess he’s right, I am putting myself down…

“Anyways, I’ll be off. Who knows? I might be in a duet with you!” I laughed at this. I waved goodbye to him as he left before I looked back at the sign—up sheet.

“…Well, I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try…” And so I picked up the pen from the table next to the pillar.


“…Omo! You’re going to do the showdown!? Kyaaa~” Min and Key practically screamed in my ears, hugging me tightly. I groaned in pain from their death hugs.

“Oi, oi, oi~ you’re killing Mi-ah! Look, she can’t breathe!” Onew yelled out, which caused the duo to jump back and let me go, finally able to gather air into my lungs.

Jonghyun smiled at me, “I’m so glad we’d be able to hear you sing! I want to know how your voice sounded like so I can put you into one of my songs!”

Eii~, you can’t do that Jonghyun-hyung, she’s not signed to SM at all—our fans will start wondering why you have put an unknown female into one of your written songs.” Taemin stated, playfully pushing Jonghyun away.

He’s right—I’m not an idol, nor do I intend to be…maybe.

“I’m so glad you decided to give this thing a chance! We’ll be giving you a good result for sure!”

“Aish, don’t do that! It isn’t fair for others, you know. Plus,” my eyes averted to the eyes of the girls around us before looking back at the group quickly after seeing the deadly glares, “I’m sure you do not want to see me getting killed if you guys gave me a result just because you like me and I’m your friend. It’s all about effort. Effort, people; effortwe all have that!”

Minho chuckled, “Ara, ara~ we get it, bossy face.” He began to whine when he earned a flick on the forehead from me.

“Serve you right!” I stuck my tongue out at him when he stuck his out at me.

“Anyways, we’ll be going—we got our own thing to do other than being judges.” Key said. I nodded as SHINee all left but I could help but chuckle when Key whined, Aish, were idols and we are going to do the judging? Im tiredI dont wanna do so many things at once! and a scolding Minho, Shut up, you complaining diva!

“It’ll be so much fun! I’d get to do all your makeup and make you look gorgeous!”

I smiled a little at that, but as we walked, I could not help but feel like something is coming.

“Minnie, gomawo, I appreciate—”

I cut myself when I bumped into a female. I huffed and looked up to see Min-Ae. Oi, déjà vu, wait for it

“You guys,” she pointed at me and Min, “Are going to be our dancers.” She said with a smirk along with her girl troop snickering behind her.

Our eyes went wide as saucers as we let this sink in.

y woman who appeared in front of me for the 2nd time, who ‘hated’ me and saved from me from that Su-Min in the bathroom and is just so stubborn and in denial with the processing of softening and is practically best friends with ‘Sora’ who is me (inhales) says what?