Change of Heart

What's My Story? [Discontinued]

I’m sorry guys…

I’ve failed you.


I sat out in the courtyard, my reddened eyes downcast to the heels I’m giving, giving my feet a rest. My eye makeup was too not badly messed up as it is, fortunately, waterproof. I was sitting on the bench outside, feeling the cool breeze of the wind behind my back. I shivered against its chill that brushed against my bare legs, causing me to shift my position a bit. I took a look at my watch. 60 seconds left, I thought to myself sadly.

“Stupid…stupid, stupid, stupid Su-Min, that… that of a…!” I hissed to myself, standing up abruptly, my fists clenched so tightly that I fear that my own fingernails would cut up my skin. I just wanted to punch the headlights out of her so bad, so ing bad until she doesn’t utter a breath out of those dirty lips of hers. I want…I want…!

But then my grip onto my own hands loosen, my nails no longer stabbing into my palms as I slowly sat back down, a deep sigh escaping my lips.

How am I going to do it now? I thought to myself, almost in panic mode but also in depressed mode. All of this would be for nothing. While being lost into my own thoughts, I hadn’t seen the person behind me until I felt a hand on my shoulder. I jumped back in surprise, turning around so suddenly that I could feel my neck pop a little from its muscle and my hair whipping me across my face. I saw that one person I didn’t expect to see.

“Kangdae-oppa…?” I almost mustered out in shock. Due to not seeing him as much, I had almost forgotten about him – so I wasn’t really expecting him to be around the area at all. He looked at me with a warm smile. He didn’t say anything nor look at me as he looks at the tree in front of us; he just sat down right next to me. I blinked once, then twice before looking back at my wrist where my watch is. 46 seconds left.

“What are you doing out here?”

I looked at the male sitting next to me, his eyes now heading into my direction. I pouted a little as I looked back into my lap.

“I couldn’t do the performance,” I told him simply.

His eyes widened at this answer. “Mwo—why…? Did Su-Min kick you out of the performance or something?”

“…Or something—something that did involve Su-Min; she destroyed my CD.”

Silence droned on between us, only for a momentary time as a chuckle then was heard, breaking the quietness that stilled in the air. I looked at him to see him with a crooked, goofy grin on his face. My eyebrows furrowed. What’s so funny about her destroying my CD?

“What’s so funny?” His chuckles turned into a hearty laugh. I scowled at him angrily. “Yah, you think it’s funny that Su-Min destroyed my CD!? Kangdae-oppa, how—ugh, you’re no help at all!” I got up from my seat abruptly and was about to leave until I felt a hand on my wrist. I yelped when I was brought back down to my seat. I glared at the male beside who continued to grin at me.

“You’re lucky,” he said with a light laugh. “You’re very lucky that I came up with a backup plan.”

Before I even knew it, that shiny object was whipped out in front of me, Kangdae’s handwriting clear onto the CD as he had written my name onto it. My eyes went wide as I stared at the CD in his hand. I blinked twice, seeing if it’s there or not – it is, real and right in front of my eyes.

He smiled and took it out of my reach. “Though a CD is nice, I have something else that’ll make your performance look better.”

My heart went into seams, bursting into fireworks as my face flushed in happiness. I…I’m saved!

“Kangdae-oppa…how…when…?” I couldn’t find words to ask the question.

Kangdae pursued his lips before shrugging, “Well, after seeing you work so diligently in that recording room, I did some correcting and a bit more editing before saving a final copy of your work. Then I’ve asked some of my good friends to help me out with your performance, in case if situations such as losing your CD or a damaged instrument happened.” Then he smiled. “Always come up with a backup plan, for you’ll never know what will happen.”

My lips couldn’t keep themselves down so I just grinned brightly and hugged him, wrapping my arms around his neck. “Gomawo, really…! I cannot thank you more than enough for doing this for me!” I pulled away and met the shining eyes of a man called my stepbrother, Park Kangdae. “I’ll pay you back, I swear!”

He shook his head, refusing my repayment. “No need, I just wanted you to not give up and do your best.” Then he looked at his watch before tugging me out of my seat and dragging me away. I almost stumbled due to me wearing heels. “You’ve only got 20 seconds left! If you do not want to be late and get skipped, at least hurry it up with your pace!”

“Alright, alright, bossy face, I’m coming!” I screeched out, trying to catch up with him as I actually ran in my heels for once.

High freakin’ heels—urgh, this will need some getting used to.


Key’s POV

I drilled my fingers on the table, biting my bottom lip in anxiety. I’m growing worried for Mi-ja. Is she really not coming on? I flicked my wrist to show my watch. Only 10 seconds left… I thought to myself before sighing deeply, my chest feeling tight in uneasiness. I did a quick sideways glare at the black haired female at the end of the table when I heard her giggle at her absence. You stupid little , what have you done to her!?

“Come on…come on!” I could hear Taemin mutter under his breath; his body leaned against the table as his eyes were focused on the stage, waiting for the female to come up. I could understand how he’s feeling right now – I couldn’t believe the fact that she’s unable to appear.

I could see Su-Min beginning to pick up her microphone. I glanced at my watch again. 5 seconds…

“Right, I don’t think she’s appearing onstage at all,” she chimed out, her voice actually happy for once in her life.

4… I bit back my growl; I held my posture to restrain myself from jumping out of my seat and attacking the girl, to try and shred her into pieces; I could only say nothing and do nothing about it.

Minho let out a sad sigh at this announcement. Taemin slumped back into his seat, a small pout on his face. Only Jonghyun and Onew stayed quiet. I could hear the crowd almost sighing in relief. You don’t know what she is like when she does her talents – you don’t know anything at all and all of you lots are happy about it!? I clenched my fists, my face grim as I held myself back. I closed my eyes tightly and held my head low, my bangs hiding my eyes away from this…this…this place full of idiots – this ed up group of society.

3… “So, why not just skip her and move on?”

2… Onew cleared his throat, making sure it’s normal and not as upset as it should be as he spoke, “Er, yeah…I suppose…”

1…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Wait!”

My head perked up at the loud voice onstage. My heart jumped in excitement when I saw Mi-ja standing there onstage, microphone in hand. She was panting slightly, as if she had been doing some running on her way over. A white acoustic guitar was slung across her shoulder, a hand holding up the neck whilst the microphone was in the other.

I was in awe once again—she looked more beautiful than she was in Min-Ae’s performance. I could see her bare legs shying away, her black high heels set in pigeon-toed position. It’s almost as if she’s trying to hide her bareness with the length of her yellow skirt. I could see her wonderfully white polished nails and the accessories on her wrist, but one caught my attention the most.

It was the rainbow ring.

She’s still wearing it despite the outfit she has on… My smile wasn’t stopped as my lips curved, the tight tugs in my chest slowly vanishing.

Taemin let out a small sigh of relief, glad that she had finally made it on time. Minho had the biggest grin on his face, his eyes sparkling in happiness as he stared at her appearance. Even Onew and Jonghyun never failed to hide their gratitude of seeing Mi-ja, alone on that stage.

I could hear Su-Min gasp in shock, surprised of her appearance and I couldn’t help but smirk. Take that, you ! The audience behind us was murmuring; shocked gasps could be heard – they never expected the girl to be Mi-ja. I could hear them: “No way, isn’t that the same girl in Min-Ae’s performance?!” “Omo, she looks more…hot!” “Mwo—what is she doing, dressed like that!?” “I bet that she’s trying to seduce SHINee to let her win, tsk, the rumors are true then!” Criticism was thrown onto her, but Mi-ja stood firm, her eyes stern and serious as she looked at Su-Min who was shocked, her face distorted into a look of terror. It seems like her plan to do whatever she could to keep Mi-ja off the stage had failed.

Then she looked at the audience and flashed them a sweet smile, her eyes turning into crescents. The audience stood silent at this gesture as she spoke, “Mianhae, for being late, but I’m here now!” Her voice was bright, unlike the wallflower kind, when her voice would be soft and usually unheard. This change of attitude kind of made me…proud of her. I knew it was a good thing that she signed up for the Talent Showdown!

Minho, regaining his senses after being in ‘happy mode’ for quite some time, spoke into the microphone, his lips curved in a smile. “It’s not a problem at all,” he paused for a moment before resting his elbow on the table, one eyebrow raised in cockiness as he smirked, “So, what are you doing for your performance?”

Mi-ja scrunched up her nose at this. She looked so much like a pissed off bunny. Before she spoke, she stuck out her tongue out at the elder, causing him to laugh. I scoffed in jealousy, rolling my eyes in pure annoyance at the duo’s interactions – I wish that Mi-ja making me laugh. I glanced over at Su-Min and caught her glaring at the said person who’s currently standing onstage. I looked back at the female who smiled at him, twisting her body side to side, with her skirt twirling around gently.

“You’ll see,” was all she told him. The audience behind us went into a fit of murmurs and scoffs, as if saying, “Who does she think she is—Little Miss Perfect ?” I want to turn around and glare at them with my eye lasers so badly. I want to grab a fire torch and burn them all down for saying such an insult towards my Mi-baby. Alas, I could only stay rooted into my seat and endure it all inside – plus, I feel as if I’d get into deep trouble and ruin our reputations as an idol.

The only people who are es are you and Su-Min, and if Mi-ja’s being a , then she’s my , I growled mentally before rethinking my thoughts. My face went red and I quickly shook my head frantically, earning weird looks from Taemin who sat next to me. Wrong way to think that, wrong way! Oh my god, Kim Kibum, what had gotten into you!?

“Hyung, gwaenchana…?” Taemin asked me, unsure with my sudden reaction as he leaned over to me. My face continued to burn red as I gave him a calm smile, though my bottom lip quivered a bit.

“I’m fine! I’m totally fine!” I tried to assure him, but it seems like he didn’t buy it. But, knowing me and knowing that he shouldn’t push me any further as I’ll get too frustrated, he left it at that, which I’m glad for.

Minho hummed at this, not saying anything else as he let this be for now. I was only staring at her now, our eyes locking in eye contact for a moment before she cleared , putting the microphone onto the microphone, currently getting into position. Everything went quiet as our undivided attention was unto her. I watched her as her head was hung low, her eyes out of sight but could possibly be staring at the ground, trying to calm her mental state down.

Mi-ja, hwaiting! I cheered mentally to myself as I shifted in my seat, twirling the pen in my right hand. Then, surprisingly, the screen behind her switched, catching all of our attention. In sync with this, the music came on, the melody soft and slow.

She stepped close to the microphone, holding the guitar tightly though it seemed like it wasn’t time for her to play it yet as she held the microphone stand.

It keeps coming back to me
I remember this pain
It spreads across my eyes
everything is dull

Ah, she’s singing in English… but I could care less about that as I listened to her sing, concentrating on her lips as I made sense with the lyrics using my specialty in English. I was in awe with her soft, singing voice – it was outstanding. I may not be the lead singer or whatever, but she definitely put feeling into it. Beautiful… was all I could think as I listened to her performance, drowning myself into it.


Jonghyun’s POV

Everyone's smiling, they're smiling
It pushes me far, far away
I can't understand
everything is blue

My eyes went wide at her perfectly high pitch. The way she pours her feelings into the song just took me away and hit me hard in the chest. It’s like I can almost feel…the pain she went through in order to get this far. Then I smiled to myself as I could see her trembling fingers that clutched tightly onto the microphone stand. I can almost feel the tugs in my chest that she too, could possibly be feeling right now.

Can you hear me out there?

Will you hold me now...? Hold me now, My frozen heart
I'm gazing from the distance and
I feel everything pass through me
I can't be alone right now
Will you hold me now...? Hold me now, my frozen heart
I'm lost in a deep winter sleep
I can't seem to find my way out alone
Can you wake me?

When she looked at us, I could see her watery eyes, as if she’s almost about to cry from just singing the song. I smiled at her to comfort her, and she smiled a back, but only for a while. Her singing in English proves that she’s Korean-American – I mean, you have to have at least good pronunciation, a clear voice and be fluent in it despite having been born in Korea. I took the lyrics to heart as I clasped my hands together, listening to her sing. I smiled as I took note of this. I will never leave you, Mi-ja…even if the situation’s grave, we wouldn’t leave you.

I know when I let it in
It hides love from this moment
So I guard it close
I watch the move it makes

But it gets me, but it gets me
I wish I could understand how I
Could make it disappear, make it disappear

Anyone out there hear me now?

I think the audience behind us was entranced by her, save for a few scoffs from the girls. Listening to her sing, I also listened to the music. Something’s off here…the music seems like it’s a live performance, with actual drums and guitar and piano. I stared at the curtains that were closed behind her, and before the next chorus kicked in, Mi-ja held up her guitar, swiftly taking out the guitar pick whilst the curtain swung open abruptly, revealing a band of four. We all gasped in surprise – even I wasn’t expecting her to get a band. Plus, I wasn’t even expecting to see Kangdae on the bass at all!

Will you hold me now...? Hold me now, My frozen heart
Kiss my lips and maybe you can take me to your world for now
I can't be alone right now
Will you hold me now...? Hold me now, my frozen heart
Please make it all go away
Am I ever gonna feel myself again?
I hope I will

Slowly, one by one, I heard rhythmic clapping, going to the beat. I looked around to see them clapping, some even waving their hands slowly to match the song. I grinned to myself before looking at Taemin who looked at me with happy eyes, his brown eyes curled into crescents. I wanted to stick my tongue out at Su-Min, who scrunched up her nose at her performance, arms crossed and just leaned back into her seat, but to be polite, I tried not to. I looked at Mi-ja, whose eyes were wide in shock, but still kept her cool as she sang, strumming the strings of the guitar. I smiled again, liking her performance way too much.

There was then a music break, when the boys at the back did their solo as well as Mi-ja did hers as well. I stared at her in awe, my eyes wide and my mouth turned into an ‘O’ shape as I had a surprised expression on my face. I was speechless with her ability to come up on stage to show this kind of talent. Her voice contained many colours; colours I’ve known in the past, colours I’ve known today and colours that I have not seen and yet have to know in the future. My cheeks burned red when her eyes glazed over us before smiling. I can hear Onew gasping as if he need oxygen back into his lungs before chuckling, taking the action as a joke.

Will you hold me now...? Hold me now, My frozen heart
I'm gazing from the distance and
I feel everything pass through me
I can't be alone right now
Will you hold me now...? Hold me now, my frozen heart
I'm lost in a deep winter sleep
I can't seem to find my way out alone
Can you wake me?

I moved my head to the melody, closing my eyes as I find myself lost into the soft tone that would have send me to sleep like a soothing lullaby. I almost did, seriously, if it weren’t for me waking myself up suddenly to avoid sleeping at the end of the song. As she strummed the last few notes, everything went down to silence.


Mi-ja’s POV

When I finished my performance, I stepped back a bit so they don’t hear my heavy panting from the microphone. I looked out the auditorium. All of their eyes were on me, not giving me any reaction. My heart thudded as I then spoke, “N-Ne, that was Olivia Lufkin’s ‹Winter sleep› covered by me,” I told them, my voice shaking in nervousness as my cool persona was slowly breaking down. I turned around to look Kangdae. He smiled at me, his eyebrows raised as if being apologetic for not getting the reaction I deserved. I shook my head, telling him mentally that it was worth it. I bowed to the rest of the band and thanked them for helping me out in the performance. I made one step, then another as I made my way to the end of the stage. But then…a clap was heard.

Clap.

My steps slowed down and I’ve barely even made it to the stairs. I looked up to see a male standing up, clapping slowly, a huge smile on his face. Another stood up, doing the same. Then it was ten, then twenty, forty, hundreds until I heard numerous rings of clapping, all of them standing up. Even SHINee was doing a standing ovation as they clapped for me, smiles on their faces. I could see Min from afar who was cheering for me. I could see Min-Ae on the left side, her arms crossed over her chest, not clapping but she was smiling at me. My face broke into a grin, my lips curving up as I smiled brightly, my cheeks red. I looked over to Kangdae who mirrored the same look at me. Then he gave me a thumbs-up before stepping up to me and ruffling my hair.

“You did it,” he whispered to me, a small smile on his face. “You did all you can and you’ve done it.”

I could only giggle in response before abruptly covering my mouth with my hand, my smile quivering a little as tears began spilling out. Kangdae smiled at me, knowing that I’m not actually crying in sorrow or in pain—I’m crying in happiness. He could tell by the way my eyes are curved into crescents, clearly showing that I’m glad. I bit my sob as my tears ran between my fingers and dripped down onto the wooden floor. My stepbrother took the microphone in hand while holding my head to his chest, rubbing my back for comfort as he shouted out, “Give it up for Baek Mi-ja!

More cheers were heard. They were screaming louder than before that I thought I was in some kind of concert.

As soon as I got my together, I smiled for the nth time and waved at them. I took the microphone from Kangdae and said, “Gamsahabnida, jeongmal, I appreciate it!” I looked over at SHINee who continued to smile at me, giving me two thumbs-up. I gave them back two thumbs-up as well, grinning like a fool.

“Wah~” Jonghyun chimed when he picked up his microphone, “Daebak, daebak, daebak, that’s all I can say to that!”

“Jinjja, I can’t even form words to this amazing performance, how can I rate this wonderfully made singing?” Taemin exclaimed, making hand gestures to prove his point.

“Mark it with a pen,” Onew deadpanned. I stifled my laughter at this awkward joke whilst SHINee looked at him as if he’s a stranger and they don’t even know him.

“Aish, must you ruin the moment, hyung?” Minho murmured, shaking his head in disbelief. Onew only chuckled in embarrassment, his red cheeks growing bright which earned him a few coos from the girls in the audience.

Key rolled his eyes, “Whatever he does, it’s Onew Condition,” he mumbled before continuing, “Ne, that was contestant number 34, Baek Mi-ja! Thank you for the performance!”

I smiled as I bowed to them deeply. My eyes then landed onto Su-Min, who had been glaring at me ever since I came out. I gave her the ‘Diva Key’ smile and waved in a not-so-genuine way as I mouthed, “Adios, .” And when I was about to exit the stage so SHINee can call the next, I flashed her ‘the bird’ finger before going the stairs with Kangdae. I smirked to myself when I heard SHINee laughing. That’s what you get for messing with me, , my inner me cackled.


It’s time.

I’ve spend my time happily chatting with Min and Luna after my performance. They gushed over how I looked beautiful when I played the guitar. Though Min was pissed off at how Su-Min tried to keep me out and destroyed my original CD, she was relieved that I made it on time – said that ‘I made everyone want to go onto a rescue search plan and find me,’ she exaggerated that part a bit too much, but I wouldn’t blame her if something were to happen to me.

After minutes and possibly an hour and an half, it’s reaching the end.

It’s time.

All of us dispersed onto the stage, the spotlight beating down on us. The sky must have grown black; it should be night around this time. I shuffled my feet mindlessly, not really into it as I just pretty much got bored with the waiting. I looked at the contestants around me – they all looked eager to win second place, or even better, first place. My eyes then averted to the audience in front of us, squinting them when my sight was met with bright lights from the far distance, up on the ceiling where the spotlights were. We were all waiting patiently, waiting until everyone on stage had arrived and gathered in front of the judges. Su-Min stood up, clearing into the microphone which brought the noise level of the constant chatter down, now going into silence.

“Now,” she started off, looking into her flip-card as if she were to be a MC in a TV programme, “Now is the time to announce the winners.”

Minho nodded his head, his eyes serious as he looked at his papers, full of his notes on each performance. “Yes, I suppose it is,” he said.

Before we came out here onstage, they were onto discussing the winners and their opinions on them, as well as pointing out their flaws. I glanced at the five men; they all looked so serious, eyes fierce and stern, yet, they looked downcast, not looking up at me. I tilted my head at this – had something happened? But I shook it off, thinking that they’re just tired – this event had been going on for what, 5 hours?—so of course, they would be wanting to go home and sleep it off. Sadly, they are idols and they must have practice late in the night so they might have very little sleep.

No wonder why Key was complaining about having to do everything at once, I thought to myself as I stared at him, his face looked drained and lacked of energy, but he still managed to make a smile as he spoke up,

“We will now start off with the medals,” he said as Taemin gone up onto the stage, a box full of different coloured medals in hand – bronze, silver and gold.

It passed by quickly, after they finished calling out the names. I glanced at the silver medal around my head, looking at it before I smiled. Though it wasn’t a gold medal, I knew that I’ve tried my best.

“Now, it’s time for the true winners of the Talent Showdown,” Onew spoke out, causing so much tension to rise. My heart thudded. I looked around. I could see Min-Ae from the distance onstage, her eyes closed and her hands clasped together, fingers intertwined. “For third place…wait, drumroll, please!” The sound of drumroll came on, the rhythm steady and clean. “As I was saying, the winner of third place is…Song Sungshin!”

A girl shrieked in happiness and stepped out from the crowd. She seemed nice, her brown hair all in curls and she wore a white princess dress and pink ballet flats. Her height was a bit short though. I think she did a violin performance mixed with dance.

Taemin smiled as he gave her the trophy, before shaking hands with her. “Congratulations, you won the third place.”

“Gamsahabnida, although it’s third place, I’m still happy!” She chimed out, a bright grin on her face.

“You should be!” Key yelled out, causing the audience to laugh. “We’ve spent our time discussing who should win and you have no idea how much trouble that was because every one of them was good – and no, you were not good with that tuba, so don’t even think about it.” He immediately cut the boy off when he was about to speak up, only to shrink back into the crowd, embarrassed of his performance. I felt bad for him as well, but you have to admit – that was some horrible playing.

“Anyways, second place!” Key chimed out, his voice almost pissed off and annoyed. I raised an eyebrow at the other members who shrugged at me, not knowing what’s up with him either. Wow, what went up his today? I shook my head in disbelief. Unless it’s something to do with Su-Min, then I don’t blame him.

“The winner of second place is… Jung Joo Young!”

A male stepped out, dressed in hip-hop attire. He did a rap performance and I must admit, he was really good – even I was dancing along when he did his best. He grinned, bowing in 90° degrees to show his gratitude before he took the trophy from Taemin. It was in silver and it was a bit bigger than the third place trophy.

“And now, everyone hold your breath. It’s for the last but not least, first place,” Minho spoke so seriously that it brought even more tension to the air, everyone leaning in, eager to see the winner of first place. Minho looked down at the envelope in his hand – that one, last envelope that contains everything. It was already open and the paper was out. He stared down at it for a moment. I looked at him, watching his face change slightly. His eyes dimmed a bit before looking up with a small smile, looking apologetic.

“Ah, mianhae, I’m surprised that we’ve chosen this person as the winner,” he said with a slight chuckle. “Give some drumroll, please!” That sound came back again—I can hear the drumsticks dribbling rapidly onto the snare drum. Then I smiled to myself. You know what, I’m cool. I’m cool with not getting first place. At least I know that I’ve tried my best. That’s all I wanted to do, this came into mind as I realized that I can’t always get everything I want just by a snap of my fingers. If I wanted something, I have to work for it. This is just the first level in the game.

“The winner of first place is…” He started, his hand gripping onto the microphone tightly before looking over them with a smile.

“The winner is…”

…?

“…Park Min-Ae!

I looked over at the brunette who stood frozen, her hand up to as everyone clapped for her. Then she looked around and found me. I smiled, clapping as well as I mouthed, “Good job,” to her. She looked away and slowly walked up to Taemin, shyly thanking him as she bowed slightly before holding the much bigger trophy into her hands, the colour of gold shining brightly underneath the spotlights.

“Congratulations, Min-Ae, you are officially the true winner of the Talent Showdown!” Taemin chimed happily, clapping his hands as well. Min-Ae looked around for a moment, feeling speechless before thanking Taemin again as he lent her his microphone.

“I…I don’t know what to say! It just happened all so quickly! All I remember is Minho saying that I’ve won,” she let out a slight laugh before continuing, “But really, gamsahabnida, seriously! Without my group I wouldn’t have made it. I’d like to thank them as well, genuinely!” Her smile was bright. Her voice was happy and her eyes turned into deep crescents as she grinned, her cheekbones ascending. I smiled. She did deserve a first place, after all. I was touched with her genuine thanks to me and the rest of the girls who danced with her. Including Min as well…

I sighed. They really need to make up soon. I can see that Min-Ae desperately wants to be friends with her again.

“And that is the end of the Talent Showdown 2013! We’ll see you next year!” Su-Min chimed happily, waving to the audience who continued to clap. Then she turned around and looked at me, an evil smirk on her face. I scowled at her. I bet she’s happy that I lost.

“Let’s go into the cafeteria, we’ll be serving you with some good food there!” She cheered before pushing Onew away and grabbing Minho and Key by the arm, pulling them along with her as the group went down to the exit. I glared at her arm that was linked with both of their arms, side by side, held tightly to her chest—Key on her right; Minho on her left. I couldn’t see Minho’s expression as the back of his head was in my sight. I can clearly see Key’s, however, whose smile seemed forced but his eyes were full of hatred as he silently glared at the arm that was linked with his, almost as if trying to burn it off.

I stood still. Everyone was patting Min-Ae on the back, taking her along with them as the (now former) contestants then abandoned the stage; the students abandoning their sight; the crew abandoning their position as they all went over for the food. I then stood alone, standing in the bright lights as I stared out at the place that is full of emptiness.

I tapped my toes, my heels making soft tapping noise on the hollow, polished stage. I clasped my hands together, taking in deep breaths before I sang as loudly as I can:

Congratulations~
Farewell…

I smiled to myself as I sang the last verse of Aly and AJ’s ‹Division›. I nodded my head in approval, accepting the loss happily as I walked off stage, my footsteps echoing in the empty auditorium.


I walked down the empty hallway, my steps slowly yet rhythmic as I made my way down to the exit of the university. I didn’t feel like eating anymore. I didn’t want to leave SHINee behind either, but I didn’t want to stay here anymore. I clutched on my bag which I’ve collected from the lounge room, making sure that my normal clothes and the clothes I’ve worn from Min-Ae’s performance were in my bag before I left. I had my glasses hanging on my shirt like a hanger, as I plan to go home to take off the eye contact, to take off this ‘Cinderella’ disguise and return back to the good ol’ me.

As I made a few more steps, I heard running footsteps and harsh panting as a male called me out, causing me to stop in my tracks abruptly, surprised with the sudden sound.

“Wait!”

I turned around, to see a man crouched down in front of me as he bent to his lap, trying to catch his breath. He had a bouquet of beautiful red roses in his hand whilst the other was on his lap. He stood up, fully showing his great height. I recognized him – it was that guy who took away my notebook before and made fun of me. He looked at me with flushed red cheeks as I blinked at him, my eyes wide and innocent.

“Y-Yes…?” I asked, surprised that he was even here in front of me, blushing like a madman. He blushed even more, his face gone entirely red as he scratched the back of his neck. I can tell that he felt a bit awkward, talking to me like this. I understood him – when the nerdy wallflower changes into a beautiful princess, it did take a huge toll on you and you don’t know how to act in front of that person, now that her appearance had changed.

“Um…I just wanted to say… uh… your singing was really beautiful,” he started off, a shy smile on his face. I smiled back at him, amused with his shyness. Knowing him from somewhere, he’s a jock who was best at sports – it’s quite surprising to see a tough guy like this being so bashful.

“Ah, gamsahabnida…” I thanked him, my voice soft and gentle as I bowed to him.

He nodded. “And I wanted to say that I’m sorry,” he let out a deep sigh, holding the bouquet close to his chest. “I thought you’d sing badly since you’re a nerd and all, but when you were up there…all I can say was… ‘Wow, she’s really good.’ Your voice struck me down completely. And then I thought back to what I’ve said to you and I felt guilty. I keep forgetting that you’re a musical prodigy and you’re on your scholarship. I guess…I only cared about the looks.”

I shifted my standing position, happy with his response. I’m glad that he had a change of heart. I shuffled my heels against the tiled floor as we stood a certain distance—close but not too close. Then he stuck out the bouquet to me, in which I took into my arms, thanking him softly.

“It was actually for the person who won first place, but honestly, I think you deserve it.”

My heart swelled up in happiness. I bowed once again as I said, “Gamsahabnida…really.” Then I bit my bottom lip as I gave him an apologetic look. “Sorry for kicking you in the shin – I was really upset back then.”

He shook his head, telling me that it’s fine. “I did deserve that though…even though it was painful—wow, you even kick good. Did you do judo?” He joked.

I giggled, holding the bouquet in my arms as I shrugged, playing along as I told him, “Maybe~”

We chuckled for a moment before I stared at him, smiling. “Thank you…again,” then I asked. “What’s your name?”

He smiled coolly as he told me his name: “Kang Jongshin, My name is Kang Jongshin.”

I smiled, nodding with a soft hum. “Well, Jongshin, very nice to meet you.” I took out my hand, waiting for a handshake. He smiled as well and held my hand, his large limb wrapped around my small one as we shook firmly.

I stared up at him, and smiled as I stood next to him. With my hand on his chest, I took my toes to gather that extra height boost as I kissed him on the cheek. He looked stunned with this action as he looked at me surprised. I only grinned at him. “Thank you again for the roses! I hope you have a great night tonight.” I my heels and continued to make my way to the front doors of the building, leaving behind a stunned Jongshin.


I stepped out into the night, feeling the cold breeze brush past my bare legs. I looked out the area, where I could see the lampposts going down the streets, with cars zooming down the road.

I took a look at the card that stood out from the roses.

Congratulations on winning first place!

It was crossed out, obviously, so I read the new message:

Sorry, you didn’t get first place, but I think you were beautiful back there.
You deserve more than just a trophy. Keep hanging out with SHINee,
I think you fit in well with them. - KJ

My cheeks went red at this message before smiling. He can be so sweet. But the most surprising part was that he told me to keep hanging out with SHINee. It’s not every day that I have someone supporting me to be with SHINee. A chill went down my spine. For some odd reason, I feel… weird and…famous—though I do not know why…

Before I took one step down the stairs, a voice called me out.

“Mi-ja…!”

What now? I turned to see Min-Ae behind me, the doors open, letting the lights out and showing her silhouette clearly. She doesn’t have the trophy with her at the moment and she looked concerned for me. She took a deep breath before walking up to me.

I smiled at her, “Congrats. You won first place, you must be happy.”

She hummed lowly in reply. Then she looked at me. “Aren’t you sad?”

“Me? Be sad? Why would I?”

“Because I think you deserve getting first place than me.”

I chuckled to myself. “Honestly, just because I’m a prodigy in music doesn’t mean that you’d expect me to get first place right from the beginning. It’s all about effort. And I must admit: my singing was a bit off back there.” I looked away; I was about to make my way down before I felt a hand grabbing my arm.

“No…it wasn’t!” I looked at her. Her eyebrows were furrowed, clearly upset with what I’ve said. “Your singing was flawless, you brought out your power and as far as I know, most of the audience was bawling their eyes out because you really delivered your emotions to them! And if they say that you can’t get first place, then…then they must be jackasses!” I stifled my laughter at her cute stubbornness. After learning of her past, I can hear that ‘little Min-Ae’ inside her.

She took a deep breath before continuing, “And Su-Min must be a to degrade you like that. You deserve more than just a happy fairytale ending, Mi-ja, and I’m willing to make that happen.”

I stared at her for a moment before looking at my arm, her warm hand clutching onto it. I looked back at her, her eyes stern and hopeful, waiting for an answer. I smiled at her as I gently shook my arm out of her grip. “Gomawo, for everything you’ve said.” Then I’ve snapped my fingers, remembering something as I held the bouquet into my other arm as I pulled my bag to the front, opening it up and searching for something.

“Before I forget,” I said, pulling out a small, wrapped up present. It was wrapped in bright green, the ribbon in a colour of lovely velvet red – her two favourite colours. I smiled as I gave it to her, “Happy Birthday! Well, early birthday, but still a birthday nevertheless! You only have two more hours until midnight and you’re now 22.”

Min-Ae smiled at me as she took the present from me. “Gomawo…” then her eyebrows furrowed a little. “Wait a second…I don’t remember telling you my birthday or my age…”

Oh, crap, I was in ‘Sora’ mode, I thought. I bit my bottom lip.

“The only person, aside from Kangdae-oppa, is my friend—” She trailed off, looking away from me. I cut in before she could finish her sentence.

“Ah, yes, about that, because we were in bad terms at that time, I asked Kangdae about some personal information about you. I hope you didn’t mind, I just wanted to know what you like and dislikes in case of situations such as your birthday. I couldn’t go and buy something you don’t like without knowing what you like and it wouldn’t make sense, so~” I trailed off, making sure that she’s understanding me.

Min-Ae blinked twice at me, before smiling. “Ah, I see, I see!” Wow, she’s dumb, my inner me retorted. I scolded ‘me’ mentally, Oh, don’t be rude! Be respectful, she’s our senior! “How nice of you, but you could have asked me! I wouldn’t even know that you were planning to get a present for me!”

I only laughed awkwardly at this. Then she pulled me back, “Come inside and join us! You can’t miss the fun!”

I shook my head, “Thank you, but no thank you, I’m not feeling a good appetite right now at the moment.” I shook my arm away from her and looked at the female who looked sad but understood anyways. “I wish I could, but I need some time away from the laughter and clustered space. I want more space around me,” I told her. Then I said, “Tell SHINee that I left early. I’ll be at home, okay?” I saw her nod subtly before I turned around and went down the stairs. I looked back at her to see her waving goodbye. I smiled and waved back as well before continuing to make my way onto the street and down to the bus stop, hoping to get the last bus from there.

I hope Min-Ae can get along with SHINee as well, since they still sees her as a bad person…I hope she’ll prove herself worthy to them and show that she’s not as bad as they thought…

I paused in my steps and looked up at the starlit night skies, the small white orbs shining brightly as they can. It’s like they were smiling at me, the way they shined brightly when I looked up.

I hope everyone will have a change of heart one day… I wished to myself. Just one day, they’ll no longer see me as the witch anymore…and only see a harmless little girl who just wants to make friends…

2014…You better have something good coming after December.


AND I'VE UDPATED AFTER A LONG TIME WHOOPS! :D Feel free to comment!

Also, I've put up polls as I'm working on the next chapters to ease your boredom a bit. So feel free to vote depending on your opinions!