Remedy

What's My Story? [Discontinued]

I looked at the eyes that were worried for the girl. I exhaled deeply and let out a long sigh before gazing at them all with a solemn face.

Mi-ja’s missing.


Min-Ae’s POV

I shuffled my feet on the bare ground full of wet dirt, standing in front of the locked gates of the university where we all planned to meet up. We managed to get here using Kangdae’s car, since we went back to the house.

Well, we did not expect Mi-ja to be out of the neighborhood, so what were we supposed to do?

I murmured the words underneath my breath, the words playing against my tongue.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked up to see my brother giving me a supportive smile. I smiled back at him, but I could not relax.

Not when Mi-ja is out of this area.

We stood in the rain, our hoods on to shield ourselves from the falling water. It never seems to stop!

It is almost as if they were Mi-ja’s tears.

My heart made a hard pang at that thought. To think that this rain could be coming from her…sounded ridiculous. Nevertheless, I cannot help but wonder.

Was she really an angel that came into our lives and changed us for the better? Was it to be believed that this rain were the angel’s tears? Our Mi-ja’s tears?

I shook my head. I must be reading too much fantasy-related books nowadays.

A voice from our right caught our attention.

Hey!”

We turned to the direction of the source, seeing a group of people walking to us. Some of them were wearing hoodies to guard themselves from the rain whilst one had an umbrella.

I supposed Key has the umbrella, I thought sarcastically. I mean, who else after the trauma of getting wet?

“Everyone here?” Jonghyun asked. We all nodded—I made sure by checking the heads of the group. Even Min was involved in this.

Minho was the first to speak up, “How did this happen? I didn’t expect Mi-ja to go missing.”

“That’s what we thought too, but it seems that she actually wanted to get away. She really meant it when she ran out the house during dinner,” I told them, my eyes full of sorrow.

Min glanced between Kangdae and me, sensing the atmosphere as she asked, “Did…did something happen back at your house?”

I sighed again. “Everything happened.” Then I looked at Kangdae, who nodded at me and started the first fraction of the story in the beginning. Then, somewhere in the middle, he switched with me, where I began the second fraction of the incident.

It was not a short story, but it was not a long one either. It was sufficient for the entire group to be able to understand what happened, as well as understanding Mi-ja’s feelings about it.

When we finished, Min was the first to put her hand to her temples, letting out an exasperated sigh. “I’d never thought that your mother would actually do something like…!” She could not say it. It was too agonizing and inadequate to vent out her resentment at my mother.

In fact, all of them were fuming at her actions. In addition, I do not blame them; she did not deserve compassion. What she did was an unlawful activity and unacceptable and just downright egotistic.

“How selfish of her,” Taemin stated, his voice heard for the first time this evening since I saw him. It surprised me too, to hear him speaking, but my shock was gone as quickly as it came when he spoke more, “I understood about her father’s decision with the marriage. I know that what he said back then was that he was only trying to protect her, to keep her out of her step-mother’s troubles, but this is…” he trailed off, shaking his head as he put his hand to his mouth, unable to speak anymore.

Are those tears I see? I looked away, thinking that it must be the rain playing with my mind.

Jonghyun had his fists clenched now, his bangs covering his eyes. “That woman…she has the guts to do such thing to her only friend. She did all that just for his money and her love. Self-centered .”

I appreciated him. He treated Mi-ja as if she was the younger sister he never had, aside from his older sibling, Sodam. You will never know that recently, behind his kisses was his affection for her as a friend.

Seeing him, he is clearly pissed.

“I feel so sorry for her. I would do the same thing she did if that ever happened to me,” Key butted in, nodding in empathy for his friend.

I shook my head in agreement. “I know. Even I am disappointed with her. To go as far as killing her mother to gain her father…to think that she’s my mother…!” Then I looked at Min and smiled dejectedly. “I’ll never be like that to you and Jonghyun. Never.

She smiled and went up to hug me, not caring if we were both wet from the pouring rain. “Thank you,” she whispered in my ear before pulling away from our embrace.

“Now that we have heard the complete story, how are we going to find her, since she’s not around this area?” Onew spoke up, raising his eyebrows.

I stared at Taemin who has not been speaking much lately (except what he said earlier, but that was it) before looking back at the elder, thinking. Then I snapped my fingers. “Mi-ja is still new to Korea, so she couldn’t have gone far.”

“What do you mean?” Jonghyun asked, confused with my answer.

“What I mean is: since she’s still a newcomer to her hometown and doesn’t know much of the place as she’s always cooped up in her room, she could only go to places that we’ve been with her, whether as a group or individually.”

Minho clapped his hand, now realizing it. “I get it now! You’re saying that if we go to the places that we went with her, she may be there?”

I nodded at his response. “For example, The SM Company or the café.”

“I say the chances of finding her in those places are like finding one clover in a garden of clubs”—I rose an eyebrow at Jonghyun’s peculiar link to the status quo—“but it wouldn’t hurt to try.”

Min hummed. “It would be better to split up. Finding her altogether would take too much time, and I doubt this rain would let up anytime soon. Poor Mi-ja must be out there, quaking in the vicious chill.”

“I vastly question that. She could be sheltered from the downpour one way or another,” Key sneered. He wailed when I sturdily tweaked his cheek, scolding him of his pointless brusqueness.

After a whole heap of conversation and arrangement, we divided the places we have been to and gave them to those who had been with Mi-ja around those areas before running off, each one of us all on our own. Kangdae and I decided to go to the amusement park first, since that is where I played with her as Sora.

An hour and a car later, we ran off to the direction of the park. I thought that it was impossible for the amusement park to be open, especially in this weather, but I went there just for the heck of it.

“I knew it,” I murmured to myself when we came into view. We saw that the place is not open until next time. The fun, vibrant lights have been extinguished, the area looking shady and secular. Strangely, the funfair did not look so fun anymore. It looked… rather creepy. It was so creepy and disturbing that it gave out an eerie feeling with all this rain around. The streetlamps are not helping the situation either. In fact, they are just making it worse.

Kangdae let out a hum. “I don’t think she’ll be in there, since it’s locked up,” he told me.

I knew that, but I wanted to go there just to be sure.

Well, I thought as I eradicated the amusement park off my mental list. That is out the options.

“Let’s try another place you know,” he said, patting my back as he ushered me back to the car and lead the way. He is trying hard to keep my spirits up. I nodded to myself. I should not give up. I should be able to find Mi-ja…somehow.


Minho’s POV

I ran hard.

I almost slipped on the wet pavement, but I did not care. I still ran.

“Mi-ja!” I yelled out, not concerned about the others who might hear me around the area or if they think I am crazy. I doubt they will even notice that there is an idol seeking crazily for a missing friend. I passed by the café we sat outside when we had our smoothies.

She was not around the area.

I checked the passageways near the zone and even went by the mall where we went together. It was open around that time, surprisingly. I was not expecting it to be open with this hectic weather, but then again, it is a mall. However, I cannot go inside there. Mi-ja would not go to a place that is loud and noisy. If she wanted to be alone, it has to be nice and quiet.

I know her. I know her more than you think.

I was not going to give up. I ran again, my mind on a certain place.

I was in the park, where I saw Mi-ja sleeping underneath the tree during our date. Okay, so it was not a date, but it seemed like it.

I was startled when I saw a flash of white, hearing the sound of forked lightning crackling from the distance. God, this weather is growing worse in every second! I looked around frantically, searching for the girl as I ran around the park.

“Mi-ja!” I screamed her name again, my head whipping around harshly. The hood fell back, revealing my already damp hair as I turned my head every time, my bangs slapping against my forehead. “Damn it! Baek Mi-ja, where are you?”

Being careless, my foot slid onto the grass, causing me to fall onto the wet terrain.

I slowly sat up, my appearance all in sludge as I looked down, my head hung low.

I shouldn’t give up, but…she’s not even here.

I let out a shuddering sigh, feeling hot, frustrated water b in my eyes.

I remember seeing her unsatisfied face when she tried to snap me out of my thoughts. I liked it when she blushes, the usual color on her cheeks growing redder than expected. She looked cute when she looks at me with those round eyes of her, those abnormal eyes that sparkled with stars.

I wanted to be the one who is always there for her. I want to be the one for her who has a shoulder to lean on. Always…!

Then Taemin came in and messed up her life. Now she is confused.

That boy…he was so oddly quiet ever since I saw them in the same area this afternoon.

I wonder if she did not run away just because of one thing…

What happened between them?

I wiped my eyes, not caring if mud got onto my face and stood up from the ground, resuming my search. No! It does not matter, I thought to myself as I went further into the park. I must not give up! I will just have to search harder.


Taemin’s POV

God, I am sorry.

I headed towards the SM Building, my legs weak from running, but I willed them to carry me further to the residence.

God, Mi-ja, I am so sorry.

I wiped my eyes that was beginning to tear up, my drenched bangs sticking onto my forehead as I rushed inside.

I feel like she did not run away just because of this. I feel like I am the one to blame.

I looked around the large lobby area before walking in, going to that familiar dance studio.

My pace began to quicken, and before I knew it, I was running again.

“Please be there, please be there,” I uttered under my breath as I reached closer to the area.

I charged in, scanning the room before biting my lower lip to swallow back my sob when I saw that the auburn was not inside.

I must have gone irrational, because I thought I saw Mi-ja dancing elegantly as ever. The music box was near her, playing out the beautiful melody as the girl arched her back, letting the music control her body.

I blinked once, and she was gone. I only saw myself in the mirror at that moment.

I felt like . With reddened eyes and a pathetic appearance, I felt like someone had gotten himself into .

Deep .

“Hyung?”

I turned to see Kai, surprised of his appearance. He has been doing well since his comeback.

“Are you alright? You just barged into the room for no reason,” he asked, raising an eyebrow at me as if being skeptical. He has been my best friend since our trainee days. However, it was a bit strange when I never saw him as they notified me that he is overseas.

Overseas during training? Is that allowed?

I shook my head. “No, I just wanted to…” I paused.

He does not know Mi-ja. I doubt I could ask him where she is. In addition, I would not want to make him worry.

“…to…see if I left anything here. You know me, forgetting stuff,” I let out a short, forced laugh.

Kai rolled his eyes, ruffling his blond hair. “Yeah, definitely, like that one time you lost your passport in the airport?”

“Don’t remind me.” It was not my fault! …Okay, maybe it was since I kept the rest of the members waiting, but I swear I had it with me!

“Anyway,” the EXO dancer started. “No wonder why you’re soaked. Since I’m practicing here for the night, I’ll see to find anything around here that may have been yours.”

Please find Mi-ja, I wanted to say but swallowed my words and smiled. “Gomawo, you’re the best!” Then I waved him goodbye, “Good luck on the promotions!”

“Same to you!” He called out as I left the studio.

The smile wiped off my face, replaced with a frown as I sulkily walked towards the lobby area. There is no point searching the other area—she does not know this place well as I do.

She is not here.


Key’s POV

I got off the bus when I arrived in Gangnam, opening up my umbrella once again to shield myself from the rain. I shrieked when I heard a loud burst of thunder.

“God, this is some rainstorm! It’s not even safe to be out here!” I huffed out, but I was more worried for Mi-ja than for myself. I memorized the way down to the mall, following Mi-ja’s imaginary footsteps. I followed her silently, imagining her light, joyful running steps as she rushed to me.

I felt water running down my cheek.

How…? I looked up at my umbrella, no holes in sight.

Then I realized that it was my tears. It felt warmer than usual. I wiped them away and tried my best to stay strong, for Mi-ja’s sake.

I stared up at the mall, which was, obviously in a weather like this, closed. I decided to go to another place, the coffee shop where I walked.

The area where I dreaded to be in.

I shuddered, remembering the looks of that thug’s face before shaking my head. I promised her that I would be strong. I will grow stronger.

I walked with firm footsteps as I remembered the walk down back to the bus stop, stopping when I passed by the alley. That already familiar voice was in the passageway.

“Well, well, isn’t it the pretty boy?”

I almost had the urge to groan and roll my eyes. I turned to see him again, that ugly scar running down his face. He had new scars, I see, probably the one he received from Mi-ja because I saw a permanent footmark on his face.

Wow, she sure kicks hard. (A/N: Dude, this has been mentioned quite a few times in the past chapters; we all know she kicks hard.)

“Well, isn’t it the guy who ran away, screaming like a little girl,” I retorted. “Where’s your crew,” I directed to the empty space behind him. “Got so scared of my friend that they gave up?”

He growled at my sharp reply. “Listen , I still won’t forget that day you kicked me in the head.”

“It was a goddamn accident! Can’t you understand that?” I was frustrated now, my grip on the umbrella tight.

“Accident or no accident, no one messes with me,” he threatened, stepping closely to me.

“Well, you, because no one messes with me!”

Slap!

My eyes went wide, feeling the hard sting on my cheek. My umbrella fell out of my hand, allowing the rain to soak me wet.

“I bet you’ll just give in again,” he sneered, cracking his knuckles. “I bet you’ll cry for help.”

I stood still in that position, not moving.

“Your little wouldn’t be here to save you this time, would she?”

My eyebrow twitched at the mention of Mi-ja.

“Well, don’t mind if I give you a beating!” He cackled, his fist out and driven towards me.

But what he did not expect was when I stopped him, my hand on his wrist.

I slowly looked at him, my eyes holding something indescribable.

He yelped when I managed to punch him with such strength that I do not know where I got it. I grabbed his shoulder and hoisted myself onto him, his neck trapped tightly between my legs. I glared at him when I met his fearful eyes before letting go of his shoulders, twisting his neck and myself, bringing him down with him.

I felt…satisfied when I heard a loud crack, releasing his twisted neck from my legs and standing up, glaring at the unconscious body.

Unconscious.

I did not kill him, just… just gave him a good night’s sleep.

I went over and picked up my umbrella, brushing the dirt off my dampened shoulders before scoffing. “No one messes with the Diva,” I murmured to myself before smiling.

I finally fought back, for once.

I could see Mi-ja’s grinning face when she stated that she would be my bodyguard. I could see her weak smile when she fended off the men for me.

I could not help it as tears spilled out while I was walking. I clamped my hand over my mouth to stifle my sobs.

Even if I did get stronger…

She is not here to see it.


Onew’s POV

Not here.

She is not here!

I was around the mall where we went together as SHINee. I felt selfish when we all split up that day, leaving her alone to do our own thing.

To think that she really is alone…

I walked around, trying my best to look calm. I did not want to worry people around me. I had sunglasses on to hide my identity in this busy place. (In fact, I am surprised that it is still open despite the weather. Wouldn’t most malls be closed at a certain time? It is past 8:01 here!)

I hardly doubt she will be in here. She is not the type who is that stupid enough to hide herself within a crowd of people.

“Excuse me,” I asked a woman who passed by. “Have you seen a girl who’s about this tall,” I pointed around my shoulder. “Had auburn hair this long,” I measured it around my chest area. “And wore a white blouse top with long sleeves?” I made the description simple as possible, since Min-Ae gave it to us in case if we were to ask people.

The woman shook her head. “I’m sorry; I have not seen a girl like that anywhere in the mall. Is she your daughter?”

I almost had the reflex to say ‘no!’, but then I realized that she might find me to be a ert or a captor so I nodded as a response to his question. “Yes, she ran away from home due to stress. I wanted to find her and comfort her.”

“Oh, poor girl! Shouldn’t you report this to the police?”

I shook my head. “It’s too soon. I have to double check first before knowing that she’s missing.”

She smiled in understanding. “Alright. I hope you find her. I’m sorry I couldn’t be more of help.”

I smiled in reassurance, thanking her before leaving her alone.

I stood there, in sight of outside where the ice-cream stand was. It was raining badly, obviously, and my mind flooded with memories of us there. I remember seeing the little Mi-ja, whose eyes sparkled like the stars in the night sky. I remembered seeing the grown-up Mi-ja, tugging onto my arm as she squealed in my ear, almost making me go deaf.

I remember seeing her flushed cheeks when I wiped away the ice cream from her lips.

Moreover, her smile…

All vanished.

They were all gone from her as she is suffering in a place where we cannot find her.

I was then hanging my head low in loss.

She is definitely not here. I know she is not.


Min’s POV

What is this, Running Man in Seoul Edition? I thought to myself as I ran down the street in my Nikes’ shoes through the rain. The rain ceased its lightning bolts and thunder crashes, and it lifted up a little bit more, but it still poured. I was running on my way to the café where I met her again on our second encounter.

I remember her blushing face, her shy smile and her sparkling brown eyes…

Why was the world so cruel to such an angel? I want those features back.

want them back to me.

I never knew how much we needed her in our life until now. With that in mind, I sped up, my breath growing rigid and thin.

“Sehun!” I called out to the brunet who was just closing up the shop, umbrella in hand. He looked at me, surprised of my appearing presence.

“Oh, Min! Wasn’t expected to see you—omo, you’re drenched!” He exclaimed, pulling me underneath his umbrella. I thanked him for shielding me from the rain, holding my chest to catch my breath.

God, it is so hard trying to get my breath. “First off,” I wheezed, “congratulations on your comeback and your promotions. Hope it goes well for your first concert.”

He nodded, thanking me.

“Secondly,” I finally got my breath back, taking in a deep amount of salty air before asking, “Have you seen a girl who came by the café during this time of the day?”

He thought about it for a while before asking me, “Be more specific. I could have seen any girl passing by here.”

Hmm, good point.

“She’s around my height, but a little bit shorter—like a doll,” I blushed, my face extremely red for calling her that. I am so glad that area was a bit dark so he was unable to see my face. “She have auburn hair, like, dark brown but more on the redder side of the color, about to the chest area,” I described her more comprehensively. “And she wore a thin, white blouse with long sleeves, a bit puffy and loose around the stomach area and simple denim jeans.”

Sehun hummed, looking around as he tried to remember. To my disappointment, he shook his head in regret. “No, I’m sorry I have not. I would definitely remember a girl like that, but I don’t suppose I have seen her by the café, or have seen her come inside.”

“Oh.”

He shrugged his shoulders apologetically and was about to lock the door before snapping his fingers. “Oh, wait! Maybe I did see her!”

If I had cat ears, they would be perking up right now. “Really?”

“Yeah, I did! She managed to come inside before the rain started. She looked really sad and worn out. I was so surprised when I saw that her hand was bleeding!” Then he sighed. “Being the nice guy I am, I offered her to bandage her hand and she just nodded her head.”

That is definitely her.

“What did she say?”

He shook his head. “She didn’t say anything else and left without a word. She did not even wear any shoes or have an umbrella with her! She looked really broken, almost like a porcelain model that was shattered to pieces.” He looked at me. “You seem to know her really well. Do you think something happened?”

I shook my head, giving him a white lie. I did not want to give out too much secrets or have too many people involved. Mi-ja would not like that. “Nope! Do not have a clue. That’s why I’m searching for her, to find out what’s wrong.” Then I looked at my watch. “I got to go, time’s a-ticking! Bye!”

Sehun looked rather confused when I left him on the spot, running again.

Now I got my answer.

She was here.

I frowned when I do not know where she went after this.

However, she is still not here either.


Jonghyun’s POV

Damn it all!” I hissed to myself as I stormed out of the music store, the only place we went inside when Mi-ja was upset. There is no way we would find her in this ridiculous weather. I went back into my car and slammed the door shut, my hands on the wheel. I rested my head on it, panting angrily as I could not find her anywhere.

I even thought of going back to the university, thinking that she might have climbed over the gates and hid there. But that was a stupid thought—she would be expelled from there if she were to do that.

I took out my phone and went into our group chat in Kakao Talk.

Jonghyun: Has anyone found her yet?

I waited for half a minute before the object in my hand vibrated madly with the responses.

I frowned with most of the answers.

Key: She is not here in Gangnam.

Minho: Same here. Could not find her in the park.

Taemin: Not at SM either.

Onew: Not here at the mall.

Min-Ae: Cannot find her. Even went to the crafts shop and Sungshin does not even know where she is.

My eyes went wide at Min’s response.

Min: She was here at the café.

I waited for more, but leaned back into my seat with a loud growl when I saw her next reply:

Min: But she is not here either. Sehun saw her but did not know where she went after bandaging her hand.

My God, Mi-ja, you are driving us all crazy!

I typed in this in—“I am still searching for her”—and put away my phone.

I looked out the glass in front of me, watching the distorted lights underneath the raindrops. Then I smiled to myself, chuckling as I wiped my eyes, feeling the tears forming around the corners. Why am I crying? Will the others get this kind of feeling? Will they get that feeling which makes them so frustrated that they wanted to cry?

Mi-ja is like our battery, our vitamin. Once we see her, and we will become charged up.

She is like our remedy. Without our medicine, we will go insane. I cannot last for a day, knowing that she is missing.

We cannot last for a day knowing that. We all can, having peace in our heart when we know where she is, but without the presence of our remedy, we will just…

Lose control, I thought to myself. I looked at the front mirror, staring at the note I have always cherished since I was young.

Play to your heart’s content and ride the rhythm! ^^

“Play to your heart’s content…” I whispered out, the words playing against my lips. Oddly, I started to realize something as I stared at the word with furrowed eyebrows. “Your heart’s content…”

My eyes widened before turning the car keys in the lock and started the engine. I step my foot onto the pedal, not wasting any time as I drove to that certain place that I cannot believe I had forgotten about.

“I’m so stupid! After what I told her…!” I hissed to myself, feeling idiotic as I drove to the center of Seoul.

How can I have forgotten about my own secret ‘lair’? I practically gave that to her!


It was not long when I parked my sedan at the car park. I stepped out of the vehicle and looked up at that familiar tall tree that used to shine with its Christmas lights. I looked down the path where I took Mi-ja and clamped my lips tight. I put on my hood (but I doubt it will stay on once I start running) and began to run.

I do not remember running this hard. Not since the Idol Olympics in 2009 (or was it 2010?). All I know that I must have been running harder than Minho has.

I felt blades of grassland itching my ankles. I ceased my running and looked around, realizing that I was already in the park. I scanned for the large, dark green mass of trees through the rain. I saw a flicker of light from the distance.

Found you.

I ran over to the lanterns that I knew all too well. I slip a little when I heard a series of thunder mixed with lightning. They had not appeared for some time, so it startled me a bit. I regained my balance, leaning against one of the trees as I panted.

(A/N: Sorry for ruining the mood but, is it me, or does it almost seems like a zombie apocalypse to you? No? …Never mind.)

When I looked down, I saw a glisten in the ground. Curious, I bent down to pick it up. I wiped away the mud with the help of the rain before gasping.

Mi-ja’s rainbow ring.

“That mean she’s…!” I looked towards the direction of the abandoned cathedral.

She is here.

Pushing myself away from the tree and ruffling my doused, silver hair (I knew my hood would come off), I ran off again, the building now coming up into view. As I stood in front of it, I admired its large stature as I did back then. Still so strong and sturdy, despite having a few broken roofs, but it managed to stay strong.

I eyed the door that was half-way open, the light shining through the small gap.

I felt relieved to know that she is inside there. However, my heart broke when I heard a faint crying noise.

My remedy is broken…

Slowly, I walked up to the large entryway and quietly pushed it open, stepping inside the lit up region. I was so glad that the basilica was large enough to have a few (small) holes in the roof; otherwise, the whole place would have been wet.

I walked in further, hearing the sound getting louder and louder. I stopped between rows of chairs when I saw a girl, her face buried in her knees. Her hair was a mess, all dampened and dripping with water. Her white top was torn and her jeans was all muddy. I saw that mud and blood were mixed, staining her feet.

I mentally thanked Sehun for even bandaging her hand when she came by the café when I saw strips of white gauze around her fingers and palm.

I stepped close to her.

“Don’t,” she choked out.

I did not listen to her order and sat beside where she’s sitting, my hand on her back. She flinched away from my touch, moving away from me. I placed my hand on my lap instead, feeling pity for her.

I found her. I found that one clover in a meadow of clubs.

However, that clover is lifeless.

“I heard,” I told her. “About what happened during dinner, I mean.”

Mi-ja scoffed, now raising her head to look at me. She looked horrible, with puffy, red eyes and swollen pink cheeks. Her voice was hoarse, as if she had wasted her energy cursing, screaming and crying altogether. “So I’ve noticed. Did Min-Ae tell you to bring me back?”

I shook my head. “No. I am not going to force you to go back. I told you, this place is yours to keep if you want some peace and quiet.”

She sat there on the cold, tiled floor, going mute before requesting me in a soft tone, “Jonghyun-oppa.”

I smiled warmly at her. “Yes, MiMi?”

“Hug me.”

Moreover, I did. I brought myself closer to her and wrapped my arms around her. I felt her arms tightly holding me, her face buried into my chest.

“It would be nice if you talked to me. It’s better than holding it all in,” I convinced her.

Her grip on my shirt grew tighter as she felt conflicted before relaxing, her fingers now loose upon my shirt.

“It haunts me. Everyday.”


No-one’s POV

A ‘just turned’ six-years-old Mi-ja sat by the staircase in a late June night, her eyes moist as she heard her parents arguing.

“Seriously Younghwa, I thought I knew you better than that!” It was her mother’s voice, so livid and loud.

She has retired from being a police officer months ago and became a musician instead. Which is why she taught her a few tips on playing instruments.

“Julie, please believe me, it was not I who started it first! You know I only love you!” Her father’s voice came in next.

A scoff was heard. “Didn’t seem like it when she kissed you. You didn’t push her away and I was right there!” A sigh. “Moreover, I’m not upset about you, I’m upset about Sunhee. She’s my friend and your best friend, and yet she did that?”

Silence.

“What? Why are you not saying anything about her? Or is it because she’s your best friend, you can’t say that she’s in the wrong here?”

“That’s… that’s not true.”

“Then what?”

Mi-ja could not listen anymore and ran up the stairs to her bedroom, ceasing the voices of the conversation.

After that, she knew that her parents did not speak much for a month lately. In addition, since that night, every other night was the same.

It was one day when her mother told her in a happy voice that they are going on a vacation.

“Really?” the little girl squealed, her round eyes wide with excitement.

She nodded. “Ne~! We are going to visit your aunt in the United States!”

Mi-ja looked at her with big eyes. “Is the United States big?”

“Oh yes, it’s so big, you would think they are like the dinosaurs! US is an amazing legend!”

“Wah~!”

She was far too innocent to know the truth behind her words.


It was only four days since they arrived and visited their aunt. Mi-ja spoke little English, but Aunt Sara helped her out a lot. She was extremely excited, too blind in her own world to see the sadness on her mother’s face.

It was the fifth day when the tragedy happened.

“Mommy,” she spoke in English, “How do I sound?”

“You sound great, little Mi-ja! You have improved well!” Her mother called out from the front driver seat, her eyes shown on the front mirror.

She giggled as she sat in the backseat, swinging her legs back and forth. She began to hum a lively tune.

They were on their way to seeing Aunt Sara again, after a day off and a lot of shopping. Her mother used her own car that she had lent to her when she left to Korea, now back into her hands for the week.

Conversely, as she looked out the window, she saw a black, large van.

She thought that it was just going in the same route as her, but then she realized that, after a few minutes driving further onto the road, it was following her.

“Umma,” she called out. “Why is a black car following us?”

“What?” Her voice seemed surprised, looking at the side mirror. “Oh,” her voice grew soft before it grew demanding. “Mi-ja, I need you to put on your seatbelt.”

“Why?” she asked, but she did so anyways, strapping it across her body.

Her mother didn’t answer her question as she bit her bottom lip, aware of whose black car was it. She slowly put her foot on the pedal, increasing the speed.

She has to get away from them and get them both safe and out of sight.

Mi-ja squeaked when she felt the sudden rush, the automobile going into high speed.

“Umma!” she cried out, her hands on her ears as she heard the high-pitched squealing from the engine. “Too fast!”

She looked out the windows and saw two men on the motorbike, both dressed in men. They looked menacing in her eyes.

Her body would have swung to the side if she didn’t wore the seatbelt as the woman made a harsh turn in the road, her ears deafened by loud honking of the cars and her mother’s apologies screaming out the open window.

This was not how her mother used to drive.

The shorthaired auburn yelled at her, “Where are we going? You’re going too fast!” She opened her eyes and saw the black car blocking her way. Her eyes went wide when she saw it heading right towards her, without her mother’s knowledge.

She could not hear her mother’s words due to the high frequency. When she looked behind her, she saw Mi-ja’s wide eyes.

Her large eyes were fixated on those two, bright headlights coming towards them.

The next thing she knew, gloom met her.

 

 

She could not remember.

Her body ached everywhere. She thought that her back was wet and sore, but it felt excruciating. It was like glass and needles were stabbing into her skin.

Mi-ja could not move at all, her body laid immobile onto the cement road. Her weak eyes stared at the car that flipped itself upside down, the body of her mother stuck underneath.

“Umma…” she breathed out, her voice holding in the pain she felt before she heard shrieking sirens in her ears.

She heard whispering voices of the people around her and cold hands on her face.

“Umma…” she weakly reached out for the medics that took her mother’s body away before they gently pushed her arm back to her side, her whole body feeling light and strange as they placed the little girl upon a soft mattress.

Tears brimmed her eyes. “Umma…!” she murmured her name one last time before she out, unable to remember what happened to her afterwards.


Jonghyun’s POV

I patted her back as she fell asleep after crying in my arms about her remembrance of the incident—the incident she rather forget and live without for the rest of her life. But she now knows that it wasn’t an accident.

We all know that, thanks to her wicked step-mother.

I think…I think I know why she cannot remember us anymore. However, I cannot assume now. I am not a witness nor have I been with her at the hospital to know what truly happened to her.

No wonder why you took so long to come back.

As I stare at her, it is hard to believe that the Mi-ja I knew 14 years is here in my arms. That strong, arrogant Mi-ja is crying and broken, all because of a stupid accident. Now that both her step-mother and Su-Min found her weakness, I doubt she’ll be strong enough to withstand it when a thousand people use it against her.

I took out the rainbow ring from my back pocket and stared at it, before taking Mi-ja’s left hand and putting it back onto her index finger. I smiled, happy to see it back with its owner.

I then took out my phone and went back onto Kakao Talk, telling the rest of the group of her appearance:

Jonghyun: I found her.

It was not long since the others bombarded me with questions before I simply gave them the directions.

The rainstorm had finally calmed down after Mi-ja went to sleep. I find it weird actually – to think that the rain stopped right after she fell asleep.

What is this, some kind of supernatural world we are living in?

Minho was the first to arrive and barge into the cathedral, creating so much noise in the zone. (What the—? How did he get here so fast?) I glared at him and put a finger to my lips, pointing at the female, whose face looked so peaceful, sleeping on me.

He made a face and apologized to me silently, feeling remorseful for almost waking her up with his loud noises. He crouched down to her eye level. He smiled warmly, brushing away a loose strand from her face. I examined his face secretly when he looked at Mi-ja. I could see the sparkles in his eyes, the red flush on his cheeks when he caressed her cheek. I narrowed my eyes at him after seeing those actions.

Those were the same features I saw when Taemin was with Mi-ja.

I looked away after examining him more and let out a soft chuckle, not wanting to see more of his worried, lovesick form. I should have known.

It was not long when we met the others ourselves, Mi-ja sleeping onto Minho’s shoulder as he carried her on his back for me. Just the sight of her relieved everyone. However, being unprepared by Key’s loud sneezing surprised us all. We were astonished that he managed to rush here despite having a long trip from Gangnam.

“I hate the goddamn flood,” he mumbled. “Never again.”

Thanks to him, we ended up laughing, releasing the tight shackles around our hearts. Min-Ae only patted his back, telling him to get used to it.

We drove all the way back to the dormitory. Min-Ae suggested to let her reside at our place temporarily before she could go back home. It would be better not to let her see her step-mother’s face for a while. We all agreed with that idea and decided to let her stay with us.

I was the one driving my car with Min, Minho and Taemin. The others were with Kangdae and Min-Ae.

I glanced beside me and saw Min sleeping, leaning her head on the window. I looked up at the front mirror and saw that Minho and Mi-ja were sleeping peacefully as ever, the female’s head resting against the rapper’s shoulder.

Everyone was sleeping but Taemin and me.

He does not seem to notice that I’m glancing at him through the mirror as he looked at Mi-ja with a guilty look. Yet, his eyes sparked with jealousy.

I pretended not to notice, focusing my eyes on the road as he looked ahead, staring at the front view mirror for a couple of seconds before looking out the window, his eyes still red.

He must be tired, I am sure.

Then I smirked to myself.

On the other hand, he must be sad, suffering in covetousness.

Mi-ja, I wish one of the two would be yours.


Minho’s POV

When we all (all of us, including Kangdae and Min-Ae) arrived at the dormitory, I was the first to wake up when the engine stopped.

I was the one who had to carry her up the stairs, although she woke up a bit in my arms, looking around confusedly. Once she saw that it was I, her face went bright red.

I smiled, thinking that she was cute when she did that. I carried her to the couch, since her feet are dirty and bruised. They needed to be cleaned.

Other than making reactions, she didn’t speak much. I looked at her, sitting on the ground whilst Key went to get the towel and a large basin.

I saw her dull eyes behind the glasses’ lens, her irises now averted onto her hands on her knees. I can’t see the stars in her eyes anymore. Those stars always seemed like they are the galaxies, and that shows that she’s not your ordinary person.

I miss them. I want them back.

“Poor Mi-baby,” Key murmured once he came back with the basin full of clean, warm water and a towel slung over his shoulder. He appears to look more like a mother more and more nowadays.

Onew and Jonghyun was the last to enter the building. I stifled my laughter at the sight of Jonghyun struggling to carry a sleeping Min.

“Shut up frog,” he hissed as he let out a grunt, shifting his position in carrying the brown-haired woman. It was harder when he had to take her up the stairs.

“I did warn you that one time that she’s heavy!” I let out a chuckle and looked back at Mi-ja, surprised to see her cracking a little smile on her lips. “Oh, she smiled!”

“Really?” Key looked up from washing her feet and saw her emotionless face instead. “Hmm, are you sure she did? She’s been like that for the past five minutes now.”

I was shocked with the abrupt change. “But… she just…” I trailed off, unable to speak any more.

The blond chuckled beside me, patting my shoulder. “You must be tired. We all are. It has been a long night searching for her and we did get drenched from the rain. Now we’re all shivering cold and I want to have my bath to get rid of the salty smell.”

I hate to admit it, but he is right. The smell of rain is beginning to linger around the place and I doubt anyone want to come home to a zone that smells of the seaside and rainwater.

In addition, most of us have dried muck on our body, literally covering most of our front.

Onew came by once Key was finished with cleaning her feet and sat next to Mi-ja, a hand on her shoulder. She looked at him, her eyebrows furrowed at him. He only smiled at her.

“Do you want something to eat?”

No, she says with the movement of her head.

“Well, how about a drink?”

She sat still for a moment, her eyes not on him before saying to him, again with the actions of her head, yes.

He smiled. “What do you want?”

Mi-ja did not know what to choose as her face slowly began to scrunch up. Key and I almost laughed at the cuteness that was forming on her appearance.

Onew even chuckled at this as well. “I think I know what you want,” he told her. “You want your warm, strawberry milk, don’t you?”

At the comment on strawberry, her eyes rejuvenated, the stars resurfacing in those brown orbs of hers. She clutched onto his arm, irises glistening avidly. “Yes, please!” Her voice was sore and croaky, but it never failed to hide her excitement.

I laughed as Key got up to do her favorite request. Onew looked so proud of himself, glad that he had broken her depressed shell. He laughed when Mi-ja clung onto his arm like a child, chanting ‘strawberry, strawberry!’ over and over again. Her cheeks went bright red and her dull eyes regained its bright, chocolate color.

We were all happy to see her starry eyes back. Just seeing them is more than enough.


I heard a soft knock on the door in my room. I had just finished changing after my shower, wearing a simple white tee shirt and sweatpants.

“Minho-oppa?” a voice came from outside the entrance.

“Coming,” I called out from inside, setting down my book and getting up from the bed. I walked up to the door, my hand on the doorknob. I twisted it open, meeting the eyes of a small female in front of me.

Mi-ja smiled at me, her feline, round eyes staring up at mine. She was wearing my comfortable clothes as her pajamas for the night.

I almost feared that she would hear my pounding heartbeat or see my reddened cheeks. In addition, seeing her in my wardrobes was not helping me either.

I…I didn’t mind.

(I swear to God, I hope I’m not blushing like crazy in front of her.)

I liked how my cerulean blue jersey complimented her figure, hugging her loosely. I could see her small shoulders, her skin smooth and white as creamy milk. The lilac-colored shorts were a bit large for her, but she fixed that problem by tightening the elastic band around her waist.

“Thank you for the garments,” she told me. Her vocal sound was gradually recovering, all thanks to Min who had woken up and made medicine for .

I shook my head. “Don’t mention it.”

She hummed before whispering to me. “Come closer,” she said, gesturing with her hand to come nearer to her.

I creased my eyebrows, puzzled of her demand but still inclined forward, submitting to her.

Closer!”

I leaned closer when she said so, inch by inch until my ear was near her lips.

“Good night,” she whispered to me and before she pulled away, to my surprise, she pressed her lips against my cheek.

I stood upright almost immediately, my eyes wide as I watched the currently withdrawing auburn, going back into the guest room we had prepared for her. Few seconds later, my face exploded bright red, the heat radiating off my skin. My heart was jumping all over the place and I feel like the butterflies in my stomach are going to make me throw up kaleidoscopic arcs or pink sparkles.

I heard a squeak of the wooden floor. I looked to the other direction to see Lee Taemin, just meters from where I am standing. He tensed up, seeing that I had noticed him before he quickly turned around, attempting to evade the scene.

Wait,” I ordered.

He froze in his steps, his feet stuck in mid-turn and just minutes away from walking.

I walked over to him, taking in large strides with my long legs before grabbing his arm, taking him a little further away from my room. I forcefully turned him around to face me.

He was looking at anywhere but my eyes. His eyes were focused on my Adam’s apples that bobbed slightly in my throat.

“What just happened today?” I asked.

Taemin his lower lip and looked away, chuckling nervously. “What happened? I do not know what happened. I don’t know what you’re talking about. Oh, you must be talking about finding Mi-ja! Yeah, that was hectic today; I almost had a mental breakdown on that! Wow, aren’t we—”

“—you know what I mean, Lee Taemin,” I interrupted his nonsensical rants, narrowing my eyes at him to tell him that I am actually being serious here.

The brunet stood hushed before sighing, a puff of air escaping from his nostrils. “It’s nothing. Absolutely nothing and it’s none of your beeswax.”

I scoffed, grabbing his arm when he tried to leave. “It is my ‘beeswax’ if it has something to do with Mi-ja. Moreover, she didn’t look so pleased when I saw her about to leave. Obviously, she must have gotten the first damage from you before this happened.”

Taemin looked at me with fierce eyes, roughly shaking his arm out of my grasp. “So what if it is to you? All I did was get upset with her when she snuck into our place and managed to steal my music box. The music box she gave me! Even the envelope, hyung!”

I hummed, taking this in calmly. Although I was a bit surprised to know that she would do such a thing (because knowing her, she’s never to steal anything), I wasn’t too worried about it. “Firstly, don’t you think she’s already beginning to get suspicious? We’ve been acting normally whilst she’s out there, possibly regaining her memories.”

Realization dawned onto him and I fought the urge to roll my eyes at him. “Honestly Lee Taemin, don’t you think you would get suspicious if you had people acting like they know you when you can't remember them at all?”

He stood silent.

“And whatever she said about the envelope thing, I’ll have to agree with her. It has been a year since I last saw you with it. And it’s still sealed?”

“I—” he trailed off, his eyes sad as he remembered something. I let out an agitated sigh.

I am seriously beginning to get pissed off right now.

He shook his head and glared at me. “Whatever, like you’d care about what Sulli gave me,” he paused for a moment before murmuring, “It’s just not fair. You are the first person she saw and already she fell for you. I liked her first!”

I shifted my standing position, vertical on one leg as I crossed my arms over my chest. “She’s not an object, Taemin. There’s no such thing as ‘I liked her first’ or whatnots.”

“But still.”

I looked at him, seeing the brunet dancer that was now staring at me, dead in the eye. I looked away and chuckled, knowing him well enough to agree with him. I cannot say no to that.

After all, we all did meet her when she was only five years old.

Taemin was the first to approach her.

But I was the first she was interested in.

“I know,” I told him, looking at him with warm eyes. My lips curved into a smirk as I stepped closer to him. “But I might just have a chance. I like her too as well.”

He narrowed his eyes at me. “You wouldn’t. You can’t win everything you see, Choi Minho. I won’t lose to you. Not to Kim Kibum either.”

Eh? He didn’t know about Key-hyung withdrawing from our competition?

I let out a laugh. “Taemin, Kibum gave up a long time ago. Didn’t you notice that he stopped being flirtatious around her recently?”

He blinked. He blinked again.

“Wah, you’re so dense!” I stifled my laughter when his pale face burned bright red.

“W-What? He did?”

“Yup,” I answered before touching his cheek. “It’s just you…and mealone.”

He began stammering. “I-I-I didn’t know…I thought he was still…I-I didn’t…”

Ah, this is amusing. “My, your face is red.”

“That’s because it’s hot in here!” Taemin defended himself quickly, the heat growing hotter as his face grew redder. He was pressing himself against the wall, trapped as I crept towards him, like a predator after its prey.

“But it’s cold outside?” I leaned closer to him. He stopped me, his hands on my chest, his face turned sideways as he tried to avoid having any of my face making skin contact with his.

“Then I’m sick! Cough cough!” He faked coughing, his fist covering his mouth.

I hummed, smiling at him as my nose managed to nuzzle his cheek. “But you seemed healthy despite being in the rain though?”

Taemin let out an annoyed huff. “T-then t-t-that’s because…oh, get off me, Choi Minho!” He shoved me off with much strength he can muster up and ran away from me, as far as possible he can to hide his red face. I ended up laughing, clutching onto my stomach area when I heard his voice from downstairs: “I hate you and your perfect face, Choi ing Minho!”

“Ah, Taemin-ah… You can be so easy to tease,” I snickered as I walked back to my bedroom. “Cute too,” I smiled to myself as I took in his blushing face. “No wonder why she’s so conflicted,” I thought as I began to empathize with Mi-ja.

“Even I would fall for his charms.”


Free 2MIN fan service! Come get your free 2MIN fan service here! Popcorns and drinks only for £1 each! ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

 

YOU ARE VERY WELCOME.

You can thank me later.

I like to end this ‘supposedly depressing and really sad sob story boohoo’ chapter on a happy note, so everyone can have a good laugh aside from being relieved.

Well, what is better than receiving an angry, embarrassed Taemin and a player Minho?

If this gave you an inspiration to write a one-shot on 2MIN, please let me know, I’d be so glad! /shot

I just realized that it’s actually down to my favorite pairing of all time in SHINee—2MIN themselves. Taemin and Minho. And one of them is my bias.

Da fu

WIPE THAT FREAKING SMIRK OFF YOUR FACE CHOI MINHO! ┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`▭´)ノ︵ ┻━┻

Oh my gosh, that reminds me of my second story, Demon & Angel. I yet have to finish that chapter that has been sitting on my document for days since the day I started studying for my exams.

Even when I finished my exams, it’s just…there.

(Those who are subscribed to D&A, I apologize for the long-term maintenance but I’m afraid that the author is suffering a disease called ‘writers’ block’ so please wait while we give her food and sweets to gain inspiration)

/shotdeadmilliontimes

Oh well. I’m human – we can’t change that fact.

And you must be thinking this: 'Wow, Mi-ja's so weak here. Isn't that type of person overused?' Well, let me say this to you: someone who's close to you (or not close to you, either way) deliberately killed your mother/father/family relative, can you be strong and still be okay with it?

Of course not. I'm just writing what would actually happen if it does happen in reality (I hope not, God forbids!) Nobody can really be strong. We're all vulnerable, we can't be strong in every single situation.

this is so weird, a 15-soon-to-16 years old girl is giving wisdom on this to ppl older than me like whutttt

Therefore, most of the chapters I've written are actually BASED ON MY FEELINGS.

MY TRUE FEELINGS. ON HOW I ACT IN SITUATIONS. (although some of them may not be true.)

Btw, during the JongMi part, I was listening to EXO's Moonlight and I think that song really fit everything for me.

Plus, I love the song, it's better than Overdose, just sayin'. Please don't hate on me.

Word counting time!

 

Statistics: 
9,419 words
21 pages
40,234 characters (no spaces)
49,242 characters (with spaces)
407 paragraphs
725 lines.

 

Goddamn, that is a lot. Still could have been a bit better though.

Anyway, I will be off either writing the next chapter for WMS or focusing on D&A or writing another story because I have an idea that has been bugging me since last year /flees. See you next time on the next update! ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ