Surprise, Surprise!

What's My Story? [Discontinued]
 
Chapter 3
 
Surprise, Surprise!

The last time I remember, all I could feel was my heart beat thudding softly.

 

However, for whom?

 


 

I woke up to the sound of the alarm ringing from the distance, yet it sounds close by, as if it is in my room. I looked up in surprise, shocked from the sudden ringing.

 

I scanned around my room, but my vision was blurry. Argh, my glasses! I mentally moaned and looked around my computer desk, and saw that black object there right next to my arm.

 

I picked it up, put it on and hurray! The world is clear again! I looked around for the source of ringing and was surprised to see an alarm clock sitting there on the nightstand next to my bed.

 

I thought I broke the other one? I walked over it and saw a note taped onto it. I plucked it out from the clock and pressed the button to stop the beeping because it was seriously getting a bit too annoying. I then started to read the note:

 

Mija, I saw your broken alarm clock on the floor yesterday morning
so I replaced it with a new one! It is a radio alarm clock! Nice, eh?
Have a nice day, hon!

Appa †

 

I smiled at the note and put it down next to the clock before picking the newly bought clock.

 

All right, let us see if I could get the radio working. I started tuning the FM on the digital radio alarm, hearing the mixtures of distorted voices and static. It was then that the DJ’s voice began to get clearer in my ears and I smiled in satisfaction, setting it down as I listened to the radio talk. It was just on time because the female DJ spoke:

 

Good morning to you, Seoul! How are you? Did you all have a nice sleep? You are currently listening in to Seoul Heart FM giving you the latest Kpop and international music! Today is a sunny day, is it not? It’s a little breezy, but don’t let that ruin your fun!

 

It is time to liven up the atmosphere with BIGSTAR and their song, “Run & Run”! Afterwards, we will have SHINee’s “Why So Serious?” and then f(x)’s “Electric Shock”. Later on, we will have the news and advertisements. Keep living your day nicely, Seoul!

 

I smiled as I heard that SHINee’s latest song is coming up afterwards. Too bad I will not be here to hear it. I turned around to face the wall, my body moving to the beat as the song played in my room. I walked over to my closet to get the clothes I wanted to wear for the day.

 

Seems like a good day to have a nice cup of tea at a café, I thought with a nod, a smile on my face as I stared out of my window, seeing the sun shining down on the scenery. With the soft breeze brushing past my skin, it does feel like a nice day to go out and do some exploring. I shut down the window and clapped my hands, nodding my head.

 

“All right, Mija! It’s time to go out and not be a nerd anymore!” I encouraged myself, the air as I let out a small ‘Yeah!’ before I left my spot to get ready for the day.

 


 

Again, it is so hard to leave on time without Minae trying to pull me back and giving me the “you-better-watch-your-back” glare. Kangdae just had to scold her.

 

C…Can I say that I felt weird when Kangdae started petting my head as if I am a cat? (No, not petted like a kid, but a cat.)

 

…Yeah, I guess I could.

 

Even though I did not like Minae very much, I felt somewhat sorry for her. I mean, her own brother is going onto my side and not hers. Hell, if I had a biological brother and he acted like Kangdae towards Minae, I would feel the same way.

 

I guess you could say I understood her—almost.

 

I straightened my white buttoned-up blouse and smoothed down my black short shorts. I flexed my ankles in my grey sneakers.

 

Black & White style! Like a gentleman, I giggled a little to myself as I examined my attire. Well, not that I am complaining.

 

As I fix up my clothes, I felt a strong hand on my shoulders. I looked at the mirror and saw my father smiling at me through the reflection. I smiled back at him through the glass before adjusting the collar of my shirt. Once that was done, I turned around to look to him. “Thanks for the new alarm!” I told him with a grin before hugging him tightly. It feels so nice to have an understanding father.

 

From the corner of my eyes, I could see Minae’s face scrunching up, obviously disturbed before she suddenly turned around to avoid the sight.

 

Humph, jealous much? I mentally rolled my eyes and pulled away to look at my father. He had a sharp jawline and his hair was dyed light blond. His eyes were sparkling brown and he had that warm grin on his face.

 

“No problem. So, are any of you going somewhere this early in the morning?” He asked us—and by us, he meant me, Minae and Kangdae (exception from the witch as he—we—obviously know where she is going.)

 

I was just about to answer first, but Minae beat me to it, stepping forward as she looked at my father with excited eyes.

 

“Guess what, I’m going to get tickets for this concert coming up next Friday,” she told him with a squeal. He only looked at her with a small hum and a nod, as if he was slightly interested. “Then, I will go this recently opened mall down in the central of Seoul. I heard they are even having a sale! After that, I will have lunch with my friends,” she said, ending her plans as she gazed at my father with that aegyo-looking expression on her face.

 

I inwardly made a face as I looked away with a slight roll of my eyes. Bleh!

 

My father nodded and told her, “That’s a lot of plans. Be sure not to come back home too late, arasseo?”

 

Ne,” I practically shivered when I hear that sickeningly sweet voice—it’s exactly the same tone as my stepmother. Like mother, like daughter—how annoying.

 

Kangdae turned to him and said, “I am thinking of going to the park somewhere in the afternoon after my work-out session at the gym,” he answered with a slight nod.

 

Then all eyes went onto me.

 

Strangely enough, I received this déjà vu feeling from yesterday when I remembered having pairs of eyes on me in the lunchroom.

 

I it up and simply told my father, “Exploring.”

 

I heard Minae scoffed and mumbled, “That’s fun. Not,” followed by an “Ow, that hurts!” when Kangdae pinched her elbow.

 

I just dealt with it as I always do and stayed quiet as I faced away from the trio and just pulled my hair up into a messy bun. I pulled out a grey beanie and fixed my bangs, making sure I looked presentable before nodding slightly to myself.

 

I turned to the group who smiled at me—except Minae, of course.

 

“I’m leaving,” I uttered in a soft voice as I grabbed my bag and slung it over my shoulder. I grabbed my keys and stuck it into my back pocket of my shorts. Making sure I had everything I needed, I waved to them before my hand automatically guided itself to the doorknob.

 

I heard my father and my stepbrother say good-bye to me as soon as I opened the door. I walked out, going onto whatever journey I am planning to have on a sunny Saturday.

 


 

The door moved open and I heard bells clashing against each other, chiming as I pushed through the entrance of the café.

 

I looked around the area.

 

It seems that there are some people around. There are people around, but not to the point where it is crowded. I stepped inside, letting the door close by itself as I searched for a seat. I spotted an empty area just around the corner in front of the large glass window. I went over there to see an empty table that curved into a circle, the red, soft couch having seats that is seemingly enough for at least eight people.

 

As I sat down, picked up the menu and started looking at the inside contents, I began to wonder about SHINee. They have been nice to me yesterday and I found them cute. After learning some things about them, it is no wonder why the girls did not want me around them because I stuck out like a sore thumb.

 

I sighed. I am nothing compared to them. I am a girl who can play a couple of instruments and can sing, but they have literally the entire world in their hands by being an idol and the most favoured K-pop group. What does that make me?

 

While looking at the contents in the menu and at the glass window in between, I heard the bells chiming from behind. I looked to see a female entering the café. Wait, she looks oddly familiar. I peered in closer and my eyes widen when I examined her appearances: long brown hair that curved along her round face, full pink lips and rosy red cheeks, sparkling brown eyes.

 

I gasped when I recognized the female.

 

Choi Min!

 

Well, crap, I thought. She seemed happy talking to the male employee at the cashier who was also delighted to see her as well. When Min turned into my direction, I quickly turned around and ducked down.

 

Please do not see me, oh God, I hope she does not know I am here! Please do not see me! I beg you God; do not let her see me!

 

“Uh?” I heard a small, surprised voice before she let out a squeal. I bit my lower lip as I can hear jumping. “Mija! Is that you? Hi! It’s me, Min!” I slumped down slightly and I turned to my right to see her face right in front of me, a grin on her face.

 

I grinned awkwardly back at her, saying, “H-Hi, Min…”

 

We both smiled at each other before I was then looking away to bite my lower lip. I squeezed my eyes shut, realizing that my hopes are going down the drains.

 

Well, thank you for ignoring my prayers.

 


 

After that wild encounter, we both gave out our orders (with me wanting only milk tea with toast and her wanting strawberry shortcake—a whole cake…what?—and coffee). I looked at the light brown haired female who was just sitting right across the table, smiling at me.

 

“I didn’t expect you to see you here, Mija!” She said with a grin. I only nodded slightly, the shyness overcoming me.

 

“E-Eh…yeah! I didn’t expect you to see you either,” I muttered out, audible enough for her to hear. She nodded, crossing her arms over her chest and leaned back into the couch as she looked around the café.

 

“Did you know that this was Minho and mine’s favourite café? We used to come here a lot when we were younger. I’m surprised to see Sehun was working here for a year now!”

 

(A/N: I do not own Sehun nor EXO, they belong rightfully to SM.)

 

My eyebrows rose at this, “I didn’t know that you two… wait, did you say Minho?—Choi Minho from SHINee?”

 

Min was slightly surprised at this as well then nodded with a smile, and answered to my mental question: “Yup, Choi Minho’s my older cousin: I’m his dongsaeng, he’s my oppa!” She said proudly.

 

I nearly choked on my saliva, only coughing out loudly as I took in this news.

 

What.

 

Min was laughing at my shocked expression as I quickly wiped it off my face and stared back at her.

 

“You two are cousins? But you guys have the same last name!”

 

“Ah it’s true that we do, but I am from his father’s side, duh! Of course we would have the same last names. We don’t look similar, but our personalities totally match each other.”

 

I scowled. I don’t see anything similar about their personalities—Min is so upbeat and cheerful and Minho just seemed so quiet and gentle most of the time, and he always have this mysterious aura around him.

 

Just how are they similar to each other?

 

“We both love competitions and sports, especially football, since we would get competitive around each other.”

 

That explains it, I thought to myself with a small sigh and a shy nod.

 

Nothing more came between us when our orders arrived. I eyed her with raised eyebrows, my face turning into an almost impressed expression as I ate my toast when she began eating her first slice of cake—I wonder how she will finish it all. Even so, would she not get fat from eating that much? I watched her take another…then she drank, and then she ate and ate and ate.

 

“I… I do not know how you are able to eat it all… you’ll get fat,” I told her after finishing off my toast, with only my tea left to finish (as it is boiling hot). Min only grinned at this and shrugged her shoulders.

 

“I have a high metabolism rate so I don’t get fat that easily,” she explained her as she grabbed a napkin and wiped away the mess on her face. “Minho also has this type of thing, so it’s a lot harder for both of us to gain weight as we wished to, but easier to lose weight when we workout. I don’t particularly see it as a bad thing, but I would prefer not to look like a walking stick,” she told me with a sigh before shaking her head. “Oh well, it can’t be helped if it’s in the genes.”

 

That was it as she resumed eating the cake. I only nodded in understanding, absorbing the information like a sponge. Minae would be so jealous of her…

 

I began to reconsider on behalf of my feelings as I felt a bit of envy thudding in my chest. I would be slightly jealous of her too.

 

I guess she saw me eying the cake while I sipped on my tea because she offered me one, saying, “Would you like a slice?”

 

“No thank you.”

 

Min frowned at my quick, yet polite answer. “Mija, I can see you staring at the cake as if you became a wild beast looking for its prey. At least accept the offer I am giving to you. I hardly share my food with anyone!”

 

I cautiously looked at the brown-haired woman in front of me before I began to eye at the plate with that delicious goodness of a sweet sitting there and it is just…there.

 

I scowled at the way the delectable dessert was sitting on the plate, mocking me and playing with my mind. I paid no attention to Min’s amused look as I glared at the sweet that taunted me, tempting me to eat it.

 

How can I not resist it? I nodded and shyly took the plate into my hands, and picked up a fork. I took a bite, the piece now engulfed by my mouth and dissolving onto my tongue. My face just broke up into a big smile, ignoring Min’s giggle at my funny reaction as I just melted into the heavenly goodness, the fork still in my mouth as I savoured the taste, chewing onto the strawberry that used to be on top of the cake slice.

 

Oh my god, Eomma, that hit the spot.

 

I heard a thud from the glass window next to me but I pay no mind as I then began to take another piece into my mouth. As I had taken that bite as well, I looked up to see Min staring strangely out at the window, and around me, people staring out with either strange, shocked or surprised looks on their faces. Fork still in my mouth, I almost gagged on it when I saw the most surprising scene ever.

 

I saw Taemin and Jonghyun’s faces squished up against the window, their eyes only on the cake I am holding (or I think it is mostly me).

 

Behind them, Minho’s eyebrows were furrowed, his eyes wide in terror. His expression was clearly saying ‘WTF?’ as a way of showing his embarrassment.

 

Key was face-palming, a hand over his bangs which covered his eyes as he shook his head in disbelief. He’s pretty much embarrassed with them (I’d be embarrassed too—they’d have the guts to do this in public. Do they have an image to take care of?). In fact, the duo are acting like children, younger than their supposed age and hardly paid attention to the people inside who were taking ridiculous photos of them.

 

The next member hardly showed any reaction. Onew was just smiling nervously, as if apologizing for the duo’s childish behaviour as he played with his blond locks. He is a leader, indeed. One would say he is the father of the group!

 

The dino—I mean, Jonghyun, my gosh—looked extremely happy whatsoever, and I could have sworn that I saw puppy ears and tail wagging happily from his behind. His eyes were big and I can actually see them sparkling in those chocolate orbs, a grin on his face. I could see the pressed skin of his hands against the window and his rings. He was bouncing quite a lot too.

 

Taemin was similar to Jonghyun’s, his mouth wide open and his eyes pleading. I am guessing he was hungry because he kept eying the cake in my hand with a hopeful look in his eyes, as if he wants me to feed it to him. He looked like a village idiot.

 

As much I want to laugh at the scene and make fun of them, I am just too shocked to see two idols that look so serious onstage, acting like five-years-old pranksters in the past. I was watching their fun and mature side last night – since when they had become this?

 

At least there is another reason why fans love them…

 

I just said one line as I spoke through my teeth clenching the fork in my mouth, “You got to be kidding me!”


Author's notes: N/A