Chapter 11

Choi Sulli's Return

Sulli decided to go to downtown and take a relaxing stroll.  She wore sunglasses as she walked through the streets of Busan city filled with activity, be sure that the glasses are not tools to avoid curious stares directed at her from the people who knew her.  Stepping out it feels like walking into a sauna.  The weather is hot.  Even with her glasses, she still felt the glare of the sun that go through the lens.  When her eyes finally adapting, Sulli groaned at what she saw. 

Choi Minho leaned against the wall bank which she passed.  Side knees bent, feet shod rest to the brick. A suit and tie makes Sulli swallowed difficulty. 

 

Sulli's POV

Oh God.  He is so handsome with that suit!

Damn.  I can’t even pretend not to see it.  Should I greet or keep walking and pretend not to know. 

 

Because she parked her car in one block away, she had no choice but to walk past him or walk around to the other city block.  The weather is too hot for such a long climb.  Passed him without apparent is impossible, and because she did not want to be attacked, she was the first to speak. "Waiting for clients who want to give you a check?" 

Minho was grin, making his face looks incredible and handsome.  He was supposed to be the one posing models in Korean music video, thought Sulli. 

The man was obviously the type of model in the video, with the lines on the face that makes it look attractive.  "Who knows," said Minho, lazily pushed his body away from the wall and walked beside Sulli. “For sure it's going to make this a slow Monday morning more alive." 

"I believe that your client is impossible to prepare small amounts of money."

 "Oh?" 

"Forget it. No need to be discussed." 

"Okay. Then let me say that you're as fresh as tuft of mint leaves in the morning, Sulli-shi." Minho acted as a good man of Busan as they walked past the front row of stores.

Not to be outdone, Sulli replied cheekily," Thank you, Sir, but it looks like I will wither soon under the sweltering.

"Maybe you should bring the fan."

"I do not have a matching fan with this shirt.  Probably it will not to be long before the rain and the atmosphere will cool off. "

"Are we just going to talk about the weather?"

"We do not need to discuss anything.  I'll say goodbye here." They are in the city center, at the intersection, waiting for one of the few traffic lights in the city changed.

"Oh great, I intend to go in the same direction, "said Minho relaxed. He holding her elbow to helped her step down from uneven pavement holes, which, while wearing high heels, can be very dangerous. "Have you recovered from our kiss last night?"  Sulli still directing her gaze to the street, do not say anything.  "What is the topic should not be discussed as well?"  Minho asked. 

"Ne" 

"Alright, could I buy you a cup of coffee?" 

"Ani-yo, gomawo." 

"Soju?"

"Ani, I–"

"Aish cincha, come on."  Once again holding her elbow and because she would not make a fuss that it is definitely going to be a spectacle of pedestrians, Sulli had no choice but to take part when the man walked through the door pulling the store which selling soju.

Entered the store feels like a return to the past.  The same fan spinning in the ceiling even though the store is already installed AC few years ago.  Its wooden floor still squeaks in the same places and pleasant lemon-scented oil, which they use to scrub the floor.  The shelves filled with objects that can’t be purchased at the other place, unique pottery, rare perfumes, and Tangee nail polish.  Sulli and her friends used to spend hours and "shopping" in the store to spend their money work as a waitress in cafe. 

The soda’s fountain at behind also still look the same.  was salivating while waiting for her soju that have been ordered by Minho. 

"Drink here or take away?" asked the shop assistant that . 

"Drink here." 

"Take away." 

They replied concurrently.  Minho took off his sunglasses and looked down at Sulli.  "If you take it out, it will reduce the delicious taste. We will drink it here." 

Sulli sitting in a high chair that appointment by Minho and took off her glasses.  "You're so bossy to people, right lawyer?" 

"I like to be a decision maker, yeah."

 "Oh God, keep me from male domination."

 The shop assistant who put two cups of ice in front of them and re-reading his magazines.  After a sip of his drink, Minho asked, "I think I caught a glance of the bitter tone in your pray?"

"More than just glance.”

Minho was spinning in the high chair to face Sulli.  "What makes you so upset in men?"

"In general or specific?" Sulli asked sweetly. 

"We start with the general first." 

"Most men want to make women remain their place."

 "Hmm, I might argue that, at least until we ascertain exactly what the place is. Now the specific reason." 

"In particular," Sulli said, speaking slowly, "my loan petition for businesses in the Bank will be considered according to different standards with the standards that will be used if I wear long pants instead of stocking." 

Minho looked down at her legs, but, aware of her mood, refrained from commenting.  "They refused you, oh?"

 "Not yet, but almost certainly."

Her memory is back to the time when she was sitting in front of a bank officer who is none other than a person who has been known since long before she settled in Busan. 

 

Flash back. 

 

Sulli crossing her legs, she pull up her straight skirt shyly and covering her knee when she realized that the impatient movement has attracted attention a man behind the counter. 

"The financial report that as complete as I can make, Mr. Park. I've included some reference credit, income tax records during the last three years, my projections on future earnings." 

"You are very careful, Miss Choi."

 It just did not give a clue to Sulli about what that man think about the bank clerk columns of numbers that have been observed by him at least twelve times since Sulli arrived fifteen minutes before.  From behind his glasses, he scans the pages again.  Then he ruled out financial statements have been prepared it carefully, folded his arms on the table, looked her as if he intended to convey the sad news that Santa Claus is not actually real.  Expression was superior, sorry, and sympathetic.  Sulli bracing her self to get high expectations blasted into the rocks of gender discrimination. 

"The numbers that have you put were very impressive, Miss Choi."

"But realistically, I think."  Sulli smiled, trying to keep her anxiety is not visible.  Bank is not lending money to people who need them. 

"While I admire your enthusiasm in your work, I think you are a bit too optimistic."

"Instead, I’m carefully in my projections."

"But," said Mr. Park, cleared his throat with a vital force, "it's still just a projection."

"The projections are based on the experience."  Sulli took a risk to argue, refuse to accept rejection without showing fierce resistance, "I know how much it is willing excluded by women, or men for that matter, for things like this my prospective clients are among those on high incomes. "

"But you do not have a current client," said Mr. Park objectively.

"That's why I need a business loan, Mr. Park.  To promoted my new business.  I have a client, the people who are willing to work only with me in my work day.  They will not entrust themselves to anyone else.  Once they knew I was developing my own business, they will automatically come to me. "

Mr. Park looked skeptical, but do not deny." I will consider your application and will talk with other loan officers.  Come back a week from now and I'll tell you the result. "

"I can’t.  I will go on Sunday morning.  I need to get you a decision this Friday. "

Mr. Park reconsidered for a moment. "Let me see what I can do, but I can’t promise anything." He stood up, showed that his time to Sulli is up.  When Sulli shook her hand, she was happy to realize that Mr. Park's hand as sweat as her own hand.  Mr. Park may refuse the application, but at least she had made that man was impressed.

 

Flash back end.

 

"Why do you need a loan?" 

Sulli looked at Minho, think about is there any advantages to be taken of him. Nothing, maybe that's why she was tempted to tell all her plans on him. Maybe she could pluck the novelty of the opinion of someone who can see this issue from the point of view of a truly objective, someone who does not have a prejudice against her or her work. 

"I want to start my own business, in addition to being a designer," said Sulli shortly. 

"What kind of business?" Minho had finished his drink and got rid of the glass, concentrating only on Sulli. 

"I design and make costumes. So I wanted to open my own boutique." 

Minho looked a long while at Sulli.  Then, unexpectedly, and raised her anger, he is laughed.  Sulli grabbed her handbag and glasses, then move down from the high chair.  Minho grabbed her arm. 

"Wait. Don't go first. I laughed at Jin Ki, not you." 

"Jin Ki?"

"He told me that if you're a designer. I thought he has lied to me, because I remember your sketch picture of dragonfly, well, it was bad. But it turns out he was telling the truth."

Sulli is back to her seat.  "Well, I know that I was bad when drawing other objects. But if you've seen my design sketches you might be amazed. I made the costume concept itself, and pay someone to sew." 

"I think it looks like you've been your own." 

"No, I'm working on a family company that has been doing business for few years. Their field is very limited. I want to develop it." 

"Why?"  Minho put his elbows on the pink Formica table and chinned in hand, giving the impression that he was really interested. 

"My creativity is hampered. Couples who became my boss were tired. Their ideas are old-fashioned. Lack of their energy looked in their work. Innovative designs that we produced in the last two years was my created.  But I only paid a standard salary. "

"That can tend to diminish your motivation."

"The only thing that diminished my motivation is if I stuck with them.  I have too many ideas that beg to be realized.  When I go, I will get a lot of their disappointed subscription clients, and more clients through word of mouth promotion.  I sure did not take long until I was really established. "

"But now you need the operating expense."

"Yes.  For a thousand and one expenditures required, with regard to starting any business.  Mainly, I had to make some sample costumes.  Hopefully, I can sell the samples later, but for now, the samples will prove my talent on consumers who do not know my ability."

Minho smiled when hearing her vanity, but she was too focused on the subject to realize it. 

"Costume party is very luxurious," said Sulli, "The materials for a dress could reach ten thousand wons.  I could not make the dresses without purpose. "

"Let's see if I understand correctly," said Minho."Are you asking one or more proposals on client.  He/she chose the design that he/she wanted and you made the costume for them."

Sulli thanked to him because very perceptive. "Suppose you're a bank officer.  It seems like I can’t embed it in the head of Mr. Park. "

"Bankers only see the bottom line."

"All I need is a stack of the first orders this year to reap the benefits.  Not much new business can promise that.  And I know in here, "said Sulli, emphasizing a fist over her heart, "that the costumes will be very spectacular design until next year I'll get a lot more orders than it could fulfill by myself."

Minho looked down at Sulli's determined face. "You've convinced me."  Their eyes locked for a moment.  "Ready?" finally he asked, nodding toward the empty glass Sulli. 

"Yes," Sulli murmured, re-focus attention to the present moment.  "Thank you." 

Minho was paying the bill.  "Where the hallway will we take? Toys and books or sanitary pads?"

Sulli, who was very grateful that Minho is defused tensions in unexpectedly appeared among them, wry glances and started walking in the hallway filled with buckets of sand and dolls. 

"I have a question for you," Minho said.  "What does it all with sketching insects that ugly?"

 "I should have known not to believe you really take me seriously."

 "I take you seriously," Minho sounded offended.

 "Maybe, but still, as far as business and women, you're no different than the bankers. When you see a woman, the only thing you see is a pair of –" Sulli hold her tongue uttered the last word, scolded herself for being so careless.

"Oh, I did see it, but even if yours were beautiful, does not mean I can’t look any further than that." 

Sulli do not know if the weather outside is hotter or his comments about her s that makes hot weather.  As soon as she got out the sidewalk, she turned back to her car.  Minho is really annoying, but, admittedly, that man is a good listener. Sulli thanked for him, and then added, "I need to vent my frustation."

"Do not stop hope," said Minho, cupped her chin lightly.  "Mr. Park might surprise you and say yes." 

"It would shock me more than just surprised."

 "If I were a bank, I'll lend you the money." 

"Because you believe my plan will work?"

“Because woman who can muster the courage to leave the church with full of people on her wedding day can do everything her determination."

Her step was faltering. "Hope you can forget it.  But, well, why did you just only need to forget about it?"

Minho stopped walking, pulled Sulli, and turned around to face him. "Ah.  I think I touched a sensitive topic." He observed her blank expression. " Park-ie do not use it as an excuse to refuse you, right? "Sulli chose not to answer it, and keep walking.

"Damn," She heard the lawyer mutter.

 When they are arrived in her car, she unlocked and tried to open the door. Minho's hand outstretched, to prevent it. Sulli turned around, found herself squeezed between the man and the car door. Seen clearly in the smile, Minho tried to appease the anger of Sulli.

"About the insect."

"I told you it was a dragonfly."

"I plead that I'm wrong."

Minho still raised his eyebrows quizzically. 

"I have an idea," Sulli said reluctantly, "about dragonfly. I could imagine a black sequin coat at the whole of the top until the bottom of the skirt which very tight."  Her brow furrowed.  "I just could not find how to make wings. Should be were very wide wings. Transparent, and luminous. The Wings it needs to move to get the right effect and strong enough to stretched away from the body. It must somehow be folded, or removed altogether, after the user enters the room spectacularly. " 

Suddenly realized where she was, Sulli awkwardly looked at Minho.  The man certainly thinks Sulli is more insane than he thought.  Or he's bored because her mind was wandering.  But Minho smile shows how much he is enjoying all of this

"Sounds good to me," Minho said. 

"Thanks." 

"Can I make you interest to have a lunch with me?"

"I do not like to have a lunch." 

"?"

Sulli laughed at the suggestion that presumptuous question. "No, thank you."

 "Swim in the lake during the day?"

 "Are not you on duty?"

 "Well then, swimming in the lake under the moonlight."  Minho moved closer.  "On second I thought, it sounds even better." 

"Swimming at night is definitely going to make you contracted the summer flu."

 "Sulli-ah," Minho growled, "what are you thinking for both of us would make a boiling lake."

His Intensity is made Sulli doubt that he was joking.  Against her will, Sulli could not help but imagine what would happen after a night swim.  Before her imagination to take it further, she hastily said, "Looks like you do not also know what I mean, Mr. Choi... I'm not interested involved in a physical relationship with you. I'm just going to be here for a week."

"That's why deadlines that limit my style."

"For the sake of win your bet with Jin Ki?" Sulli just get the glance smile softly and lazy as the answer.

"Think of these your thy good deeds this week. Help me. "

"Just invite the maniac to lunch with you."

Minho laugh heard her cute joke. "I guarantee that you are going to have fun. I want to win the bet. Don't make it so difficult."

Sulli's face intently observing him, wondering whether the choice of his word has a double meaning, but decided to not discuss it much safer. "Not only make it difficult, Mr. Choi, but I will also make it impossible."

 Minho reached out and traced the row of buttons at the front of her shirt to down. He stabs her lightly stops when his hand stooped about five centimeters below her belly button. "Nothing is impossible."

Open the car door. So Sulli sit in, he is close the door. Then, while throwing the smile I-will-makes-you-, he turned around, and walked leisurely down the sidewalk.