Chapter 9

Choi Sulli's Return

The old house like to sinking and making creaking sounds, right? 

That's right. 

Branches will hit the roof when the wind blows, right? 

That's right. 

So no needed to panic, right? 

Well, that's wrong.  Because the voices was coming from the direction of the warehouse behind the house where her father usually cleaned the fish.  The sound was not likely caused by wood foundations sunk into the ground or wind. 

Her heart was pounding loudly so she wondered if she was just imagining all of this.  But when she heard the voices again, like something or someone stepping bushes behind the warehouse, she begins a cold sweat of fear. 

Fortunately she realized that she had turned off the kitchen light.  She crept to the window above the sink, which gave the land back to the landscape as far as the dock and lake far away.  Her hands were shaking when the curtain make a gap of no more than 2.5 centimeters, enough to peek out.

There's nothing.  The night was dark. Just seem a half moon, and the clouds blocked.  The wind started blowing hard.  The lake was more noisy than this afternoon.  It looks as if the clouds in the sky will lead to a summer storm.

Sulli stood motionless at the window for a few minutes.  There's nothing out there that are moving, unless the trees are bowing gracefully in the wind.  What she have heard just the branches the wind blow.  She closed the curtains again. 

Shaking her head, amused and annoyed with herself because it was being ridiculous, Sulli turned and headed out of the kitchen for the second time.  Again, she had arriving doorway when she heard another voice.  This time the sounds from clashing metal.  Her father put the buckets, gardening tools, and woodworking tools in the shed.

"Oh God." Whimpers of fear, smothered with her fingers.

Tae Min and Soo Jung had expressed their concerns about Sulli who lived alone in the lake.

"There was never a serious crime happens there," Tae Min told her, "but the young men who have a beer party, drunk, can make a fuss."

"Are you sure doesn’t want to stay in the city with me?" asked Soo Jung.

"Do not be silly. You will be has a frenzy along a week.  I will be safer alone in the lake."

Now Sulli regret her decision.  If she was not so stubborn, she would curl up safe in the guest bedroom Soo Jung's house instead cowered in a secluded cabin. 

Consequence being brave is too horrible to imagine.  She hit number that she's already memorized before the phone finally connected to Soo Jung.  "Come on, pick up the phone."  When it was clear there was no one there, Sulli hung up, almost in tears.  What if the guy's out there, watching her through the window? 

She nearly fainted when remembering a conversation this afternoon.  "You should be a snooper." "How do you know I'm not a snooper?"

Oh God!  The man was warned about the crazy people wandering around the lake. He is struggling to find where I liveHe is across the lake to see me.  And it is not his last words– "We will meet again, Sulli-ah" –could mean promises and threats?

What do I know about the man?  Nothing, unless for his name.  The man was invited to the wedding, but killers are often a charming man who persuaded his victims–

Stop!  Control yourself.  Think of something useful to do.  Do not panic.

What is the phone number of Lee Jin Ki?  I'll call and ask him about Choi Minho. Remember that his first name as same as her, but it does not make Sulli lost its way.

The bottom drawer of the phone is jammed.  Sulli have tried to open it a few times, and then pulled it tight until the drawer was off and hit the floor.  Busan’s phone book, some pencils that have not been sharpeners yet, her mother patchwork used to match the color of the paint, a coupon for buy-one-catfish-to-eat-dinner-free-one, and rusty nails, all spread out on the linoleum floor.

The mess she made makes Sulli stunned for a moment.  Once realized, she bowing, one of her knees hit the nail heads.  She picked up the phone book.  Without realizing she could not read in the dark, she frantically began to flip through the pages worn and it was bumpy. 

That's when she heard heavy footsteps on the porch.  She clutched the phone book to her chest pounding.  Her eyes widened in fear.  She moaned resigned when the front door knob rattling as if someone tried to open it.

She heaved himself to resting on the table surface.  Her body is screamed. She moves along the wall, edging toward the living room, and saw with horror as the door knob turned to one side, then to the other side.

Sulli jumped when she heard a knock at the door.  She did not expecting that a killer will knocked the door.  She waited, but there was a knock, followed by another knock, more and more impatient, loud, and dramatic like a pounding heart. 

It's unusual for a killer or snooper to notify their arrival.  But who else is coming if not them?  She hurried to the door, pulled the latch key, and opened the door panting.

Choi Minho is standing in the doorway. 

She’s screaming.

Rotating her body, she ran across the living room again, determined to go to her bedroom, which has a lock on the door. 

The steps stopped suddenly when Minho grabbed her nightgown.  "What's wrong with you?"  He pulled Sulli and hugged her tightly.  "Gwenchana, what happened?"

"I was so scared to be alone here, so I intend to call Soo Jung but she did not answer my phone calls. Thought only she is the only my savior." 

"Really?"

"Yes. Maybe then she knows that I called her, worried about me and immediately came here."

"Your savior is already here."  His lip twitched with the desire to smile. Then his mimicked looked of surprise shown Sulli with gawk.

"You–"

"I'm a lawyer. Pleased to meet you, Sulli-shi," Minho said formally.  "How can I help you? Although I am not a cop, but a lawyer is not an easy thing. Sometimes we become the target of an enemy threat to our clients. Then we are also trained in self-defense in case if our lives are threatened at any time." 

"Go straight to the hell!"

Sulli keep away from him, her rage boiling Minho look of amusement, which she taught with less overtly indicated the man.  Sulli actually as upset with herself as to that man. She, who lives alone in Seoul few years, letting her imagination developed so far to act like a fool.  The man is certainly considered it stupid.  

With a sweep of her rough hand, Sulli parting hair tousled back.  "How do I know you really a lawyer?" 

With a tone of voice dragged the same as he winked, Minho said, "Want to see my ID card? Oh, I even had a gun, want to see it?" 

Sulli with angry squinting understand the double meaning behind the phrase. "Why did you not tell me?" 

"Did you ever ask?" 

"I had to ask when we danced at the party that night. What are you doing sneaking around my house in the middle of the night?" 

"I hear your heart beating away because you are scared."

"I was really scared!" 

"Are you always scaring this?"

 "Of course I’m not. What are you doing in the warehouse?"

"What warehouse?"

"You mean that was not you?" 

"You mean the fishy sound is really exists?" 

"Otherwise I would not be scared!" Sulli cried. 

Minho hooking his thumbs under his belt skinny jeans and cocked his head to one side.  "I thought you were creating this 'snooper' just to tempt me here." 

"You are arrogant bastard."  Anger flared like flames in her eyes.  "I heard something from warehouse out there," she said, pointing toward the kitchen. 

Wrinkles and worry that in a sincere form between his eyebrows.  "Then I'd better check. Just wait here." 

Sulli violated the order and follow him to the kitchen, with tiptoe steps.  She watched Minho opened the back door, unlock the screen door and stepped outside. The moonlight is bright enough to create his high silhouette when he across the yard.  Minho carried a flashlight and turned it on, pointing to the dense forest that surrounds the cabin. When her father bought this place, he just opened up a bit of land, enough to build this cabin.  They intentionally did not touch the forest as much as possible.

 From behind the screen door, Sulli noticed Minho disappeared around the far side of the warehouse.  She could see the curvature of the flashlight beam on the dock and through the trees.  Seemed like forever when he comeback toward the kitchen.  He turned off his flashlight before returning to the kitchen. 

Sulli stood aside, holding the screen door for Minho.  "So?"

"You are be unexpectedly visited by intruders." 

"The intruders– more than one?"

"Four," Minho replied seriously. 

Sulli's face paled.  "Four." 

"Yap, mother raccoon and the three babies." 

Sulli opened to speak, decide that whatever she said would only make her look more ridiculous, she quickly closed again. Her teeth is gritted  in the sudden silence. 

"They rummaged through the leftovers of the food in the back row of the bucket," Minho told her. Sulli keep her head down and the only thing that she could feel that damn brown eyes staring at her head sharply. Imagine him laughing really unbearable. 

Sulli suddenly looked up.  "This is your fault," she said aloud.  "All this talk about the crazy and snooper." 

"You are carrying about a snooper, not me."  Minho casually put his flashlight on the kitchen table.  "Do you have coffee?" 

"No, I don't." 

Sulli could see his grin in the dark.  "Even for a legal officer who has saved you from the brutal raccoon family?"

Sulli hips.  "You're enjoying this, isn't it?"

Minho established a chair who was hit by Sulli to sit on it, more upright than relaxed.  He grinned at Sulli.  "Well, you have to admit that the scenery is absolutely stunning."

When Sulli realized she was only wearing a skimpy nightgown and how to make the establishment of a translucent material that clung in her , she immediately dropped arms to her sides.  She turned and strode out of the kitchen. 

Items from drawers that fell scattering under her path.  Sulli break pencils under her feet, while the other her heel pierced nail heads.  Cursed with such an uneducated woman, she limped out of the kitchen. 

A few minutes later she returned wearing a sleeveless T-shirt and shorts.  She the kitchen light and Minho was cooking a pot of coffee on the gas stove. 

"Make yourself at home."

 Ignoring the sarcasm, Minho replied, "Thanks, I just did."

Sulli walked to the closet and bring down two cups and saucer. "Cream and sugar?"

"No thanks. Had biscuits?" 

Sulli rolled her eyes upward and remove the biscuit pack from the kitchen cabinet, she kept for supplies for a week stay here.  "You know," He is mumbled in between bites of chocolate-covered frozen biscuits, "I prefer your clothes before." 

"Definitely." 

"Although have any possibilities more clearly."  For the word ‘clear’, Minho's eyes slid down to her .  It was clear she was not wearing a bra under a soft knit material that wrapped her body tightly.  The longer Minho looked at him, it is increasingly clear. 

Sulli tried to cover up the shame with cynical questions.  "Do your clients know that their lawyer is a demon ?"

Minho chuckled.  "I was on duty." 

"Somehow, it still does not make me calm."

 "Well, you should be calm down. If I'm not on duty, I would have to 'sleep' with you." 

"That's impossible, Mr. Choi." 

His grin exudes confidence.  "It's ready."  He grinned wickedly when he saw Sulli jump. "The coffee, Sulli-ah. The coffee is ready. 

Sulli pouring the coffee, trying not to think about Minho was watching her thighs from behind, which she believes is that man being done.  "How long have you become a lawyer?" she asked, putting a full cup of coffee in front of Minho. 

"Since, I’m moving here. I moved here was to fill the vacancy."

"And previously?" Sulli sat across him and slurped her coffee.  For the first time since that night when he invited her to dance, his eyes stopped smiling.  In fact, his eyes turned harsh and cold.  Length of vertical curves on both sides of his mouth no longer looks like the laugh lines.  "Before that I was in another place."

"Oh."  Sulli understand.  His past is not to be discussing.  It made her jealous.  She hopes that her past is also not to be discussed.  In Seoul she was safe.  No one knew about the calamity and Kim Woo Bin.  Her friends there that knew she was moved there from a small-town, but no one ever forced her to talk about herself. Sulli appreciate it.  That's why she respected his need for privacy at this time, although Minho is the most annoying man she had ever met.  Sulli refrain for digging his past and fill the void that bore situation with chewing biscuits. 

Minho was the first to speak.  "Did you have an accident?"

Sulli followed his chin nod to the floor, there are still scattered debris drawer.  Sulli snickered to herself.  "I intend to find a Lee Jin Ki's phone number and find out about you."

"He would tell you about the good things gladly. He works for me." 

"Jin Ki is law enforcement?" 

"My vice."

Sulli shook her head in disbelief.  "I remember when he stole a watermelon."

"I think he still likes to steal watermelons."

They laughed together, and it felt good. It’s too fun for Sulli to feel completely comfortable.  When their laughter subsided, she realized how intimate these circumstances.  "It's already night."  She grabbed a cup of coffee from his hands and the cup herself to the sink.

"Why are you limping?"

"It's okay," said Sulli, shrugged indifferently when put the wrapped biscuit into the cabinet.

"Definitely not."

Sulli took her foot off the floor, straightening her legs as wide as thirty degrees.  "My knees hit the nail heads as I lay in with both feet and hands. See?"  She showed a small red mark on her knee.  "I'm fine." 

"That will not make you limping."

"My toes are also hit nail heads." 

"What else?" 

"Nothing," said Sulli. 

"What?"  Although Minho pronounced it with a soft question, strong determination to ferret out the truth of Sulli was evident. 

"I stepped on that nail !" Sulli cried frustrating.  "Okay?"

"Not okay. Sit down."  Minho emphatically pointed to the chair that had been left behind Sulli. 

"Times for you to go, lawyer." 

"If you do not let me examine your feet, I would feel it is my obligation as law enforcement to take you to the hospital. Way the entire story about raccoons and snooper it would be the topic of gossip at the beauty salon tomorrow and–"

Sulli flopped hardly to the seat. 

"That's better," Minho said, and then smiled.  "Lift your feet here." 

Sulli is not really stretched her legs to be checked by Minho.  The man bent down and grabbed her feet from the floor, making her lose balance until her buttocks slid nearly fell off her chair.  Sulli hold her body with her arms and hands, with rigid gripping edge of a chair, as he noticed Minho great tanned hands and wrapped her legs.

Minho turned her feet and checked her. "Here?"  He touched the crescent-shaped wound on her heel. She is winced.  "Is it hurt?"

"If you press it like that, yes." 

"Great bruises. You're lucky the nail did not break your skin. Almost, but not yet. You do not need an anti-tetanus injection, but you may need to be careful during the next few days." 

"I'll do it. Thanks."  Sulli tried to pull her feet, but failed.  Minho clenched hands around her leg, holding it firmly and comfortably in the palm of his hand. 

"Is this your official duties, lawyer Choi?" 

"My job is to assist and help the Busan's citizens. Nowadays, I think these people need a foot massage." 

Sulli squirming in her seat when his thumb swiping a burned line in the middle of the soles of her feet.  That touching it feels weird and makes she tingle, tickle down to the nape.