Chapter Twenty Nine

Home Is Just Another Word For You

Note: A makjang is a drama with ridiculous and/or over-used storylines and twists in a bid to keep viewers.

 

~*~

 

 

“So you see,” Nam Soon said with a note of finality, waving a pen about, Young Woo’s eyes following it like a pendulum, “that is why you should never feed a pigeon hot sauce.”

 

 

The younger boy nodded seriously, pushing his glasses higher up his face, mouth slightly open in wonder as Nam Soon grinned down at him from where he was perched on a chair. Nam Soon soaked up the younger’s wonder with a feeling of accomplishment, pleased at the rapt attention he received from the boy who was looking like he thought Nam Soon had the answers to everything.

 

 

“What are you babbling on with?” A reproachful voice asked, and Nam Soon glanced over his shoulder to Ha Kyung, who snatched the pen out of his hand and sat it down on a random table. Not that Nam Soon really cared as it wasn’t his pen anyway; he’d nicked it off Eun Hye. Though he did huff a little, knowing his fun was now over. Reluctantly, he climbed down from the chair and simply sat on it instead, leaning forwards to rest his arms on Young Woo’s desk.

 

 

“Hot sauce and p-pigeons,” Young Woo answered dutifully, not quite meeting Ha Kyung’s eyes. Young Woo would look Nam Soon in the eyes; something Nam Soon was rather proud of. He would have given Ha Kyung a smug look, if only she’d bother paying him even the slightest bit of attention.

 

 

“Nam Soon hyung says th-that he fed a pigeon hot sauce and it ex-exploded on Heung Soo’s head,” Young Woo finished, and Nam Soon tried to hold back a snort of amusement. He failed.

 

 

Nam Soon snickered as Ha Kyung rolled her eyes. “He’s lying. Pigeons don’t explode, no matter how much hot sauce they’ve eaten.”

 

 

“Don’t listen to her,” Nam Soon said, leaning in to Young Woo like he was revealing a secret, though he didn’t lower his voice. “She’s just never seen it happen.”

 

 

Just then, Heung Soo entered the classroom and Nam Soon perked up, waving madly at him to gain his attention from across the room. “Heung Soo-ya! Tell Ha Kyung all about that exploding pigeon!”

 

 

“Took forever to get all those guts out of my hair,” Heung Soo replied easily, slipping into his seat without missing a beat, like exploding birds were a normal part of social interaction.

 

 

Nam Soon sniggered behind his hand as Ha Kyung rolled her eyes even harder with an irritated huff to match, while Young Woo’s eyes became impossibly wide. “Idiots,” she muttered, and strode off to her own seat.

 

 

“Did that really happen?” Young Woo asked, looking like a little kid who’s just found his new puppy dead. “I f-feel sorry for the bird. I like birds.”

 

 

If Nam Soon said he was telling the truth, he knew Young Woo was innocent enough to believe him, and tricking the younger boy would make him all kinds of guilty, so he ruffled his hair and said, “Aigoo, of course hyung’s joking.”

 

 

“R-Really,” Young Woo asked, looking up at him hopefully. “Hot sauce doesn’t k-kill birds?”

 

 

“Nah,” Nam Soon smiled. “You should listen to Ha Kyung – she knows everything.” Realising what he’d just admitted, he added on a quick, “but don’t tell her I said that.”

 

 

Young Woo nodded dutifully, so Nam Soon ruffled his hair again, unable to resist. “You’re my favourite dongsaeng,” he all but cooed, vaguely wondering when he went from scary iljjang to mushy teen.

 

 

The younger boy beamed, all heart and smiles, and with a pat on the shoulder Nam Soon left him and headed over to Heung Soo, dropping into his seat beside him. “Hey, how’d yesterday go?”

 

 

“Fine,” Heung Soo shrugged, and Nam Soon would like a bit of an elaboration on that, but none seemed forthcoming. “What did you get up too?”

 

 

“Err,” Nam Soon looked away, shifty eyed and guilty, but when he saw Heung Soo narrow his eyes in suspicion, he gave him a smile reminiscent of Young Woo’s. “Oh, you know; read some comics, ate some ramen, didn’t at all see Jung Ho, possibly killed the TV; nothing special.”

 

 

“’Didn’t see Jung Ho’,” Heung Soo repeated, and Nam Soon cursed himself because how much more obvious could he get? Heung Soo gave him a flat look, and Nam Soon knew he was busted. “You went back to that place, didn’t you?”

 

 

Nam Soon scratched the back of his head guiltily. “… Yes.”

 

 

“After you promised me, right to my face, that you wouldn’t?” Heung Soo continued, and Nam Soon kind of felt like a little kid being scolded by his parent.

 

 

He would rather be looking anywhere else right now, but he bucked up and met Heung Soo’s eyes because he’s a man, damn it, not some coward. Well, maybe a little bit cowardly he reckoned when Heung Soo expression didn’t change. “… Yes.”

 

 

Heung Soo’s lips pursed, and he looked like he may be planning out Nam Soon’s very painful demise (he’d probably hand him over to his sister, and if your name was Go Nam Soon then there could be no worse fate), and really, Nam Soon would congratulate himself on how manly he’s being in dealing with that look, but to be honest he was too busy mentally writing a last will and testament for that. He could practically already see Soo Min’s face in front of his eyes.

 

 

With that disturbing thought, he looked up at Heung Soo through his lashes, trying to pull off cute and innocent.

 

 

“Sorry?” He tried, but Heung Soo’s scowl just deepened.

 

 

“ you, Go Nam Soon.” And then Heung Soo turned to face the front, steadfast in ignoring him.

 

 

Nam Soon blinked, and tried to get his attention for the next few minutes; calling his name, throwing bits of paper at him and whining at him, but when Heung Soo refused to so much as acknowledge his existence he gave up and put his head down. Fine, he’d just give Heung Soo a while to stew, then he’d get over it and it would all be fine. Of course it would be fine, they always ended up fine; even after three years and ruined dreams.

 

 

Nam Soon sighed, cushioning his head on his arms and feeling like the world’s biggest bastard. Why’d he have to go and break his promise?

 

 

The classroom door opened, and Nam Soon looked over dully, but quickly became more alert when his eyes landed on Yi Kyung and Ji Hoon. The latter seemed far more composed today than he did yesterday, and Nam Soon was glad to see him back in school. Yi Kyung also looked more relaxed now that his friend was back with him.

 

 

They both glanced over to him and Heung Soo but didn’t speak, just took their seats and Nam Soon watched them. Out the corner of his eye, he saw Heung Soo following their movements too.

 

 

He wondered if Heung Soo would still want to go look for Jung Ho with him later. He was guessing on yes, because although Heung Soo could hold a grudge, he wasn’t petty. (Yeah, okay, there was that time he’d told Nam Soon to throw away what was most important to him, but that didn’t exactly last – plus Nam Soon had rather deserved that.) He wouldn’t not help Ji Hoon and Yi Kyung just because he was mad at Nam Soon.

 

 

With that thought he moved his gaze to Heung Soo, and seemingly sensing it Heung Soo looked away from their two classmates and met Nam Soon’s eyes. He gave a minute nod of his head, and then looked away again, just as the teacher entered and began homeroom. Reassured, Nam Soon settled back into his seat for a nap. Everything would be better by lunchtime.

 

 

By the time lunch did roll around Heung Soo had cooled off a little and was sat next to Nam Soon as they ate, but he refused to let Nam Soon steal any of his food and would only give short, clipped answers when Nam Soon spoke to him.

 

 

Halfway through lunch, Nam Soon groaned loudly and slumped in his seat, whining out a drawn out, utterly pathetic, “Heung Soo-ya.” He poked him in the arm with a chopstick, trying to make Heung Soo look at him. “I’m sorry, okay? I shouldn’t have broken my promise. But, well, I’m me. I’m not good at letting things go.”

 

 

“You’re an idiot,” Heung Soo huffed into his rice, and Nam Soon nodded eagerly, enthusiastically agreeing.

 

 

“And a ,” Heung Soo added, and Nam Soon just kept on nodding, a smile growing because Heung Soo was using his fond voice. That was the exasperated Nam-Soon-is-an-idiot-but-for-some-unfathomable-reason-I-love-him-anyway voice. Nam Soon knew that voice – he’d certainly heard it enough times.

 

 

Heung Soo turned to face him, and Nam Soon's face was about ready to split when Heung Soo poked him hard in the chest. “You could have gotten hurt, you brainless bastard. If those guys had caught you sneaking about, what did you think they were gonna do? Offer you a tour?”

 

 

Nam Soon slung an arm around him, leaning in closer than he probably should in such a public setting, his lips just millimetres from Heung Soo’s cheek. “I know, I’m sorry.”

 

 

He realised now that Heung Soo was more mad at the thought of Nam Soon being hurt and him nowhere around to help rather than mad at him for not doing as he’d said. Nam Soon didn’t mind him being mad too much, however. They’d be back to normal by the time school was over, of that he was sure.

 

 

“I didn’t mean to worry you.”

 

 

“Bastard,” Heung Soo scowled with no real heat, pushing him away from his face and back into his seat. “Shut up and eat.”

 

 

So Nam Soon shut up and ate, deciding not to push his luck any further by draping himself over his still mildly irritated boyfriend (though mildly irritated tended to be Heung Soo’s normal default mood when Nam Soon wasn’t around to distract him with dirty thoughts).

 

 

Nam Soon was much happier after that, and by the time school ended he and Heung Soo were heading off to the warehouses again in search of their wayward ex-classmate.

 

 

“Just so you know,” Heung Soo said, looking up at the rundown building in front of them a while later, back amongst the warehouses. “I’m still not happy you came here alone.”

 

 

Nam Soon stared at the ugly building too, but gave a small nod. Sure it was dumb, but Nam Soon is dumb so really, what does Heung Soo expect?

 

 

“Come on,” he said, heading closer to the building, Heung Soo trailing behind.

 

 

“The place is empty,” Heung Soo sighed, looking in through a pane of dirty glass.

 

 

Nam Soon thought about yesterday; the fire escape and the broken window. “Wanna go in, see what we can find?” He asked, turning to look at his boyfriend.

 

 

With Heung Soo’s leg he wouldn’t want him climbing his way in (though he was positive Heung Soo would protest at that – he hated it when Nam Soon saw him as less capable than he once was due to his injury), but Nam Soon could get in, make his way down to the ground floor and open the door for Heung Soo.

 

 

Heung Soo looked over the warehouse, deliberating. It certainly wouldn’t be the most idiotic thing they’d ever done, and they always come out mostly okay in those situations.

 

 

After a few moment of thought, Heung Soo nodded, “Yeah, okay.”

 

 

“Alright, there’s a broken widow over to the side, I could climb up and-”

 

 

But Nam Soon was cut off from explaining his plan when Heung Soo just picked up a brick and lobbed it threw the window he’d been staring into.

 

 

Nam Soon blinked. “Or we could just do that. That works too.”

 

 

Heung Soo laughed a little, then placed two hands on the window frame and jumped through, his trainers loud as they crunched into the glass. Nam Soon followed quickly, hoping that there was nobody around to hear the noise.

 

 

It was pretty dark inside because even though the windows were large, they were covered in dirt and dust, and the warehouse was situated amongst many buildings. As a result, not a whole lot of sunlight found its way inside.

 

 

“Look for a light switch,” Heung Soo said, already heading over near to the door.

 

 

They searched the walls around the door, and Nam Soon was the one to find it. He flipped the switch, and they both turned to give the room a proper look now that they could see everything clearly. There really wasn’t much to it, at least at first glance. It was mostly bare, with a few chairs dotted about, cigarette butts littering the floor, and what looked to be a storage unit full of a lot of old junk from back when the warehouses were in good working order.

 

 

After a thorough look around turned up nothing, they gave up and headed for another room. They quickly notice that one of the doors along the corridor was open a by a few inches, and it looked cleaner than the others. The metal door handle had no dust on it, and the floor around it was stone grey rather than dust grey. Together, they entered the room and immediately knew they’d picked the right one. This one was defiantly used often. There were empty beer cans left on a newish looking table, as well as two ashtrays and a packet of empty cigarettes. It looked recently used. What really grabbed their attention however, was sat at one lone, inconspicuous corner of the table; a handgun.

 

 

They both just looked at it for a long while, neither having actually seen a gun in real life before. Guns were rare in South Korea, even amongst criminals, and Nam Soon was suddenly very worried about what the these people were up to.

 

 

“Do you think it’s loaded?” Heung Soo asked, stepping closer to peer down at it, but he didn’t touch it.

 

 

“I dunno,” Nam Soon said, joining him to get a better look as well. “But I don’t think they’d go to the trouble of getting a gun and not have it loaded.”

 

 

Heung Soo hummed, and gave the room a weary once over, looking into the concers and across a few storage units. “Think there are any more?”

 

 

“Maybe,” Nam Soon shrugged. It would make sense, right? If they had one gun smuggled into the country, then there were probably more. After all, what type of smuggler would bring in just one item at a time? “Why do you think they left it here?” He asked, looking from the gun to his boyfriend.

 

 

Heung Soo froze, a look of worry clouding his face, and Nam Soon looked at him wearily.

 

 

“Because they won’t be gone long,” he said, and Nam Soon’s stomach dropped. .

 

 

“We should get out of here,” he said, and made for the door. But he paused when Heung Soo didn’t immediately follow and looked back. Heung Soo was looking at the gun again.

 

 

He looked back to Nam Soon unsurely. “Should we… take it?”

 

 

Nam Soon blinked in surprise, looking to the handgun. “And do what with it? You realise just having it would land you 10 years, yeah?”

 

 

“I don’t know what we’d do with it,” Heung Soo said. “Throw it away? I just don’t practically like the idea of leaving it with gangsters.”

 

 

Nam Soon didn’t know what to do. Heung Soo made a good point, but as soon as those guys came back they’d notice it gone and then what? What if they figured out who’d stolen it? They’d already smashed in a window, so they wouldn’t assume someone had just misplaced it. They’d know it had been stolen.

 

 

Nam Soon didn’t know what to do with the gun, but what was clear right now was that they shouldn’t hang around. This whole thing suddenly seemed a lot more serious than it did even just five minutes ago. Making a split second decision, Nam Soon reached for Heung Soo and pulled him away. “Leave it.”

 

 

If they had ways of getting guns, then Nam Soon didn’t want to directly entice them by stealing one. They shouldn’t get involved in this any more than they had. They just needed to get Jung Ho out and keep the out of this.

 

 

Tangling his hand with Heung Soo’s, he gave him an urgent tug. “Come on.”

 

 

They made their way back out the broken window and headed down the path to the street, wanting to put some distance between themselves and the illegal firearm.

 

 

“What does Oh Jung Ho think he’s doing mixing with people like that,” Heung Soo frowned as they left the path and headed down the side street, back towards the main road.

 

 

They’d both relaxed now they were out in the open. On the city street with other people milling about, it somehow seemed less real.

 

 

“I doubt he’s thinking much at all,” Nam Soon sighed, mind still on the gun just sat there, waiting to be shot – but shot at who? It was probably because of these thoughts that he didn’t even notice when he accidently knocked into someone just as he and Heung Soo rounded a corner. He continued passed, about to mutter an absentminded apology when he stopped short in surprise.

 

 

“Aish, not you again,” a familiar voice groaned, and the two of them spun around.

 

 

“Jung Ho!” Nam Soon said, surprised. “Yah, were did you just appear from?” He looked around, guessing the younger boy must have exited one of the nearby buildings.

 

 

“None of your ing business,” Jung Ho replied calmly. “I take it you’ve come to talk to me again. Wasn’t yesterday enough?” Nam Soon pointedly didn’t look at Heung Soo here, knowing the look he’d be met with if he did. Jung Ho continued on, taking no notice. “And this time you’ve brought Ernie, just freaking great.”

 

 

“Ernie?” Nam Soon asked, wrinkling his nose in distaste, momentarily distracted from everything else. “What?”

 

 

Jung Ho rolled his eyes, and pointed between them. “Burt and Ernie; that’s what the guys have been calling you.” He paused, “Well, when they aren’t calling you .”

 

 

“Hardly original,” Heung Soo muttered loud enough for them both to hear.

 

 

Ignoring that little bit of info, Nam Soon instead zeroed in on something else Jung Ho had said. “’The guys’? So they’re ‘the guys’ now, are they? You getting buddy-buddy with your new gangster bffs, huh?”

 

 

Jung Ho scoffed and turned away, seemingly intent of walking off, but the two didn’t let him get far. In a few strides they overtook him and blocked his path.

 

 

“Not so fast,” Nam Soon said. “Tell us what you’re doing.” His mind was still on that gun, and he didn’t want to imagine Jung Ho having anything to do with it, but what if he did?

 

 

“No,” Jung Ho said through gritted teeth. “Go bother somebody who wants your help, and get out of my way.”

 

 

“Or what?” Heung Soo smirked, crossing his arms over his chest, and Jung Ho sent him a dirty look.

 

 

Another brief image of the gun flitted passed Nam Soon’s mind, and he momentarily tensed. Did Jung Ho know about that? Would he still be with those guys if he did?

 

 

“Or else I’ll make you,” Jung Ho snarled, eyes partly slitted into a harsh glare. “It’s not like I haven’t beaten you before.”

 

 

“Only because I let you,” Heung Soo snorted, and Nam Soon was pretty sure he was purposefully trying to antagonise him. “Try me in a real fight, and I’ll-”

 

 

“Stop it!” Nam Soon said, directed to them both. “Not now.”

 

 

This wasn’t the time for them to be fighting. They needed to convince Jung Ho to come with them, not push him away. He gave the younger boy a determined look, refusing to take no for an answer. “Just tell us what you’re doing.”

 

 

Jung Ho crossed his arms defiantly, jaw clenched tight. “No.”

 

 

“Yah, Oh Jung Ho, I’m not playing about!” Nam Soon snapped. Today’s little adventure had frazzled his nerves, the gun had thrown him off centre, and he didn’t feel as sure of himself anymore. He hated that feeling. “And neither are those guys you’re working for. You need to get out now before you’re in too deep.”

 

 

“You really don’t get it, do you?” Jung Ho sighed. “I’m already in too deep, so just keep away.” A look of distress flittered across his face, just for the blink of an eye, but Nam Soon saw it, and he heard the concern in his next words as well, “And keep Ji Hoon and Yi Kyung away, too.”

 

 

“How deep?” Nam Soon asked wearily, already haven promised not to involve Jung Ho’s friends (not that Jung Ho knew that), and Jung Ho glanced away. He twisted his hands anxiously, and Nam Soon looked at them as they curled around each other nervously. It made him notice a bugle in his coat pocket, his eyes zeroing in on it when Jung Ho’s hands swept by it. “Yah, what’s that?” He demanded, and Jung Ho looked up sharply.

 

 

“Nothing,” he said far too quickly, moving a hand to cover the pocket, proving that it was obviously something.

 

 

“Let’s see,” Heung Soo said, and he reached to grab it but Jung Ho jumped out of the way.

 

 

However, he’d unintentionally moved closer to Nam Soon, so he grabbed hold of him and kept him still as Heung Soo rifled through his pocket while Jung Ho struggled in Nam Soon’s grip, tried to kick Heung Soo and shouted obscenities at them. Undeterred, Heung Soo pulled back a moment later, something in his grip and Nam Soon released the younger teen. With a look of shock Heung Soo held it up for Nam Soon to see.

 

 

It was a few bags of white powder. For a long few seconds silence rang out. Not even Jung Ho made the slightest noise as the two took in just what they were seeing. After another good five seconds, Nam Soon got his voice back and he rounded on Jung Ho.

 

 

“Drugs?!” He fumed. “You a ing drug dealer?!” Of all the ing things the moron could be getting up to, he was selling drugs for some gun toting gangsters. “What the Jung Ho?! Are you insane?”

 

 

“It’s got all to do with you,” Jung Ho snapped and made to snatch the bags from Heung Soo, but the taller boy held them up high out of reach. “Give them back!”

 

 

Oh, this was too freaking much in one day. Had Nam Soon’s life suddenly become a damn makjang?

 

 

Taking a breath to keep the stress down, because he’d be the definition of unhelpful if he got pissed off, he reached out and grabbed hold of Jung Ho’s arm in a tight grip. The younger boy tried to throw off his hold, but Nam Soon just gripped tighter, digging his fingers in.

 

 

“We’re going to talk,” he growled out. “Now.”

 

 

Without another word, ignoring the younger’s angry shouts, he began to drag him off down the street; Heung Soo following along behind them, slipping the drugs into his own pocket out of sight.