Chapter Fourteen

Home Is Just Another Word For You

Nam Soon jumped violently, startled from aimlessly doodling on his desk by the sound of a heavy book slamming against a hard surface. He pivoted around in his seat in time to see teacher Uhm wrench Heung Soo’s phone from his hand. Uhm pocketed it and picked the book back up from Heung Soo’s desk to wave it in his face.

 

 

“Do you know what this is?” Uhm questioned, voice dripping irritation as he glared at Heung Soo. “It’s called a book. You open it, read the page and then use it to help complete your worksheet. You can even turn the page and read the next one and continue until you’re done. Do you understand or do you need it spelling out for you?”

 

 

Nam Soon sniggered, watching Uhm Force get worked up was far more fun than his mindless defacing of school property.

 

 

“I dunno, teach,” Heung Soo replied cheekily. “It sounds complicated. I think you’re gonna have to explain it again.”

 

 

Uhm didn’t look very amused at the response. “You said you were here to graduate quietly, so that’s what I expect you to do. Do your work or you will leave school with nothing to your name.”

 

 

He turned to go back to the front of the room, but paused mid step. “And you,” he said, pointing a threatening finger at Nam Soon. “Why is your worksheet also empty? Both of you better have at least half of it complete by the end of the lesson or I’ll keep you here after school to do it.”

 

 

Uhm went back to the front of the room while Nam Soon looked at the clock and groaned. There were only twenty minutes until school ended and while Nam Soon was terrible in all lessons, maths was the worst. He couldn’t even read the equations. All the lines and foreign letters, and little letters next to big letters, and little numbers next to big numbers... it may as well be some ancient, hieroglyphic .

 

 

Frustrated, Nam Soon gave up before he started and went back to doodling on his desk. After finishing his masterpiece of a stickman-Uhm screaming as a giant math textbook tried to eat him he glanced over to Heung Soo to see what the other boy was doing.

 

 

Heung Soo hadn’t opened his book and made no attempt on his worksheet either, instead he leaned over to Nam Soon.

 

 

“What are you doing?”

 

 

Nam Soon leant back and moved his arms, allowing Heung Soo a full view of his desk. “Expressing my creativity,”

 

 

Heung Soo sniggered at the image, leaving Nam Soon feeling rather proud of himself, but Uhm sent them a sharp look so both fell quite.

 

 

Uhm wasn’t the only one, Ha Kyung also sent a dirty look their way. Nam Soon rolled his eyes. He liked Ha Kyung well enough, but she really needed to learn how to relax and take it easy at school.

 

 

Nam Soon shared a grin with Heung Soo, then went back to his doodling; this time Ha Kyung chilled out, feet up on the desk and telling a teacher to get ed (with a little speech bubble and everything). Heung Soo just watched Nam Soon draw, so he made sure not to get his drawing arm in the way too much, happy to entertain him now he’d lost his phone.

 

 

After five minutes he moved on to vandalising his maths book, drawing rude little pictures in the corners until a poke in the shoulder distracted him.

 

 

He turned to Heung Soo, about to ask ‘what’ but before he could, the taller boy a sheet of paper at him. Wondering just what it was, Nam Soon took it and was surprised to see a fully completed worksheet. The one he and Heung Soo were meant to be doing. He stared at it confused. Was this Heung Soo’s? No, it wasn’t his handwriting. His eyes flicked to a top corner to see the name Lee Ji Hoon scrawled there messily. Taken aback slightly, he turned back to look at Heung Soo, who just shrugged and pointed to the other side of him. Ji Hoon was sat there watching and he gave Nam Soon a double thumbs up.

 

 

Nam Soon shot his back a suspicious look. This is the second time Ji Hoon had helped him out, he must want something.

 

 

Still, there was no reason to pass up on the opportunity so Nam Soon copied it onto his own worksheet (well, half of it, just to spite Uhm), being sure to change around half the answers so the cheating wasn’t obvious. He won’t get a good grade from it, but if he did copy it correctly he may as well write ‘cheated’ in big, bold neon letters across the worksheet. Everyone and their dog know how lousy he is at maths.

 

 

But honestly, this knew dedication Ji Hoon had to his studies could be useful. He was far smarter than Nam Soon, or anyone for that matter, had given him credit for.

 

 

Once he was done, he discreetly passed it back to Heung Soo (noticing he too had copied it) who then passed it back to Ji Hoon.

 

 

Just in time too, as just a few minutes later time was up and school was finished.

 

 

Nam Soon left the school issued math book (now improved with little vulgar drawings, courtesy of Go Nam Soon) on his desk and he grabbed his school bag before joining Heung Soo at his desk as everyone filed out, free for the rest of the day.

 

 

“Yah, let’s go.” Nam Soon grinned with a light hit to Heung Soo’s arm.

 

 

“Hang on,” Heung Soo said as he got to his feet, swinging his own bag over a shoulder. “I need to get my phone.”

 

 

Nam Soon nodded, having forgotten Uhm took it and followed Heung Soo to the teacher’s desk.

 

 

“Can I have my phone back?” Heung Soo asked without preamble, tone bored but speech polite.

 

 

“Yes,” Uhm replied and Heung Soo held out his hand for it. However, Uhm just gave him a disapproving look. “At the end of the week.”

 

 

Heung Soo sighed and dropped his hand back to his side. Nam Soon pat him on the shoulder. “Never mind, Heung Soo-ya. You can use mine if you want to make a call.”

 

 

He turned to head for the door, brining a grumbling Heung Soo with him out into the corridor.

 

 

However, before they could take more than three steps away from the classroom their path was stopped by Ji Hoon and Yi Kyung, both of whom seemed a little nervous.

 

 

“What do you want?” Heung Soo snapped impatiently, most likely he had a short temper due to his phone being confiscated (not that he’d win any awards for outstanding patience on a normal day).

 

 

Nam Soon watched curiously as they shared a look, then turned their gazes to Nam Soon, obviously seeing him as their best bet. Unsurprising really, Heung Soo didn’t exactly give off a warm, friendly vibe even at the best of times. (‘So a bit like his patience, then,’ Nam Soon mused to himself)

 

 

“We wanted to ask you for a favour,” Ji Hoon spoke up.

 

 

“Jung Ho?” Nam Soon asked, already guessing the answer. He’d been meaning to bring this subject up anyway, ever since before the school year when Kang Joo told him he wasn’t coming back. However he’d been so distracted by everything happening between Heung Soo and himself that he’d forgotten.

 

 

Ji Hoon and Yi Kyung nodded together.

 

 

“We’ve been round to his place loads of times,” Yi Kyung said. “We’ve been trying to tell him to come back, but he won’t listen to us.”

 

 

“And what makes you think he’d listen to me?” Nam Soon asked. “I’m not even friends with him like you guys are.”

 

 

“But that’s the point,” Ji Hoon spoke up. “You aren’t his friend. He beat you up that one time and told those hyungs you stole the motorbike, but you still helped him. Maybe he’ll listen to you because you aren’t his friend.”

 

 

Yi Kyung nodded. “It can be annoying if friends keep trying to make you do something. But sometimes you’ll listen if it comes from someone else, especially if they’d proved they have your best interests at heart.”

 

 

Nam Soon raised an eyebrow. “I wouldn’t exactly say I’ve got him in my heart.”

 

 

Yi Kyung waved his hand in a dismissive gesture. “You know what I mean. You went out of your way for him when you didn’t have to. You put yourself at risk for him. Not many people have been that kind to him.”

 

 

Nam Soon sighed and glanced to Heung Soo, who’d stayed quite throughout. Heung Soo just shrugged. “Do whatever you want.”

 

 

Ji Hoon and Yi Kyung looked so hopeful, and Nam Soon really wasn’t happy with Jung Ho’s decision after everything that happened last year, so he nodded. “Okay. I’ll go now.”

 

 

Ji Hoon and Yi Kyung beamed, handed him a slip of paper with Jung Ho’s address, then thanked him before hurrying off.

 

 

Nam Soon turned to Heung Soo. “Are you coming?”

 

 

He shook his head. “No. He’d probably feel more comfortable with just you anyway.”

 

 

Nam Soon frowned, but agreed reluctantly.

 

 

“I’ll see you later,” Heung Soo said and brushed past him.

 

 

He seemed upset about something, that cold dismissal wasn’t a tone he’d used with Nam Soon since they made up, and Nam Soon didn’t like it. Impulsively, Nam Soon reached out and grabbed Heung Soo’s shoulder. Before he could give it any thought he boldly pecked Heung Soo lightly on the lips. He immediately stepped back afterwards and met Heung Soo’s surprised face.

 

 

No kissing in a public place, even when empty. That was one of Nam Soon’s rules. Now he’d just gone and broke it, but it seemed the right thing to do. He couldn’t let Heung Soo leave upset with him; nothing could go wrong in this relationship. Nothing. He couldn’t risk losing Heung Soo, he couldn’t risk everything between them. Their relationship seemed to be stronger than ever these past few days, since they became a couple, but Nam Soon knows that this thing they have isn’t guaranteed. They’re sailing a rickety boat over an ocean that could be caught up in a storm at any moment. Nam Soon was still acutely aware that if this relationship failed, their friendship could fail too.

 

 

So, a little kiss in an empty corridor was such a small act compared to what could be. Therefore, it was a rule he didn’t mind breaking too much this time. And, if he were to be honest with himself, kissing Heung Soo in public like that… it was something he was feeling childishly giddy about.

 

 

A smile formed on Heung Soo’s face and Nam Soon’s lips moved to match it. Yeah, it was defiantly fine because Heung Soo’s smiling.

 

 

“See you later,” Nam Soon grinned, and then they parted ways; Heung Soo back to his own house and Nam Soon to Jung Ho’s.

 

 

It was further than he’d fought it would be, the sky was just beginning to darken as he reached Jung Ho’s home; a scruffy place that needed a serious of paint.

 

Eager to get home and see Heung Soo, Nam Soon didn’t hang about, he went straight up to the door and banged on it a few times.

 

 

When no one answered he banged some more and hollered loud enough for the street to hear him. “Oh Jung Ho, get your damn arse out here before I just kick down the door!”

 

 

It wasn’t exactly his smoothest way of calling for someone, but he doubted Jung Ho would respond to a polite request. And it worked, just moments later the door swung open to reveal an angry Oh Jung Ho.

 

 

What the are you doing?” He hissed. “Are you crazy?”

 

 

Nam Soon shrugged his shoulders. “Possibly.”

 

 

That apparently wasn’t the answer the younger boy was looking for, but Nam Soon paid him no mind. He glanced behind Jung Ho, trying to see in to his house but the lights were off and he couldn’t make out anything of note.

 

 

“Is your dad in?” He asked casually, for Jung Ho’s sake rather than his own. He certainly hasn’t forgotten the state Jung Ho was in after his dad put him in hospital, but he knew Jung Ho would hate a pity party.

 

 

Jung Ho shifted, trying to block Nam Soon gaze into his house, but quickly gave up due to the height advantage Nam Soon has and stepped out, firmly shutting the door behind him.

 

 

“Did Yi Kyung and Ji Hoon send you?” He asked, ignoring the question about his dad and Nam Soon let him. After all, it’d be pretty hypocritical to ask for some else to speak about their family given how he kept his family life to himself (well, and Heung Soo, but Heung Soo knew everything about Nam Soon anyway so he didn’t count). “Those backstabbing bastards.”

 

 

“They want to help you,” Nam Soon spoke plainly, voice even. “And they’re right. You can’t just bum around here for the rest of your life.”

 

 

Jung Ho’s jaw clenched. “I don’t need anyone’s help,” he growled. “Not theirs and most definitely not yours, so just do us both a favour and off.”

 

 

“Why?” Nam Soon asked, keeping his causal tone as he rocked lightly to and fro on his feet to keep warm. It was getting chilly as the sun’s last rays tried in vain to stretch out it’s warmth in to the blackening sky. “Do you want to stay here with your abusive dad? For how long? Until he grows bored of you and throws you out onto the streets? Where will you go then?”

 

 

Honestly, Nam Soon should have seen the punch coming, but he didn’t and stumbled back, pain shooting from his right eye to his cheekbone and nose, eyes watering from the impact.

 

 

He kneed Jung Ho in the gut before the younger boy could get in another hit, knocking him to the ground and Nam Soon straddled him, keeping him pinned.

 

 

“Get the off me!” Jung Ho shouted, twisting and hitting out to try to throw him off but Nam Soon refused to budge, keeping him trapped between his body and the ground.

 

 

“No,” Nam Soon replied, a little breathless as he fought to hold Jung Ho’s arms still. “Now quit trying to ing hit me!”

 

 

Jung Ho used another tactic and headbutted Nam Soon. The older boy recoiled, pulling away to his feet. “,” he muttered, the dulling pain back with a vengeance.

 

 

Jung Ho also got to his feet and eyed Nam Soon wearily. “Just leave. I don’t want you here.”

 

 

Nam Soon has had enough of his little y attitude.

 

 

“You think you’re the only one with daddy issues?” He snorted mockingly, and Jung Ho suddenly looked extremely pissed, angry enough to take another swing at him but Nam Soon didn’t care. “I got knocked around plenty of times by my dad, still do occasionally when he’s around and sober enough to swing a fist. So don’t think you’re a special little princess nobody understands.”

 

 

Despite the sardonic bite to his words, Jung Ho relaxed his stance and looked him over, distrust in his eyes. “The great Tsunami? You expect me to believe that?”

 

 

Nam Soon shrugged uncaringly. His face hurt and he was cold. “Believe what you like. It’s true though.”

 

 

There was a brief hesitation as Jung Ho looked him over. “Why didn’t you stop him?”

 

 

“Why did you not stop your dad?” Nam Soon questioned back. Jung Ho didn’t answer, but his eyes went to the dirty ground. He looked upset, really upset. Nam Soon sighed, looking over the younger boys black eye and cut lip that most defiantly wasn’t the result of their little scuffle. His anger left him, it was hard to feel anything but sympathy when Jung Ho looked so crushed, so hopeless. “It’s different when it’s a parent, isn’t it? I’d fight anyone, I did fight anyone; little boys playing at being men, men who would have happily slit my throat. But a parent? That’s something else entirely. Even if they’re knocking the out of you it’s hard to raise a hand, all you can do is try to protect yourself and hope it’ll end soon. There’s nothing more powerful, more terrifying, than a parent.”

 

 

Jung Ho looked to the ground, wetting his lips nervously. “I… I’m scared of him.” He admitted, voice small and as un-Jung Ho like as Nam Soon had ever heard it.

 

 

All he could do was give the younger boy a sad smile. “I know.”

 

 

Jung Ho’s eyes darted to his front door, then to Nam Soon. Defiance was back in them and Nam Soon knew he hadn’t talked him around.

 

 

“I’m going back in.”

 

 

“Jung Ho-ya!” Nam Soon called, stopping the other boy as he opened the door, back to Nam Soon. “Just… just think about it, okay? You have two good, loyal friends who’d do anything for you. And if you ever need help, I’m here. So, just think if this is the life you really want.”

 

 

Jung Ho didn’t reply and Nam Soon stood watching as the younger boy stepped in to the dark house, the door shutting him out of the world. He stayed for a few moments, but there really was no point and the sun was completely gone now. He turned and walked away, back to his own home where he had Heung Soo waiting for him.

 

 

Though he didn’t open the door to the warmest reception; the beginnings of a smile immediately fell from Heung Soo’s lips when he got a full view of Nam Soon after he’d stepped inside and in to the artificial light.

 

 

“What’s that?” Heung Soo asked sharply, roughly taking Nam Soon’s chin in hand and turning his head to the side to get a better look at the purple bruising painting his right eye dark.

 

 

“Nothing, it doesn’t matter,” Nam Soon said, half-heartedly trying to pull away from Heung Soo’s gasp, but there was really no point; he’d already seen it.

 

 

Heung Soo clicked his tongue in annoyance and dropped his hand. Nam Soon looked aside in to the living room, away from Heung Soo’s dark eyes when a hard look pierced him, taking in the details of his injury.

 

 

“You have a complex,” Heung Soo stated, irritation colouring his voice, making it a little lower, a little darker.

 

 

“What do you mean?” Nam Soon asked, unsure if he should be insulted or not. Though going by Heung Soo’s tone he probably should be. “What complex?”

 

 

“Since we met again you’ve been going out of your way to shoulder other people’s problems.”

 

 

Nam Soon frowned at how genuinely pissed off Heung Soo seemed about it. Why would he be mad? It’s not like Nam Soon is doing anything wrong. He’s not doing anything that could land him in serious trouble.

 

 

“So? Why shouldn’t I help people?” He asked defensively. He didn’t like Heung Soo’s tone. He had no right to get mad at him.

 

 

“It’s none of your business!” Heung Soo shouted, patience lost.

 

 

“So what, I should just walk on by when I could help?” Nam Soon snapped back, voice rising to match Heung Soo’s.

 

 

Yes!

 

 

“Don’t you think that’s a bit ing selfish? Do you not care if someone else is hurting?!” Nam Soon knew that was a bit of a low blow, but he wasn’t taking it back. He didn’t understand Heung Soo’s attitude.

 

 

Not over you, you retarded bastard!” Heung Soo exclaimed, worry entwined with anger and Nam Soon fell silent in surprise.

 

 

“What do you mean?” He asked quietly.

 

 

Heung Soo groaned, shoulders sagging and he ran a hand over his face. “Other people don’t matter as much as you do. I won’t let you get hurt because of someone else’s situation.” He said, voice firm in his conviction.

 

 

“Heung Soo-ya…” Nam Soon trailed off. What exactly should he say to that? ‘Sorry, won’t happen again’? or ‘Don’t worry, I’m a big boy. I can take care of myself’. He was touched by Heung Soo’s words, but he wasn’t put off helping where he could. “I have a lot to make up for in this life.”

 

 

“No you don’t,” Heung Soo stressed, reaching out and Nam Soon let himself be pulled in to a hug, wrapping his own arms around Heung Soo. “You’ve suffered enough, you martyring bastard.” His cupped Nam Soon’s cheeks gently and Nam Soon smiled lightly when a kiss was placed on his bruise. “That damn Oh Jung Ho,” Heung Soo muttered to himself, “I’ll give him a black eye, the bastard.”

 

 

Nam Soon chuckled. “Don’t worry, I kneed him in the stomach.” His amusement fell from his face and he sighed, looking at Heung Soo seriously. “He needs some help though, Heung Soo-ya. He’s not in a good situation and I can’t leave him in it. He had a black eye himself and a split lip when he opened the door.”

 

 

“Aish,” Heung Soo frowned. He studied Nam Soon for a few moments, taking in his determination. “You’re not gonna let this go, are you?” Nam Soon shook his head. “Fine. But from now on I’m going with you.”

 

 

“Okay,” Nam Soon agreed and kissed him. “I can work with that.”