Chapter Twenty One

Home Is Just Another Word For You

A few days had passed and Heung Soo was still distant. He’d still sleep side by side with Nam Soon, he’d still spend all his time with him (though that was kind of unavoidable since he’d still not gone home), but it was like some sort of barrier had formed between them. There was little to no intimacy there, just a few odd second long pecks to the lips, and even then it was Nam Soon who initiated it.

 

 

He knew it had to be something to do with Soo Min, nothing else made sense. By the end of the fifth day of Heung Soo refusing all advances Nam Soon was considering going to see her himself to try to find some answers.

 

 

That however would be a betrayal of Heung Soo’s trust. He didn’t want Nam Soon asking questions and Nam Soon wasn’t comfortable at the thought of going behind his back. At the same time though, if he just knew what exactly it was troubling him then Nam Soon could help him get over it, right?

 

 

It was a mess. He didn’t know what to do, all he knew was that he missed Heung Soo. He resolved to talk to him, he had to find out what exactly was wrong with Heung Soo. He’d just need to pick an appropriate time to question him, when Heung Soo would be more willing to open up. The thought of getting him drunk flittered through his mind, but there was no way Heung Soo would be pleased with that once he’d sobered up.

 

 

Should he really just wait? How long would that be, though? He hated this distance between them. The worst thing was that Heung Soo was right there. He was within touching distance and yet he couldn’t just reach out and touch. The frustration just swelled up, and the more frustrated he got, the more helpless he felt.

 

 

How does he help Heung Soo when there’s no way to help him?

 

 

For now perhaps he should just be grateful it's only ual advances he's shunning, and not Nam Soon in general. He doesn't know what he would possibly do if Heung Soo shut him out completely.

 

 

Groaning into his hands, Nam Soon forced his wondering mind still. He had to get ready for school – hopefully such a monotonous task would slow his mind until he could think on what the best thing to do was.

 

 

Once he had his uniform on he went to Heung Soo’s side and gave a light kick a little above his hip, just hard enough to knock him from unconsciousness and back into the waking world.

 

 

“Time to get up.”

 

 

Heung Soo grunted and rolled over, away from the offending foot.

 

 

Nam Soon followed and gave another small kick, chuckling when Heung Soo swiped back an arm blindly, looking for revenge.

 

 

He bent down to start poking him instead, jabbing a long, slim finger into his upper back repeatedly. He soldiered on through the return hits and the piss off’s and the bastard’s, laughed at the threats of bodily harm, until Heung Soo gave up and got to his feet, rubbing at his eyes.

 

 

“Hate you,” the older boy mumbled without any heat as he stumbled past Nam Soon, yawning and heading for the bathroom. “Goddamn sleep depriving bastard.”

 

 

Nam Soon just grinned as Heung Soo’s continued insults faded as he left hearing range and headed to the fridge to root around for something edible.

 

 

He pulled out an apple that didn’t appear to have any of those horrid soft, squishy parts after being off the tree for too long and bit into it, eating slowly as he waited for Heung Soo to reappear.

 

 

He was down to absently nibbling at the core when the bathroom door opened and Heung Soo stepped out, nothing but a towel around his waist and body still dripping water.

 

 

The apple core fell from Nam Soon’s hands and he scrambled madly to catch it. He didn’t manage and by the time he’d picked it up off the floor and looked back up Heung Soo had already disappeared into the bedroom to dress.

 

 

“Pathetic,” Nam Soon mumbled to himself, throwing the core in the bin. Five days and he was acting like he hadn’t seen Heung Soo’s (almost) form in five years. “Get a grip, Go Nam Soon.”

 

 

But damn, he wanted to touch. And . Touch and – hands and tongue. It wasn’t fair, just last week he’d have completely disregarded school, dragged Heung Soo to bed and spent the day getting hot and steamy with so many s his would feel ready to shrivel up and fall off.

 

 

In a dramatic show of teenage angst he flopped onto his sofa face first with a long, whined groan of ual frustration and stayed there; fantasising about Heung Soo walking out with that towel gone and stripping Nam Soon of his uniform – right up until (a very much clothed) Heung Soo impatiently informed him he’d been waiting to leave for two minutes already. Only then did he drag himself up and follow Heung Soo out the house and down a few streets towards the bus stop, making sure to stay a few steps behind him because dammit, he may not be able to touch, but he could damn well stare. And stare he did; Heung Soo hadn’t gotten new school trousers since he’d joined Victory High and having grow a little more since then they weren’t the best fit, something Nam Soon was currently infinitely grateful for because it gave him a view he certainly appreciated. He decided he really liked Heung Soo in tight trousers.

 

 

‘Yay for poverty,’ he cheered sarcastically in his mind. Honestly, at this rate he was going to start humping him like a dog. And oh hey, he’d just thought of an opening into the let’s-not-talk-about-Soo-Min barrier between them.

 

 

“Heung Soo-ya,” Nam Soon said, reluctantly pulling his eyes from the wonderful view and hurrying his steps to walk beside him, cause it’d be a little awkward to talk to his boyfriend about said boyfriend’s sister while staring at his arse. “Where’s Pororo? How come you didn’t bring him?” There; a nice, safe way to edge his way into talking about The Conversation (as he’d just decided to dub it).

 

 

Heung Soo cast him a glance, a small frown between his eyebrows and ‘uh-oh, bustard,’ Nam Soon thought. Yeah, Heung Soo knew exactly why Nam Soon had stayed behind him. For a moment he considered apologising, but then Heung Soo rolled his eyes and Nam Soon easily caught the amusement he was trying to mask as annoyance. Nam Soon grinned cheekily, all teeth and gums. This was an unexpected turn for the better. Perhaps the fresh air was doing Heung Soo some good and Nam Soon wouldn't die from blue balls any time soon after all.

 

 

Heung Soo huffed and turned his head to face forward.

 

 

“He would’ve just been a nuisance. He’d eat everything and steal things, and just lately he’d taken to trying to take off door handles,” He said. “Figured it was best to leave him at home.”

 

 

Door handles?” Nam Soon repeated, temporarily distracted from digging for information on The Conversation. (And was that Heung Soo throwing him off on purpose? Did he realise what Nam Soon was angling for?). But really, of all the things, door handles? Seriously? “Why?”

 

 

Heung Soo shrugged. “He’d weird and dumb.”

 

 

“Well, they do say dogs take after their owners.”

 

 

Nam Soon dodged the hit he knew was coming and set off running, Heung Soo a few steps behind as they raced the rest of the way to the bus stop, laughing and pulling at each other.

 

 

They got there just as the bus was pulling up and hopped on, having to stand for the journey as all the seats were taken already. Nam Soon didn’t mind though, he was feeling light and happy. Heung Soo was grinning, eyes bright, and Nam Soon wasn’t so worried any more. They’d be fine, they always were in the end.

 

 

They spent the ride goofing off, being the school kids they were and revelling in being allowed to get away with it with nothing more than disgruntled looks from the other passengers. Once this school year was up they’d be expected to act like responsible adults; no chasing each other down streets and shouting insults at each other, no throwing food and stealing bits of meat off of plates. Smart suits and well thought out, rational decisions; that’s what was expected of them once they graduated.

 

 

Heung Soo seemed to be thinking the exact same thing because he snorted at the disapproving look he got from an ajumma when he thumped Nam Soon on the shoulder and called him a . “We’re gonna make terrible adults.”

 

 

Nam Soon agreed wholeheartedly.

 

 

The bus reached their stop and they hopped off, shouldering their bags as they joined the flow of students passing through the gates.

 

 

“So, was Soo Min okay with keeping the dog?”

 

 

Heung Soo paused, forcing Nam Soon to stop too. He raised an eyebrow at Nam Soon. “Subtle, Nam Soon-ah.”

 

 

Nam Soon shrugged off the sarcasm. He still wanted to know something about The Conversation, and for all the thought he’d put into bringing Heung Soo’s sister up delicately, he’d never been that good at beating round the bush. He did give Heung Soo a sheepish look however because he really could have drove back into that conversation in a thousand better ways. “Sorry,” he sighed. “I just… I don’t mean to push, but come on, Heung Soo-ya, you’ve gotta give me something,” he pleaded. He sounded a little desperate, but he couldn’t help it. “You don’t have to spill your soul… just… “He looked down and around at all the students, not really taking anything in, just trying to sort out what he wanted to get across. He didn’t want to admit how much the last few days had affected him. How he wasn’t even sure what Heung Soo felt about them anymore. But he had to know, he was desperate. “Will you just tell me that we’re okay?”

 

 

And suddenly he felt miserable all over again.

 

 

Heung Soo bit his lip and cast a glance around at all the students around them, taking in the crowd rather than looking threw them as Nam Soon just had. Then Nam Soon was being pulled far off to the side, over by the bin area people sneaked to for a smoke at lunch. After checking that no one was around he had Heung Soo’s attention again.

 

 

“We are, right? We’re okay?” He rushed out, unable to wait for Heung Soo to begin talking. “That’s all I need to know.” ‘Please say we’re ok,’ he thought, apprehension rising inside. He couldn’t deal with a ‘no’.

 

 

“I…” Heung Soo began, but he didn’t seem sure what to say. Nam Soon’s heart faltered. “What do you mean?”

 

 

Nam Soon gaped. Had he seriously just asked that? All that worry and uncertainty and Heung Soo asks what does he mean? “What do you mean what do I mean?!” And that came out louder than Nam Soon had planned, but now it had started, he needed to let some frustration out – it was just bubbling over and in this moment he didn’t particularly want to stop it. “For ’s sake, Heung Soo-ya, you’ve been acting like a nineteenth century girl this past week; I’ve barely been able to touch you! And you won’t tell me why!”

 

 

Heung Soo’s eyes were wide in surprise and Nam Soon felt like ripping out his hair in frustration, because god-ing-dammit Heung Soo hadn’t even noticed! Nam Soon spent the last few days despairing at the sudden distance between them, thinking up a thousand ludicrous things to bring them back together and the whole time Heung Soo was totally oblivious to it all! It was almost enough to make him laugh, if only it wasn’t so exasperating.

 

 

“Oh my ing God, I could wring your neck right now you moronic bastard!”

 

 

Heung Soo at least had the decency to look guilty as he rubbed the back of his neck.

 

 

“I’m sorry, Nam Soon-ah, I didn’t mean to push you away,” he said, lowing his hand to take the sleeve of Nam Soon’s blazer, running the material between his fingers and Nam Soon felt his heart calm back to a steady beat. He forced the sleeve from Heung Soo’s hand by entwining their fingers, palms pressed together. He controlled his breathing, taking a deep breath, making himself relax. They both looked at their held hands and Nam Soon almost smiled, but then Heung Soo gave his hand a small squeeze and pulled away. Nam Soon’s hand hovered there for a moment, missing the warmth, and his heart sank just a little deeper.

 

 

Heung Soo fidgeted awkwardly, and Nam Soon knew he’d seen the disappointment in his eyes. He hadn’t tried to hide it.

 

 

Heung Soo swallowed and glanced around, making sure there was still no one around. “I’m sorry,” he said again, voice small. “We’re okay. I promise that we’re good, Nam Soon-ah. I just…” He cast around for the right words and Nam Soon stayed silent, letting him. “I feel thrown, Nam Soon-ah. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut. I knew noona might not take it well, but I didn’t know.” His voice cracked and his eyes watered, and a swell of emotion welled in Nam Soon’s heart. He pulled Heung Soo into a tight hug, hating that he had to see that look on his face. He didn’t even know what he was doing right now. Ten minutes ago they were laughing, then Nam Soon was shouting, then they seemed better, then he felt disappointment, now he was upset for Heung Soo – he didn’t even know it was possible to flit through so many emotions in such a short space of time. It was draining too, all he really wanted right now was to be close to Heung Soo so he buried in closer, breathing in his scent.

 

 

“I’m sorry, Heung Soo-ya,” he murmured into the soft skin of his neck. “I shouldn’t have said anything. We’ll just stop talking about it.”

 

 

“No,” Heung Soo said, his voice soft but determined, and Nam Soon felt the shake of his head. “I haven’t been fair to you Nam Soon-ah. I shouldn’t have ignored you, I just… I thought I’d be okay with it. I thought that if Soo Min noona took it badly it’d all just work itself out eventually. I… I guess I just never realised how much it would hurt.” Wetness damped Nam Soon’s neck and he clung on to Heung Soo like an anchor, keeping him there with Nam Soon rather than allowing him to drift too far into negative emotions. He ran soothing hands over his back, mentally cursing himself for being so selfish. He should have respected Heung Soo’s wishes and never have brought this up. He hadn’t meant for Heung Soo to get upset.

 

 

“I’m a dumb bastard,” he said regretfully. Christ, he really ought to have thought this through better, but nobody would ever claim Nam Soon was the sharpest tool in the shed. “But I understand now, Heung Soo-ya. I won’t push.”

 

 

“You are a dumb bastard,” Heung Soo agreed, and Nam Soon was relieved when he pulled back enough to give Nam Soon a watery grin.

 

 

Nam Soon laughed, low and quiet, but pleased to see a smile. “The most idiotic one to ever live.”

 

 

Heung Soo rubbed his tear tracks away with the back of his hand and Nam Soon ran a hand up his arm, giving his shoulder a gentle squeeze. “Aish,” Heung Soo muttered, aggravated. “I’m turning into a damn six year old girl crying like that.”

 

 

“I won’t tell if you don’t,” Nam Soon said, putting both arms back around him and cuddling up to him like a kid. He was warm and smelt good, Nam Soon would be happy to stay here all day. He’d missed this so much.

 

 

“… And you’re my little yappy puppy that demands attention all the time,” Heung Soo drily remarked, looking over his suddenly clingy boyfriend. Nam Soon just grinned happily however as arms embraced him in return. “You’re probably called Princess, or Tinkerbelle or something.”

 

 

Nam Soon snorted with amusement into Heung Soo’s shirt. “Yeah, this isn’t really a shining example of manliness.”

 

 

Heung Soo grunted his agreement, dropping his chin onto Nam Soon’s shoulder. “We’re so ing gay.”

 

 

“Very gay,” Nam Soon confirmed.

 

 

They was a moment’s pause, then they were both laughing and Heung Soo pushed Nam Soon away, but Nam Soon grabbed him in a headlock and received a kick to the leg that had him hopping in pain in return. So he jumped up onto Heung Soo’s back, wrapping his arms too tightly around his chest and they both tumbled back onto the ground, losing the air from their lungs, their laughter coming out in wheezes as they tried to breath.

 

 

They just laid there for a few minutes, staring up at the clear blue sky as their breaths slowly became even and they relaxed, happy with each other’s company.

 

 

Nam Soon wasn’t going to ask about The Conversation any more. He knew there was more to it, but he’d let Heung Soo tell him in his own time. He hoped Heung Soo would start to become more responsive to him physically as well, but once again if he wanted some time, then Nam Soon silently vowed to himself he’d let him have it. For now he was content enough.

 

 

A short while later Heung Soo was the first to sit up, dragging Nam Soon with him. “Come on, or we’ll be late.”

 

 

Nam Soon dutifully got to his feet, stretching his arms skyward, pulling a few aches from his body. “Yeah, let’s go.”

 

 

The gates were closing, meaning that school was about to begin so they hurried into the building with the last few straggles, mindful of what a tosser their homeroom teacher is. Neither wants another detention, they've had enough already.

 

 

Thankfully they arrived in time and took their seats. Nam Soon was beside Young Woo, Heung Soon on his other side.  He gave Young Woo a sincere smile and patted him on the shoulder as a hello, then he gave him a crooked grin, “so how’s it going on the Kang Joo front?” He’d actually sort of forgotten about that for a while, which made him feel like a pretty ty friend.

 

 

Young Woo’s face immediately turned scarlet and he made an odd flailing motion with his hands. “It-it's not going,” he squeaked out, turning to bury his face in a book to cover his embarrassment.

 

 

‘So ing damn cute,’ Nam Soon grinned to himself. But Young Woo seemed to want the conversation to end so Nam Soon let it. He did glance over to Kang Joo though to see her looking back, eyes moving between him and Young Woo, clearly wondering what they were talking about. Nam Soon shot her a grin, pointed at Young Woo, then her. Kang Joo replied with a look of confusion, clearly not getting it, but Nam Soon just grinned brightly and gave her a thumbs up.

 

 

She hesitated a moment, then moved to get up but right then the teacher strode in and she sat back down. Ha Kyung, who’d taken over from Nam Soon as class president, did the usual attention, bow and the school day officially began. Nam Soon looked over to Heung Soo, who already seemed bored, then rested his head on his desk and closed his eyes, intent on sleeping all his classes away.