The Matter of Provocation

Isn't It Destiny?

 

MUSIC BANK: 4MINUTE’S WAITING ROOM

 

-JIHYUN’S POV-

 

How time flied! After one week of anticipation, Us 4Minute finally had our first comeback stage on Music Bank. However, despite the excitement among the members to be back, wewere a bit worried as well.

 

The problem lied in our outfit, namely Hyuna’s outfit.

 

Since our What’s your name MV was published, a lot of negative comments had been publicized against Hyuna’s outfit in the MV. Many of them considered that it was no longer y, it was suggestive and cheap! They even called her a , a show girl, making the little girl depressed for the last few days. As a leader and a sister, this was what I should and must pay lots of attention to. Hyuna had been set to be the y icon of our group, partly for that, her costume had to show that purpose as well. She knew it, and mostly everyone knew it. Why couldn’t they think that the clothes was for emphasizing iness?

 

We couldn’t do nothing for Hyuna but comforting and encouraging her day by day. she did listen to us, stopped crying but from inside, I knew she cried a lot at night, to the level that her pillow became wet and her eyes turned red. Hyuna slept on the highest bed, therefore, we didn’t know if she could sleep well or not but surely, for the last few days, she didn’t. she received similar criticism before but this time, things seemed to go beyond her control.

 

In the waiting room, all the members but Hyuna were done with makeup. We were all sitting on the couch, looking at her and the stylist with nerve. The stylist was like struggling to hide all the dark rings around her eyes with concealer but the situation appeared to be more serious than she expected. We couldn’t say anything, our managers looked so serious as well. The suffocating atmosphere in the room was brought to a level that I couldn’t stand anymore. I stood up, opened the door and walked outside to breathe a little bit.

 

Right then, the door of the room next to ours opened and a guy walked out. I was extremely surprised to find that it was Hoya from Infinite! Infinite was next to us without our acknowledge! And Hoya seemed to be as surprised as me since his eyes rounded:

 

-          Jihyun ssi?

 

-          Yes – I smiled to him awkwardly – It’s me. I don’t know that our waiting rooms are near like this.

 

-          Me too – He smiled back – You’re gonna perform last, aren’t you?

 

-          Yes…It’s a comeback anyway. How about you?

 

-          Right before you guys.

 

We started our conversation ordinarily but I had never imagined that he was so sensitive. I meant, even though I was smiling at him, I couldn’t hide my worry about Hyuna in my eyes. That was the reason why Hoya’s voice lowered:

 

-          Is there any problem? You don’t look so fine?

 

-          Er…

 

 I hesitated, didn’t know if I should tell him. But then I suddenly remembered. Something that I happened to hear a long time ago.

 

-FLASHBACK-

 

2011

 

This year’s summer was a happiness for us, especially for Hyuna as her second solo attempt Bubble Pop went beyond our expectation with huge success. And along with that her relationship with Woohyun was very good, good to the level that he did once visit her at our dorm. Of course, in secret. I didn’t know how they got close. I had never heard from Hyuna anything that she went to meet Woohyun or something. Partly because I intended not to stick my nose into their personal business, partly because Hyuna might not want to share it with anyone among the group. But still, when I accidentally saw Woohyun in our room, I was very surprised.

 

In the morning, Gayoon and Jiyoon asked me to go out for shopping early in the morning as there was a sale-off in a store nearby. Yep, even though we were idols, who were thought to earn a lot of money, sale-off was something ing excellent to us! Sohyunnie went out also, with Dongwoon instead of us. Hyuna was a bit tired and she had schedule late at night so we left her home for resting. But when we were done with shopping and decided to eat out for lunch, we realized that we had left our credit cards at home and we had spent all money on shopping already. So I had to run back to our dorm to pick the credit cards.

 

When I reached our room, the door was slightly opened. I was about to open it widely to walk inside when I heard a male voice:

 

-          You think it’s OK? I’m afraid they would come back.

 

-          Nope – Hyuna replied – I’m sure they would have lunch outside after going shopping. Jja~ Let’s see what you bring me.

 

There was a sound of opening a box and then Hyuna shouted in excitement in low volume:

 

-          Ah…This is just amazing. You made it?

 

-          If not me, who else?

 

-          Thank you Woohyun oppa!

 

“Woohyun oppa”? Wasn’t it Woohyun from Infinite? I leaned towards the chink on the door to see. Confirmed. It was that guy. They were sitting together on Hyuna’s bed.

 

Hyuna took something from the box Woohyun brought, put into and started to chew. Then she looked at him, with full of food:

 

-          I thought I had to be starving for schedule…

 

And it was when Woohyun’s voice turned serious:

 

-          But do you have to wear such clothes? I mean, it’s way too short and suggestive…

 

-          Is there a problem with that?

 

-          I…well…- Woohyun hesitated for a while – You shouldn’t wear that kind of shorts anymore. I don’t mean you are not y or charming. You look y even not wearing that kinds of shorts but people would judge you with those kind of outfit. They would say bad about you and I don’t want it.

 

-          But – Hyuna raised her voice. I couldn’t see their facial expression but it sounded like a fight of words had just burst out – that image works with me. Don’t you see those results? I did wear similar kind from our group’s debut. Nobody opposes it so why have you?

 

Pausing talking for catching her breath, Hyuna went on:

 

-          Ah…why don’t you say that to your Seungyeon’s noona? She wears the same shorts like me. Why do I have to change because of what you say?

 

-          Seungyeon noona is old enough…

 

Woohyun defended and he was interrupted:

 

-          I’m 19 so I’m not old enough to wear shorts? Don’t you see girls wearing shorts walking on the streets out there? Why don’t you complain them? Why do I have to be complained?

 

-          Because – Woohyun suddenly shouted with anger – I can’t stand your being looked on your thighs by those guys! I’m jealous! I’m mean! Ok? Yeah you’re so y, you’re attractive in that shorts but it…

 

Then his voice turned low, lower and lower until it sounded nearly like a whisper:

 

-          I just don’t want you to wear it…

 

-          Who are you to request me so?

 

-          Someone…who…who likes you and only want to be liked by you!

 

After hearing so, I left my place to go find Doojoon oppa to borrow his credit card. I didn’t want to intervene them. Therefore, I had no idea what went on next. Just knew that after that day, Hyuna’s shorts became a bit longer until the managers complained about her change and she was forced to be back with those hot-pants. I sometimes wondered if her comeback with hot-pants leaded to her cold relationship with Woohyun later on or not but of course, I would never know whether I was right or wrong.

 

-End FLASHBACK-

 

- Jihyun ssi?

 

Hoya’s voice brought me back to reality. I was so deep into thoughts that I forgot I was talking with Hoya. Shaking my head a bit, I smiled and decided to tell him:

 

-          Ah…we are worried about Hyuna. You know, she was criticized for her provocative outfits. We did try to encourage her but it doesn’t seem enough…

 

Saying so, I just hoped Hoya would tell Woohyun about this, hoped that Woohyun could encourage her as he was the one who had a connection with Hyuna in terms of provocative clothes. Once again, I was surprised as Hoya seemed to read my mind when he said:

 

-          Uhm… I got it…Maybe I can’t help but well…Woohyunnie can.

 

I said goodbye to Hoya and then walked back to our waiting room.

 

-End POV-