A Leader Should... - Part 2

Isn't It Destiny?

 

Sunggyu told the manager to leave for home, no need to wait for him as he had something to do and that he would take a taxi home later. The manager was okay with that but still he gave Sunggyu a doubtful look when seeing him walking out of the parking lot while taking out his phone from his pocket. When Sunggyu was about to dial the number he had just got from Sungjong a few minutes ago, he was called back by the manager:

 

-          Sunggyu ah!

 

-          Yes hyung?

 

-          You’re the leader, right? – The manager shouted loudly – You know what you should and shouldn’t do as a leader right?

 

-          Er..Ye…yes hyung. – Sunggyu was a bit hesitated as he didn’t know why the manager was talking that way.

 

-          Okay, I’ll let you do what you want but remember what you do is not only for yourself but for all of your members.

 

After saying so, the manager got in the car and started the car’s engine. Sunggyu was wondering about what the manager said when his call was picked up:

 

-          Yeobeoseyo?

 

He hurriedly put the phone to his ear:

 

-          Jiyoon ah?

 

-          Yes…You are…

 

-          It’s me Sunggyu here. You remember what I told you at the studio?

 

The other side gave an “ah” exclamation and then Jiyoon apologized him:

 

-          Sorry Sunggyu-ssi…I forgot…Can we make it another time? I’m on the van right now.

 

-          Another time?

 

 Sunggyu was a bit disappointed. He must have followed her right after the recording. It was all because of the manager approached him too soon! But then, as he advised the caller, he shouldn’t be reluctant. And that’s why he told Jiyoon:

 

-          I will come to your dorm. Is it ok?

 

-          Er…Is it urgent?

 

-          Not an urgent matter but I want to see you.

 

Pausing for a second to catch a breath, he went on:

 

-          Of course I will wait outside your dorm, nobody would recognize us. Is it ok?

 

-          Uhm…Fine. See you then.

 

Having Jiyoon’s acceptance made Sunggyu sigh with relief after hanging up the phone. He just didn’t know what to tell her when they meet later on but there seemed to be something motivating him to meet her.

 

-FLASHBACK-

 

- Why have you never said that you loved me?

 

Sunggyu asked while he was driving the car along the quiet and peaceful roads in the suburbs of Seoul. To reply, Jiyoon just giggled:

 

-        I have my own reason. But anyway, you’ve known it already.

 

They were going on a secret picnic at the countryside. After one year meeting, in the early winter of 2011, Sunggyu had finally got the confidence to express his feelings for Jiyoon. The girl was a bit reluctant at first as she was surprised by Sunggyu’s confession but after that, she quickly made up her mind to accept him. And right after Sunggyu had wrapped up his promotion with Infinite for Paradise, they went on dating for the first time.

 

The dating site was chosen to be the outskirts of Seoul, namely an old village where Jiyoon had gone before for a charity activity. She recommended that place as mostly people there were old people, who were thought to be unaware of two idols going on a date in their neighborhood.

 

When they arrived on the top of a green hill looking across paddle fields below, it was nearly noon. The sun was shining straightly to the ground but luckily, where Sunggyu and Jiyoon was sitting was  shaded by a big old tree. Jiyoon joked:

 

-          You have to thank your best friend for preventing the sun from us!

 

-          Ah – Sunggyu nodded his head – Yes, Namu the tree. It seems like he can’t let me alone for a while.

 

Since it was sunny out there, they decided not to go anywhere but sit under the tree and talk. The first date sounded kind of boring but for both of them, it was much better than going to movie or theme park as here they didn’t have to worried about being caught.

 

They were talking in excitement when Sunggyu spotted something interesting. He pushed her hand and pointed to the left of the paddle field.

 

-          Look! Shall we go there?

 

Jiyoon looked at what Sunggyu was pointed at. It was a small piece of land which was covered with the yellow colour of newly-bloomed winter cress. Among the green color of rice plants, the yellow winter cress looked like sunlight shining on the ground. She nodded at once:

 

-          It’s amazing. Let’s go.

 

Then they ran down the hill to the winter cress field. It was not common to see winter cress in Seoul so Jiyoon was very excited to play with the small yellow flowers and totally she forgot the appearance of Sunggyu, who was quietly looking at her with a happy smile. The girl he liked, the girl who was thought to have a strong personality turned to a romantic lovely girl in the middle of winter cress field.

 

Right then, Jiyoon turned to his side and caught Sunggu looking at her without a wink. She called him:

 

-          Ya, why are you looking at me that way?

 

He smiled, didn’t answer. Instead, Sunggyu picked a flower and walked towards her. Then he gently put it on her blond hair and whispered:

 

-          You looked so beautiful, Jiyoonie ah!

 

Jiyoon blushed. She were not used to those romantic words from Sunggyu. Even though then they were dating, she still felt weird to hear such thing.

 

She mumbled while touching the flower on her hair:

 

-          Don’t say like that. I’m not used to it.

 

-          Okay – Sunggyu replied – But how about this?

 

As soon as those words slipped from his mouth, he grabbed her hand and held it tightly.

 

-          Non-verbal is  better, isn’t it?

 

Jiyoon just smiled shyly. It was so sweet of that guy. And it was even sweeter when he whispered to her in the light breeze of the late afternoon:

 

-          I hope you love me like I do to you.

 

-END FLASHBACK-

 

Ever from that date til the next dates and even til the final date they had before putting an end to their relationship, Sunggyu had never heard Jiyoon said that she loved him. At first, he thought she might be too shy to say such thing but somehow, when he was waiting for her at the parking lot at her dorm, something came across his mind. Maybe she had never said those words because if she didn’t love him back ,she could cling to it as a reason. That it was only he that said “I love you” ,not her.

 

But was Jiyoon that bad?

 

Someone suddenly tapping on his shoulder made Sunggyu startle. When he turned around, he sighed with relief to find out it was Jiyoon in a black hoodie standing in front of him.

 

-          Sorry I’m late. – She apologized.

 

-          It’s ok. I’ve just arrived here.

 

-          But what do you want to tell me? – Jiyoon went directly to the matter.

 

-          Well – Sunggyu scratched his head. He was always like that when being embarrassed. – you remember the case we both solved back in the last recording?

 

-          Uh – Jiyoon nodded- So what?

 

-          Do you think that I should do like him?

 

A weird expression dashed through Jiyoon’s face. She lowered her voice:

 

-          You mean, confessing your feelings?

 

-          Uhm…

 

-          To… - Jiyoon was a bit reluctant but finally she was able to give a specific name – our Hyuna?

 

And it made Sunggyu surprise. Why Hyuna? Why was Jiyoon mentioning Hyuna here? Didn’t it mean that she thought Sunggyu really liked Hyuna?

 

No. Things were not like that. Absolutely not like that.

 

“A leader had to be responsible with his decision. A leader had to be very careful with every step he made as it not only affects him but also the whole groups as well as the other members.”

 

That was the lesson Sunggyu had learnt by heart ever since he was appointed to be Infinite’s leader. But after a lot of right things he had done for Infinite, he finally made a wrong move. It was to choose Hyuna as his ideal type.

 

Actually Hyuna was the first name to pop out from his mind when he was asked to choose an ideal type. Somehow, after the breakup with Jiyoon, Sunggyu still wanted to keep a connection with 4Minute girls as they were very kind to him and Infinite’s members. That was why he chose a 4Minute’s member instead of a SNSD’s member if he were Sungyeol or even a Kara’s member like Woohyun would do. Hyuna was popular, he chose her. It was simply like that. But since he had to be a bit consistent in his words; he was a leader anyway, he had to keep on giving that answer whenever being asked. But after all, it was so wrong of him.

 

As Woohyun, his best friend, the one who used to have a romantic relationship with Hyuna, still liked her. Sunggyu felt guilty.

 

And as Jiyoon, who Sunggyu had just discovered recently that he still had feelings for her also thought he liked Hyuna. Sunggyu even felt much more guilty.

 

After all, he had committed a crime. With both Woohyun and Jiyoon.

 

Taking a deep breath, he looked into Jiyoon’s eyes and said with all of his confidence:

 

-          If it were Hyuna, you shouldn’t have been here.

 

-          You mean…

 

-          Yes, I mean confessing to you!

 

-          Do you acknowledge of what you are saying?

 

Jiyoon doubtfully asked and Sunggyu answered right away:

 

-          Sure. A leader has to be responsible for everything he says and I’m not an exception.

 

-          But it seems like you have just figured it out recently, right? If so, you shouldn’t have left me.

 

That was it. After a long time, they finally touched the main problem. The reason for their breakup.

 

***

The second part for this chapter. I read some reviews about Shut up flower boy band (it doesn't relate much to this story) and found myself so much inspired by the leadership featured in the drama that I decided to devote this whole chapter to leadership. But of course the question is how can Sunggyu apply his leadership skill to love?