This Is My Mom

Isn't It Destiny?

 

At the backstage of KBS’s recording studio

 

-          Mom, what takes you so long to come?

 

Sohyun talked right when her mom picked up the phone. Her eyebrows were frowning as only a few minutes later, she and mom would record a brand new show for KBSTV named Mamma mia, in which idols and their moms would appear to do talkshow and some funny tasks together. Sohyun was the first member of 4Minute to be invited to this show and she was very excited as it was a long time that she hadn’t met her mom yet.

 

Sohyun’s mom told her that she was stuck with the heavy traffic jam and was not very far from the studio. Sohyun was calmed down but still, she decided to rush to the director’s room to apologize:

 

-          PD-nim, so sorry that my mom was stuck with a traffic jam on the way. Could you please change the order of her appearance?

 

The PD saw her begging breathlessly and agreed right away:

 

-          It’s okay. The mysterious couple will take lots of time to record.

 

-          Thank you! – Sohyun continuously bowed to the PD to show her gratitude – Thank you very much PD nim.

 

She ran out to come back to her waiting room. And right then, Sohyun bumped into someone walking in the opposite direction. That was hurt! She rubbed her forehead and with a wry face, Sohyun looked up to find out who she had accidentally bumped into.

 

That person, who was also rubbing his chest bumped into by Sohyun’s head was surprisingly…

 

Dongwoo!

 

-          Oh – Sohyun exclaimed – I’m sorry oppa. I was so careless.

 

-          It’s okay – Dongwoo, as usual, smiled brightly at Sohyun and then he pointed to the studio – You also record Mamma Mia, don’t you?

 

-          Yes. But my mom was a bit late.

 

At that time, someone called Dongwoo’s name from behind:

 

-          Dongwoo ah, where have you been?

 

Dongwoo turned his back and said with a nagging voice that Sohyun had never heard in him:

 

-          I went out for a while mom.

 

The woman who Dongwoo called mom walked towards him and Sohyun. She was a middle-aged woman but still looked younger than her age. From what Sohyun could see, Dongwoo took after his mom a lot, especially the smile. Dongwoo’s mom smiled at Sohyun when she reached the position to be next to Dongwoo and she looked at her son asking:

 

-          Who’s this lovely girl?

 

-          Er…yeah. Annyeonghaseyo – Sohyun was a bit reluctant and then she quickly bowed to Dongwoo’s mom – My name is Kwon Sohyun.

 

-          She’s also part of today’s cast. – Dongwoo added – And from the group of Woohyunnie’s ex-girlfriend.

 

Sohyun’s eyes turned round for surprise. What the hell had Dongwoo just said? “The group of Woohyunnie’s ex-girlfriend”? Those Infinite guys did reveal their teammates’ relationship to their parents? Oh my god. Sohyun just could exclaim inside.

 

And turning to Sohyun, Dongwoo introduced:

 

-          Sohyun, this is my beloved mom.

 

-          Where’s your mother, Sohyunnie?

 

 Dongwoo’s mom asked. That was a reasonable question as at this point of time, the mothers should have all been here and been sticking with their sons/ daughters while Sohyun was going all alone.

 

Sohyun shyly replied:

 

-          Yeah…my mom was late for traffic jam. She nearly reaches here.

 

-          I see, traffic is so terrible these days. I heard we still have about 15 more minutes for preparation so… - Dongwoo’s mom let go her arms off her son and went on – you guys can chat for a while but don’t be late for recording. OK?

 

-          Ok mom.

 

Dongwoo replied and gave his mom a big hug before she came back to the waiting room, leaving the two young persons to stand there, shyly looking at each other.

 

The mobile phone suddenly vibrated inside Dongwoo’s pocket. He quickly took it out to check the message. A message from his mom. It went:

 

“That girl looks cute. Be nice to her.”

 

Dongwoo smiled at the phone’s screen. He didn’t need his mom to remind that the girl standing in front of him was cute and that he should be nice to her as ever since they met, he knew she was the cutest of all.

 

-          I heard – Sohyun reluctantly intervened Dongwoo’s reading message. Her hands were clasped behind her back and Sohyun bended down a bit towards Dongwoo to ask him – you guys were filming a new MV…

 

-          Uh ah – Dongwoo put the phone back to his pocket – Yes, we’ve done with it yesterday. We might meet again on stage, shall we?

 

The girl nodded. The atmosphere between them was so intense as both of them didn’t know what to talk about.

 

-          Do you have any schedule after this?

 

-          No. I think this recording would last til late at night – replied Sohyun looking at the watch – and I’m going to be home with mom.

 

-          Ah, I see.

 

Dongwoo scratched his head, felt a bit regretted. As Sohyun had just extinguished his hope. He did use all of his bravery to lead to an invitation to hang out after the show but Sohyun unintentionally gave him a refusal. What was much more disappointing than that?

 

***

 

At the recording

 

After the introduction and talkshow part, the cast were told to go to a stadium to take part in some games between idols and moms. Sohyun’s mom had prepared couple hoodies for both of them and the little girl was very happy for that. She kept on looking at her hoodie and complimented with mom for her good choice of color that fitted the two a lot.

 

The MC announced that the cast would join a big game, including 4 different smaller ones and all of them required exercising a lot. As her mom was kind of tired after long hours inside the car as well as the studio, Sohyun worriedly asked her:

 

-          Mommy, do you feel fine to join? You look tired already.

 

-          Don’t worry sweetie – replied her mom, holding her hand tight – Not very good but enough to join til the end. Anyway, I can’t disappoint my daughter on national television.

 

-          It’s not time to joke, mommy – Sohyun pouted and then she said firmly – If you feel tired, just tell me. I will play your part as well. I don’t need popularity much more than your feeling good.

 

-          Oh my daughter – Sohyun’s mom exclaimed with an emotional voice – Now she knows to care about me. That’s enough for me!

 

Luckily, what Sohyun’s mom was right. She was still able to actively take part in the first half of the games. With their effort, Sohyun and mom’s team ranked among the top teams, only second to male’s teams. Of course, he was a guy and a guy was much stronger than a girl like Sohyun. There was nothing to complain about that. However, when the final games was about to come, Sohyun’s mom showed clear sign of losing her strength quickly.

 

-          Mom, you shouldn’t join the last game. You’re tired clearly!

 

Sohyun said to her mom while giving her a wet towel to wipe away her sweat.

 

-          We only have one game left. ..

 

-          I will play for your part.- She interrupted her mom – You please just sit here and take a rest.

 

Saying so, Sohyun left her mom right away. She couldn’t stay there any longer or else her mom would persuade her to join the game until the end. Results? It was nothing. Sohyun wouldn’t gain anything but popularity for 4Minute from this show. But to gain that, she had to have her mom use all her strength, which was something she didn’t want to at all. She’d rather be a loser in the game than see her mom being tired.

 

Sohyun’s sole appearance in the last round of the game drew a lot of attention as in this round, each team had to carry heavy buckets of water and run for 100m. Male idols, they apparently would do this for their moms but for female ones, they couldn’t. So, that Sohyun was about to carry 2 buckets at once was something worth longing for.

 

Whistle…And the game started. As expected, male idols quickly took the lead even though they had to carry much heavier. Sohyun, with two heavy buckets of water on her hands, felt the first few meters very easy but gradually, when the way was longer, she had the feeling of being excessively strained in each muscle.  It was just like her two arms could be broken from her shoulder at any time. But Sohyun clenched her teeth and tried not to drop any of the bucket on the way. Outside, her mom along with other audiences were cheering for her a lot. She looked to the front. Only a few meters to come. And she could see Dongwoo at the finishing line shouting out loud “Sohyun! Sohyun” without care of being caught by the camera. Beside her, some other teams were also rushing to the finish. Sohyun tok a deep breath and tried to use all of her strengths to walked as fast as possible towards that white line on the ground.

 

It was near.

 

Very near already.

 

Finally…

 

She reached the place..

 

Putting the heavy buckets down, Sohyun just wanted to faint. It was the first time that she had to use so much strength for a game. Even though she couldn’t be the first among female teams, reaching the finishing line was so proud of her. Sohyun silently tried to hide the camera and MC, she tottered towards her mom, who was also rushing to her.

 

But as she was so tired, when being only a few steps from her mom, Sohyun stumbled down.

 

Right at that time, someone reached out his hand to hold her. Sohyun didn’t fall on the ground. Through her eyes which were covered with sweat, she could see a guy with blonde hair, a green hoodie and a familiar smile.

 

-          Do..Do..Dongwoo oppa. – Sohyun weakly mumbled.

 

-          It’s me here – Dongwoo replied – It’s ok. You should take a rest now.

 

Then Dongwoo helped Sohyun stand up properly but he still had his arms around her neck, let her lean onto his arms and led her to her mom’s side.

 

-          Sohyunnnie – Her mom seemed to be absolutely panicked at the sight her daughter fell down right in front of her – Are you ok?

 

-          No problem mommy. I just need to sit down for a while.

 

-          You idiot – Her mom reprimanded while Dongwoo led her sit down on a nearby chair – I said I could join. Why did you have to do it all by yourself? You’re ruining your health!

 

-          It’s okay mom. – Sohyun grabbed the water bottle – I finished it anyway.

 

Turning to Dongwoo, who was still sitting next to her with a rather worried face, she tried to smile at him:

 

-          Thank you Dongwoo oppa.

 

-          You mom was right – Dongwoo said – You shouldn’t do that next time.

 

-          I know I know.

 

-          Okay. See you around.

 

Dongwoo said goodbye to Sohyun and then bowed to her mom before going back with his mom standing not so far from them. When Dongwoo was already gone, Sohyun’s mom asked her with doubt:

 

-          Who’s that?

 

-          Jang Dongwoo oppa from Infinite. The same group with Hyuna’s ex-boyfriend.

 

After saying those words, Sohyun laughed to herself. She also introduced him with such the way he used to introduced her to his mom.

 

-          Was that the guy on Bouquet show before?

 

-          You still remember? – Sohyun chokingly asked back – That’s him. Can’t believe you remember him.

 

-          Why not? – Her mom shrugged – I would remember all the guys who had even the smallest connection with my daughter. But still, that guy is nice! Be good to him.

 

-          I know.

 

Sohyun answered shortly and tried to hide the other part. “I’ve always been good to him. The matter is that if he knows it or not.”