Six

If You Were Not A Dream

The weather was so gloomy today.

 

Jiyong silently watched over the window from his spot on the couch, observing the grey sky with a rain was slowly pouring onto its glass layer. It was summer, yet rains were starting to appear more frequently. The rain started since early morning, and still continued until now, making the air so humid and cold.

 

Ae Ra’s cough distracted Jiyong from his thoughts. She still hadn’t woken up fully yet, he noticed. Just coughing unknowingly from her sleep. She pulled the blanket tighter around herself and slumped deeper, hid her face almost completely behind the pillow and disappeared completely from Jiyong’s view.

 

They spent almost all night talking, or it’s more like discussing actually, about their current situation and Jiyong’s problem. Ae Ra agreed to try talking with Jiyong’s mom. Other than that, they didn’t know what else to do though. Ae Ra fell asleep after a moment of being silent between them. Jiyong guessed she must be tired.

 

The door cracked open so quietly, like the one did that trying to open it as carefully as possible. Seeing who stepped inside, Jiyong smiled.

 

Mrs. Kwon slowly walked to Ae Ra’s bed. She looked better today, Jiyong thought. He didn’t how his mother managed to wake up early every morning to visit him in the hospital to be honest. Sometimes she even stayed the night, with his father alongside.

 

His mother brought along some flowers. She went on replacing the old ones, busying herself in the bathroom for 5 good minutes. Hearing the noise, Ae Ra started waking up. Slowly sitting on her bed, Ae Ra rubbed her eyes tiredly. Jiyong saw how was she confused upon hearing motions inside the bathroom.

 

“My mom is in there, she brought flowers.” Jiyong said quietly, avoided startling Ae Ra.

 

Ae Ra snapped her head to his voice. It seemed she just realized or remembered about Jiyong’s presence. “Oh...” She said dazedly, quickly using her hands to re-adjust her messy hair.

 

“You look fine.” Jiyong smiled, seeing her getting nervous.

 

“Oh, I see you’re awake.” His mom appeared at the bathroom door. “Good morning, Ae  Ra-ssi.”

 

“G-good morning, Mrs. Kwon.” Ae Ra said shyly, intended to get out of the bed but Mrs. Kwon quickly stopped her.

"No no stay there.” She went to put the vase of flowers onto a the nearby table and went back to Ae Ra’s bed. “You are still very weak, don’t do stupid things.”

Ae Ra glanced at Jiyong, who were still smiling at them. Her face was like written the word “help”, and Jiyong could not help but laughing out loud.

“How are you feeling dear?” His mom asked her while re-adjusting the pillow behind her back. “Are you hungry?”

“I’m a-a-alright.” Ae Ra replied stiffly. “Thank you.”

“It’s nothing.” MRs. Kwon smiled at her, giving Ae Ra her warmest smile. “How do you know my name though?”

“Ah....” Ae Ra glanced at Jiyong again. “Dr. Jung told me....”

“Ah....” His mom sat on a chair next to the bed. “I see....”

“I...I heard you’re the one taking care of me while I was being unconscious.” Ae Ra started awkwardly. “Thank you so much.” She heard from Jiyong last night, that she was not alone as she thought while being in the coma. Aside Jiyong, his mom was the one visiting her most in 1 and a half past month. “I don’t know how to thank you enough....”

 

“Silly girl.” Mrs. Kwon patted her head. “You’re here alone, injured and unconscious. Who is in their right mind would leave such a poor girl by herself.”

 

Tears already formed in Ae Ra’s eyes, but she quickly wiped them away. Mrs. Kwon took her hand and squeezed it, Ae Ra cried again. Mrs. Kwon had no choice, she pulled Ae Ra to her arms, rubbing her back in slow motion. “I heard you’re here alone? Where your family?”

“My parents both died a long time ago. My sister is somewhere, traveling.” Ae Ra sobbed while answering. “I’m about to contact her soon.” She stopped herself from crying anymore. “I’m sorry, I don’t know what got in me. You just made me miss mom so much.”

Jiyong watched the scene with a heavy heart. He hated seeing crying women.

“It’s ok.” Mrs. Kwon patted her back again.

“M-M-Mrs. Kwon….” Ae Ra tentatively called, making Jiyong’s mom pull back.

The more she looked at the old woman in front of her, the more emotional she felt. Even though they did not have anything similar, Jiyong’s mom reminded Ae Ra of her mom. If her mom were still alive, she would have been about this age too. Jiyong’s mom had a mother look on her face, something warm and affectionate.

“Yes, dear?” The old lady smiled at her encouragingly.

Hearing she called her as “dear” just made Ae Ra wanna tear up again, but she held it back. “I-I-I….I have something to tell you, but I’m not sure if you’ll believe me.” She began.

“What is it?”

Ae Ra played with the hem out her hospital outfit, biting her lips. She was not sure how to start it without sounding creepy. Sighing, she decided to just go straight to the thing. “I can see and talk with Jiyong’s soul right now.”

“What?” Mrs. Kwon confused.

“When I woke up, I saw him in my room, but Dr. Jung didn’t. Then Jiyong himself went on explaining to me that I was the only one saw him since he….he became like that.” Ae Ra said carefully, trying not to sound weird, even though it already did. “He asked me to talk to you, to let you know that he is ok, in a way, and he is trying his best to come back with you.” Ae Ra finished quickly, afraid she might lose the brave to do it the 2nd time.

“What?” Mrs. Kwon still had this confused look on her face.

“I mean…” Ae Ra took both Mrs. Kwon’s hands in hers. “Jiyong is standing beside you right now, you cannot see him, but I can, and…” Ae Ra wasn’t sure how to continue. “He said he was sorry, for making you worried.” Ae Ra’s eyes got watery, trying not to look at Jiyong’s face. Just hearing his croaking voice was emotional enough. She looked at Mrs. Kwon instead. “He didn’t know what is happening with him, and he wanted to awake now, but he cannot. He is trying…”

“Are you alright, dear?” Mrs. Kwon asked worriedly. “Lemme ask for Dr. Jung.” She started to get up, but Ae Ra quickly held her back.

“No, please, listen to me. I know it’s unbelievable, but….” She said urgently. “Help me, how to make her believe that you are here?” She helplessly directed her voice at Jiyong.

Mrs. Kwon stared at how Ae Ra talked with an empty space next to her, furrowed her eyes. “What are you doing?”

“Just repeat after me.” Jiyong said, sniffed. “Oma.”

“What?” Ae Ra cast him a disbelieved look. “No I can’t do that.”

“Just do it, please.” Jiyong had a hurt look on his face. “Please, what if I won’t ever awake again?”

Ae Ra was silent for several seconds, hands still clinging tightly onto Mrs. Kwon’s arms. She turned back to the mom. “O-o-oma.”

“What?” Mrs. Kwon was taken aback. “Ae Ra, what are you talking about?”

“It’s Jiyongie.” Ae Ra continued repeating after Jiyong. She hoped her eyes would show to Mrs. Kwon how much sincere she was right now. “You cannot see me right now, but Ae Ra ssi can, and I asked her a favor to be able to talk to you, oma.”

“August 10, 1996. That was the day you first took me to Little Roora audition set.” Ae Ra continued to talk, trying to soothe Mrs. Kwon’s skeptical look. “You said if I be a god boy on the audition, I would have my dream birthday gift, which was a new car toy.”

“Yes, I never forget anything mom, even though I was really little at that time.” Ae Ra could see Jiyong’s smile. “We were not really wealthy at that time, but you and dad still managed to get me all the toys I wanted, and my favorite was that car toy. I even still keep it in my room now, it is put on the top of my bookshelf.”

“Omo are you a saseng fan?” Mrs. Kwon gasped, trying to pull out of Ae Ra’s grip.

“What is that?” It’s Ae Ra’s turn to be confused. She turned her head to Jiyong.

“It’s the term for too crazy fans, those who follow me everywhere and maybe know everything even the tiniest details about my life.” Jiyong murmured.

“What?…No!” Ae Ra gasped back to Mrs. Kwon, still refused to let go her hands. “No, Mrs. Kwon, please believe me. I live in London for over 20 years, and just came back here 5 days before the accident. You can ask the police about that. I run a business of my own over there, and I came here to expand my business in my homeland, not to do creepy things like following a celebrity everywhere.” Ae Ra said quickly in a breath. “But it’s really sad that Jiyong-ssi is standing right here with us but he cannot talk to you, and because somehow I involve in all this, I think I have to help him in a way. Please, trust me.” She pleaded.

“In 2009,” Jiyong started telling his story again, and Ae Ra repeated. “When the issue with my concert seemed too troublesome, when everyone attacked me with their words and rumors started saying that I might be sent to jail,” Ae Ra cast a look at Jiyong, but he just nodded for her to continue. “I nearly committed suicide.” Ae Ra’s eyes widened. “But you are the one stopped me from doing so, and until today you are the only one knowing about that. No one, even dad, noona or my BIGBANG members. No one.”

Both Ae Ra and Mrs. Kwon gasped, for different reasons. Jiyong just had this blank look on his face, looking at his mom with tears. “If you didn’t find me that day, I might die already. But your care, your comfort was everything I needed at that time. You didn’t shout or yell at me, you just cried and blamed yourself for not be able to help me. Seeing your tears, I didn’t wanna make you suffer anymore because I realized if I took those pills, you would suffer even more. You cooked my favorite dish, and slept with me in your arms that night. I felt like I was a little boy of yours again, and I felt so guilty for even thinking about ending my life, when I hadn’t done anything for you and dad.”

“Can…can we stop here?” Ae Ra said in a quivering voice. “I think this is too private for me.” She turned to look at Mrs. Kwon, tears already welled up in her eyes.

“It’s ok.” Jiyong said in a soft voice.

“How…d-d-id you know?” Mrs. Kwon said, somehow sounded terrified. “Only me and Jiyong know about that day.”

“Jiyong-ssi told me, to prove that he’s really standing right next to you right now. It’s just you cannot see him.” Ae Ra tried again.

“Where?” Mrs. Kown asked slowly, looking from left to right.

“Here.” Ar Ra pointed at the space on Mrs. Kwon’s left side. “Actually he’s hugging you right now.”

“What is happening to him?” Mrs. Kwon started crying, clutching onto Ae Ra’s hands. “If what you said is true, what happened to my boy?”

“Please don’t cry, he’s crying too.” Ae Ra tried to be the strong one among the three. “Maybe he’s just sleeping for a while. Maybe I was wandering around before I woke up just like him.” She tried to calm Mrs. Kwon. “You too, please, stop crying.” She pleaded to Jiyong. “Everything will be ok, eventually. I’ll try my best to help you, if I can.”

“H-h-ow is my boy?” Mrs. Kwon asked while shaking, looked at the empty space on her left.

“He looks great, actually.” Ae Ra smiled, relieving that they both calmed down a bit. “He wore a suit, his blonde hair is styled perfectly. He looks like just attending some ceremony.” Ae Ra observed Jiyong.

Jiyong chuckled while calming himself. “Great to hear that.”

They went on with Ae Ra on behalf of Jiyong telling his mom what he had been doing the past month. Mrs. Kwon was still skeptical at first, but gradually she seemed to believe Ae Ra.

“So what are you gonna do now?” Mrs. Kwon asked, looking at Ae Ra this time. She hadn’t taken her eyes off the space on her left.

Ae Ra waited for Jiyong’s answer to interpret, but Jiyong said. “She’s asking you, not me.”

“What? Me?” She turned to Mrs. Kwon. “You meant what am I gonna do now, Mrs. Kwon?” She pointed to herself.

“Yes.” She offered another warm smile. “I know there’s nothing much Jiyong can do now, other than wait for some miracle happen and he will come back to us.” She smiled sadly at the space next to her - where she thought Jiyong was. “But how about you?”

“I’m trying to contact my sister, and then maybe try to settle here. I still have to continue my original plan coming here.” Ae Ra said. “But I also cannot neglect Jiyong-ssi, since now I am the only one can acknowledge his presence and listen to him, I’ll try to accompany him until he comes back to you.” She smiled at Jiyong. “I’ll visit him once per day, and talk with you on behalf of him. He needs that too.”

“Thank you.” Both Jiyong and Mrs. Kwon said at the same time. “Tell him oma is always here for him.”

“He can hear you Mrs. Kwon.” Ae Ra said. “It’s just no one can hear him though.”

“But you can.” Both Jiyong and Mrs. Kwon said at the same time, making Ae Ra shy for some reason.

“I should let you rest, you look tired.” Mrs. Kwon said concernly. “It’s been hours. Thank you so much, for everything.” She squeezed her hands. “For now, please have an eye on my boy.”

Ae Ra could only nod.

“Jiyong ah.” Mrs. Kwon said to the empty space on her left side again. “Stick around Ae Ra ok, so that mom won’t have to be worried where are you. When God forgives for your faults, come back to us. Oma will take care of you.” She wiped another tear.

“He said yes.” Ae Ra announced. “He looks like a guilty boy.” She smiled.

“Okay, I’ll leave now.” Mrs, Kwon left the room, with Jiyong still watched closely at her back, even after the door was closed.

When he decided that his emotions were alright, he turned back to Ae Ra. Surprisingly, she already closed her eyes, deep in her sleep.

“She must be tired.” Jiyong murmured, remembering how long their conversation was. “Thank you so much, for today. I’ll stick around you from now, it seems. Rest well.” He said quietly, went back to his usual spot - the couch - where he would watch her sleeping for a whole day.