Twenty-four

If You Were Not A Dream

“How are things with Seungri recently, Nara?” Ae Ra asked without looking up from the pile of documents she was reading intently. They were revising The S’s business for the past year to find a better way for the company’s future improvement.

 

“Same old unnie.” Nara replied nonchalantly, flipping a page from the report in her hand. “We sold many clutches last year it seems.”

 

“Clutch designs are good, that’s why.” Ae Ra smirked, since most of their clutch designs were from Ae Ra. “Why? Self-esteem is more important than romance now?” She frowned while circling a number. “Check this number Nara, its weird.” She gave the paper to Nara and went on with the next one.

 

Nara also frowned after taking the file. She briefly glanced at Ae Ra before grunting and picked up the telephone and started dialing some numbers. “You were never here for the past 3 years but always managed to point out where were the flaws in the reports. Why can’t I do that?” She mumbled. “Soo Jin, please come to my office.” She talked to the phone, asking for her secretary.

 

“That’s called details, kids.” Ae Ra laughed softly, ruffling her beloved sister’s hair. After waiting for Nara to talk with her secretary, Ae Ra spoke up again. “Hey, stop being too sensitive, you. Cut the guy some slack.”

 

“What are you talking about?” Nara ignored Ae Ra’s obvious topic, set aside her report and aimed for the next ones but not before Ae Ra stopped her.

 

“Has your problem with Seungri been solved yet?” Ae Ra asked sternly. “You are practically be with me 24/7 these days, why? Don’t you have a fiance? Aren’t you guys supposed to be excited and stupidly in love by now?”

 

“Are you getting bored with me?” Nara pretended being hurt but Ae Ra knew better, she’s just being ignorant. “You’re gonna be gone in a next few days, and your new house isn’t done decorating yet, don’t you need a hand?”

 

After finding out about Seungri, Ae Ra felt uneasy to stay at that apartment which “Nara’s fiance” had prepared for her, so she left and found another place to stay. This time she decided to settle in a real house instead, and they’ve been moving and re-adjusting life in that little place for 2 weeks now. For all the time, Nara was with her, days and nights, breakfasts, lunches and dinners. She even had a room full of Nara’s belongings now, in which she doubted that the rest was at Seungri’s place.

 

“Don’t touch anything while I’m not here, I warn you.” Ae Ra glared. Nara’s decoration was exactly opposite to her taste, so….. “I am just tired of hearing you guys bickering over phones every single day and night.” Ae Ra mumbled, grabbed the next folder instead. “I think, this time you’re overreacting Nara. I already told you, this is not problem with him. It’s me….”

 

“Ok, even so, why can’t he just apologize to you honestly?” Nara cut in, annoyance was evident in her voice. “All I need from him is an apology, to show that he’s serious about this, about me and him, unnie.” Nara’s voice suddenly turned sad. “I don’t know, I feel like he is having a second thought about a marriage with me.”

 

“Hey….no….” Ae Ra felt guilty for bringing Seungri’s issue up now. She set the files down and scooted closer to her sister, put an arm around her shoulder and squeezed lightly. “Don’t think like that ok? Just...give him time.”

 

“But…..I’m curious unnie.” Nara said after a while of being silent. “About Jiyong oppa.”

 

“What...about him?” Ae Ra startled with Nara’s sudden change of topic.

 

Jiyong was what Ae Ra always avoided talking about with Nara, and thank God her sister never questioned her anything about her time with Jiyong before, not until now. She guessed it was before her mind was too occupied with the current situation with Seungri to even think about other things. But she knew sooner or later, she had to face Nara’s question soon. Based on what she overheard from Nara’s conversations with Seungri, her sister was pretty close with Jiyong.

 

“Did anything happen between you and Jiyong oppa?”

 

“What? No!” Ae Ra denied immediately. Well, technically, nothing. She wasn’t even sure if he remembered her face at all. “Wait…..” Ae Ra asked cautiously, scared that what she was fearing might be true. “Did you.... talk with him? I mean….Jiyong…..”

 

“Not yet.” Nara shrugged. “Seungri makes me hate all of them right now. He said all of them agreed that you should have not stayed by Jiyong’s oppa side before.”

 

“Not really.” This time Ae Ra shrugged. She played with her pencil, staring at it with an unfocused gaze. “I didn’t meet Seunghyun that much. Daesung, he was nice enough. Youngbae…..”

 

“He kept calling me these days, but I ignored him.” Nara grunted. “From what I assumed, he treated you just as bad as Seungri, didn’t he?”

 

“No….” Ae ra said weakly. “Nara, don’t….you cannot be like this.”

 

“Tell me now, unnie.” Nara suddenly turned serious. “You told me that you would tell me everything one day, but I never heard anything. I have so many questions but I’m afraid asking them would hurt you. But I’m really worried for my relationship with Seungri now, too. I need to know the story from both sides. Can you explain things further for me?”

 

“Alright.” Ae Ra didn’t know what to say after her sister’s honest plea. “What do you wanna know?”

 

“Exactly what happened?”

 

“It’s not much different from what you already know. After waking up from the accident, I found out that Jiyong was still in his coma, and he kept being so for months. I somehow felt guilty for being the living one in the  accident, while he laid there, couldn’t talk, couldn’t eat, couldn’t laugh, couldn’t live normally.” Ae Ra started slowly. “So even though I knew it would help nothing, I just thought I should take care of him or at least pay a visit to him often, until he woke up......Apparently, my existence caused an uneasy feeling for people around Jiyong, so….things were awkward. Yeah, I got into some serious troubles like reporters and some crazy fans, but….”

 

“Why did you still stay by his side even so unnie?” Nara asked, genuinely confused. “I know you’re a good person, but, that accident was no one’s fault. You didn’t have to feel guilty…”

 

“If you were me, could you say the same?” Ae Ra said sharply. “It’s not that I want you to experience what I did, but, we should be understanding whenever we could for everyone.”

 

Nara shut up, her eyes showed her sorry.

 

“All Seungri did to me was just a few of harsh words, that’s all. And that was because he loved and cared about Jiyong too much, exactly what’s happening between you and Seungri right now. Why are you so mad with him? Because he hurt me, and because you love me, right?”

 

Nara reluctantly nodded. “When anything you said was wrong anyway….” She mumbled.

 

Ae ra smiled. “See? Be understanding, Nara. You would never know what future might hold.”

 

“But, you still haven’t answered my question unnie.” Nara spoke stubbornly. “How about Jiyong oppa? Does he know anything about this?”

 

“If there’s one person you should not be mad at.” Ae Ra said slowly, focused on the paper in her hand again and avoided Nara’s gaze. “That should be him. He was unconscious the whole time, and after he woke up, I left. So….”

 

“Does he even know about you?” Nara narrowed her eyes.

 

“Not really, I guess. We didn’t talk that much anyway. I only came to visit him one last time before I left Korea, and he just barely awake at that time.” Ae Ra acted like she was more interested in what that report was saying than their conversation. “I’m serious Nara, solve your problem with Seungri. If he’s not that comfortable to face me, yet, let him be.”

 

“But….” Nara’s protest was cut off by her phone. She glanced at it before mumbling, “Just because unnie said I should not be mad at you…..” and picking up the call, “Yes, oppa?”

 

Ae Ra stopped reading the paper, glancing briefly at her sister. “I don’t know, he’s an idiot, yes…..” She heard Nara pouted and said in a small voice, drawing undefined lines on the draft she used for taking notes. “....it’s been 2 weeks. All we did is just arguing. I’m tired oppa….”

 

Jiyong? Ae Ra thought uneasily. She was about to escape the room, but Nara’s next words stopped her. “Dinner? With unnie?” She glanced at Nara right at the time her sister looked back at her. “You wanna meet my sister?”

 

Ae Ra widened her eyes before violently shook her head, repeatedly mouthed furiously “No!”

 

“Why? Yes, he was disrespectful to my sister, but….” Nara ignored Ae Ra and went on protesting loudly. “....Jiyong oppa! That is something Seungri should do by himself, not you!”

 

Ae Ra winced.

 

“Hey….” She tried to call out but to no avail since Nara continued talked heatedly with Jiyong now.

 

“No you don’t understand oppa.” Nara said curtly. “People keep saying you spoiled me too much, but I think it’s Seungri you’re spoiling. This is his problem, if he doesn’t know how to make it right, let him figure it out by himself.” She shot her look at Ae Ra again. “But if you want, just a normal dinner with you is alright. Just see it as I’m gonna introduce my sister to you.”

 

Ae Ra was about to protest again, but again, Nara’s next reply to whatever Jiyong was saying sent her off immediately.

 

“Hye Young-ssi? Alright…. ” Nara said carelessly, a hint of annoyance in her voice. “What? Oppa, even though I’m your beloved princess, forgive me for not being able to be your girlfriend’s best friend.”

 

Girlfriend?

 

“You wanna talk to unnie? Alright, she’s right here….” Still dazed, Nara startled when Nara gave her her phone. “Jiyong oppa wanna talk to you unnie.”

 

“No I….can’t…..” Ae Ra said stiffly and left the room before Nara could mutter out her protest.

 

Nara was surprised with her sister’s sudden leave. “Oppa….I’ll talk to her, don’t worry. When and where oppa?”

 

“Alright, I’ll text you the place and time later.” Jiyong was taken aback when he heard Nara’s sister's refusal to talk with him. Maybe Nara’s sister was really...scary and that was why Seungri was that trouble?

 

“Oppa….” Jiyong heard Nara’s tentative call. “Can I ask you something?”

 

“Sure, what’s up?” It was true that whenever it was about Nara, he would spoil her as much as he could. “My princess needs something?”

 

“Do you know who is my sister?” Her unsure voice made him frown. Was there something he should know?

 

“Err…..no?” Jiyong answered back as much unsurely. “Is she someone I know? Or should have?”

 

“Shin Ae Ra, do you know that name?”

 

 

“Shin Ae Ra?” Jiyong said slowly. “You’re Shin Nara, and your sister is Shin Ae Ra?”

 

“I don’t know if telling you this is the right thing, but I think….” Nara mumbled. “Your accident 3 years ago, when you go into a coma for nearly a year…” She said in a clear voice. “The other driver, that was my sister.”

 

Jiyong asked in somewhat a broken voice, like he was in some utter disbelief. “W-what?”

 

“My sister said so. Also Seungri…” Nara sighed. “I guess, yeah, it’s unbelievable right?”

 

“But….what does Seungri have to do with this?” Jiyong asked confusedly. “I don’t understand.”

 

“I told you oppa, this is my problem with him, not yours.” Nara sighed. “Anyway see you later, I have to go. Ah, my sister is busy this weekend, so maybe next week alright?” Nara ended the call quickly before Jiyong could protest.

 

“Wait Nara!” Jiyong groaned when Nara already hung up. This newfound information was too much for him, he needed to know more detail. The accident 3 years ago, there’re many things he wanna know about the time he’s losing conscious but didn’t have time to actually ponder about that.

 

Jiyong’s phone rang, and he glanced at it before quickly picking up. “Hey…..”

 

“Hey….” Hye Young greeted him back awkwardly, since the last time they talked was 2 weeks ago, and that was a heated argument between them. “What are you doing tomorrow’s night? Can we have dinner?” She asked tentatively.

 

“Can’t.” Jiyong replied with a sigh. “I’m gonna go to Paris tonight.”

 

“Oh…..” Hye Young sounded pretty disappointed. “Maybe we can meet after that?”

 

“Sure.” Jiyong shrugged. “I was about to talk to you anyway. I’m setting up a dinner with Nara and her sister. I think maybe next weekend. Can you go with me?”

 

“Nara? And her sister?” Hye Young was taken aback. “What for?”

 

“Just having a normal dinner.” Jiyong raked a hand through his hair and messed it carelessly.

 

“I mean dinner with just two of us, Jiyong.” Hye Young sounded annoyed. “I already told you…..”

 

“Not again, please.” Jiyong tiredly cut in. “What is wrong between the two of you? Both are not so excited to meet the other.” He said angrily. “But at least Nara still agreed about this dinner, meanwhile you….”

 

“Then why even bother to want us to meet more often?” Nara also cut in angrily. “Jiyong, again, as I asked many times, what is Nara to you? Why do you always….”

 

“Can you stop?” Jiyong growled. “I don’t wanna have another fight with you. Talk to you later.” He then hung up abruptly, leaving Hye Young nearly screaming out because of frustration.

 

Jiyong sadly and angrily threw his phone to the end of the sofa he was laying on, mumbling “ this…” and tiredly closed his eyes, his hand rested on the forehead. His mind drifted back to where he and Hye Young was 2 weeks ago.

 

“Why would you want me to publish our relationship?” He asked with a hint of exhaustion. He had a long day with works and all, he thought when he went back to the confine of his apartment, he could rest finally. Seeing Hye Young was there, he was glad, since her presence was always made him at ease. But, apparently, not this time.

 

“Why not?” She gently asked back, but he could feel she was trying to coax him. “We’ve been together for almost a year now, what is wrong with letting people know about us? What keeping you Jiyong?” She pressed, firmly but persuasviely.

 

“I asked you why, tell me the reason, then I can consider.” From the moment he walked into his apartment, he knew right away something was up. She had this determined face which always resulted him into doing whatever she wanted. It’s not like Hye Young was a demanding girlfriend. She was a great girlfriend, but there were two things she always made Jiyong feel so...uncomfortable and annoyed everytime she brought them up.

 

One, Hye Young wanted everyone in Korea and the world to know that, Jiyong was taken, by her.

 

Two, Hye Young disliked, and maybe even disapproved Jiyong’s close relationship with Nara.

 

Both things tired Jiyong everytime she talked about it, and he always avoided these topics as much as he could.

 

“I told you many times Hye Young, there is no need to publicize our relationship. You don’t wanna face the media and my fans.” He reminded her, thinking hard what made her brought this out again to talk. Hye Young only talked about this when there was some stupid tabloid talked about a false rumor of him with some girl out there.

 

“I don’t wanna hear that lame excuse again Jiyong.” Hye Young sighed, followed him into his bedroom. “If people know you’re already in a serious relationship, those girls won’t….”

 

“What do you expect? I am a celebrity, of course I have fans!” He snapped, tossing his jacket on the bed and went on removing his watch. “I’m tired, let’s not talk about this ok?”

 

“No! You keep avoiding whenever I talked about this!” Hye Young protested. “I don’t get why you’re so adamant about this? I told you I don’t care about the media and your fans and whatever. I can handle that. So….”

 

“Damn it!” Jiyong forcefully threw his thousands-or-maybe-millions Rolex on his carpet floor, then he turned to face her. “What is it this time? Am I talked about on some stupid article with some girl I don’t even remember or even know her name again?” He asked her. “Tell me, then I’ll explain.”

 

“No, I don’t need explanation anymore”! Hye Young also got angry, raising her voice. “I need some real action. Are you afraid of losing your fans? Or your company forbid their artists to date? Why is it so hard for you to say “Hey I have a girlfriend”? Jiyong, please, I need to feel secured and….”

 

“Secured?” He retorted. “Are you saying that you’re insecure about us now?”

 

“Yes!” Hye Young groaned. “Everytime you go out, I’m worried. Not just your fans, other celebrities….”

 

“What did I say to you when I ask you to be my girlfriend, Hye Young?” Jiyong cut in, his voice turned serious and angry, but calmly. “I told you this wouldn’t be normal. I told you being with me wouldn’t be easy. I told you being with me would mean dates in secret, meals in secret, movies in secret, every ing single thing would be in secret. You said you understood, and accepted that. Don’t you remember?”

 

“But it’s been one year! Who would date in secret for more than a year? Do you know that is such a very bad way to treat your girlfriend?”

 

Jiyong watched Hye Young threw her arms here and there to express her fury with him, her eyes even teared up. Cursed inwardly, he quickly grabbed his jacket on the bed and left the room.

 

“Jiyong? Jiyong!”

 

He ignored Hye Young’s yell and walked faster, leaving his apartment in a flash.

 

That argument hadn’t been solved yet, now she also brought Nara issue up.

 

He was too tired for these s.

 

“Yah! Wake up!” His manager barked into the studio. “Your flight is in 4 more hours, why are you still here? Go back and change, quick! I’ll pick you up in 1 more hour.” His manager said before leaving abruptly.

 

Groaning, Jiyong lifted himself off the couch, grabbed the key and left his studio.

 

____

 

La promenade planteé, Paris

 

Ae Ra slowly walked onto the famous planted path in Paris, inhaling the crispy and intoxicating smell of late winter. Spring is coming, but the cold was still here, imprinted waves of chill winds to her skin. Tightening her coat, Ae Ra started climbing to walk on the bridge.

 

Hands dipped deeply inside its pockets, Ae Ra absentmindedly looked down to the street below. It was a dull and freezing late afternoon, there were not so many people out there, at this time, in this weather, minus some couples who were walking yet cuddling warmly next to each other.

 

Ae Ra smiled. Seeing lovers in Paris or London always made her smiled and envy because of their sweet and passionate love. They would hug, cuddle, kiss and even make out in public freely as if there was nothing exists around them anymore, just them, lost in their own world, giving each other the fullest attention.

 

She and Jiyong was once like that. Used to.

 

Taking her eyes off the kissing couple below, Ae Ra continued with her walk. When she diverted her eyes back to the path, she stopped walking.

 

Is this a dream?

 

He was there, at the other side of the bridge, also standing there, hands dipped in his pockets.

 

 

He was looking at her.

 

 


 

 

________

Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

First, it's Lunar New Year here now, and since we celebrate it, HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone! 

Second, here is info about La promenade planteé :) I read about it the other day in this book, and :D

Pretty right?



so, this is the bridge in the last scene of this chapter



the trees and weather may look like this 

and Jiyong, I imagined he would be somehow like this (but less noticeable lmao but srl, this picture is awesome dont you think?)

lmao i hope you guys can imagine the scene >.<

Anyway, i'm sorry for this late update. again -__- with preparations for the lunar new year celebration from work to my house, i had no spare time T___T I'll try to be back soon ^^ argh i wanna write so so much. the ideas keep flooding, and i need time to write them down, edit them and arrange them to fit the story. 

thank you guys so so much for all the comment and support. please give me some thoughts about this chapter. i had to think hard about Jiyong & Ae Ra's very first re-encounter TT___TT i know i said the other half of the story already written, but, i realized what i wrote maybe wont be suitable anymore xD maybe i will save them for another story later. right now i have other ideas for this one :) but i dont know if you guys ok with the story so far :/ 

why did Jiyong and Ae Ra both went to Paris? hehe  

it's 2AM here /yawn/ i have to sleep /yawn/

night lovelies <3

Rosie.