05

For the Thrill of the Fall

My boss leaves the room smiling at me like she’s done something magnificent for me. But it’s not like she knew she was basically setting up a situation that will cause catastrophic outcomes.


Maybe this would finally be the chance to learn how to use self control because apparently I’m lacking a great deal of it.


Baekhyun’s cell phone rings and he answers it right away. “Hi Minkyung,” he says and I immediately block out his conversation with his wife to be. Ever since the conversation with Chanyeol, I can’t help but feel dirty and wrong. The fact that Baekhyun is staring at me as he talks to his fiancé is also a little bothersome.


As I’m blocking out everything Baekhyun is saying through the phone, I glance around his office. I’ve never actually been inside of it before. I’ve never actually had a real reason to. I just knew it that it’s at the back of my floor and that his door is always open; which is one of the reasons we’ve never had in it before because all of his coworkers are used to his door being open and it would kind of be obvious what would be going on if his door was closed. It could possibly be the reason why we’ve never been caught before.


He has the same picture Chanyeol has on his desk, a picture from his college graduation, and one with his parents and brother. There’s also a substantially larger picture of him and Minkyung in a fancy glass frame on his desk. She’s pretty, I think. I’ve never seen a picture of her and it’s strange finally putting a face to her name and I only feel guiltier about our whole affair.


He hangs up the phone, but not before telling his fiancé he loves her. The phrase makes me a little sick to my stomach now because every time I tell Jongin I love him it feels so wrong. It’s not that I don’t love him; it’s just that this kind of thing isn’t what a loving wife does. Telling him that I love him isn’t a lie; it’s just not right. Same goes for Baekhyun.


I wonder if I’ll ever be able to tell Jongin that I love him without feeling so guilty about it.


I snap out of my reverie when Baekhyun speaks.


“Pack light. I’d rather not waste time checking in luggage. I’ll have my friend Chanyeol take us to the airport, so there's no need to worry about a ride there.”


“I met Chanyeol earlier,” I say, completely disregarding the rest of what he said. I take a seat in front of his desk.


“Did you?” he asks, propping his hand under his chin.


“It seems he already knew who I was.” I have to bite my tongue in order to prevent myself from snapping at him.


“Oh don’t be so upset. I was caught. He just happens to be so overly observant… It’s not like Hyosung doesn’t know about us either.”


“Well at least Chanyeol treats me better than Hyosung treats you,” I say standing up and leaving his office.


“It’s okay, you can be upset. The is ten times better when you’re mad at me.”


I turn around to glare at him, and catch him smirking at my . “Never again, Baekhyun. The supply closet was the last time,” I say harshly under my breath.


“I’m not coming in for work tomorrow, so I’ll see you tomorrow when we pick you up,” he says, with a wink.


I roll my eyes as I quickly walk out of his office. How is he not feeling the tremendous amount of guilt I was feeling? It’s practically eating away at my soul.


I collapse into my office chair and stare at the post it my boss left on my computer screen. It was stapled to a plane ticket. ‘Have a nice flight!’


“New York, eh?” Hyosung says.


“Yeah, apparently my report earned me this. Although I’d really rather not go.”


“I’ll go for you,” Hyosung eagerly says.


“Hell no, this plane ticket is first class,” I say smirking down at the plane ticket.


“Well make sure you lock your hotel room with the dead bolt and under no circumstances let that man into your room, okay?”


“Yes ma’am.”


***
 

I come out of the shower to find Jongin back from his usual night run. He’s on the bed shirtless with sweat glistening in all the right places. He looks up and smiles at me sweetly. All too much a combination that leaves me weak in the knees.


“Hey beautiful,” he says standing up. He pecks me on the cheek as he makes his way to the bathroom to shower.


He really has never failed to make me feel beautiful even in ratty pajamas and a bare face: Things that Baekhyun isn’t capable of doing. He’s never seen me in my truest form and he never will. And that’s what separates him from Jongin.


I fall onto my bed and mentally scold myself for having to constantly compare them to each other; as if I’m choosing between the two or something. But that isn’t what I’m doing. I have someone. I’ve chosen someone already. I don’t need to be comparing the two.


At least that’s what I’m trying to convince myself.


Jongin comes out of the bathroom smelling like Axe body wash and my hair conditioner.


When I first caught him using my conditioner he was totally embarrassed but claimed that he had to keep his hair shiny and healthy. I on the other hand just thought it was cute that he was embarrassed about using hair products.


When he lies on the bed, he turns on his side and watches me play Candy Crush on my phone with a wide smile.


“What are you so happy about?” I ask keeping my eyes on the tiny screen in my hands.


“Do you remember Kyungsoo’s beautiful wedding?”


“Yes…” I can already see where this is going.


“Well I was able to book the same wedding planner that planned his wedding. Apparently she owed him a favor and she’s giving us her services at a discounted price.” I want to laugh at his enthusiasm. It almost seems like he’s going to be a bridezilla.


“We don’t need a wedding planner, Jongin. I’m pretty sure I am more than capable of planning my own wedding.”


“I’m not saying you’re not capable. It’s just easier for you if someone’s there to help you throughout the way. Besides, she’s already made an appointment for you to try on dresses at the one and only Kleinfeld dress shop.”


I put my phone down and stare at him in shock. “Isn’t that the boutique that’s on Say Yes to the Dress?” I ask feeling excitement spark inside. He nods his head with an arrogant face. “Isn’t it in New York though?”


“Well, you are flying out there tomorrow and your meeting is on Friday, so your dress appointment is tomorrow night.”


“I have to try on dresses by myself?” I say with a frown. Sure, it’s exciting going to a fancy wedding dress shop, but what’s the fun of trying on dresses with only the staff’s opinion and your own.


“Bring that guy that’s flying out there with you, I don’t know. It’s not like you’re actually buying a dress. It’s more of a trial thing, you know? Plus, I am not sending you to New York with my credit card in tow.”


I ignore the fact that he suggested bringing the man I was currently having an affair with to go wedding dress shopping with me and focus on the fact that Jongin was going to pay for my wedding dress.


“You’re buying my wedding dress?” Tingles run through my veins at the thought of actually finding the perfect dress and not having to worry about the cost.


“Well, yes. That is what grooms do. They drop ten grand on a dress that they’ll see only once in their life. But I presume it’ll all be worth it when I see you walk down the aisle.”


“I would never spend ten grand on a dress.” I can hear Jongin let out a relieved sigh. “Although, five grand I can definitely work with,” I say with a smirk.


***

I would be lying if I said that I wasn’t excited about finally planning my wedding. I knew I was apprehensive about this whole wedding thing, but it’s finally become clear to me that I can’t possibly ruin something that I’ve been waiting for since I was a little girl. I’m finally going to have my perfect wedding and there is no way I am going to let Baekhyun get in the way of that.


I walk out of my house and see Chanyeol waiting out front in his huge Suburban with Baekhyun in the passenger seat. Before I make my way over, I hear the door open and Jongin kisses me goodbye once again. And I know Baekhyun is watching.


“Have a safe flight, babe,” he says placing another kiss in my lips. I’m thankful that he lets me carry my luggage to the car myself because if he did that would mean that him and Baekhyun would have to meet each other and that was just something that I will probably never be ready for.


I get into Chanyeol’s large car after placing my luggage in the trunk.


“Why do you have such a big car, Chanyeol?” I ask before even saying hi to the two.


“I like taking all of my friends out on roadtrips. …and little cars scare me. This car may be a gas guzzler, but it is definitely safe.”


I shake my head at him and laugh as I buckle my seatbelt and stare at the back of Baekhyun’s chair. I had strategically placed myself there because there was no way of seeing Baekhyun from where I’m sitting; which meant I was able to avoid any view of his cocky smirks during the whole car ride.


The rest of the car ride is quiet besides the loud rap music the Chanyeol likes to listen to. I’m thankful for this because it gave me time to prepare for all of the alone time I was about to spend with Baekhyun.


When we arrive at LAX, Chanyeol dumps us at the drop of section of the airport and I am finally left with the person I really didn’t want to be with at the moment. Or ever really.


After two hours of waiting in lines and going through airport security we are finally in our seats on the plane. First class is definitely better than I thought it would be even if I did have to spend a six hour flight next to someone I was trying to avoid, but the seats are definitely comfy enough to be asleep in for six hours straight. The only problem is that I’m not the least bit tired.


“You’ve barely spoken a word to me the whole time we’ve been at the airport, you know,” Baekhyun says while fastening his seatbelt.


“I know,” is all I say, as I prop my head against the window. Baekhyun actually had the window seat but I placed myself in front of him in line so that I could get to it first. 


“I know you want to end this thing that we’ve been doing, but it doesn’t mean you have to turn into a brick wall around me now.”


Really?” I ask turning my head to face him, suspicion dripping off my voice.


“Really what?" He leans his head back against the head reast and returns my stare.


“You’re really okay with us ending this thing?”


“Well, yeah I guess," he replies nonchalantly. 


“That’s it? An ‘I guess’?”


“Did you want some crazy fight or a weird confession? This isn’t some romantic comedy. It’s real life. Things happen… and then they stop.”


It bothers me that Baekhyun is so unscathed by the situation and it bothers me even more that I’m bothered by it. But then again he wasn't wired like girls were. Girls feel everything ten times more than guys do and it’s not fair, but I guess, like he said, that’s life.


He shifts around in his seat and scrunches his lips to the side. "So I take it we're not joining the mile high club today."


I roll my eyes and ignore his comment and resume my position back against the window.

 

Hey guys (◕‿◕✿) I've finally graduated high school! :D I've been really busy with graduation and planning for college and stuff but I'll finally be free from all of that stress soon. I'm going to grad night tomorrow, which is at Disneyland :) (A place that exo has stepped on with their very own feet.... (¬_¬))

Speaking of Exo, I'm in love with their new album and it's the only thing I've been listening to this past week. I'm still waiting for their drama version of the video to come out... I don't know what's taking SM so long but I presume I should just busy myself with updating this fic lol