14

For the Thrill of the Fall

I’ve known Baekhyun long enough to know what’s coming.


This was his trademark.


Locking the door and trapping me in a very uncompromising situation.


I glance up at him tentatively and notice that the hunger that’s usually there in his dark eyes is absent. In fact, his eyes are the opposite. They’re bright and almost joyful. He’s relaxed and his hands are stuffed in his pockets. He doesn’t seem like he’s going to pounce at me at all.


I’m relieved, but also somewhat disappointed.


“Um, what are you doing?” I ask, trying to be the bigger person in the situation.


“I miss you,” he blurts out. His eyes are carefully watching mine as if he’s looking for an honest reaction in them. Probably because he knows I would never admit it back to him myself.


“Bae-“


“Listen, okay?” he cuts in and I remain quiet and let him talk even though everything about this situation is sending up red flags. “You told me to fix my relationship with Minkyung because you were afraid that you loved me back right?”


He says it so flat out and I’m rendered speechless. I didn’t think it was that obvious. I can tell Baekhyun’s trying to hide the smirk that’s growing on his face and it’s somewhat irritating yet endearing at the same time. It’s like he’s glad that I love loved him back.


“You don’t need to say it, but… if you feel the same way, then I think we should do something about it. Before it’s too late.” I know exactly what he’s trying to say, but I don’t let myself reply. My brain and my heart were thinking two different things and I don’t know which ones controlling my mouth at the moment.


“Leave Jongin,” he says and my mind completely goes blank. I knew this was what he was implying this whole time, but hearing it just made it seem a hundred times worse. “Call off the wedding and run away with me. We can move across the country and-“


“Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down Baekhyun,” I practically breathe out. “I-I can’t- You can’t- I just…” Everything’s moving too fast and I retreat to the chair behind me before I faint from all the dizziness in my head. “This is really coming out of nowhere Baekhyun… I’m getting married in two months.”


“I know you are, but I’ve been thinking about this during all this time we’ve been avoiding each other. Everything’s totally fixed with Minkyung but-”
 

“But what, Baek?” I say sternly standing up. “Everything’s fixed. You can’t just do this to me, so close to my wedding. It’s not an easy thing you’re asking me to do here. I can’t just plan a whole wedding with someone that I’ve loved for ten years and run off with someone that I’ve only loved-” I shut my eyes and realize I’ve just trapped myself in a situation I had no means being in. Baekhyun raises an eyebrow at me and I become immediately frustrated with myself.


“I do not now, nor have I ever loved you, Baekhyun,” I say taking a step closer to him, merely to prove a point and hopefully wipe off the satisfied smirk of his face. “Any feelings I’ve had toward you are all purely lustful and lustful only. What we did was completely wrong and adulterous, and I don’t know why we let it get so far, but what I do know is that there is no way we love each other. Our relationship has been purely and I’m sorry, but I don’t fall in love with people purely on the basis that they’re a good lay.” When I’m finished, Baekhyun is still smirking at me with his stupid lips.


“Are you done there, princess?” I want to smack him in the face for calling me something so pretentious, but at the same time, I strangely enjoy the term. We’ve never really ever used terms of endearment, although if you ask a player how to cheat, the first thing he’ll tell you is to always use nicknames to avoid getting caught. “Just give me one month.”


“What?”


“Just one month,” he says sticking his index finger up. “If you’re so sure all you feel towards me is lust, than give me a month. I just need a month to make you realize you’re in love with me.”


“Baekhyun, I can’t-”


“You can, you just don’t want to because you’re scared, right? You’re scared that I might be right and there might be a chance that you are in love with me and that you don’t want to break Jongin’s heart.”


The more I try to argue, the more I feel myself succumbing to his plans and the more frustrated I get by the fact that he’s right.


“What about Minkyung’s heart? Are you not seeing every side of this Baekhyun?” I try one last time.


“Of course I am. But what good would I be to Minkyung if she gets married to someone that doesn’t fully love her back. Don’t you owe it to Jongin to at least know you’re marrying him because you know he’s the one instead of marrying him because it was the easier way to go?”


It’s like he had a comeback to every point I could ever possibly make. I hate how persuasive Baekhyun is, but he did have a point. I look down to my shoes and feel the room getting smaller. I thought I was done with this.


“Just date me on the side for a month. It’s all I’m asking.” The term “cheating” has become so watered down for us that he can say things like this so easily. But I’ve changed. And it’s not as easy for me. Not when I have someone that’s always there for me and someone that trusts me as much as I trust them. It’s not as easy as it used to be.


“You’re basically asking me to cheat on my fiancé. Again.” Jongin’s face flashes in my mind. “And I, I don’t think I can do that again, Baek,” I say, with an apologetic look on my face as I brush past him and walk out his door.


But everything he’s said suddenly dawns on me and I hold onto the door behind me. If I did this, I would know for sure, that I was making the right decision. I wouldn’t have to live a life of regret, even if it meant that Jongin was happy. Jongin has every right to be happy, but so do I.


I inhale deeply and pop my head into Baekhyun’s office. He’s on his way back to his desk with his head drooped down and when I voice my agreement, his head springs up and he turns around with a smile on his face.


“Really?”


“Yeah, but I have conditions.”


“Ok, shoot,” he says leaning on the edge of his desk, with a smug look on his face.


“No .” His smirk falls. “And no kissing.” He jolts his head closer, as if he heard wrong.


“How this be considered dating if we can’t even kiss each other?”


“I already know what you have to offer in those departments. They don’t matter to me. You want to prove that you’re worth leaving Jongin for,” I say crossing my arms in a powerful manner. I was the one calling the shots now, and it felt good. “So prove it.”  

 

 

I'm only taking 12 units but I'm getting crushed under work, so I hope you can all bear with some time in between chapters... T^T