18

For the Thrill of the Fall

Day 14

Baekhyun and I don’t talk. At all.


We don’t even glance at each other if we’re walking past each other and Baekhyun doesn’t linger around Chanyeol’s office to wait for me in the mornings. We don’t ride the same elevators, we don’t even go into the supply room anymore, and Baekhyun’s door's always closed. No one around the office really notices anything different, but Hyosung sure does.


“Are you alright?”


I look up from my computer screen for a moment to see what Hyosung’s face looks like. Pity’s written all over it and I look back down. I see a similar expression on Luhan in the corner of my eye.


“I’m fine.” I immediately regret my choice of words. Fine was not the response people were looking for. The word “fine” is so vague and doesn't even mean the same thing anymore. I hate to be that person that uses it that way, but here I am.


“I know I never approved of you two, but if you genuinely think-”


“Jongin’s coming home today,” I interrupt, avoiding the topic.


Hyosung’s taken aback and I see her sigh in my peripherals. “Oh, that’s good.” Her voice is dejected and I know she wants to talk it out. She’s always been that way, but this is one of the times where I think silence is the best option.


* * *
 

“My flight got cancelled,” Jongin says as soon as I answer the phone. “I guess I won’t be home tonight…”


“What? Why?” I glance at Jongin’s side of the bed. I left the covers open for him for when he got home.


“There’s a storm here. And according to the forecast it’s here for a while… I would drive down, but apparently it’s not even safe enough to drive.”


“Oh,” I say, trying not to sound upset. “It’s fine, babe. Just come down when it’s safe. Whenever that is.”


“I’m so sorry. I’ll make it up to you I promise.”


“Just try and get here before the wedding, okay?” I say trying to lighten up the mood.


“I’ll see what I can do.” I can practically hear him smiling.


When we hang up I make his side of the bed again.


Day 31


The storms finally cleared up in San Francisco, but Jongin said they went ahead and got started on another project since he was already there. I was starting to actually worry if Jongin would make it to the wedding or not. There’s only one week left.


Maybe it’s better that he’s out of town. The house is always empty and I’m always longing for his presence. I think about Jongin a lot more nowadays. It’s rare when I’d end up thinking about… Nevermind.


But speaking of the devil, I like to think we’re on better terms now. We still don’t talk to each other or look at each other, but we’re able to ride the same elevator now. It was a little annoying waiting for another elevator just because we were uncomfortable. I don’t exactly know if being able to ride the same elevator constitutes better terms, but it’s definitely progress.


Hyosung never brings him up anymore and Luhan and Jongdae have actually become good friends of ours. My life has finally settled down and I think I like it this way. I don’t need a thrilling life if it means that I get to be safe.


I hear something outside while I watch my usual dramas in the living room. I peer at the window by the door, but the coast seems clear. I shrug it off and blame the storm. The storms Jongin was once dealing with had made their way down here.


There’s a thud on my door which causes me to flinch. I glance back at the window, but nothing is there. I tighten the blanket wrapped around me and try to focus on my television, but then there’s a knock on the door.


“There’s no way the wind made that noise…” I say to myself as I pause my drama. I unravel the blanket from my body and slowly approach the door. It was a Thursday night. Who on earth could be knocking at door? Jongin told me he would be coming home Monday.


I look through the peephole to see that no one’s at the door. A shiver runs down my spine as I slowly walk back to the couch. Maybe it was the wind…


I continue to watch my drama and try to forget about the strange noises. It’s quiet for about 5 minutes and I finally relax on the couch without worry.


There’s a louder knock on the door this time, and it had to be a person. I run to the kitchen and grab the biggest knife I can find and storm towards the door. I look through the peephole again and no one’s there. I open the door and step out peering left and right.


“Hello? Who’s there?” I ask aloud, with the knife still in my hand. No one’s anywhere near and I get more frustrated than I am scared. I close the door, locking both the doorknob and the deadbolt. If this was Jongin playing some prank, it wasn’t funny at all… He knows I don’t like getting scared at all. I don’t even watch horror movies.


I keep the knife on the coffee table in front of me just in case and try to continue to watch my drama again. Right when I’m about to press play, there’s a knock on the door again, and I quickly grab the knife and run to the door. I swing it open and brace the knife in my hand.


“I SWEAR TO GOD IF YOU- Wait, what…? Baekhyun?” I drop the hand holding the knife as I stare at a terrified looking Baekhyun. Not only is he soaking wet, but his eyes are bloodshot. Was he drunk?


“WHY DO YOU HAVE A KNIFE? Oh my god, it’s just me.”


“Were you the one making all that noise outside?”


“I only knocked on the door twice…” So the first two times was the wind… I sigh and place the knife down on the end table by the door. “What are you doing here, Baek?” I was especially in no mood to play any more games. Especially with him.


He’s quiet for a moment as he looks down at his shoes. “Minkyung… She… cheated on me…” His voice falters. “With Chanyeol.”


My eyes widen. “Oh my god, Baek, come in. It’s freezing outside. You can tell me everything in here,” I say, grabbing his arm and dragging him inside. Something in my gut tells me this is a bad idea, but I have a soft spot for sad people in the rain.


He takes off his shoes and jacket at the door and luckily his leather jacket protected the rest of his clothes from getting wet. He was still in his work attire. I run to my bathroom to grab a towel for his hair and when I come back, he’s still standing by the door, staring at his feet. I stop for a small moment and stare at him. He isn’t drunk at all.


He's crying.


I quickly guide him to the couch and wrap him with the blanket that I had used earlier. I rub his hair down with a towel to stop the dripping as he keeps his eyes on his lap.


“I’m sorry for knocking twice. I changed my mind about coming here, but then I realized I didn’t know where else to go…” His voice is low and scratchy. And I want to hug the pain away, but I keep my distance on the couch.


“It’s okay,” I assure him and lower the volume of the TV. I was going to pause it, but he would probably be more comfortable with background noise.


“I got home and I noticed shoes at the door. Shoes that weren’t mine, but they were way too familiar. Not only that, but there was a jacket on the couch: a jacket that definitely wasn’t mine. I never wear bright colors. I noticed her wedding ring was also on the table and that’s when I heard them. I knew all too well what was going on. I didn’t want to storm into the room and yell, so I just sat in the living room and waited for them to walk out. Sure, I heard more than I needed too, but that definitely beat seeing it happen with my own eyes. They said they’d been dying to do that for years and I don’t know why I didn’t just leave then…


“Minkyung walked out first with the brightest smile on her face. She was so happy. So was Chanyeol. Until they saw me of course. I don’t even know why I stayed that long. I just kind of stood up and walked out after they saw me. I guess it’s because I probably deserve it.”


“Don’t say that. Even if you did… cheat on her, it gives her absolutely no right to do it back to you. Especially with your best friend.”


Baekhyun sits up and buries his face in his hands. “I’m sorry for coming here. I know you probably don’t want to see me. I’ll just go book a hotel or something…” he says, standing up.


“No,” I plead, grabbing his hand before he walks out. “Stay.”


 

 

 

;~; sad baek makes me sad... stay tuned for the next chapter. Maybe it is or isn't what you think it is. I still haven't decided yet OTL

AND OMG MEGA SIDENOTE IM SEEING INFINITE TOMORROW IASDFGHJKLKJHGFDSASDFGHJKKJHGFDSASDFGHJ INFINITE WAS MY EXO BEFORE EXO SO THIS IS A BIG DEAL OK ;A; 

alright anyway, leave me some opinions so I can decide what I feel like doing to them next chapter lmao