04

For the Thrill of the Fall

I hop off the copy machine feeling more than frustrated with myself for giving into Baekhyun’s antics. I can’t fully blame Baekhyun though. Cheating on your soon to be husband has a lot of self blame.


I never knew that this kind of thing, if a thing is even the right word to call it, was so hard to stop doing. I love Jongin. He's my best friend and the love of my life. But why was I risking it all over spontaneous here and there? And it’s not like Baekhyun is the kind of person that you would think would cheat on his wife. So what was it? What on earth could cause two people that already have everything they need in a relationship to cheat? I need the answer. And somehow I feel as though I can’t stop until I find that answer. But maybe it’s actually finding the answer that I fear.
 

I hobble over to the other corner of the room and retrieve my missing left heel and quickly put it on. I try and smooth my hair out as much as possible and make sure that my shirt is properly tucked in.
 

I grab the copies out of the machine and leave the supply room without a single word to Baekhyun. I was allowed to be upset with him. He made me cave.
 

I make eye contact with Hyosung on my way to the elevator and she shakes her head at me with a dry laugh. It’s almost like she knew I couldn’t stop seeing him. Well, her assumptions were right. But I will never tell her that.  
 

Elevator rides are rather quick when there’s no in the air, I think on my way down to the first floor. I sigh. Will I ever be able to rid myself of him?


When I get to the first floor, I start passing out the packets I just had copied. They were contracts for the insurance agents to read and sign about the new cost estimates. I could just drop them off with the receptionists and have them deal with it, but I was really in no mood to see those girls and I figure I could waste time personally passing out the files to each agent. I really just need something to get my mind off of the strange parable I seem to be going through.


After only about twenty minutes of wasted time, I’m down to my last stack of papers and my last agent. His office door is open and he’s sitting at his desk blankly staring at the computer with one hand propping his chin up and the other mindlessly dragging the mouse around and clicking every so often.


He looks up when he notices my presence and drags his eyes back to the computer screen. And then he quickly does a double take that I am caught off guard by.


“Hey, do you mind closing the door behind you?” he asks with a deep voice that I don’t expect from his looks.


I’m apprehensive at first, but I oblige to his request and kick the door foot up, letting the door close on its own. “Um, these are the new estimates. You just need to read through them and sign the back page and fax it over to the third floor,” I say routinely. I want to turn around and leave his office, but I catch a framed picture on his desk. It’s of him and Baekhyun when they were probably only seven years old. They had their arms around each others’ shoulders with a toothy grin on their faces. Directly adjacent to it is a more recent picture of them doing the same pose. Cute, I think.


“He’s not as cute as he was back then, but I guess he’s still decent looking now,” the man says. I look at his nameplate on his desk. Chanyeol Park, it reads. “He talks about you a lot, you know.”


My eyes immediately shift up from his desk to his eyes.”Excuse me?” I already figured that this man must have been Baekhyun’s best friend, but there was no way… There was no way Baekhyun would have told him about me, about, about the things we’ve done.


He let out an almost content sounding sigh. “You know, I never thought I would actually meet Baekhyun’s mistress.” I feel blood rise to my cheeks at the word. I never even thought about the fact that was the proper term for me: A mistress. The word would forever be etched in my mind. Mistress. It sounded so disgraceful, shameful even. It sounded… cheap.  The word put a cheap taste in my mouth. That word itself seemed like more than enough reason to stop the so called affair.


I didn’t want to be known to Chanyeol as some cheap, dirty mistress, so I take a seat across from his desk. I didn’t even know why I felt such a strong need to even try and vouch for my actions. It’s not like this Chanyeol person is someone of direct importance in my life.


“Baekhyun… He told you?” I ask carefully.


He laughs. A laugh that doesn’t ease my situation at all, but it’s not a bad laugh. It’s more of a playful laugh. But it’s still off putting considering the current situation. “No, Baekhyun would never reveal something like that. He’s a really good secret keeper when he needs to be. I’ve never found out one of his secrets from his own mouth; only from others.”


Who told him then? The only person that knows is Hyosung and I know for a fact that she wouldn’t dare say a word about this to anyone. Besides, she doesn’t know anyone from the first floor.


“We went out for lunch about a month ago and I found your pantyhose on the passenger seat. Minkyung is definitely not a car kind of girl, so I knew something was up. And his car always smells like perfume and Minkyung never wears perfume because she’s allergic to fragrance, so there’s also that.”


It makes me slightly uncomfortable that he doesn’t seem to be even a little unfazed by the situation at hand. Especially since he’s obviously known Baekhyun’s fiancé longer than the five minutes he’s known me. Why wasn’t he ordering me to stop seeing his best friend like Hyosung had done to Baekhyun?


“I bet you’re wondering how I recognized you, right?” he asks, with an amused smirk on his face. Amused? Was this sort of ordeal fun for the boy? Seeing his best friend do something so scandalous? I want to reply with a no because I wasn’t wondering at all, but now that he’s mentioned it I might as well find out the answer. “He points you out every morning you guys happen to catch the same elevator ride. He’ll jog away from my seemingly interesting conversations just to be on the same elevator as you.”


This new knowledge concerns me. Baekhyun wasn’t actually developing feelings for me, was he? He couldn’t because it wouldn’t be right. Because we agreed with each other that we were solely and purely to be just buddies.


I feel sick and I want to punch myself in the face for letting this get so far. So far to the point that Baekhyun is actually developing feelings for someone that definitely, absolutely cannot develop feelings back. I can only hope that my read is false and that when we finally stop, the cut is clean and no feelings are hurt.


“Well, I have an appointment with a customer in five minutes, so uh; I hope you don’t mind, um, leaving?” Wow, Chanyeol is eloquent with words, I sarcastically think. I stand up and he stands up as well. I’m thrown off guard again by his basketball player height. He sticks out his hand and I slowly bring up my own and shake it. “It was nice meeting you,” he says with a wide grin. “I hope I didn’t startle you with this whole ‘another person knows about the affair’ thing.”


I chuckle. Chanyeol seems like a nice guy. “Don’t worry about,” I say, leaving his office.


When I hear the door close behind me, I realize why he had me close the door in the first place. Guess he’s more clever than he seems.
 

I quickly walk over to the elevator and head up to my usual floor. I need to talk to Baekhyun about Chanyeol. He could have at least told me that his friend knew. I didn’t need to find out from the actual friend himself.


I make sure to stay close to the wall, as not to pass to close by to Hyosung because I know she will stop me in my tracks and harass me about the supply closet and the destination I was currently headed to.
 

I don’t even bother knocking on his door, although it is already open, and practically barge into his office. I abruptly stop in my tracks when I see my boss standing across his desk.


Oh my god, I think. We’re caught. I’m going to be fired. People can’t get fired for committing adultery right? No they can’t… But my boss is a feminist. Does that mean she’s okay with free will and things like this? My mind’s spinning at a hundred miles an hour and it’s only when she finally speaks, that my mind is finally grounded.


“Oh, I was just about to call you in here.” I analyze her tone for any hints of anger or disappointment even. I lock eyes with Baekhyun and he doesn’t seem to be too fazed by her so it can’t be bad news ahead of me. “I’m not going to be able to make it to New York for a meeting and I need you to go in place of me. You had the best report out of everyone, so I decided you would be the best candidate to substitute for me.”


Oh, that’s not bad. That’s not bad at all. I actually feel quite pleased with myself.


But why was she in Baekhyun’s office?


“Also, you’ll be accompanying Mr. Byun there. Things are a bit different in New York so he can help you out while you’re out there. So it’ll probably be a good idea to get to know each other,” she suggests.
 

My stomach churns unpleasantly. Just when I thought that I could finally cut Baekhyun out of my life, something like this happens.


We’re going to be together. Alone. In a city. A city all the way across the country.


That can’t be good.


That can’t be good at all. 

 

 

 

I'm so excited for Exo's album to finally drop  ^o^ The preview of the album was amazing but I'm mostly excited for the full version of Baby Don't Cry ;~; 
I actually really like the whole wolf concept because it's extremely hot but it's also hilarious at the same time xD 

If I don't update before their comeback good luck everyone with seeing the mv and comeback stage! Hopefully you don't go into cardiac arrest like I probably will!