CRETE, BABY

Breathe in, Breathe out.

 

It’s as if time froze.

The words still echo in the kitchen, or at least my head.

 

”I like you.”

 

His eyes don’t flinch at all. Either he has the most hard core poker face I have ever seen, or he’s serious. I just stare at him and open and close my mouth like a fish. I wish to say something, but I’m not sure what. That’s when someone takes the words right out of my mouth.


”What’s going on here?” I tear my eyes away from Yoseob’s gaze and look at the kitchen entrance. ”Dad!” I gasp. Yoseob turns away from me immediately and gets out of his seat. My dad is just staring at him, like he’s some kind of alien. ”Hello! My name is Yang Yoseob. Nice to meet you!” Yoseob says and bows. My dad turns his head towards me and points at Yoseob and asks in english ”Is there something you’d like to tell me?” Yoseob turns his head slightly, clearly showing his confusion. I shake my head and answer in korean. ”Why are you here? I thought mom told you the house was buggified?” Dad shrugs and starts taking off his coat. ”I haven’t seen my daughter for days, and yet I’m expected to abandon her for a few more days because she’s sick. Some dad I am, huh. Oh by the way, I have someth- Hey kid, do you mind getting up? You’re kind of taking up all the space in the kitchen.” He taps Yoseob’s shoulder and Yoseob stands up quickly, kind of embarrassed. ”I’m sorry.” He says and throws a look full of longing and lust at the last pancake. ”I should... go.” He says and glimpses at me before he blushes, bows and walks out. I want to walk him out, but I don’t know what to say. ”Weird kid.” Dad says and sits down in Yoseob’s seat and starts digging in on the pancakes.

 

My dad eats the pancakes with such passion that anyone would think he hasn’t been fed for days. My dad’s food habits has always amazed me. He’s able to find pleasure in every little thing, in every little piece. He’s the complete opposite of mom who can’t enjoy anything if she hasn’t organized it or decided where it goes beforehand. Not a day passes that I don’t wonder how they ended up together. ”Your mother said that was the way it was gonna be, and you know how your mother gets when you argue.” That was what my dad always answered when I asked him as a kid. I gave up on getting the true answer a long time ago. ”Aaaahhh..” My dad moans and lets out a big burp as he leans back, rubbing his stomach. ”That, my dear Anita, were the best pancakes I have ever tasted. You ought to get sick more often.” I giggle. I decide not to tell him Yoseob made them. That would only remind him that there was a guy he had never med before in his kitchen just a couple of minutes ago, and I don’t want to have that talk just now. Instead, I decide to remind him of what he tried to tell me. ”You said you have something?” ”Ahh, yes. It was supposed to be a surprise, but I just can’t wait!” He grins and pulls out an envelope from his back pocket. ”Happy –late-birthday!” I roll eyes. My birthday was three months ago, but my dad hadn’t been around long enough to give me a proper present. His work had been real busy. I accept the envelope and sigh. ”No pony this year either? You’re the worst dad ev-” I interrupt myself as I open the envelope. Inside are four tickets to Jeju Island next weekend. My jaw drops, and before I know it I’ve started screaming like a little girl. ”DAD! YOU ARE THE BEST!” I say and throw myself around his neck. He laughs and pet my back. ”You’re welcome sweetheart. Go tell your friends they need to get ready.” I nod and run upstairs. As I climb the stairs I can feel the fever creeping back, but I don’t care.

 

I’m going to Jeju Freaking Island.

 

I call Sin Yeon first. She picks up instantly. ”Well?” She asks hopefully. ”How’s it goi-” ”WE’RE GOING TO JEJU! ME, YOU, HYO RIN AND MIN AH! JE. JU!” I don’t even bother trying to hide my excitement. The other line isn’t nearly as excited though. ”Hello?” I ask. ”You still there?” ”I’m here.” She answers. ”What do you mean we’re going to Jeju?” I can head Hyo Rin gasp in the background. That makes me smile. ”Dad’s late birthday present. He’s treating us to Jeju!” ”Wait.. How did you get that present?” Sin Yeon asks. ”What do you mean? Dad gave it to me of course. How else?” ”So... Your dad is there? Now?” ”Yeah... Why?” It’s as if I can hear Sin Yeon roll her eyes. ”What about Yoseob? What happened?” ”Oh that. Well, you see...” I stop myself. All of a sudden I remember the situation right before dad arrived. How we left it unfinished and awkward. ”Woops.” I say, and tell Sin Yeon everything. She starts screaming. ”REALLY? ANITA, LISTEN TO ME! GO FOR IT!” I distance the phone from my ear, but I can still hear the excited screams in the other end as Sin Yeon shares the story with the others. ”I...” I bite my lip. I need time to think. ”We’re leaving this Friday, in 4 days. Be sure you’re ready! 1pm at the airport. Alright?” I don’t wait for her reply. I know she’ll just stall the conversation.

 

I sit down on the bed and think about what happened. I replay the scene by the kitchen table a million times in my head and sigh. No matter how you look at it, there’s no way I misunderstood. I fall back on my bed and stare into the ceiling. I think about how I felt when he told me he liked me. No surprise, I was shocked because of the blunt confession, but I was also happy. Yes, happy. Relieved. Satisfied.

 

 I remember how it felt when I was at the fan meeting, and just his soothing look calmed me down. That had felt so safe and reassuring. I remember the tingling feeling in my stomach when he kissed me on my cheek after the stake out. How shy I’d been.

But I didn’t dislike it. I don’t dislike anything he’s done.

 

I bury my face in my pillow. ’What are you going to do, Anita? He’s a celebrity, and you’re nothing but a regular college student. Don’t dream too much.’ I sigh and crawl under the covers. It doesn’t take long until I’m asleep.

 

My lovely dream filled to the brim with robot unicorns and rainbows is interrupted by my phone ringing. I moan in agony and grab for it. The display shows 2am. What the hell, how long did I sleep...?My phone doesn’t recognize the caller. ”Hello?” I answer and yawn. ”Who is this?” ”Anita, this is Yong JunHyung. I’m outside your house. Can I come in?” 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone.

I'm really sorry for the lack of updates, I really am >< I have an excuse though, and I find it to be valid. 

I'm at Crete at the moment, and well.. The internet connection has been non existent. :P It's back now though, and I have a couple of chapters saved on my computer. A couple of changes still need to be made though, so I won't post them right away.

 

Anyway, I hope you liked the new chapter. :)