Awkward...

Twister

“It is.” Donghae said, a little louder, trying to make it seem like the truth. It was the truth. This was basically his own fault, and he would just have to try and forget about it. Easier said than done, but well, he’d done it before, hadn’t he?

Ryeowook narrowed his eyes, pursing his small mouth, which made his cheekbones stand out even more, and sort of made him look younger, before he opened his mouth once more. “No.  It isn’t. Don’t try to tell me it’s not important, because it is. This makes you feel bad, so it’s important. And, to be honest, this could be bad for our trip, which worries me slightly.” He looked down, a small frown on his face.

Donghae huffed a little, before picking up his mug to trace a finger around the rim. “What do you expect I’m going to do? Declare my undying love?” He snorted. “That really isn’t going to happen. He’s moved on, so I should too.” He swallowed a little, before going back to trace the rim lightly.

Ryeowook watched him, an eyebrow raised. “I never said that, Hae. I know you. You’ll just avoid him until you explode, and that’s really not going to work if we have two team leaders who won’t talk to each other.”

“Blame Teukie-hyung.” Donghae said sulkily. “He was the one who chose us. And he knows already that we’re not on the best of terms.” He glared childishly at Wookie, who rolled his eyes as he took another sip of the coffee.

“You know Teukie-hyung has people he has to answer to as well, hyung, don’t be stupid.”  Wookie shook his head. “I bet he didn’t want to do it, but this Eu-Eunhyuk, is it?”

“Hyukjae.” Donghae sighed. “That’s his real name. I don’t know where this ridiculous Eunhyuk came from.”

“Well, Eunhyuk-sshi is obviously the best man for the job, and Teuk is just trying to do what he thinks is right.” Ryeowook nodded. “I mean, what even happened between the two of you?” He looked up curiously. “It can’t be that bad.”

Donghae glanced at him from the corner of his eye. “I know what you’re trying to do. You’re trying to get me to tell you it is something and then you want me to tell you everything.” He sighed. “And I won’t. It isn’t anything.” Wookie rolled his eyes.

“The day I believe that is the day I start growing again.” Donghae snorted, trying not to smile at the dry little comment. He knew that all he was doing now was making Wookie even more curious by being vague, but he didn’t want to go into it. Talking about emotions was never fun, and he wasn’t the type to sit there and spill absolutely everything if it was as important as this was. Sometimes he wondered where the overly bubbly, happy Donghae had gone, the one who chattered and did stuff for the hell of it, but he supposed he’d disappeared with Hyukjae.

“Why are you so interested?” He asked, stalling for time. Wookie looked up at him.

“Hyung, you know as well as I do that I am as curious as…” He looked around, trying to find something he could compare his curiosity to. “As…the cat.” He smiled a little, and Donghae sniggered.

“But curiosity killed the cat, Wookie.” He countered.

“The cat is not the issue here.” Ryeowook answered tartly. “You’re avoiding the question, so I can only summarise that you did something really stupid.” He took a sip of his coffee and watched Donghae’s expression turn from slightly amused to pissed.

“I did not.” He said quickly. Ryeowook looked away, his whole posture radiating disbelief. “I didn’t do anything stupid… I didn’t cheat. I wasn’t the one who was off, running after tornadoes that could kill me. I wasn’t the one who nearly got killed all the time. I was the good one. I was the one who stayed back and did all the ing work and made sure that we got home safe. I didn’t do anything!” He wasn’t aware that he’d started to shout until he looked up and saw some of the other customers giving him admonishing looks, and he sank back down, pressing his fingers to his temples in embarrassment. “I’m sorry for yelling. No, I didn’t do anything stupid. I was just the one who broke up with him.” He clanked his cup against his teeth clumsily as he brought it to his lips, but he ignored that and drank steadily, refusing to look at Ryeowook.

He didn’t want to explain, but he knew that in less than a week’s time, he’d have to get on a plane and fly to America and work side by side with Hyukjae, again. And Ryeowook was right; it was his natural instinct to just avoid Hyukjae, but he couldn’t do that, he had to do his job because people were depending on him.

He put the mug down and decided to man up…and change the subject. “It doesn’t matter, anyway.” He said slowly and surely. “It was three years ago.” Ryeowook opened his mouth incredulously, and was about to refute this argument, again, when Donghae interjected smoothly with: “And I need you to help me out.” Ryeowook’s mouth closed as he looked at him. Donghae breathed out slowly. “I have no idea what we’re actually doing in America.” He said bashfully, knowing he would distract Ryeowook completely with this confession.

Ryeowook laughed. “I know you don’t.” He rolled his eyes once more. “We’re going to try out that new device-thingy that measures…stuff”-he looked down furtively as he said this, embarrassed he didn’t know much- “on the tornado they have coming, because it’s an original idea, and they want to see if it works so they can market it.” He looked proud. “Yesung-hyung told me. He said it was mostly all his idea.” Donghae did not mention that he knew a lot of it was Siwon’s invention too, and that Yesung was most likely exaggerating to impress Wookie and therefore have more of a chance of getting into Wookie’s very tight jeans.

“I know about the analyser.” He smiled. “So that’s why we’re going?” Wookie nodded eagerly. “And how long are we going?”

“Three weeks.” Wookie said. “And hyung, we’re in a hotel for that time.” He grinned. “And we aren’t paying.”

Donghae whistled appreciatively. “Oh, wait. They’ll probably shove us in some horrible cheap one, though.”

Wookie pouted. “Hyung, do you have to be so depressing?”Donghae shook his head, and was about to say more when he noticed something that made him shrivel up inside. “Hyung? What is-” He turned to look at what Donghae was seeing. “Oh.”

Donghae cursed. Why did Hyukjae seem to be everywhere he was? And did Sungmin always have to be there too?

“Hyung?” Ryeowook tried to get his attention. “Hyung?” Donghae carried on glaring in the direction of his ex-boyfriend.  Ryeowook huffed and stood up. “Hyung!” He said a little louder. When Donghae failed to respond even to this, Ryeowook decided to take drastic measures.  He thumped down into Donghae’s lap, earning a loud “Hmph” of surprise as he settled himself there.

“Ryeowook…what are you doing?”  Donghae was distracted from glaring long enough to look down at his friend who was now wriggling comfily in his lap. Ryeowook grinned innocently up at him.

“You were ignoring me, hyung.” He shook his head in mock-sadness. “And I needed to get you to stop staring.”

“I was doing nothing of the sort.” Donghae told him. “I was just…admiring the view over there. Yeah.” He nodded, proud of his excuse.

Ryeowook blinked at him, amused. “Hyung, they’re sitting over by the toilets. How is that a view?”

Donghae had no answer, and was saved from giving one, when Sungmin looked up, and smiled when he saw Donghae, obviously recognising him from before.  He muttered something to Hyukjae, who looked up to, scanning the café disinterestedly until his eyes fell upon Donghae. His eyebrows raised, and Donghae felt his cheeks flush slightly, as well as the urge to push Wookie off his lap. He didn’t, though, as Hyukjae looked away, and answered Sungmin, smiling a little.

Suddenly, Sungmin stood up, kissing Hyukjae quickly on the cheek before he made his way towards Donghae, winding through the various tables and chairs. Donghae was rooted to the spot, unable to move or think, because this could not be happening. He could not be about to have a conversation with his ex-boyfriends new boyfriend who obviously didn’t have a clue who he was to Hyukjae.

Ryeowook seemed oblivious, or he was planning something, because when Donghae tried to subtly slide him off his lap, he stayed there, unmoving. Donghae sighed.

“Hello again.” Sungmin gave him a delighted smile. All Donghae could manage back was a quirk of the lips, as he cursed God, the world and everything for giving him this fate.

Donghae knew he had to answer, because Sungmin seemed like a genuinely nice guy who was just trying to be friendly. “Hello.” He answered shortly. Sungmin gave a laugh, and gestured to Ryeowook.

“Is this your boyfriend?” Donghae froze. How was he supposed to answer that?