News?

Twister

So it wasn’t easy, letting him go. Eunhyuk had hated every minute of being apart from Donghae when they had first broken  up. At first, there had been the awful feeling of ‘it was all my fault’, but then it had turned to anger, and gradually, acceptance. Or so he thought. But seeing Hae had dragged up feelings he thought were under control.

Because he had Sungmin now, and he wasn’t going to let his history with Donghae get in the way. Donghae had broken up with him, not the other way around, and that was firmly in the past. He could get through this; it was the opportunity of a lifetime, and he was going to focus on that.

Not how much he wished Donghae would look at him properly.

In Donghae’s office, Ryeowook was blinking. “What? What do you mean like him too much?” His eyebrows drew together in confusion and he looked like a worried child. Donghae looked at a poster he had taped to the wall before answering.

“It’s nothing, Wook, really.” He shook his fringe out of his eyes. “It’ll work out.”

“But…hyung, why don’t you want to work with him? I’m sure we could change something, ask Leeteuk-hyung.” Donghae shook his head.

“No!” He said a little too quickly. “We’re fine! Let’s not bother anyone, I’ll work with him, okay?” Ryeowook just looked confused again, but he nodded slowly.

“Alright, if you’re sure.” Donghae was not sure, and he did not like the sinking feeling that the reason he’d objected to Ryeowook’s idea was not because he didn’t want to cause trouble, but rather to keep Hyukjae around longer. Or Eunhyuk. Whatever his name was now.

‘Silver Hyuk’. He didn’t get it. But then, he’d avoided him for three years, so it was no surprise that he didn’t understand. And it wasn’t like he could ask. He’d sort of lost the right to any connection when he said he was breaking up with him.

He heaved a sigh, and, deliberately ignoring Ryeowook’s pitiful puppy-dog pout (it was his sure-fire way of getting whatever he wanted), he said: “Where are the photos, Wook? I thought that was what you were here for.”

“Oh!” Ryeowook brightened. “I brought them, hyung” You’re gonna be really proud of me. I got such a clear view of the funnel this time, and none of them were blurry.” He had such a happy, proud smile on his face, that Donghae found it impossible not to smile back.

“You can’t have topped the one you got in Texas.” He told him, shaking his head and grinning. “That one was near perfect-do you know how many publications we sold that to?” Ryeowook looked down and blushed, before looking over to the side of the desk, where his pride and joy, his beloved camera sat.

“Thanks hyung. But I really think I got some good ones.”  Ryeowook stepped over to his camera and began to scroll through the menu on the touch-screen.  He looked up at Donghae excitedly. “Hyung…if you think they are good, would you talk to Leeteuk-hyung about that new lens?” His smile was cheeky now.

Donghae laughed and then smirked. “If they’re really that good, I will. But you know you’ll have to get though Kibum first, what with him being a bit mean with the finances…” Ryeowook nodded frantically as he clicked on a picture.

“Okay! I found them. “ He handed the camera carefully to Donghae, watching to make sure his precious baby was not harmed. Donghae knew that if anything were to happen to this camera, he would cry for days, so he took it gently and looked at the picture on the small screen. It had been taken in the Philippines, where Ryeowook had been for the last week.

Donghae nodded, impressed. “This one’s very good. Clear. Actually, it’s sort of atmospheric. You might get a lot of money for this one.” He clicked on the next photo. This time, he nodded straight away, look on his face even more impressed.  “Now this…this is ing amazing.” He told the anxious Ryeowook, who smiled as he said that.

“Really?” He looked so pleased that Donghae nodded again. 

“Definitely. How close did you get?” He asked incredulously. The photograph was so close that it was almost as if you were in the tornado itself, the dark dust-cloud shadowed and menacing, the sky a light grey underneath it. Child-like and trusting he could be, but there was no denying that Ryeowook was damn good at his job.

Ryeowook’s lips quirked up into a sort of shifty-but-sweet expression. “I convinced Yesung hyung to go closer, even though he thought it was too dangerous.” Donghae raised an eyebrow. He knew that Yesung, another techie (like Siwon) was very interested in the smaller man, and was liable to be persuaded easily by him. He also knew that Ryeowook knew this too.

He put the camera down softly on the table, clearing away some papers before folding his arms. “Wookie, don’t tell me you flirted with Henry in front of him again.” Ryeowook opened his eyes wide as if to say ‘Who, me?’, but Donghae was not fooled. “You are so evil.”

Ryeowook pouted a little. “I’m not evil. I just like both of them.” He looked up into Donghae’s face. “Is that a bad thing?”

Donghae laughed and shook his head. “No… It’s just a bit mean, the way you play them off each other.”

Ryeowook looked a bit put out. “Don’t tell Hae Mi noona. She’ll lecture me again.” Hae Mi was Leeteuk’s girlfriend, or their second Umma, as they had playfully nicknamed her, Leeteuk being their first Umma, of course.

Donghae chuckled and waved a finger in Wookie’s face. “Don’t be naughty and noona won’t have a problem.”

Ryeowook was about to reply when Kangin, the radio-operator poked his head in. “Hey, Leeteuk’s called a meeting. You know where.” He tilted his head in the direction he meant. “The boardroom.” Donghae smiled.

“Yeah, we’re coming.”

“Better be quick,” Kangin advised. “There might not be any seats left.” He left, giving a mischevious wink.

Donghae pulled Ryeowook’s arm. “Come on then, flirt.” Ryeowook glared. Donghae snickered at his expression. “Get your camera. I’ll see the rest of the photos with everyone else. But I’ll talk to Teukie for you.” The glare was replaced with a happy expression as Ryewook sponataneously threw his arms around him. Donghae patted his arm. He was used to the hugs. Wookie was a very snuggly person, and there had been a time when he’d hardly detached himself from Hyukjae. Had been…  

The door to the room was open, loud chatter escaping as everyone readied themselves for Leeteuk’s announcement. Kangin, as Leeteuk’s best friend, sat next to him, and he smiled as they came in. Siwon, sat three seats down waved and patted the seats next to him. Donghae and Ryeowook gratefully sat down in them.

“What d’you think Teuk’s going to tell us?” Siwon asked, his expression curious. He was one of the people who manned the huge array of electronic equipment they had to monitor the countless changes in weather,  the radar systems they had going. It really was mind-boggling every time Donghae stepped in Siwon’s lab.

Donghae shrugged. “I know it’s something big because he called me in to tell me I was working with-” He swallowed. It was quite difficult to say the name. “Eunhyuk.” He swallowed again before continuing. “Who they called in from somewhere.”

“Eunhyuk?” The woman on the other side of Siwon asked. The three of them nodded. “Really? He’s like the jewel of the storm-chaser community.” She giggled. “It’s where his nickname comes from. Silver, because he’s like a precious metal or something. And I think his actual name begins with Hyuk, or something.” Siwon and Ryeowook nodded, interested in this little bit of gossip.

“Hyukjae.” Donghae told her absentmindedly. “His name is Hyukjae.”

“How’d you know that?” She asked in surprise.

He blinked, realising what a faux pas he’d just made. He’d worked here for three years; he'd started as he'd left Hyukjae-nobody , apart from Leeteuk, knew they’ d been together.  “Uh, I read it somewhere.” He said quickly.

She nodded, seeming to accept this explanation. Donghae gave a forced smile and looked at the door, willing the meeting to start. As he did so, the door was pushed open to reveal Eunhyuk stepping in, bowing in apology for his lateness. Leeteuk brushed it off and indicated one of the free chairs before he stood up.

Donghae deliberately refused to look in Eunhyuk’s direction. He knew he was being childish, but he didn’t want to see his reproachful gaze, or mull on how he was still so damn hot.

Leeteuk clapped his hands and turned to a woman who sat near him. “Li-Na, if you would.” She grinned at their handsome boss and clicked on the keypad, starting he presentation.

“Right, guys, I’ve called you here for a very special reason.” He nodded for her to click again, and words began to scroll across the screen. “As you know, we’ve been gaining a reputation as a very reliable tracker of tornadoes and the like, even internationally.” -Kangin gave a loud cheer at this point- “So we’ve been asked to go to America to track one and see what information we can get from it.” He gave a delighted grin as everyone began to chatter excitedly. Donghae’s mouth opened in shock.  So this was it. Leeteuk allowed the chatter to go on for a few minutes before he held a hand up for silence. “So, we’re off to Oklahoma, guys. I will give you the details in a second, and show off some of Wookie’s lovely new photos.”- a blushing Ryeowook looked down at the table- “But first I’d like to make an announcement. The leaders of the team I’m going to send over there are our own Lee Donghae.” He pointed to where Donghae sat stunned, and pleased, before saying: “And someone we’ve brought in, so welcome him as our own-Lee Eunhyuk.” He pointed over to where Eunhyuk sat, staring at his hands. There was some polite applause as Donghae sat in shock.

What had just happened?