Someone New

Twister

 

Yesung looked down at his feet in their black high-tops, rolling his eyes as he stepped over yet another flyer for a concert in the music hall he was nearing. Such a waste of paper. Surely it was more economic, and better for the environment, to use the internet and posters to advertise? Still, he thought. The concert looked kind of interesting. Maybe he’d go.

It wasn’t like he had anything better to do. Ryeowook had chosen Henry. There was no point keeping his weekends free on the off chance Ryeowook would want to do something. The resentment bubbled in the pit of his stomach, and he almost wanted to hit something, like a toddler who had wasn’t getting sweets.

It wasn’t fair, though. He was just as good as Henry, he could have given Ryeowook what he wanted too, why was he the one abandoned so they could go on to their perfect ing fairytale ending? It stung, it really did. He felt used and that made it all worse. If Ryeowook had never been planning to be with him, he should have stopped stringing him along ages ago!

He’d stopped still in the middle of the street. Embarrassed, he walked around the curious old lady who had been watching his expression turn angry and ashamed and came to a stop outside of the music hall. He’d liked to sing, back when he was younger. When he was in Uni, he’d even taken vocal training lessons. It had never been anything serious, just a bit of light fun, but he had really enjoyed it. He’d never really gone any further with it, though, because although his teacher said his husky voice was definitely marketable, he had been too afraid to audition anywhere.

Maybe if he had, Ryeowook would have thought he was the better one and chosen him. But instead, he was the ‘second guy’, the one left without anyone, like those stupid dramas Wookie was addicted to. He stuffed his hands in his jeans pockets and walked forward. The music hall loomed in front of him, plastered with posters for concerts and suchlike. It was his day off work, and he had nothing to do and no one to do it with, seeing as he was avoiding all his friends and their well-meant attempts to cheer him up. Wookie had even apologised, crying like a baby when he had been given his hyung’s blank stare, the one Yesung had never used on him before.

That was when Donghae had dragged him away and told Wookie that he was an idiot and should stop making Yesung-hyung feel worse. Yesung had refused Donghae’s offer of going out for a drink, and had ignored Siwon’s attempts to call him so far. They saw him at work, that was enough. Besides, Donghae had enough to deal with, what with all the adoption paperwork he and Hyukjae were still filling out, and Siwon was going to be flying off to visit his girlfriend soon. They didn’t need his problems dragging them down.

Still…it would have been nice if Wookie had chosen him. He didn’t think he was in love with Ryeowook…but he was still hurt, and his pride had been damaged, because he couldn’t help but think this was Wookie’s plan all along. Though, to be fair, Ryeowook wasn’t that much of an evil mastermind, and he couldn’t tell lies or keep secrets very well at all.

But he was in a grumpy mood and today he was going to blame Ryeowook for all the ills in the world. As he decided this, he realised he had been standing in front of a neon-coloured poster for about five minutes. Well, if anyone saw him, they’d just think he was interested in the concert. It wasn’t like he had ‘REJECTED’ stamped on his forehead or some . They weren’t going to talk about Ryeowook and Henry and how he was alone.

He heard a cough behind him. “Er, you know…that band’s actually really good, if you want to go see them.”

Turning around, Yesung came face to face with another man. He was about the same height as him, in torn jeans and a black fitted blazer and shirt. His hair was black, his fringe obscuring round eyes and a straight nose. His mouth was really the only thing that detracted from his overall appearance, Yesung thought. It made him look cute. And Yesung wasn’t in the mood for cute, because that reminded him of Ryeowook.

“Really?” He asked, not really interested, but not wanting to sound rude.

“Yeah.” The man grinned. “Okay, I’m kind of biased, seeing as I’m the guitarist, but hey, self-promotion works.” His grin made him look more manly. Yesung decided he liked that. He was no longer into cute and sweet, because that was what Ryeowook was, and Henry, to a certain extent. And he wasn’t part of that anymore.

So he chuckled in response. “So which one are you? Daehyun, Hyunshik or Sungmin?” He said, reading the names off the bottom of the poster.

“Sungmin.” He said. “And you are?”

Yesung paused for a moment. “I’m Yesung.” He held his hand out to shake, and was pleasantly surprised by how firm Sungmin’s handshake was. He’d always liked more confident men. “So you’re a rockstar?” His attempt at a joke was crap, and they both knew it, but Sungmin was polite enough to laugh.

“Not really. My day job’s a guitar teacher.”

“Ah.” Yesung nodded. “But I thought only those who can’t do, teach?” It was another bad joke, but Sungmin didn’t seem to mind.

“I can do both.” Sungmin smirked and shrugged, and Yesung’s gaze turned appraising. It looked like Sungmin might have a good body underneath the shirt and jacket. “What about you?”

“Huh?” Yesung blinked.

“What do you do?” Sungmin rephrased his question.

“I…uh, well, I monitor tornadoes and stuff.” He’d never been good with describing his job to strangers. Mostly because not many strangers talked to him.

Sungmin’s eyes flashed a little. “Ah. I, uh, I had an ex who used to be a storm chaser.” That was new. Yesung didn’t generally meet people who told him that. And it wasn’t like there were many of them around in Korea, if he was honest. Perhaps he knew them.

“What was his name?” Yesung realised only after he’d said it that he sounded kind of tactless.

Sungmin looked uncomfortable. “Lee Hyukjae?”

Yesung couldn’t help it. He blurted: “Oh, so you’re that Sungmin.” Sungmin only looked even more uncomfortable, and Yesung would have slapped himself if that wouldn’t have looked weird.

“I suppose.” Sungmin said shortly.

“I’m sorry.” Yesung said apologetically. “I’m a . Really, I speak before I think. I didn’t mean to bring up any bad memories.”

Sungmin waved him off. “I’m mostly over it. It’s been what, three, four years?” Yesung wondered if he’d be like that with Wookie in three years. He hoped so.

“Being second guy always .” Yesung said darkly, regretting what he’d said once again when Sungmin raised an eyebrow. “Nothing. Just…nothing.” He shook his head, wishing he wasn’t still stuck on his hurt feelings over Wookie.

“It does .” Sungmin sighed. “It just makes you feel…used, you know. Especially if you really liked the person.” He shrugged, and Yesung sighed with him.

“I know.”

“Same thing happen to you?” Sungmin asked curiously.

“Well…it wasn’t really a break up as such. More like he made a choice. And I wasn’t the choice.” Yesung dragged his foot across the ground.

“.” Sungmin said. Yesung nodded, watching as Sungmin pulled out a packet of cigarettes. “You don’t mind, do you?” He asked, indicating the packet. Yesung shook his head. Sungmin patted his pockets, looking for a lighter.

When it was obvious he didn’t have one, Yesung dug through his own pockets for his. “Here. You can use mine.” Sungmin smiled his thanks, the smile becoming amused when he saw the design of the lighter.

“A…turtle?” He snickered just a little.

“Hey, it was a joke gift from my brother!” Yesung defended himself, looking away from Sungmin.

“No, no, it’s funny, I’m not being mean.” Sungmin laughed again, before flicking it open and lighting his cigarette. “You want one?” He asked. Yesung took one gratefully, pocketing his lighter after he had finished with it.

Sungmin took a drag before looking at Yesung. “So are you gonna come? To the concert, I mean?”

Yesung thought for a second, and then nodded. “Why not? I’ll see if you’re as good as that poster claims.” Sungmin smiled again as Yesung took a drag from his own cigarette.

They were quiet for a moment, smoke issuing from their cigarettes. They stayed in companionable silence until Sungmin checked his watch. “. I’m going to be late in a minute.” Stubbing out his cigarette on the trashcan, he touched Yesung’s arm. “So I’ll see you Friday night, then?” The half-smile was tentative, and a little mischievous.

Yesung gave a smirk of his own. “Yeah, you will.” Sungmin left, and Yesung considered. He liked this guy. He was most definitely glad to see him again.


A/N And this is my first spinoffy thing. It's a total fail, but I had to give Sungmin a sort-of happier ending. I don't even know how I managed to get YeMin in this fic...I don't even ship it. o.O Well, there we go...WookieCookie, I hope you like this YeMin. :P And it took me so long because of stuff with college and hospital and ugh. Damn my life. I fail at everything right now. =_= Why I am telling you this, I have no idea...