Chapter 12: The Incline

Memories

 

We woke up early the next day. The sun wasn’t even up. Of course I was grumpy but I tried not to be. I even persuaded her to stay in bed but she was stubborn. She pouted and said that she would see the sunrise herself. She really has ways to make me do things that I don’t want to.

 

I woke up and we walk to the beach as we sat at one of the canopy waiting for the sunrise. I felt cold and she hugged me from the side rubbing my arms giving me warmth. I rested my head on her shoulder as we watch the sunrise. I’m glad I woke up. The sunrise is so beautiful. Feeling the warmth from the sun slowly engulfing me just like how she always has an effect on me. I felt the similarities right away. She is the sun in my life.

 

“It’s beautiful isn’t it?” She asked.

 

“Yeah it is.”

 

“Every day is a gift to me.”

 

“Every day with you is a gift to me…” I said and she gave me a peck on my forehead. “Yuri…”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Let’s come here and watch the sunrise when we’re 30 40 50 and so on…”

 

She never spoke but I can feel her nodding. She tightens her hug and I held onto her hands tighter. I felt so happy and blessed at the moment. We didn’t speak as we enjoy each other’s company. I was dozing off from the comfort under her arms but her movement made me open my eyes. She suddenly sat up straight furrowing her eyebrows looking towards the right side of the beach.

 

“What’s wrong Yuri?”

 

“There… Can you see it?”

 

I looked at where she pointed. It’s the sea and I saw what she saw. Someone. Waving his or her hands frantically. Drowning?

 

“Is… that a person?” I asked the obvious.

 

“Call for help Sica.” She stood up ready to run for it.

 

I panicked but I know better. I’m selfish. Call me a killer I don’t care. I don’t know that person so I don’t care. I held onto her wrist.

 

“No!” I shouted out of reflex. “We’ll call for help! You don’t need to save that pers-”

 

“Sica! Don’t be absurd! No one is around but us! There is no time!”

 

I cursed myself deep inside for not learning how to swim. She flails away my grip and ran towards the sea ignoring all my plea and shouts preventing her to go. How a wonderful and peaceful moment can turn 180 degrees in just matter of seconds. Now I’m panicking, crying and shouting for help frantically running around hoping that someone would hear me. Thank God some workers heard me and took control of what to do. I ran towards the beach where Yuri is and saw her pulling up a body of a kid. She is giving the kid a CPR and I kneeled beside her concerned about her wellbeing. Seconds after the kid cough out some water and Yuri sat back as she catches her breath. My eyes on her with worried plastered all over my face. I never intend to hide it either. She looked at me breathless and managed to give me a smile. That charming smile of hers.

 

“A-Are you okay Yuri?”

 

“Ye-yeah…” she managed to say.

 

The staffs from the resort are already around with towels as I wrap one around Yuri while the staffs manage the kid. I waited for her to catch her breath as I’m still hugging her with the towel. Her breathing calmed down.

 

“Better?” I asked in concern.

 

She nodded with a smile. “It feels good. Saving a person’s life.”

 

“Don’t do that to me ever again Yuri…” I hug her harder rubbing her shoulder. ”Let’s get you a change of clothes.” I said and she nodded.

 

I held onto Yuri tight as we stood up but just as we stood up I felt all her weight on me. I struggle to stand up with her but failed as she fell down on me.

 

“Yuri!” I shouted but no response. “Oh gawd no! Yuri! Somebody help! Please Yuri don’t do this to me!” I said and cried my heart out.

 

She fainted. The staffs heard my plea for help and ran over to assist me. Thank God someone called the ambulance earlier and the kid with Yuri both went into the ambulance heading towards the nearest hospital. I followed.

 

At the hospital I told the doctor of Yuri’s condition and they treated her immediately. I waited and waited outside of the ER area. Time passes so slowly as if I’ve waited for ages. Minutes felt like hours and hours felt like months but still I waited patiently. Soon my patience was rewarded as the doctor came out.

 

“How’s she?” I was eager to know as I held onto the doctor’s arms on both side.

 

“She is fine now. She fainted from heart failure. Luckily the ambulance is there on time and with your information about her condition they did some first aid on her. Now her heartbeat is back to normal. However we would need further check up to make sure she is okay. You can go see her now.” The doctor assures me.

 

“Thank you! Thank you doctor!”

 

I rush pass him to where Yuri is. There I saw her sitting on the bed.

 

“Yuri!” I paced towards her and hug her.

 

“Sica~ I’m sorry.” She hugs me back.

 

“Don’t be. As long as you’re fine now. Don’t scare me like that ever again.”

 

She nodded while she my back soothing me. The doctor discharged us but highly recommended Yuri to get a full check up at the hospital she usually does it. Of course I’m going to make sure of that too. We clean ourselves up and head for check out. The staffs of the resort applauded for Yuri while the parents of the kid cried and thanked Yuri with all their hearts.

 

We head back home and everything is back to normal. At least that’s what I thought. My wishful thinking, my state of denial or my escape from reality. We’ve told our parents about what happened and even though Yuri was reluctant but she agreed that they have the rights to know. Yuri’s mom was holding in her tears all the while. I know how she felt. She never wanted to let her daughter see her cry worried about her but at the same time emotions of fear and relief hits at the same time.

 

Yuri’s heart has been weaker ever since. I’m sure she noticed it too. She kept on saying that there is no need for me to accompany her to the hospital that she has done it plenty of times before. Even though how much I insisted that I should accompany her at the end I gave up when her mom said that she’ll accompany her.

 

The doctor asked her to stay overnight at the hospital for them to monitor her 48 hours. That’s when I know how serious this has become. My emotions got the best out of me as I cried alone in my room that day. I know I promised Yuri I wouldn’t cry for her but she don’t need to know that I did. I asked for permission to stay overnight with her at the hospital.

 

“Sicababy.”She called out to me when she saw me through the door.

 

“Seobang. I’m here to accompany you tonight.”

 

She smiled. “You don’t have to… but thank you.” She opens her arm wide and I gladly let her hug me as I hug her back.

 

“You don’t have to thank me. It’s the job of the wife to take care of her husband.”

 

“Aww so sweet my yeobo.” She smiles and pinches my nose softly but her smile faded away when she had a good look at me. What is it? Are my eyes still red? I thought I double checked? I tried to evade by changing the topic.

 

“Now rest. Just tell me anything you want and I’ll get it for you.”

 

“Sica I’m not bedridden. Seriously I think the doctor is just overreacting.” I’m glad she didn’t pry further.

 

“Better safe than sorry. Now rest!”

 

“Yes ma’am.” She saluted me as I pouted at her tease. She giggled. “but…”

 

“but?”

 

“I need my yeobo beside me.” she tried her best at doing the puppy dog eyes.

 

“Arraso.”

 

We cuddled on the bed and as soon as we are in a comfortable position we fell asleep. At least I thought we did until I woke up in the middle of the night lacking the warmth that was supposed to be beside me. I open my eyes and saw the room lit up by a table lamp. She is sitting up straight on the bed with the bed table in front of her seemingly reading or writing something. I contemplate whether I should call out to her but she seems to notice that I’m awake from my movements.

 

“Did I wake you up?” she asked softly.

 

“No. What are you doing Yuri?”

 

“Just writing something.”

 

“Can I see?”

 

“Of course you can… but not now. Let’s sleep alright?”

 

“Okay.”

 

She wrote a few more seconds and off the table lamp. We cuddled and before I know it I’m back to dreamland.

 

After that, things happen so quickly that I couldn’t even comprehend.

 

The doctor told Yuri that it doesn’t seems like good news that her heart was a lot weaker than how it was and how things aren’t looking up for her. Although the doctor tried to say it in a better and more positive way, the reality struck me. I can see it from her parent’s eyes too. Her brother visited too and even him who is happy go lucky kind of person is having hard time being who he is.

 

Next thing we know, the doctor told us the worst case scenario.

 

6 months.

 

---------------------------------------------

The inevitable drama is here.

I'm prepared for the excessive flaming from all the readers >.<

I'll try to upload the story as fast as possible.

I wont be commenting on around 10 chapters to come however I'll still reply to some of the comments.

Tissues lock and load!