Chapter 1: The Meeting

Memories

 

It’s the first day of school in my life and I’m in my classroom. My mom is just outside the window peeking in on me and I'm just sitting obediently and frowning nervously. I’ll admit that I wasn’t in my best condition. Why? I hate it. I hate school. I love staying at home playing with my dolls and toys but I had to go to school. I cried and throw tantrums which usually would work on my parents but they just wouldn’t budge. I had no choice. I ran out of tricks.

 

All the other kids around me they are so noisy. They are already playing with each other laughing, running around, talking loudly and some even screaming. I wonder how they could get to the point of playing like they’ve known each other for a long time in just matter of seconds. I didn’t like the feeling of sitting alone but I didn’t like how they’re looking at me either. So I rather not play with them. I’m picky of my friends alright. I was begging for the time to pass quickly when someone interrupted me.

 

“Hi!”

 

I backed away surprised and eyed her with curiosity. Why is she talking to me? She waved at me right in front of my eyes and I blinked a few times.

 

“Hi! What’s your name? I’m Kwon Yuri.” She smiled and put out her right hand initiating a handshake.

 

“… Hi… Jessica…” I shyly nodded and held her hand to reciprocate her handshake.

 

“Jessica? Woah… English name~ cool~ that’s you’re real name?”

 

“Y-yeah…”

 

“Where are you from?”

 

“America…”

 

“… Ehhh… I see… Wait a moment?”

 

I was surprised that she heard of America. Most kids wouldn’t know what America means at our age but she knew. I'm impressed.

 

“Ommmmmaaaaaaaaaaaa~”

 

I eyed her as she call for her mom who is also peeking into the classroom from outside just like my mom. Among all the noises in the class I try to make out what she is saying to her mom. However she didn't put any effort to hide what she was about to say either.

 

“Omma~ Where is America?”

 

“Pfft!” I nearly laugh out loud. Then I knew. She didn’t know but she pretended like she knew.

 

“Wae?” I heard her mom asked.

 

“My friend Jessica over there...” Friend? Did I just make a friend? She pointed at me and looked back at her mom and continued “She is from America… I don’t know where is that… is it far? Far like out of the sea?”

 

Her mom giggled at her own kid’s question and smiled at me. I didn't react. She kneeled down and I guess she explained to Yuri where America is. Truth is I myself don’t know exactly where America is. Hehe. In my defence at least I know America exist at my age.

 

“Woahhhh!” I looked back at Yuri and see her eyes sparkle in amazement. She ran back towards me and said “Daebak! You’re from half way around the world.”

 

I blinked a few times as her words slowly sink into me. Really? I thought but I answered “Y-yeah...” without really processing anything in my brain.

 

“Alright kids! Class is starting!” The teacher came in and said.

 

“Let’s have lunch together later okay Jessica?” Yuri asked me.

 

“Yeah…”

 

Right there and then, I guess school isn’t that bad after all.

 

---------------------------------

Imagine cute little ice princess and cute little black pearl.

Aww~ so cute. Well that's what I thought when I wrote this chapter.