Letting Go

My Boyfriend's Bestfriend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae placed a jacket on your shoulder. “Wait here, I’ll go check us in,” he said with a soft smile.

 

You nodded at him. “Okay,” you replied.

 

Donghae walked to the reception as you stood beside your luggage. He just got back from work so here you are in Pyeongchang county to relax and have fun. He said he was invited by childhood friends, so he can’t say no. Donghae wanted you to come with him, of course, to introduce you to them. You agreed to go. It seemed fun anyway; you haven’t snowboarded - or skated - in such a long time.

 

“Kyesin?!” you heard a familiar voice call you. You turned around to see Choi Siwon, walking like a model on a runway with his designer clothes and Ray Ban sunglasses. He was with a woman, tall as a super model, with designer clothes as well. She must be his girlfriend, Liu Wen, since she fits Kyuhyun’s description perfectly. Siwon came forward, smiling at you. “You’re here!!!” he said, genuinely happy. “Kyuhyun did come after all!”

 

“Kyuhyun?” you asked.

 

“Isn’t he with you?” his thick brows were pushed together in a straight line.

 

“No,” you shook your head. “I came with Donghae.”

 

“Oh… Right. You’re Donghae’s girl…” he said. “I thought Kyuhyun would come… I invited him but he’s still in New York…”

 

 

“Oh,” you said, quite disappointed.

 

“Anyway, let me introduce you to my girlfriend, Liu Wen. Liu Wen, meet Kyesin.”

 

The tall, beautiful girl smiled wide at you and shook your hand. Even though she looked utterly expensive, she feels really nice and warm. “Nice to meet you,” she said in a soft voice. “I’ve heard a lot about you from Kyuhyun. I’m so glad I finally met you in person.”

 

“Oh really? I’m glad to meet you as well,” you said.

 

“Siwon!” Donghae came running and hugged the tall guy. “Dude. Thanks for inviting. I haven’t seen you in years!”

 

“About time we have a reunion,” Siwon chuckled.

 

“Yeah. Oh, Kye, let me introduce you to the filthy rich member of our group, Choi Siwon,” Donghae beamed at you.

 

“Actually, we already met,” Siwon said. “Kyuhyun introduced her to me.”

 

“Oh…” Donghae said. You felt his energy crash down, and then he pulled it up. “That’s great. Kye, shall we go to our rooms? Get settled?”

 

“Yeah, sure,” you said.

 

“Oh, let’s have lunch together at the buffet,” Siwon said. “Meet here at 11:30?”

 

“Sure,” Donghae nodded and held your hand.

 

The room was nice. You had separate rooms, of course, but it was spacious and the bed is big. Donghae was standing by your door, silently observing you.

 

“Looks good?” Donghae asked.

 

You walked towards him and slowly wrapped your arms around his body. “I know you’re thinking about it…”

 

He chuckled, and brushed your hair with his hand. “Ah… I hardly remember how good your hugs are,” he said. “I guess I should really get used to you two being close. I promise I’ll do my best.”

 

You smiled at him. “Thank you.”

 

“Go on and freshen up. I’ll see you in a few, okay?” Donghae kissed your forehead and went to his room.

 

 

You waited for the others at the lobby. Siwon and Liu Wen were there as well. Donghae must be still upstairs doing his facial rituals. Siwon said there’s one more who’s still in their room. Suddenly, a white Maserati came screeching to a stop in front of the hotel. A guy came out of the car, wearing a y black turtle neck sweater and jeans underneath a khaki overcoat, and sunglasses. Even from afar you could already tell who he is.

 

“I knew you’d be here,” he said, charging towards you to give you a tight hug.

 

“Kyuhyun!!! You’re here!” Siwon exclaimed, giving his friend a pat on the back.

 

“Mhm… I wouldn’t miss this for the world,” he said, still trapping you in his embrace. “And you… I miss you,” he whispered by your ear.

 

“I miss you, too,” you said, cheeks burning.

 

He gently pulled away and smiled wide at you. “I’ll go check in.”

 

“Aish! Look at that guy!” Siwon pouted. “I’m the one who invited him but he can’t even say hi to me!”

 

Liu Wen laughed. “You know Kyuhyun. He’s got a lot of things in his mind right now.”

 

“Hey!” Donghae came, jogging towards the three of you. “Are we all here?”

 

“Kyuhyun just arrived. Thought that guy had a lot of work to do,” Siwon smiled. You forgot how charismatic his smile was. “He’s there by the reception.”

 

“Oh,” Donghae mumbled, looking over. He protectively laced his fingers with yours. You gave him a reassuring smile.

 

“Where are you all headed?” Kyuhyun asked. He stood as far away from Donghae as possible.

 

“We’re about to have lunch together,” Liu Wen answered.

 

“Lunch? Count me in!” He said jollily.

 

“What are we waiting for then?” Donghae said. “Let’s go! I’m starving.”

 

“We’re just waiting for one more…”

 

“Hey!!!” A high pitched voice called. “Sorry I took long.” It was Minah.

 

“There you are!” Siwon said.

 

Your eyes instinctively flew to Kyuhyun. He has his arm around Siwon’s shoulder and his face was kept composed.

 

“Oh, oppa! Kye! You guys are here too?” She said.

 

Donghae gave you a puzzled look. He must be wondering how she knew you. You nodded at him slightly. Then he understood.

 

“Of course,” Kyuhyun said.

 

“It’s nice to see you again, Kyesin,” she turned to you with a bright smile. “You never told me Donghae was your boyfriend! All the while I thought you were dating Kyuhyun!”

 

“Oh, we’re not there yet,” Donghae said calmly. “But we’re getting there, right?”

 

“Yeah,” you nodded.

 

“That’s great!” She smiled. “So, shall we eat?”

 

“Let’s go! Follow me!” Siwon said.

 

“Oh, Kyuhyun oppa!” You heard Minah say. She was behind you along with Kyuhyun. “Have you decided if you’ll come to our Christmas party?”

 

“Not yet,” Kyuhyun replied, nonchalant as if she was just another friend. “But sure, I’ll think about it.”

 

You sat down around a circle table. Donghae sat on your left side, and Kyuhyun made sure to sit on your right.

“Can we pay for all this?” you whispered to Donghae when you were in line for the buffet.

 

He quietly chuckled and whispered back by your ear. “Siwon is paying for all of this.”

 

“He is?!” your eyes widened in surprise.

 

He nodded. “I think he’s preparing to propose to Wenwen, so he’s going to introduce her to the group.”

 

“Oh… but I’m not part of your… group.”

 

Donghae brushed your cheek with his hand. “Kye, you are now. Siwon seems to like you and he’s kinda like the ‘leader’ of this...whatever this is, coz he’s the richest one. Besides, one way or another you’d still get in since I’m sure Kyuhyun would do anything to make you part of this.”

 

“Oh… Then I’m glad I got in. They all seem nice. Siwon and Liu Wen… And Minah too…”

 

“Minah?” Donghae’s brows furrowed. “You know I don’t see Minah the same way I did before.”

 

“What do you mean?” You asked.

 

“Just… Don’t get too close with her, okay? Liu Wen is an angel. Stay with her,” Donghae said.

 

“Okay, whatever you say.”

 

Donghae smiled at you. “Have you decided about the scholarship?”

 

Oh right. You received a letter from the University of Berkeley in California yesterday. Apparently, a director who watched the school play you directed recommended you and you got a scholarship for a degree in theater. The school is known for its music programs and getting this scholarship would be such a great opportunity. But then it would also mean you’d have to leave your life in Korea… And Kyuhyun.

 

“I still don’t know,” you replied. “I like my life here, but the scholarship is a big thing.”

 

“I know. You know I’m gonna support you whatever your decision is, right? I’ve actually already found some place I can work there. I stayed up all night yesterday looking,” he said.

 

“That’s great, Hae. I don’t know… I need some more time to decide,” you answered. “I still have a week left to give a reply anyway.”

 

“What are you guys talking about?” Kyuhyun suddenly appeared out of nowhere and wrapped an arm around your waist.

 

Donghae grabbed your arm and pulled you away. “We’re just taking about plans.”

 

“What plans?” Kyuhyun asked, directing you.

 

“I received--”

 

“Look Kye! Omelettes!” Donghae said, pulling you away.

 

“I have the feeling you don’t want me talking to Kyuhyun,” you whispered.

 

He sighed. “Was I too much?”

 

“A little bit,” you smiled at him and gave him a pat.

 

“I… I’m just…”

 

“Jealous?”

 

“Hell yes,” he sighed. “I’m afraid he’s gonna go sweep you off your feet anytime.”

 

“Donghae,” you crooned. “Even if he does, I’m pretty sure I’m gonna crash and fall since he doesn’t like me.”

 

“He...doesn’t like...you… right…” His brows furrowed.

 

“Heeeeey,” Kyuhyun popped out of nowhere again. “Kye, bacon and pancakes!”

 

“Where?!”

 

“Come with me!” He said happily.

 

Donghae held your hand. You smiled at him reassuringly. He breathed deeply and nodded before letting you go.

 

“What’s with you and Hae? Did you guys fight?” You whispered to Kyuhyun.

 

“Nah,” he shook his head. “He started being possessive, didn’t he?”

 

“Yeah… It’s cute, actually,” you said.

 

Kyuhyun looked at you. “I can be possessive too…”

 

“You are!” You laughed. “You are possessive! You won’t let me dance with anyone else during the wedding.”

 

“So I’m cute too?” He smiled wide.

 

Your cheeks burned in an instant. “Err… If you want to be, yeah,” you tried to pretend to be nonchalant about it.

 

Kyuhyun grinned widely at you. He grabbed the container of maple syrup and poured all over your pancake, just how you like it. He put it back and then tucked a lock of hair behind your ear. Your heart was palpitating again. He held your hand and laced your fingers with his.

 

“Let’s go back,” he said and pulled you back at your table.

 

Donghae was already there. He was trying to hide his worry but you can see it in his eyes… His eyes that followed you and your every move when you got back. You squeezed his hand subtly to let him relax a little.

 

“Oppa! Are you planning not to eat the whole day?!” Minah asked, staring at Kyuhyun’s plate. You didn’t notice how much food he got.

 

“What? I am starving. I barely had any time to eat with all the business meetings I have to attend to!” Kyuhyun complained while he stuffed his mouth with food.

 

“You didn’t eat?” You asked.

 

“Only three meals!” He said. “I wasn’t able to have snacks!!!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter