Chapter 9 :: Just Friends

P R O J E C T: Touch The Sky

this is part 2 of my birthday special! :))) yaaay! I hope you guys like it~


 

Chapter 9

 

Shinae smiled as she stood at one side of the room, with music blaring through the speakers, MinRin laughing and dancing with SungJong and SungYeol. HyeSu was talking animatedly with DooJoon and HyunSeung, since she knew the two of them from a few years ago through JiYong. EunJae was on another corner talking with Zico.

 

She was having fun on her birthday. It wasn’t the first time but she enjoyed this one a lot. She took a sip of her coke and smiled. “Hey.” Sunggyu’s voice called out from behind. She turned around and smiled at him. “Happy birthday.” He said.

 

Shinae slightly chuckled. “Thank you Sunggyu.” She said. “It’s sad that we didn’t get to have vocal training today. I was looking forward to it.” She told him and Sunggyu blushed a bit.

 

“Yeah, and it’s still at the end of the week that we’ll get to see each other.” He said and looked into his drink.

Shinae shrugged. “You can always come when one of the other infinite boys drop by. We don’t always have the same time for training anyway.” She told him and he smiled and nodded in reply, making his eyes completely disappear.

 

She was chatting with Sunggyu about her underground b-girl life. She noticed how JunHyung had his eyes on her the whole time. She tried to ignore him as much as she can, giving her full attention to Sunggyu. After a few minutes, DongWoo pulled Sunggyu away, borrowing him. Shinae nodded and excused herself to go outside to get some air.

 

She felt that JunHyung followed her, though that wasn’t her intention, she couldn’t cause a scene. She stopped walking a few feet from the swimming pool and took a deep breath. She turned around and saw JunHyung, standing there with a smile. “Happy birthday Shinae.” He said. She was surprised that he used her real name. “Are you surprised?” he asked.

 

Shinae sighed. “Why are you here JunHyung?” she asked him. “This isn’t a good idea you know.” She said and looked away. She couldn’t stand looking at him for too long. “We shouldn’t get caught.” She told him, laying her eyes on him again.

 

JunHyung shrugged. “It’s not like we’re still together right?” He said with a hint of bitterness in his voice. “I mean, you wanted this, so you’re the one who shouldn’t be affected at all.” He said and started walking towards her. She took one step back from each step he took towards her. He stopped walking and just looked at her. “Why are you walking away? Are you scared of me?” he asked.

 

Shinae shook her head. “I’m scared of me.” She told him which made JunHyung froze. “I’m scared that my feelings will get shook again. I’m scared of falling in love with you again.” She told him honestly. He opened his mouth, about to ask why when Shinae continued talking. “I know you’re going to ask why. It’s simply because we can’t be together JunHyung.” She told him, keeping her emotions in check. “We’re… too far away. We’ve drifted apart too much. I’ve… I’ve changed. You’ve changed. Our worlds are just miles apart.”

 

He completely understood what she was talking about. She was talking about the fame, the time lost, the full schedules, the crazy fan girls, the life of being an artist. She had never competed for his love before, his full undivided attention. But since he debuted, he rarely had time for her, he couldn’t see her as much as he would want to, but it wasn’t intentional. He loves her, there was no doubts about that.

 

“B,” he started. “I know it’s tiring. Physical and emotionally. I just want you to know that I will still support you. I want you to know that I’ll still be here, every single day. And that I’ll be here, waiting for you.” He told her. “I hope, we can stop being awkward, stop trying to dodge each other. And start being friends again.” He said. “I promise you, no funny business. Just… friends.” He said, holding out his hand.

 

Shinae hesitated but shook his hand. “Friends.” She said, pondering on the word. JunHyung smiled and nodded. Shinae pulled her hand away, “I think you should go inside first.” She said. JunHyung made a face but nodded and went inside. “Friends… with Yong JunHyung.” She said, sitting down on a couch on their porch.

 

“Why? Are you fighting with JunHyung?” Jay’s voice suddenly asked, coming out of the back door. He looked serious as he sat down beside Shinae. “Anything I can be of service to you?” Shinae smiled and waved her head. “I’m sorry, I overheard the whole conversation that you and JunHyung had.” He said, looking down then to Shinae. “You two… used to date?”

 

***

 

“Come on Minnie! Let’s dance!” YoSeob said, taking her hand as soon as Beautiful started playing. MinRin smiled and nodded then danced with YoSeob. MinRin was blushing, she had to admit, she crushed a little on YoSeob. Who wouldn’t? He was just so cute and he had the most amazing voice.

 

WooHyun sat there, beside Sunggyu with a slight pout. Sunggyu smiled and nudged him. “Come on, you were dancing with her almost the whole night.” Sunggyu said. WooHyun made a face and crossed his arms.

 

Minah watched her friends have fun. She wasn’t really close to any of the people in the house right now. HyeSu approached her and nudged her. She had a tall guy with her. “Minah unni, this is DongWoon from BEAST. He said he wanted to ask you for a dance.” HyeSu said with a naughty smile.

 

“HyeSu!” DongWoon said, in a complaining tone, nudging her in the process. “Hi Minah.” He said, holding up a hand and waving slightly. Minah smiled and said hi. “Wanna dance?” he asked and Minah nodded in reply.

 

HyeSu smiled, watching Minah and DongWoon dance awkwardly, talking in the process. “Aigoo~ these people.” She muttered under her breath.

 

“What people? Who are you talking to?” SungYeol asked as he appeared out of nowhere. HyeSu glared at him slightly but smiled. “Wanna dance?” he asked. HyeSu nodded in reply and joined the rest of her friends dancing the night away.