Chapter 19: Podemos Bailar Eternamente

To Your Heart

[A/N]

this fic reached 90 upvotes (*^*) 

taking this space to thank all the new people who voted, thank you so much! :))

tulip1, Awake-In-The-Night, michelle1, elmokyu, avis01,

shyr4, abcd345, kyuhyunmyheart, kyumin99, high_sky, leechocohyena, Mingsshi, nouvharyeo,

miyah16, stitchdepampam, dodo2302, alemrac, minniemgee, kpopandachan AND cehaming 

 <33

I hope everyone enjoys reading this chapter~ 


 

Chapter 19: Podemos Bailar Eternamente

 

 

 

"Can I walk with you?" 

 

Sungmin turned sharply at the velvety voice, only to see Kyuhyun looking at him with a soft smile. He gave a small nod and walked forwards as Kyuhyun fell in step with him.

 

The couple were walking slowly around the breathtaking gardens of the hotel, enjoying the comfort that the silence that the lush green trees and brambles provided them with. The morning was pleasantly warm, with the rays of the sun kissing their faces gently and breeze blowing and ruffling through their clothes.

 

 

"Did you sleep well last night?" Kyuhyun asked as they encircled the ceramic fountain, with the only sound accompanying them being the crunching of gravel underneath their feet and the gentle sound of the dripping waterfall.

 

"I did." Sungmin answered him with another smile. "Not even Sungjinnie's snores could keep me awake last night." He laughed, deciding not to talk about the part where bunnies and bears along with the presence of a certain someone  invaded his dreams. 

 

"That's good to know." Kyuhyun murmured and another bout of peace fell upon them.

 

 

"How's your ankl -"

 

 

"My ankle today is-" 

 

 

They laughed together at the synchronity of their questions and answers, and after they both had calmed down,  Sungmin smiled," My ankle is as good as it was earlier, a good night's sleep was all it needed."

 

"That's a relief." Kyuhyun confessed. "It would have been really unfortunate if it had taken a turn for the worse considering we have dance rehearsals this afternoon.. although for the love of God, I don't understand why should we indulge in such festivities as well, like really, dancing?"

 

 

"Hey it can't be that bad." Sungmin laughed lightly, shaking his head in amusement at how exasperated the taller man appeared. "Come on, it'll be fun! We'll all be together anyway so it won't be terrible."

 

Kyuhyun solemnly declared, "It is, trust me it always is." 

 

 

He never had pleasant memories when it came to dancing and there was a good story behind it too. You see a thirteen-year old Kyuhyun was a free-spirited soul.. dancing, full of passion and energy at his grandparent's fiftieth wedding anniversary, flapping his arms and limbs for all he was worth- without even having an inkling about the fact that they were being recorded. 

 

So being the source of all mockery and teasings at the family events, made him swear to condemn dancing for the rest of his life. Kyuhyun involuntarily shivered at the horrible memories.

 

 

 

Realizing that Kyuhyun was frozen by the fountain and wasn't walking with him, Sungmin turned back in question," Kyuhyun, everything okay?"

 

"Oh, yeah. Sorry." Kyuhyun shook his head to clear out his thoughts and proceeded to jog towards Sungmin. They walked around for a bit more with a sense of quietness about them. 

 

 

Sungmin paused beside a cherry blossoms tree and inhaled into its sweet scent deeply before transfixing his eyes over man standing beside him, "Kyuhyun?"

 

 

He swallowed. " I really want to thank you for getting the rehearsal cancelled yesterday."

 

 

"That wasn't me!" Kyuhyun denied quickly, just as how Sungmin expected him to do.  " Mom wanted to have an early family dinner so that's why it was cancelled, I had nothing to do w- "

Sungmin could easily see that Kyuhyun was lying; with the obvious tension in his shoulders and the dilation of his pupils was indication enough. 

 

He smiled.

 

" You don't have to pretend anymore, Kyuhyun. I know it was you." Sungmin whispered gently. He squeezed a flustered Kyuhyun's arm affectionately and murmured, " Just know that I'm touched and very grateful. Thank you."

 

 

"It was nothing." Kyuhyun uttered under his breath, barely audible but Sungmin caught him anyway. He just smiled and resumed walking, completely missing how red the tip of Kyuhyun's ears had become due to embarrassment and awkwardness. 

 

 

Rest of the walk back to the entrance of the gardens was silent. Kyuhyun was deep in thought, he had absolutely no clue as to how Sungmin managed to get a whim of his involvement in yesterday's episode and he was determined to find out how.

He suspected that Ahra had to do with it somehow, she always seemed to be so eager to push them together. Sometimes Kyuhyun really wished she didn't meddle so much, he was quite satisfied with how things were going on between them. 

 

 

"I guess I'll see you later~" A voice cut through his train of thoughts, Kyuhyun looked up to see that they had walked to the front of the hotel and he barely even realized it.

 

"And Kyuhyun...." 

 

"Thank you for your present last night, it's absolutely adorable. And I love it." Sungmin spoke quickly before pushing open the door and rushing inside leaving a gaping Kyuhyun behind. 

 

"See you later, Sungmin." He murmured with loony grin over his lips. And as Kyuhyun returned back to his room, there was a very noteworthy skip in his footsteps.

 

 

***

 

 

"Sungmin hyung, I'm beat." Sungjin moaned and flung himself over the bed. "The dance instructor was so brutal hyung, Jongjin and I got completely thrashed all over the ballroom."

 

"Stop exaggerating, Jin." Sungmin commented barely lifting his head up. Although he was on temporary leave, Sungmin had some documents he needed to type in urgently and approve.. and it went without saying, a person with a job, couldn't truly be on vacation.

 

 

"He was really handsome though. " Sungjin commented thoughtfully. "He was so gorgeous. Too bad he is ten years elder to me."

 

"And also you have Jongjin." Sungmin pointed out with a shake of his head as Sungjin giggled.

 

 

"Hyung, you're scheduled for the afternoon, right? The oldies were on for early morning while Jongjinnie and I were for late morning along with a bunch of his cousins.. that leaves you and Kyuhyun for the afternoon." Sungjin beamed. "I get the room all to myself."

 

"Now now don't get any crazy ideas mister." Sungmin warned. "This isn't our home so you cannot blow a hole through the roof, okay? Be nice."

 

 

Sungjin stuck out his tongue while his hyung wasn't looking and walked to the closet. "Sungmin hyung? Where'd you get this cute bunny?" 

 

 

Sungmin moved from where he was sitting, with his neck turning with so much of agility, it was a wonder he didn't have a whiplash. His eyes widened in horror as Sungjin kept mauling the soft fur of the plush and he shrieked loudly.

 

"Sungjin no!" 

 

Sungjin stopped poking the bunny's glassy eyes and looked up in confusion. Sungmin bounded up to his brother in quick steps and snatched the plushie away with a glare. "Don't ruin its fur with your poking and pinching, Sungjin! Paws off my property." 

 

Sungjin's eyebrows quirked up in surprise and he slowly took a step back,"Jeez its just a plushie." He looked at how his elder brother put the bunny back into the closet and his voice pitched an octave," Kyuhyun hyung gave it to you, didn't he?!"

 

 

Seeing the answer was pretty obvious from the way how Sungmin averted his gaze, Sungjin groaned, "Hyung, you're hopeless!"

 

"Get out of the room, and let me work in peace, you brat." Sungmin barked and pushed a struggling Sungjin out of the room and shut the door with a bang. Sungmin stared at the closet and groaned, why did Sungjin have to have his rare moments of being clever now?

 

Two hours later, Sungmin had fallen asleep over his laptop when Sungjin came into the room screaming his head off, "Hyung, what the hell, you're sleeping?!" 

 

He walked over to his elder brother and frowned," You're gonna be really late for the dance rehearsals, if you don't wake up now."  Seeing no response, Sungjin decided on the last resort, oh yes he played dirty.

 

 

 

"Sungmin hyung, I accidentally poured coffee over your plushie!" He screamed in mock horror.

 

Of course it brought out the desired results, for Sungmin's eyes shot open and he asked, "You did what now?!"

 

 

 

"Just kiddin~" Sungjin giggled and skipped out of the way, neatly avoiding being hit by a flying pillow. 

Sungmin roughly ruffled his little brother's hair and muttered,"I really don't like you right now but thank you for waking me up."

 

 

He quickly donned on a pair of black slacks with an baby blue tee shirt and black converse shoes to finish with and drew his fingers into his hair rapidly, settling it down to a jazzy hairstyle before bidding Sungjin goodbye. "Don't do anything I wouldn't do." He warned. "And anything you order from room sevice is coming right out of your pockets."

 

 

 

"Hyung~" Sungjin whined pitifully causing Sungmin to roll his eyes as he opened the door to the room.

He knew perfectly well that the minute he was gone, Sungjin would probably order loads of greasy foods and he would probably end up paying for it anyway because- that's what elder siblings do, right?

 

 

***

 

 

When Sungmin reached the ballroom and found it to be completely empty, he cursed.

Sungjin probably had told him to hurry up because the little vixen wanted to have the room to himself. Since he had been groggy from his slumber, Sungmin had been too dumb to check the time and hurried like his brother had told him to. 

 

Such an idiot

 

He groaned and walked into the ballroom slowly, the smooth shimmering floor causing his shoes to make sharp clicking sounds against the surface.  He nearly jumped out of his skin when a sleek voice spoke from the corner of the room. "You're here for the afternoon batch?"

 

A very handsome young man smiled at Sungmin was he walked closer to where he was standing. Damn, Sungjin wasn't kidding when he had said that the dance instructor was gorgeous. "Is this for Cho Ahra and Kim Yesung's wedding?" Sungmin asked slowly.

 

"Of course, it's the only wedding taking place in this magnificent hotel after all." The man reassured him with another dazzling grin.

 

"Oh, I see. Just making sure." Sungmin stated as a matter of fact. 

 

 

"Alright then, I'm Choi Siwon and I'm your dance instructor for the next two days." Siwon smiled and put out his arm for a handshake. "Are you supposed to be Cho Kyuhyun, my possible most difficult client as warned to me by the bride?" 

 

Sungmin had to laugh at that.

 

 

"No that would be my - uhm " He stumbled over his words causing Siwon to quirk up his eyebrows. "My friend." He finished lamely. 

 

 

"I'm Lee Sungmin." He smiled, shaking Siwon's hand for a gentle handshake. "Ah so you're the one who's paired with Cho Kyuhyun for the dance?" 

 

Sungmin laughed awkwardly," Yep, that would be me."

 

 

 

 

"I'm gonna teach you how to Cha-Cha." Siwon stated thoughtfully. "It's an energetic dance of the Cuban origin. Sensual, steady and rhythmic." Sungmin nodded, of course he had to Cha-Cha with Kyuhyun, someone whom he couldn't even label his relationship properly.

 

 

 

"Shall we begin?"

 

 

"But Kyuhyun isn't here yet." 

 

 

"Oh that's alright, I just want to see how you're gonna move on stage." Siwon smiled and put his arm over Sungmin's , gently leading him near the mirrorlite. He pushed a button on the small remote control and smooth music echoed through the room. 

 

"Now the basic rhythm is one, two, three chachacha.. three, four chachacha. And the most important thing in this dance is the hip movement and the footwork, I'm gonna demonstrate you one of the steps and just play along, alright? Come here and I'll show you." Siwon murmured.

 

 

 

He placed his arm on Sungmin's back and guided the both of them to the centre of the ballroom. "So, Sungmin are you ready to Cha-Cha?" Siwon swayed dazzingly.

 

"Let's do it." Sungmin spoke determinately.

 

 

 

 "So the first thing we need to learn is to manage our weight on the balls of our feet. I can see that you're graceful so this shouldn't be a problem." Siwon observed. "Follow me."

 

 

"One, two, three chachacha." He moved forwards and backwards,  " three, four, chachacha." 

 

 

 

"You're doing great, Sungmin." Siwon complimented, "If you're gonna be the lead in this dance, you're gonna take a rockstep backward while Kyuhyun-shi will follow you and do the rockstep forward and then you two switch, got that?"

 

Sungmin nodded. It would be preferable if he was to lead the dance, for obvious reasons...one for being, Kyuhyun claimed not to know how to dance, but hey you never know right?

 

 

 

"You put your complete weight the foot which is your left in this case, without picking up the trailing foot and then shift your entire weight back onto the right foot." He instructed. "That's it, perfect. Well done, Sungmin." 

 

A sudden commotion near the door caused the Siwon to tear his eyes from Sungmin's hips. "Oh the rest of our class have decided to join in." Siwon smiled. "Sungmin, you can keep practicing this move, I'll check on the rest of the people." 

 

 

Sungmin transfixed his eyes on his feet and slowly revised the steps with complete concentration, not even registering that Kyuhyun had sneakily walked behind him.  

"Hello Sungmin." Kyuhyun whispered lowly causing the former to gasp out in surprise. He stood back with grin over his lips, feeling rather amused at Sungmin's indignant face. 

 

"Kyuhyun, you startled me!" Sungmin complained, placing his palm over his clothed chest, trying to get himself to calm down.

 

 

"I'm sorry, you looked so into it, I couldn't resist." Kyuhyun chuckled as Sungmin turned his eyes back to the mirror, grumbling lightly to himself.

 

"So you're pretty early to class, huh? Excited much?" 

 

 

Sungmin rolled his eyes and spoke sourly, "Not really. Let's just say that stuff happens when you have a gremlin for a brother." He then fixed his gaze onto the mirrorlite in front of him, and proceeded to sway to the music, chanting the counts silently in his head. 

 

 

"Wow, you're really good at this." Kyuhyun commented in awe, watching how gracefully Sungmin moved over the floor. The man was full of elegance and grandeur, he declared. 

 

"I learnt from the best, Siwon is a very good teacher." Sungmin smiled, nodding at the dance instructor across the ballroom. 

 

"Siwon?" Kyuhyun quirked up his eyebrows in confusion. 

 

 

 

"Yeah, that handsome man in black slacks across the ballroom." Sungmin answered absentmindedly. 

 

A small frown etched across Kyuhyun's face as he watched the dance instructor across the room, talking to a couple of people with an alluring smile on his face.

"Handsome, huh?" Kyuhyun murmured under his breath, his gaze hardening as Siwon's eyes flickered over Sungmin for a second before resuming to talk to his other clients. 

 

 

 

"Did you say something Kyuhyun?" 

 

"No no, nothing." Kyuhyun mumbled quickly. Siwon nodded to the couple of people and walked towards the two of them with a smile. 

 

 

"Sungmin, I think you're ready for the next level- the chasse. " Siwon declared smoothly, earning a happy look from the shorter male. "And oh. " He noticed Kyuhyun standing there beside them, with a wave of negative energy radiating from him.

 

"You must be Cho Kyuhyun?" 

 

 

"Yeah, that's me." Kyuhyun answered gruffly.

 A smile reached over Siwon's lips as he stretched out his arm for a handshake. "You have nothing to be worried about, Kyuhyun. I'm confident that you and Sungmin will be able to pull off a brilliant performance by the time I'm done with you two. I'll take care of you both really good, alright? "

 

 

"I wasn't worried." Kyuhyun narrowed his eyes, deciding that he didn't like the lingering squeeze that the dance instructor gave him before withdrawing his arm back. 

 

Siwon clapped his hands twice to grab the attention of the people in the ballroom and smiled dazzingly.

 

"Let's Cha-Cha."

 

 

***

 

 

"I'm never gonna take your word for anything, ever again." Sungmin heaved out, looking at Kyuhyun move from the corner of his eyes. 

 

"W-what?!" Kyuhyun squeaked out in surprise. "What do you mean?"

 

Sungmin narrowed his eyes and spoke, " Cho Kyuhyun why did you lie to me when you said you didn't do dance. You don't !"

 

"I did not lie!" Kyuhyun protested.  "If I really want to do something, I can pull it off but then I'm not even good at it...you're far more better, Sungmin."

 

"I am not. And don't you dare underestimate yourself! You're doing great." 

 

Kyuhyun sighed. He knew that he couldn't dance to save a life and it was just Sungmin trying to boost his confidence, he really wished that he could do well that Sungmin would actually mean it, some day.

 

 

The truth was that Kyuhyun was seriously trying his best. His lungs were about to explode from the amount of exertion and exercise but the man wanted to appear cool in front of Sungmin, especially since a certain dance instructor made a point to plaster himself over the shorter man on a constant basis. 

 

If it wasn't Sungmin's hips, it was his back.. or his legs, Siwon had to touch Sungmin, helping him to stretch out his limbs or showing him a 'difficult' step...  pfft, pish posh!

 

 

Sungmin gazed at Kyuhyun's sweaty forehead and heaving chest in worry. "Kyuhyun, you look kinda tense, maybe you should take a breather for a few?"

 

"No no, I'm fine." Kyuhyun insisted, earning a skeptical look from Sungmin. "I haven't done this in a long time, that's all." He chuckled breathily. 

 

 

"Alright class!" Siwon's voice echoed around the ballroom. "Now that all of you are comfortable with the basics, we shall move on to level two which is dancing with a partner." 

 

"Since Sungmin is way ahead of everyone in the class... " Siwon grinned earning a couple of chuckles around the ballroom, "I wanna ask him to be my partner for a demonstration, if you please Sungmin?" 

 

 

 

"I wouldn't say I'm ahead." Sungmin mumbled under his breath and smiled bashfully, walking towards Siwon to the front of the group, leaving a mildly annoyed Kyuhyun behind. "Now watch Sungmin closely, all of you." Siwon's voice raised a pitch. 

 

 

He placed his arm around Sungmin's waist and brought their bodies closer. He gently whispered," Resist the temptation to look down to your feet,  keep your eyes forward, okay? Just follow me and you'll be fine."

Sungmin nodded nervously, he knew that he kept looking towards the floor to keep a track of his footwork.. he would have to be mindful of that.

 

One of the ladies switched on the music player and rich, smooth latin notes poured from the speakers. Siwon placed his arm over Sungmin's hips and lead the shorter male across the floor, with their bodies moving in synchronization.

Sure Sungmin had been nervous as hell when he first started but then he observed that Siwon was speaking the truth about dancing Cha-Cha with a partner would be easy.

 

"That was a good start, excellent. Thank you Sungmin." Siwon smiled. He spoke encouragingly to all the people in the ballroom, "You just needed to trust your partner and you both will be flawless. Now please get together with your partners and start practicing!"

 

Sungmin walked towards the spot where Kyuhyun was standing and smiled with his dimples in," Hello, partner."

 

 

Kyuhyun swallowed. "You were so great out there and I- "

 

"You're gonna be fine, Kyuhyun." Sungmin interrupted, easily seeing that Kyuhyun was starting to be all jittery about them.

 

"I'm gonna screw things up, aren't I?"

 

"Just trust me on this, okay? We are gonna be fine." Sungmin stressed upon his words with a comforting squeeze to Kyuhyun's arm. "Now come with me." Wrapping his fingers around a reluctant Kyuhyun's wrist, he dragged the taller male to a secluded spot beside the mirrorlite. 

 

"Put your hand on my waist."

 

"w-w-what?!"

 

"Come on, it's no big deal. I won't hold on to our contract now." Sungmin joked, thinking about how he'd threatened to hurt the latter if he ever tried to touch him.

 

It seemed like such a long time ago, and they were much more closer than they used to be. It was surprising, but not all together bad about how much at ease he felt with Kyuhyun...sure they had some awkward moments but hey they were friends now, or at least he hoped they were.

 

"Cho Kyuhyun mind your feet!"

 

 

"You just elbowed me in the stomach, Kyuhyun what did you expect me to do?!"

 

 

"Kyuhyun you stepped on my toes again."

 

 

"Kyuhyun!"

 

 

 

Sungmin was utterly exhausted by the end of the session and he was pretty sure that he would have a couple of bruises over his stomach later. Kyuhyun looked so apologetic and sad that he didn't have the heart to say anything.

 

"I can't do this anymore." Kyuhyun slid down onto the floor of the ballroom, with his back resting against the mirrolite, "I think you should just perform at Ahra's wedding with Siwon..he's much better than I am. I'll just embarrass you." He muttered dejectedly.

 

Sungmin frowned. Although Kyuhyun was clumsy with his footwork, he didn't really at dancing. He didn't quite like how the latter seemed to have given up when Sungmin could clearly see that Kyuhyun was performing much better than he did an hour ago. 

 

He was sure that it would take Kyuhyun just a couple more hours of practice before mastering the dance steps. "I'm not giving up yet, Kyuhyun so don't you dare to!" He crouched beside the seemingly exhausted man.

 

"And who cares if we end screwing things up."

 

 

"Even if we trip on our feet, so what? Let's have fun out there, embarrass ourselves and enjoy without worrying about what anyone thinks." Sungmin urged and stretched out his arm towards Kyuhyun to help him up.

 

And as Kyuhyun grabbed a hold of his arm, he murmured softly," And I could never perform with Siwon.. he means nothing to me. I don't want him. I want you."

 

Kyuhyun didn't know what to say. He felt his heart skip a beat as he stood up beside Sungmin once again. Kyuhyun looked into Sungmin's hopeful eyes and smiled, "Okay."

 

"Let's start again." Kyuhyun murmured, with renewed energy running through his veins as Sungmin's face light up into a beautiful smile. 

 

 

 

Fourty-five minutes later, all the people were packing up their belongings together to leave; bidding Siwon goodbye and thanking him for his help with promises to meet up with the dance instructor the following day for more practice.  The wedding was two days away followed by the reception party- the day when all the couples, young and old alike would showcase a dance for the newly wedded couple.

 

Sungmin was tying his shoelaces together as he waited for Kyuhyun to fetch a bottle of water when Siwon walked towards him. "Did you have fun today?" He spoke with a grin as Sungmin stood up from his crouching position.

 

Sungmin smiled. "Yes it was." 

 

"You've improved a lot," Siwon commented slowly "I'm sure you're gonna be amazing when you perform in a couple of day's time."

 

"I sure hope so," Sungmin spoke thoughtfully. "I'm still getting used to dancing with a partner though, I hope Kyuhyun and I can work on it more tomorrow." 

 

He turned to gather his and Kyuhyun's belongings together when he felt a gentle touch on his arm. He quirked up his eyebrows in surprise when Siwon retracted his arm sheepishly. "Yes?" Sungmin managed to ask.

 

"Sungmin, I was wondering if you'd like to get a cup of coffee with me or something?" Siwon spoke with a smile. 

 

"Oh."

 

 

Sungmin pursed his lips awkwardly, not knowing how to answer as Siwon had his eyes fixed hopefully on him. He was about to open his mouth to answer when his gaze shifted to Kyuhyun walking back towards the ballroom while waving a bottle of water at him from the distance. He smiled. 

 

Sungmin turned towards the dance instructor who was still waiting for an answer and spoke apologetically,"I'm sorry, Siwon but I can't...I already have plans and and- "

 

"I'm with Kyuhyun." He murmured with a small smile gracing his lips as he watched Kyuhyun coming closer to the room in which they were in.

Siwon followed his gaze and understanding filled into his features. He nodded and bid Sungmin goodbye before taking his leave swiftly.

 

 

As Kyuhyun was entering the ballroom, Siwon whispered softly, "You're one lucky man, you know that? He really likes you." Siwon rubbed shoulders with Kyuhyun's as he exited the room, leaving Kyuhyun to wonder what the hell was that all about.

 

 

Deciding not to think about what Siwon said, Kyuhyun walked closer towards Sungmin. "Hey Sungmin, I bought some coconut water for you.. it's known to replenish electrolytes." He spoke with a smile.

 

Seeing Sungmin simply staring at him, Kyuhyun laughed awkwardly,"I could always get something else if you don't like it."

 

That seemed to have woken Sungmin up from the gawking, and the man quickly grabbed the canned bottle from Kyuhyun's hands, "No no, it's perfectly fine." Sungmin opened the bottle swiftly and drank it's contents, as the sweet flavor of the coconut invaded his tastebuds, filling him with new energy. 

 

"Kyuhyun?"

 

 

"Yeah?"

 

 

"Wanna go out with me?"