Chapter 14: Let's Bake!

To Your Heart

 


 

 Chapter 14: Let's Bake!

 

"Half a tea-spoon of baking powder, few drops of vanilla extract, and powdered sugar." Ahra mumbled sticking out her tongue in concentration, adding the ingredients into a mixing bowl. 

 

It was Sunday morning, a week before Yesung was to be wedded to Ahra, and Cho Ahra was on the path of trying to bake for what seemed to be the 1234578th time. 

 

She had been really exhausted with the previous day's trips to the wedding dress makers, choosing the perfect wedding dress was the most crucial preparation to a woman's big day after all. Everything had to be perfect.

 

 

So the day ended up with Ahra dragging her little Kyubaby and her mommy around the city; almost killing Kyuhyun with her indecisiveness. And oh yeah, it goes without saying that Kyuhyun was hit on the head quite a few number of times by a frustrated Ahra for he was absolutely of no use rather than to whine and complain the entire time. 

 

 

And today, Yesung and Kyuhyun were scheduled to out together to get their measurements taken for tuxedos specially stitched for the upcoming wedding. 


“I have to finish baking these muffins before Kyubaby wakes up.” Ahra mumbled to herself determinedly, not wanting to have Kyuhyun ridiculing her rusty cooking skills. 

 


Ahra liked to immerse herself with tasks and chores whenever she felt stressed or worried. And like all brides, she had what was called pre-wedding jitters. 


 Keeping herself occupied was good, it kept her mind away from thinking about the negative thoughts and pointless worries and it kept her calm. Well not really calm cause you see, Cho Ahra did not know even the letter B of baking. 

 


Ahra shrieked and ran to the other side of the kitchen counter for protection as the mixing equipment went haywire and started spluttering out the batter in all directions. 

 

 

“No no no no no no.”

 


She wailed at the state of the kitchen; sugar granules scattered all around the floor, the baking mixture sliding off the chandelier, cacao powder sprinkled all over the counter like pixie dust .

 

It was a disaster. 

 


Ahra really wanted to bake something delicious for once! She sighed in dismay; it looked like she had a hell lot of cleaning up to do.

 

Her little Kyubaby was still sleeping in and their parents had gone to the country club, giving Ahra ample amount of time to make sure that the kitchen looked as good as new.  

 

Ahra stomped towards the couch and sent the cook book flying across the room; all her attempts to bake something delicious for Yesung; who seemed rather fond of pastries and muffins, but they went all in vain. What she needed wasn't a couple of lines of instructions. What she needed was someone to teach her, someone like.. someone like

 

 

Sungmin!

 


A joyous grin broke out on Ahra's face and she scuttled upstairs to find her Kyubaby's cellphone cause surely Sungmin's number would be in it.


She tiptoed into Kyuhyun’s room and held her breath while reaching for the phone situated on the bedside table. She nearly squealed reading the exchange of texts between them.

 

 

 

"AH HA!" Ahra yelled gleefully with her toes squiggling in unconcealed excitement;  Kyubaby and Sungminnie were too adorable!  


She gasped and clasped her palm over as Kyuhyun mumbled something incoherently under his breath before turning over on his tummy. Clutching Kyuhyun’s phone to her chest tightly, she stole out of the room; breathing a sigh of relief as she successfully got out of her brother’s room alive. 

 


She scrolled down the list of contacts and pursed her lips together dialing Sungmin’s number, impatiently waiting for him to pick up the phone. 


“You’re up? The Cho Kyuhyun is awake at this hour on a Sunday?” Sungmin’s amused voice came through the phone and Ahra giggled quietly to herself.

 

“Good morning!” Ahra greeted.

 

 

Sungmin blinked in confusion, what the hell- a woman was greeting him... using Kyuhyun’s phone.

 

Early morning? That did not just happen.  

 

 

 

He frowned and glanced down at the screen again, maybe he read the ID incorrectly,” I’m sorry but who’s this?” Sungmin asked briefly.

 

“Sungminnie it’s me, Ahra.” She pouted into the mouthpiece of the phone, twiddling her thumbs about nervously, hoping that she would be successful to convince Sungmin to help her.

 

 

“Ahra Noona! How are you Noona?” Sungmin asked comfortably, feeling rather silly for being all bothered about the female voice speaking previously.

 


“Not so good.” She admitted looking at the flour coated kitchen counter.

 

 

 

“You see, I was trying to bake some muffins for Yesung but my cooking skills are a bit...lacking. I tried reading some recipes but nothing seems to be working! ”


“Do you want me to stop by your place?” Sungmin asked in amusement. Ahra fist pumped into the air and pretended to answer meekly,”If it isn’t much-”

 

 

“Oh nonsense. I was just wondering whether I should drop off the banana bread I promised Kyuhy- um.. I- ” Sungmin faltered feeling embarrassed all of a sudden. 

 

“What I meant to say is that...I would love to stop by.” He finished sheepishly as Ahra grinned to herself.

 


Perfect.

 

~~~~

 

 

“That’s salt no Ahra noona stop!” Sungmin shouted as Ahra was about to dump a heaped teaspoon into the mixing bowl. 


“Oops.” Ahra giggled as Sungmin sweat dropped.  

 

 

 

This was gonna be a long day. 

 

 


He left Ahra momentarily to grab some sticks of unsalted butter and cold milk from the refrigerator only to yell out horrified, as she was about to squish an egg into her palms. 


“Noona, you crack the egg gently like this.” Sungmin explained patiently while demonstrating skillfully and separating the egg yolk from the white shells.

 

 

 

Ahra nodded her head solemnly and placed both her arms behind her back; listening diligently to Sungmin. 

So the next half an hour passed by with Ahra taking down notes neatly as Sungmin taught her everything about baking a simple chocolate muffin; from the perfect method of melting the bittersweet chocolate chunks to greasing the paper molds and preheating the oven. 

 

 


Ahra glanced at Sungmin with twinkling eyes as she finally pushed the tray into the oven with an excited squeal,”Thank you so much, Sungminnie! Noona is eternally grateful.” 

 

Sungmin scratched his nape awkwardly and said with a smile,”Nah, it’s okay Noona. I’m happy to help.” 

 

 

“Sungminnie, did you have breakfast yet?” Ahra asked while plopping down the kitchen stool and tying her brown hair into a neat bun. Seeing Sungmin hesitant she proceeded to clap her hands together and blabbered excitedly,”Noona will make you pancakes and eggs!” 

 


Sungmin glanced at her skeptically and she pouted,”You don’t believe Noona, Sungminnie?”


“It’s not that Noona, but you see I don’t want you to hurt yourself... Well you aren’t really the most skillful chefs around.” Sungmin finished sheepishly with a small smile.

 


Ahra eyed him incredulously for a second making Sungmin worry that he’d offended her but then she started laughing heartily,”I can see why Kyubaby likes you. You’re both so snarky and cute!”

 

“N-noona! I- ” 

 

 

“I know, I know.” Ahra patted Sungmin’s arm knowingly while jumping off the stool gently. “How about Noona chops the vegetables while you handle the eggs?” She smiled.

 


~~~~~


“Kyubaby! Wakey wakey~” Ahra cooed and swung the curtains open, flooding the room with eye-blinding sunlight; Kyuhyun simply groaned and buried his nose further into the pillows, mumbling a weak go away to Ahra.

 

“Noona what the hell!? The appointment for the tuxedo fitting is in the afternoon!” Kyuhyun protested adamantly as Ahra stomped towards his bed stripping off the blanket.

 


“Trust me on this Kyu, you’re gonna thank me later.” She exclaimed and then shoved Kyuhyun into the bathroom, drowning the rest of his protests.

 

 

Kyuhyun grumbled at Ahra’s treatment, but as much as he wanted to yell at her; he couldn’t. His elder sister was getting married in a weeks time and after that he’d probably see less of her after she moves in with Yesung. So of course he wanted to be as docile as his nerves allowed him to be.

 

Suppressing a yawn, Kyuhyun descended down the stairs, shuffling his feet quietly together only to be surprised at a guest sitting on the stool of the kitchen counter.

 

 

Sungmin sipped a little of his freshly brewed coffee and smiled at Kyuhyun’s taken aback expression,” Good morning sunshine.”


“Sungmin!” Kyuhyun spluttered out staring at the man in bewilderment. “What are you doing here?!” 

 

 


Ahra giggled and pointed to the kitchen counter where freshly baked chocolate chunk muffins and banana bread were resting,” Surprise?” 

 

“I baked all morning for my Kyubaby.” Ahra exclaimed, squirming as Kyuhyun threw her an I-don’t believe-you look; much to Sungmin’s amusement.

 


“Suuuuuure.”

 

 

Ahra punched Kyuhyun lightly and whined,” You both are really meant for each other; I can cook too you know? Hmph!”

 

 

Ahra giggled sneakily as both the men flushed bright and started mumbling incoherent excuses, she dragged Kyuhyun near to where Sungmin was seated and spoke,” Sit down Kyubaby, Noona will bring you food~”

 

“So.”  Kyuhyun started awkwardly secretly thanking heaven’s he had groomed himself before leaving his room, just thinking about Sungmin seeing him in his boxers was embarrassing enough as it is.

 

 

 

“You’re here!” 

 

 

Sungmin bit back a chuckle and nodded solemnly,”I’m here.”

 

 

“Uhm what I mean to say is that.. thank you for these.” Kyuhyun amended smoothly eyeing the sweet treats on the counter. 

 

Ahra returned with a porcelain plate laded with fresh eggs, pancakes and banana muffins and she slid it over to Kyuhyun with a smile,”Come on, eat up!” 


“Noona, I should really get going.” Sungmin announced regretfully after watching Kyuhyun eating up the breakfast he cooked for a couple of minutes. Cooking for people and seeing them enjoying his food always made Sungmin the happiest, and Kyuhyun here was no execption.

 


“Oh nonsense! Stay and accompany Kyunnie and Yesunggie to the tuxedo fittings today afternoon.” Ahra pleaded not wanting Sungmin to leave so quickly.

 

She knew she was pushing them together both a bit too much but these two were so dense headed and awkward and she couldnt help but meddle.

 

 


Sungmin shook his head in negation and answered apologetically,”I can’t noona, Sungjin and I have already got ours stitched last week and I kinda have prior engagements this afternoon.”

 


“Oh.”

 

Seeing Ahra look crest fallen, he hurriedly went on to expain, ”Me and Sungjin are flying out to Jeju on Sunday! We’ll be there a couple of days after mum and dad would... Jin has classes and I kinda have my leave at work starting at the end of this week.” 

 

Kyuhyun tucked in more of eggs and muffins as Ahra’s ears twitched,” You’re leaving on Sunday?”

 

“Uh huh.” 

 


“Sunday is the 24th of this month, right? Kyubaby is catching a plane on that day too!” Ahra yelled out in excitement while thumping her brother’s back who promptly choked on the bread.

 

After a couple of minutes of Kyuhyun mainly glaring at Ahra, and Sungmin scrambling to his feet to fetch water for the choking male; Kyuhyun swallowed and spoke while breathing heavily,” Have some business meetings scheduled on Saturday so I can’t leave office before Sunday.” 

 


Ignoring Ahra’s whispers of him being workaholic, Kyuhyun asked looking mildly interested,” I’m scheduled to fly out in the late evening.” 

 


“Oh my gosh, me too!” Sungmin exclaimed feeling surprised at the coincidence. 

 

 


Ahra giggled and spoke happily,” Kyubaby you can accompany Sungminnie and his brother! Perfect.”

 

-tbc-


[A/N]

I wonder how many people are gonna brick me for updating this after so many months ;~; The thing is that this has been lying dormant in my drafts.Although this fic is my baby- I'm feeling a little unmotivated to write.. I'm not a type of an author who'd force people to comment. 

 

BUT hearing from everyone would definitely make me want to update more, because I feel that none would miss this if I don't update OTL

 

So say anything you want, thank you so much for sticking to this fic <33

 

Talk to me :33 ~ Twitter, Tumblr