Dates, Duck Plushies, and the Hard Reality

You're Taken?

Jongdae stood in front of the mirror. He’d fixed his hair more times than he count, and was seriously nervous about this afternoon. He wasn’t sure if he was nervous for the actual date, or nervous that even with it, he wouldn’t get over Minseok. He hoped it was the first one.

There was a sudden knock at the door, making Jongdae jump. Grabbing his stuff and opening the door, he was faced with one of the most beautiful people he’d ever seen. Jongdae couldn’t feel anything for him yet despite physical attraction, but he couldn’t deny that this was a face he wouldn’t mind getting used to.

“Hello,” he said bowing slighly, whilst letting out a smile that Jongdae thought was too beautiful to exist. “I’m Joonmyun, but people call me Suho as well.”

Jongdae bowed back to the same degree, shaking his hand and smiling. “I’m Jongdae,” he said, “It’s great to meet you.” Usually Jongdae felt that meeting someone new was awkward, but there was just something about Joonmyun’s presence that he felt comfortable with.

“You too,” Joonmyun responded, eyes smiling. “Are you uh, ready to go?”

Jongdae nodded, “Yeah, unless you want to stay here for a while. Your choice?”

Joonmyun giggled, and Jongdae thought that it was the second most beautiful giggle in the world.

With a quick yell to Tao that he was going out, Jongdae stepped out the door into the hallway. The elevator ride should have been uncomfortable- the two being enclosed in a room, on a date with each other the first time they ever met. Thus, Jongdae’s unease came from the fact that this wasn’t happening.

Suho obviously picked up on this. “Are you alright? Am I doing anything to make you uncomfortable?”

Jongdae shook his head, “Oh no no no,” he said quickly, “I’m just thinking.”

The elevator reached the bottom floor and dinged as it opened. Both boys stepped out, Jongdae trailing slightly behind Suho.  The warm spring air hit them as they stepped out the door from the apartment block, and Suho led him to his car. Like a true gentleman, he opened the door for Jongdae and held it as he entered, before lightly shutting it and getting into the driver’s seat.

Luhan had already told him that it was a lunch date, but Jongdae was curious to ask where they were going. The atmosphere between the two was still comfortable, and Jongdae was really thankful about how easy Joonmyun was to be around. The car ride wasn’t too long, but Jongdae found out a lot in that period of time. He found Suho was a year older than himself, and that he and Luhan had been friends before he had gone to university because they both sung. He found out that although he was on good terms with everyone else (except for Yixing, who he'd never met) he was only really close with Luhan. He was invited when everyone met Jongdae for the first time and when it was Minseok’s birthday, but he’d been in America with his parents on both occasions.

They ended up having lunch at a cute cafe, and afterwards they walked around for a bit before they stumbled across an arcade. Jongdae tried to stop the googly eyes he was giving it until Suho pushed him inside, telling him that he was glad because he wanted to go too. Joonmyun won Jongdae a plush duck from one of those claw machines, telling him that they looked similar. Jongdae laughed, before taking the toy and cuddling it.

They played Dance Dance Revolution, and despite the dancing machine he was, Jongdae’s got whipped by Suho. He won back his pride via strategically placed bananas on Mario Kart.

Two and a half hours later, the two boys walked out of the arcade absolutely spent. Deciding it was best to go home, they walked to Joonmyun’s car. The ride was filled with easy conversation, and Jongdae found it amazing how they’d became so close in just a few hours. He’d felt like he’d known Suho for years, and was thinking that maybe, just maybe, he could get over Minseok now.

Joonmyun dropped him at his doorstop, waiting as Jongdae fished around his pockets for his key. Finding them and grabbing them, they traded phone numbers and said goodbye.

“Thanks for today,” Jongdae said, slightly nervous, “It was uh- really nice...”

Suho smiled one of the most genuine smile’s Jongdae had ever seen. “It was my pleasure.”

“I’m sorry you spent all that money on me at the arcade.”

“Don’t worry, it was nothing,” Suho laughed, eyes turning into half-moons.

Jongdae fiddled with the key in the door lock, and managed to get it open. He turned around and hugged Joonmyun, who surprised him with a kiss on his cheek. “I’ll see you soon?” he asked, slightly stunned.

“Of course,” Joonmyun said, before giving a final wave, turning around and walking back to the elevator.

Jongdae stepped into the flat with a smile on his face, and noticed that Tao had seen the whole thing and was smirking at him from his chair. He wolf-whistled, causing Jongdae to blush and hit him. Laughing, Tao pulled out his phone and messaged someone. Jongdae assumed it was Luhan, and that in a few minutes he’d get some sort of phone call.

“So, that looks like it turned out well,” Tao sung.

“Shut up.” Jongdae muttered, clutching his duck plushie.

“Aww, he got you that? That’s so cute wow oh my-”

Tao’s speech was interrupted when the plushie collided with his face.

“Gosh Jongdae, violence. Does he know this side of you?”

“Shut up, we’re not dating.”

“Not yet,” Tao said with a wink, and pink dust Jongdae’s cheeks.

 

Fifteen minutes later, the doorbell of their apartment rang and Jongdae was faced with an overexcited Luhan, who clutched onto his arm, squealing. “Did you have a good time?” he asked, almost bouncing in anticipation.

“Christy Luhan, calm down,” Jongdae chuckled, “It was nice. Really nice.”

“Do you like him?” Luhan practically screamed in his face, making it the only thing he could actually see.

“I don’t know,” he started, a little overwhelmed, “I might. I need to figure it out and spend more time with him first.”

Luhan calmed down a little, and it was then he realized that Luhan wasn’t the only one that’d come along. Minseok was standing at the door, and the redness that’d taken over Jongdae’s face paled in an instant. He’d forgotten how beautiful Minseok was, and all those feelings he thought were going away came back to surface – almost like he’d only pushed them down but they’d sprung back up. He was faced with the hard reality that no matter how much he tried, he couldn’t like anyone else if he still liked Minseok. Yes, Joonmyun was sweet, he was attractive. He liked kids, and was interested in music. He had a perfect personality - he was practically everything that Jongdae looked for in a boyfriend, but for some reason there just wasn’t that feeling. It was only reserved for Minseok, and he hated it. Minseok was taken.

Minseok’s face looked slightly pained, and he wondered if he wasn’t feeling well.

“Hyung, are you okay?”

“Oh yeah - I’m fine.” Minseok replied, voice stiff but confused. Jongdae shrugged it off, figuring it was something he probably didn’t want to talk about.

Luhan let himself into the house, and Minseok followed. He made sure that Jongdae told him every detail, and the two only left once Luhan received a message from Sehun telling him that he was coming over.

 

Later that night, Jongdae’s phone buzzed, and he noticed he’d received a text from Suho.

From: Joonmyun
We should do that again, are you free any time soon? :)

Jongdae smiled at Suho’s cuteness, but couldn’t help but feel bad that he didn’t really feel anything for him. Deciding to give it another shot, he replied back.

To: Joonmyun
We should :) I’m free sometime next week? I’m so busy with stuff :L

A few minutes later, he got a reply back.

From: Joonmyun
That’s great! Saturday night good? :)

Jongdae smiled.

To: Joonmyun
Sounds awesome!
We’ll sort out the specifics later?

From: Joonmyun
Yeah :)
Talk to you later, and sleep well, beautiful.

Jongdae felt the guilt pool up, and sent back a message. Suho was a really nice guy, and he definitely didn’t want to play with him. One more date, and if nothing happened he’d leave it there, he promised.

To: Joonmyun
Great :) good night, and thank you for today ^-^

Deciding it was probably time to go to bed because he did have university the next day, Jongdae had a shower and crawled into bed. Despite some issues, he couldn’t deny that today had been a great day.

 

. . .

 

Jongdae noticed that Minseok had seemed somewhat more distant recently, and he was starting to get worried. Ever since his date with Joonmyun, Minseok had been almost uncomfortable, and Jongdae couldn’t figure out for the life of him why. The last time they'd had a decent conversation was after the incident at the train station. He guessed that the lack of Minseok was due to Mihyun being overprotective, but as far as he knew things had cooled down between the two and they were as happy as ever- or at least, that’s what Minseok had told him. He hoped that Mihyun wouldn't be like this forever though, knowing Minseok well enough to know he valued his independence.

But he couldn't be sure about anything when they hadn't spoken much recently. 

 

. . .

 

Minseok was confused, but he couldn’t figure out why. Jongdae’s happiness should’ve been his happiness.

“What’s wrong with Suho?”

“I don’t know...” Minseok grumbled.

Luhan just sighed. “That’s because there is nothing wrong with him. He’s perfectly perfect for Jongdae, and I’m glad that I set them up because it means they’ll both finally be happy.”

“I just don’t think they make a good couple,"

“I really don’t see the issue.” Luhan commented.

“I just-” Minseok paused, “I don’t think Joonmyun’s good enough for him. Or the right kind of guy.”

Luhan slammed the book he was reading down. “Kim Minseok. Suho is a babe and you know that. He’s never been anything but nice and inviting,” he narrowed his eyes, pointing a finger at the other boy. “Mark my words; if this pulls through Jongdae will be happier than he’s ever been.”

Minseok sighed. Luhan was right, and if Jongdae liked Joonmyun then there was nothing he could do about it, no matter how much he liked or disliked it. He had to support him no matter what.


 

. . . Authors Note . . .

WOW WHO WOULD GUESS THAT I WOULD MAKE SUHO THE DATE? 
so not obvious.

But Jongdae baby, what are we going to do with you?
Suho, you are so precious *^*

I decided to double update because the next chapters are pretty important (like, really important), and I wanted to give them both to you on the Saturday and Sunday, so be prepared!

Is anyone sick of this yet?
Feel free to tell me if you are :P

Anyway, hope you guys enjoyed, and I love it when you guys leave comments, so please don't hesitate to do so if you'd like c:
Also, feel free to message me on my Tumblr if you'd like, I'd love you talk to you all :3 (you don't have to follow me okay XD)

Stay cool, guys ;)