chapter six

: Tainted Hearts. (EDITING)

 

Bright lights filled his vision the moment he opened his eyes. It was too bright that he had to squint to see the figure that stood by him, looking down on him.

“Ugh, where am I?” Yoseob muttered to himself, sitting upright.

The male who was standing by him before sat himself on the chair beside the bed Yoseob realized he had been lying on.

“You’re in the hospital. You fainted at some alleyway outside a club. Luckily, the guards that threw you out saw your unconscious body when they checked to see if you had left. They found your phone and called that Jeon Jiyoon who then called us to fetch you,” the blonde said.

“I fainted..?” Yoseob asked, unconvinced.

“Yeah. The doctor said it was a result of fatigue. Apparently, you’ve lacked so much sleep and haven’t even been eating to fill your stomach. May I ask why?” the guy asked, making a face that showed unhappiness.

“How can I? How can I eat or sleep comfortably not knowing where Kim Hyuna is? And how can I when the people around her are moving on so fast without her while she’s lying unconscious somewhere I don’t know?” he said, desperately searching for some mercy in the eyes of the blonde.

But, he only looked away.

“I’m sorry,” he could only utter.

Yoseob scoffed, “It’s alright. I understand.”

There was a tensed moment of silence for a while, except the beeping from the machines surrounding the hospital bed.

“What I don’t understand is.. why you are so concerned about Hyuna when you don’t actually know her personally,” Yoseob said, his eyebrow raising to a height of suspicion.

Only now did it dawn onto him that the blonde had absolutely no connection to Hyuna. At least not one that he knew of.

“That is something between me and her. You are in no way relevant to what happens between us. So, if you could please, not ask those sensitive questions,” the blonde said calmly.

“Why would I? We’re past formality or respect since you wouldn’t fulfill my request. So, why should I for any reason fulfill yours? And why are you avoiding my question? I bet there’s something you wish to hide,” Yoseob continued to taunt him.

But, the blonde knew better. Yoseob was simply desperate to find out Hyuna’s whereabouts. He wasn’t about to know, though.

The blonde got up and glared at Yoseob, “I’ve paid for your bills. The doctor said you could leave by tonight. If you are to experience any kind of pain, please do inform the doctor before you leave. If there’s nothing else, I will be taking my leave and I do not wish to see you around anymore. Thank you for today.”

“Why would you do this to me?” Yoseob whispered.

The blonde stared at him for a while. When he didn’t have a good answer to that, he left.

---

It was almost 11pm and there were only three nurses and two doctors left for that level. The other doctors had either returned home or were in their office at the top level of the hospital.

The atmosphere was just like any usual night for the workers. The patients had all been put to sleep and there were barely people around as visiting hours ended at 10. Only the close relatives of the patients, or none at all, were left.

One of the nurses was organizing the new reports she’s received into the files on the table. She was making notes as to when her next patients will have to take their medicines to remind herself so that she wouldn’t forget.

It was calm and quiet but that situation didn’t last long as the emergency sound started beeping from the machine placed next to the table. She gasped as the sound came out of the blue and quickly stood up, scrutinizing the machine to find which bed it was coming from.

To her shock, it was coming from the private room where the new patient who has been in a coma for a long time was situated at. She wasn’t all too familiar with this patient as she never showed any signs of life for the two weeks she has been there and all she knew was that this patient only had a 50% chance of waking up provided her brain didn’t just die during the coma. So it was a shock that there were suddenly some action coming from the room.

She quickly grabbed the file of “Kim Hyuna” and grabbed a pen. She placed them on her emergency tray and pushed it towards her room. On her way, as she saw the other nurses, she called them with her and told one of them to go call the doctor.

Once they arrived into her room, they started checking the machines that surrounded her to find out where the problem was from as the beeping would only start if something was off with the machines: whether it has sensed an unusual heartbeat pace or something had stopped functioning.

They finally found the source of the problem which was the machine that recorded the patient’s heartbeat and by then, the doctor was already there with the equipment to save the patient’s life.