chapter two

: Tainted Hearts. (EDITING)

 

2 years.

It’s been 2 years already.

Everyone would have moved on with a new life, a new person and a new love. But, they knew they couldn’t. The incident that day was etched on their minds. Even if it seemed like they had moved on, they really haven’t. And that part hurt most to watch. Seeing them going through life everyday as if it’s okay, with society constantly looking down on them, yet they keep strong and never lost hope. It was by far the hardest time they’ve been through. And what more was that the one giving hope was gone. They hadn’t seen her as a source of hope until they finally realized she was gone. Hope was gone.

But, they refused to let go of it.

They built walls around it and protected it from ever leaving them, afraid that if it did, they would lose their mental sense. They would lose the meaning of life.

Every single day, since a year ago, when Yang Yoseob finally found out about Hyuna’s whereabouts, he would visit her to see if she had woken up. 2 years was how long she had been unconscious since the incident. She wouldn’t wake up.

The doctor said the concussion she suffered on her head had a huge impact on her brain she might be left in a coma for a very long time. But, Yoseob believed Hyuna was the one refusing to wake up. It wasn’t the concussion, it wasn’t the impact. It was her refusing to wake up and face reality again. She wanted to remain in her comfort zone because she didn’t want to wake up and think about what she had experience before she fell off that cliff and nearly lost her life.

He knew that because even he didn’t want to face the reality. What happened on the top of that cliff was something he wished he had been there for to stop the cruel people. They hurt her, took her ity and threw her off the cliff. The amount of suffocation she had to go through was far too cruel that even he didn’t want to accept that it happened.

But it did. And when Yang Yoseob heard about it, he knew he had to find Hyuna. He knew she was still alive. His instincts told him that even if the police couldn’t find her body, he was sure she was somewhere, still alive. He was sure it wasn’t simply him not being able to accept reality, even if everyone around him thought so, even the man who claimed he loved Hyuna a lot.

So he set out to look for her. Lo and behold, months passed and he finally got a mysterious call. A voice of a young girl was heard over the phone as she explained how she heard he was looking for a girl. She said the features that he described fit the girl she found lying near her house in the woods. She had picked her up and brought her home to fix her. She was badly injured.

She said that when her brother found out about the girl, she was taken away and sent to a private hospital to recover. She told him that the girl never woke up so they never knew who she was and she herself had been looking for someone who happened to know who the girl was so that she can be taken home.

Yoseob immediately went to the said hospital to confirm this news and maybe it was fate or really what he would deserve after all that hard work he put in to search for Hyuna, but there she was, lying on that same bed she had been lying on for many months, peaceful and in a deep slumber that she hasn’t been able to wake up from.

Yoseob found himself falling on his knees and crying at the pitiful sight of her. She looked really… unconscious. Almost… dead. It hurt that he was part of the reason she was like that.

His eyes bored into her, in hope of catching at least a small movement. How desperate he was. All he wanted was to see her fingers jerk a bit or even her toes. He just wished for movement.

But, no.

Hyuna was persistent.

She still preferred to hide away from the world and sleep her problems off; she wanted to live in dreamland where her father was a nice man, happily married to her mother. She wouldn’t budge. She rejected reality. She loathed it.

Unknowingly, a tear escaped Yoseob’s eyes and he gripped harder onto her hand.

“Please wake up…… I’m begging you… Please.”

But there was no movement. Not a single one.

Hyuna was far too persistent.