chapter sixteen

: Tainted Hearts. (EDITING)

The sound of birds chirping filled her ears the moment her senses returned. Wherever she was, it felt really comfortable. There was soft music playing in the background at a really low volume, perfect to set the calm mood. The room she was in was probably dim and the air-conditioner was running at a perfect temperature. The pillow under her head felt really soft and she wished for nothing but to sleep through another night. Her fingers grazed over the soft blankets and pillows that surrounded her. She snuggled against her pillow and hugged her bolster with more force.

In her half-awake state, a smile appeared on her lips. She was in bliss.

However, the feeling was short-lived. The moment she felt fingers run over her own, her eyes had snapped open and she was staring into eyes that was foreign to her yet rang a bell in her mind. Quickly pulling her fingers to herself, she pushed herself up into a sitting position, only to feel a horrible pain make its way to her head.

She moaned with displeasure and suddenly yearned for more of the comfort from minutes ago.

“Did I wake you?” a familiar voice asked.

Ignoring him, Hyuna took in the view of the room. It looked completely foreign to her and when she realized that, her head snapped right to the male who had been playing with her fingers seconds ago. He didn’t look familiar but she thought she recognized some of his features. By then, her heart rate had accelerated at its highest speed. Worry, and possibly some fear, was now racing in her veins and her heart felt far from easy.

“Where am I?” she demanded.

The male quickly stuttered out a quick reply, “M-my name is Moon Jonghyun. I’m Jongup’s brother.”

Hyuna gave him an incredulous look, “Does that really explain anything?”

“Moon Jongup. One of the BAP members. I’m his fraternal twin brother.”

When BAP was mentioned, the storm that was before brewing in her heart had now calmed. So she was in good hands.

“How did I get here?”

The door was opened when she’d asked that and 4 guys walked in. It was Yongguk, Himchan, Youngjae and Yoseob.

“How you got here? I drove around the whole place looking for you! That’s how!” Yoseob exasperatedly told her.

Hyuna looked down, guilty. But the guilt was not enough for her to regret her decision.

Himchan had to pat Yoseob on his back to calm him down a little.

“What did you think you were doing? Sneaking around on your own? You could have been caught and there goes our whole plan.”

Hearing complaints from Yoseob was alright, but not from Himchan, a male she’d barely met. She wasn’t about to receive such treatment from a mere stranger she knew nothing about.

“What plan, huh? The only plan I would ever want to have my revenge on Yong Junhyung and any one of those bastards out there who has hurt me in the past,” her menacing glare met Himchan’s angry ones, “and I can get that without any of your help. There’s no need for this stupid cover as ‘Nana’ or whatever. I can do it in any kind of way.”

“Well, if that’s really how you want it, BAP is fine and better off without you too!” Himchan said and gestured for the other three to leave with him.

Youngjae had been hesitant but Jonghyun managed to get him out in the end.

The room was left with Yoseob and Hyuna alone.

The skinnier, paler and sicker-looking Yoseob as compared to months ago sat on the bedside, sadly looking down at his boney feet. The sight of his hunched back and sickly state had Hyuna’s heart drop, devastated.

“Hyuna,” he softly called out, “I’m sorry for getting angry.”

Hyuna’s heart tore apart seeing some tears falling from Yoseob’s eyes.

“I was just so worried,” he explained, “I couldn’t stand the thought that you might’ve gotten kidnapped by them. I was so worried.”

Hyuna could hear the devastated and disappointed tone Yoseob’s words carried. He was sincerely worried for her wellbeing.

When there was only silence left, Hyuna blanked out. Memories from when she first met them filled her mind. When she noticed Yoseob’s over excessive care, those caring looks he gave her, the things he gifted her with, his behavior change when he found out about Hyuna’s relationship with Junhyung, his never-ending sacrifices for her, everything. Everything till that very time when she saw him for the first time after many years, finding out that he’d been by her side through those months she didn’t wake up, those months the guy that should’ve been in that position moved on and replaced her.

Why hadn’t she realized it?

Yoseob was madly in love with her. When other people forgot about her, lost hope that she could still be alive and threw her aside like she never meant anything before, he stayed back. He left the friends that had been his for several years, the job that had him a steady and high source of income and the life that made him feel like he was at the top of the world. He spent those days he could be spending doing what he loved most like partying, racing or fighting by her bedside just to be the first to watch her wake up. When she’d been moved, he begged to know her whereabouts so he could see her again and not miss the chance of seeing her take in the first images of life after a long coma. He never stopped trying for her.

Until when he was losing shape, losing sleep and forgetting to eat, he still never stopped.

Why had she only realized this now?

She crawled towards Yoseob and sat right next to him. Her right hand gently turned his face to face her as she sadly looked into it. There was disappointment, pain and regret. Those eyes that once used to be so lively was now filled with so much sadness.

“I’m.. I’m sorry.”

And she sealed that honest truth with a chaste kiss on his soft, waiting lips.