chapter twenty

: Tainted Hearts. (EDITING)

“KIM HYUNA.”

The door was slammed open. A certain angry blonde came stomping in, startling the four who were in the process of getting high in the living room. They all jumped.

“Where’s Hyuna?” Yoseob asked, his voice lowering to a menacing tone.

Zelo nodded at the balcony of the room. It was the room Hyuna has been using for the past few days she was there.

When Yoseob walked in, he met with Hyuna’s back as she gazed at the sky. He softened. She was wearing a really thin white button down blouse that was a little too big to fit her and a really short pair of denim shorts. Her hair was messy yet it made her look even more attractive.

The only flaw was, she had a cigarette in .

Suddenly, he became angry again. He wondered briefly what exactly happened to Hyuna that she was becoming such a violent person. She seemed to have picked up the habit of smoking too when Yoseob hadn’t once seen she touch a cigarette.

He crept up behind her and angrily pulled the cigarette out of her lips. She looked at him blankly, not amused.

“What is this?” he demanded, holding the cigarette in front of her face.

When she reached for it, Yoseob pulled his hand away and threw the cigarette down.

Hyuna simply rolled her eyes and looked away, uninterested.

“Look at me,” Yoseob said, his voice lowered to control his anger.

His eyes were shut and he was taking deep breaths. But, when Hyuna refused to look at him, he lost his control. His right hand unknowingly reached out to her chin where he harshly grabbed on it. He pushed her so her back was bent at the railing of the balcony and she was staring at Yoseob directly.

Her eyes were wide and filled with shock. Yoseob’s looked almost betrayed and broken, like it had been many times Hyuna actually noticed.

And Hyuna’s position was dangerous. If Yoseob didn’t hold her properly or if he added more force into holding her down, Hyuna would fall over. Her feet weren’t on safe ground anymore and half her body was in midair.

“Why are you like this?” Yoseob questioned; his voice now sad and melancholic.

Hyuna remained silent but she didn’t look away.

Yoseob looked down, “You don’t look like Hyuna anymore. What you did last night after the match shouldn’t have happened. INFINITE didn’t do anything.”

And Hyuna continued to keep silent.

“While you’re being Nana, don’t forget yourself. I don’t want you to get hurt. Don’t you think you went overboard yesterday?”

Tears started falling on Hyuna’s chest and her heartbeat accelerated. And those tears weren’t hers. Yet she couldn’t speak. Her lips remained ajar and her eyes still carried its fearful look.

Carefully, Yoseob pulled back, setting Hyuna back on her two feet. Yet, the look still remained on her face.

“I’m sorry,” Yoseob said when he noticed it, hugging her tightly.

“I’m so sorry. I just don’t want you turning into what I see you are about to. Remember why you’re doing this. Don’t hurt more people than you should. Please listen to me. I don’t want you to get hurt. It hurts me when you’re hurting. Please, Hyuna.”

He sounded like he was begging but he didn’t care. He was too concerned about Hyuna to care about pride. Whatever happened the night before, he was determined not to let it repeat itself. Hyuna couldn’t change into the monster she was yesterday. It was so different from what he had planned. While he wanted her to have her revenge on Junhyung before, he doesn’t think it’s a good idea anymore. If Hyuna had her revenge, she wouldn’t be the same anymore. In the end, she might even end up hurting Yoseob and herself. He didn’t want that. It was the last thing he wanted.

---

“When you see Kim Hyuna, I want you to show respect. At least nod at her and acknowledge her. This especially goes for you, Wooram. Behave yourselves,” Himchan explained.

The four girls nodded, one with extra enthusiasm than the others.

The car pulled in to the garage and everyone got off.

“Leave the luggage. I’ll have the others bring them in.”

The four girls took their personal bags and followed their brother in.

They took in the sight of the house as Himchan lead them to the two rooms ready for them to occupy. As they walked, the sound of a certain someone yelling became clearer that it finally caught their attention.

Alarmed by the tone of the voice, Himchan hurried to where the noise was coming from. The girls followed suit.

“-have you seen Himchan? I couldn’t contact him so I quickly rushed here, in case they did anything here too. That goddamn bastard.”

“What’s going on? Yongguk?”

“Himchan hyung!” Zelo yelled.

He rushed over, hugging the older one tightly.

“What happened? What’s wrong?” Himchan curiously asked.

He was panicking, afraid of whatever news he was about to receive. So were the girls behind him whose presence still hasn’t been acknowledged, not in this panicky situation.

“Okay, don’t panic when I tell you this,” Yongguk paused, “while Daehyun, Youngjae and I were practicing in the warehouse… there was a fire and it began spreading really fast. The three of us made it out, but the three inside men we have didn’t. We spotted a sniper on the rooftop of the building opposite of our warehouse so we quickly ran away.”

“Where’s Daehyun and Youngjae?”

“That’s the thing. I don’t know. We separated.”

“No news from them?” Himchan desperately asked.

“You really can’t react carelessly if I tell you this… Jongup, a few minutes before you got here, got a mysterious phone call. I wouldn’t know but he said it sounded like Skull,” Yongguk explained.

“Oppa…” some of the girls worriedly called out.

“What did he say?” Himchan asked, ignoring them.

Jongup took out his phone looking for the recording he managed to get the moment he realized who was calling. He pressed play and held it out for everyone in the room to hear.

“*muffled screams* We have your two best men. *more screams* They aren’t doing so well, as you probably hear. Want to play a game? Come find us first.”

Then there was laughter before the call ended.

“Why do you think…” Yoojin trailed off.

“It’s because of Hyuna,” Himchan stated, confident.

“Hyuna unnie?”

“It’s because she won the fight last night. They’re not happy. That’s why they’re doing this.”

“Doing what?” a new voice asked when she walked in.

She had changed into more comfortable clothes, a black singlet and black skinny jeans with black boots.

“Hyuna-“

“Doing what? Who is doing what? Tell me. I want to know.”

Her eyes looked over at the familiar face, Janey, who was tearing so much at the news. The other girls had their poker faces on but their furrowed eyebrows gave their feelings away. They were worried.

Himchan sighed at her stubbornness, “Skull isn’t happy about your win so he set the warehouse on fire and kidnapped Daehyun and Youngjae.”

Hyuna looked at him in shock, totally not expecting that. At the same time, a surge of feelings were going on in her body. She could almost feel the fire in her eyes when she heard the news. The anger and frustration from the night before seemed to be coming back. She was “transforming” again.

“Hyuna, relax-“

Before Yongguk could even finish his sentence, Hyuna already ran out of the room, pushing past Wooram and Sujin, earning herself a glare that she didn’t even turn to see. Himchan ran after her after telling Yongguk to take care of the others in case Skull has more plans up his sleeves.

Hyuna got in Yoseob’s car and sped off. She saw her mask lying on the seat next to her and she quickly placed it on together with the gloves she managed to grab on her way out. She dug further in the drawer and found a box of matches and a very familiar key. The flame in her eyes still unsettled, she placed them in her pocket.

She could already imagine just what she was going to do.