chapter nineteen

: Tainted Hearts. (EDITING)

Lights dimmed, and then there was a burst of colors before it returned to just having the spotlight in the ring. The crowd roared, both male and female wildly screaming at the people on the ring.

“Jacky! Jacky! Jacky!” they yelled.

A portion, having grown from the last match Hyuna had been to, screamed at the same volume, “Nana! Nana! Nana!”

Males on Hyuna’s side growled and pointed the middle finger at the crowd supporting Jacky, earning much screams from the males on that side. Jacky smirked and pointed the middle finger back at Hyuna’s crowd.

Hyuna smirked and eyed her like she was disgusting. Hyuna tsked and shook her head, as if not approving Jacky’s actions. She then pointed at Jacky and used her thumb to “slice” her neck. That earned her loud screams from Hyuna’s side.

The crowd was definitely getting more pumped up seeing Hyuna’s new, feisty attitude. Jacky rolled her tongue on the insides of her cheek, rolling her eyes, obviously unhappy. Hyuna saw how her hands wrapped into angry fists. Jacky turned to who Hyuna saw was Junhyung, giving him a look she didn’t manage to catch. Junhyung simply smirked and nodded, tightening his arm around the girl next to him.

Hyuna’s confident aura slowly turned scary and she was now scowling at Junhyung. The look in her eyes was so much anger and hatred. His eyes locked on hers, but his lips were trailing kisses down Hyun Ae’s cheek, as if teasing her. Hyun Ae simply responded with a nudge in the rib and a laugh, not aware of the eye contact her boyfriend had shared with Hyuna.

Jacky turned back to Hyuna, her right fist hitting her left palm repeatedly.

Hyuna turned to Himchan and he smirked before mouthing, “Go. All. Out.”

Hyuna’s eyes then went to Youngjae who winked at her. She laughed and turned to Jacky.

“You ready, ?” Jacky smirked.

Hyuna just kept quiet.

Right when the referee rang the bell, Hyuna threw a punch in Jacky’s face and kicked her away in the stomach. The move was so fast and sudden that Jacky hadn’t managed to react. She fell and rolled around, holding onto her stomach. Not only had Hyuna’s move been quick, it had been really hard as well. Hyuna turned to her crowd and held up both her arms as they cheered for her. She turned to Junhyung who had a scowl on his face. She smirked and winked before looking back on her opponent who was already getting up.

She came closer to Hyuna to make a move but Hyuna saw the punch that was aiming for her face. She immediately avoided it as well as the punch that was heading for her stomach. When Jacky was about to throw another punch at Hyuna’s arm, Hyuna grabbed her fist. Jacky continued to push harder but Hyuna easily held it in place before kicking her many times in the stomach and kicking Jacky’s leg so she would fall on the floor. Her hand still firmly holding onto Jacky’s, she folded Jacky’s arm behind her, putting her in a submission position.

Hyuna sat on Jacky’s back, holding her arm firmly down. Her eyes went up to Junhyung who was directly in her view. Their eyes locked again and she smirked once more before twisting Jacky’s hand and the crowd screamed at its highest at Hyuna’s victory.

Jacky laid limp but Hyuna couldn’t care less. When the referee raised her hand to show everyone her victory, her eyes were only on one person. While those eyes were filled with triumphant and satisfaction, Junhyung’s had the exact opposite. It was just what Hyuna, BAP and Yoseob wanted to see.

It was also just what INFINITE and 4Minute wanted to see, leaving them questioning and wondering who the hell this mysterious Nana was.

---

There was a huge party in the club, celebrating BAP and their comeback. Suddenly, the respect was earned again. It was all thanks to Hyuna. They all asked who Nana was and when the rest of BAP was planning to enter the ring again. They got what they wanted, sure, but it wasn’t enough. These people still doubted them and there was still Junhyung and Black to get rid of. And some guy called Skull.

This was only the beginning and so far, everything was falling in place.

Hyuna didn’t feel like joining in the party since she was tired enough already. She was in Yoseob’s car with a bottle of beer and some cigarettes. When she wasn’t drinking, she was taking puffs from her cigarette. She’d finished at least two bottles of beer and 7 sticks. She was all alone, staring at those people entering and exiting the club. It was somehow entertaining. The people entering looked their healthiest and the people leaving all look wasted.

She smirked. She was living this kind of life.

She took a swig of her drink and let out a groan of satisfaction. When her eyes rested on a new crowd who just left the club, some still sober and some terribly wasted, they started to water. It was INFINITE and 4Minute.

They all looked quite happy and fine. Even if there was one missing person there. That is, if they still consider her missing. The more appropriate word to them now would probably be “perished”.

Feeling the stress coming again, Hyuna took a long swig from the bottle and she grunted in satisfaction. She knew she was wasted already. But, she wanted more. Slowly opening the window to her car, she held out the bottle to throw it away but before she could, a figure appeared from her side, holding a knife against her cheek. Hyuna didn’t move, quite aware of what was going on.

She was nervous and her heart palpitated under her chest while her breathing shortened. She was so scared that she dropped the glass bottle that shattered the moment it touched ground.

“Now you’re nervous?” the male said.

Hyuna remained silent as she gulped. Her eyes were still on INFINITE and 4Minute and she saw that they had their eyes on her too. They knew what was going on.

But they weren’t doing anything.

Hyuna’s fingers gripped tight on the steering wheel.

“What do you want?”

“I want you to stop whatever you’re doing. You beating Nikki and Jacky hasn’t been giving me an image and that thing that matters to everyone: money. I want you to get off the ring,” the male said.

“That’s not going to happen,” Hyuna firmly stated, her eyes tearing when she saw INFINITE and 4Minute walking away, their eyes still on her but slowly looking away.

“Then you’ll be expecting some trouble in the near future. I’m not letting this go,” the male said and pressed the blade on her cheek.

She groaned in pain but controlled her movements so he wouldn’t press further. Then, he let go of her and ran off.

Tears now freely fell down her cheeks as she started the engine of the car in anger. She was in anger not because of what the stranger had done to her, but her own friends. She was betrayed right before her own eyes. Whether they recognized her or not, they walked away.

INFINITE and 4Minute was never like that. But, it’s not the same now.

Once the engine had been fully started, she threw the last cigarette in aside and pressed hard on her car accelerator pedal. When she saw the car INFINITE and 4Minute had gotten in, she pressed even harder, following them.

She continued to follow them, unsure of where they were going.

After some time, they arrived at a racecourse, one that looked much like the one Joon owned before. And at that precise moment, memories flooded Hyuna’s mind. This was where Joon taught her to drive, this was where she had those life-threatening races, this was where she’d thought she could move on, even when she saw INFINITE visit her one time. Even if the tears had long been gone, her breaths were still ragged.

She was still driving until she saw INFINITE stop.

When she was close enough, she pressed even harder and hit the back of their car. Her grip on the steering wheel was so hard that her fingers suddenly felt sore. But, she was satisfied. The people inside quickly got off to look at what happened.

Luckily, Hyuna knew Yoseob’s car wasn’t the one to easily get dented so she could go back with only a scratch on Yoseob’s beloved car. Not like he would care too much if Hyuna did anything bad to it.

The most responsible person of INFINITE, as Hyuna could remember, approached her car to see who the culprit of the mess was. He knocked on her tinted window and Hyuna pressed on the button to lower it. It didn’t lower all the way down, though. Hyuna bent her neck a bit to meet his eyes and she smiled.

“Oops,” she said, but that playful expression changed into a serious one quickly afterwards, “get your best racer to go against me.”

Hyuna didn’t know what she was saying anymore. She was almost wasted and she was too angry. She was probably going to regret her decision the next day. But, at that time, none of that mattered. She only wanted to do what she wanted. She wanted to let out the anger that she has in her heart and she didn’t care if she got hurt in the end. What was there to lose? She’d lost everything. She might as well just go along with the flow and show INFINITE and 4Minute who Nana was. She isn’t Kim Hyuna. She is Kim Nana. And Kim Nana doesn’t care about anyone but herself.

Sunggyu didn’t say anything and only gave her an understanding but doubtful look. She knew what he was thinking. He didn’t trust Hyuna but he was willing to give her a chance maybe to get rid of her and possibly figure out who this mysterious Kim Nana was and what she wanted from them.

Surprisingly, it wasn’t Kim Myungsoo or Jang Dongwoo or even Lee Howon who was sent out to go against Hyuna. Instead, it was Jeon Jiyoon.

Maybe that’s why.

Maybe that’s why Jiyoon didn’t really care about Hyuna anymore.

She took Hyuna’s place.

She should’ve known.

The colors were slowly showing and Hyuna was more pumped up than ever. She was determined to win, even if she hadn’t gone close to the steering wheel for some time.

The crowd hadn’t expected any challenges that night so they were quite taken aback by the sudden challenge, especially by who they knew had recently made a mysterious appearance in the fighting arena. Now, she was apparently showing herself in the racing arena, too. The audience was bound to be intrigued. But, they couldn’t be as curious as INFINITE and 4Minute.

Who was this girl?

Hyuna’s car was now lined beside Jiyoon’s. Hyuna looked over to her used-to-be-bestfriend-now-opponent who looked back at her.

Jiyoon smirked and played with her exhaust, in attempt to show how fierce she was. Hyuna wanted to roll her eyes. The Jiyoon that she knew was a scaredy cat. She probably learnt to be more open when she saw that the one person who she always hid under had disappeared. She had been wanting to get rid of Hyuna all along.

Determined, Hyuna just ignored her and lighted up her cigarette before placing on her sunglasses.

A girl went in the middle with a flag. She teased the crowd first and then raised the flag with one hand. She looked around and saw the expectant faces and heard the impatient screams. And then, she brought the flag down and the race began.

It all happened too fast.

They were speeding from the start and everything was going well. None seemed to want to give up anytime soon and both were going at the same speed. They were going round the curve before the crowd saw a flash of light being thrown at Jiyoon and her car seemed to have lost control. And then, Hyuna sped up before her car rammed against Jiyoon’s pushing it against the hard side railings. By then, the crowd had started screaming in fear of an accident on one of their respected drivers in the arena. They saw Hyuna hold out a metal bar and the screams increased in volume but fortunately, she dropped it. But she didn’t stop.

By then, some of the INFINITE members had gotten into some of their own cars and were racing to catch up with the two cars to help Jiyoon. Hyuna was still trying to ram Jiyoon’s car to have it damaged at its worst. Jiyoon had already felt some of the pain from being trapped and her arm being caught and she was close to passing out.

When Hyuna saw the INFINITE members close, she quickly stopped ramming and Jiyoon’s car stopped too. Hyuna turned her car and sped off, none of the cars chasing after her. They got out of their cars to assist the injured Jiyoon and when Hyuna saw that, she dug in Yoseob’s drawer, looking for a gun.

She wasn’t planning to kill them. She was planning to warn them of her.

Knowing she was on a steady and straight road, she looked out and held out the gun at them, aiming for the cars.

Her fingers were shivering but any human feeling had long left her. All the fear was gone and she wasn’t Hyuna anymore. She pressed on the trigger and the glasses on the cars all exploded at each shot.

Satisfied, Hyuna went back in her car and headed for home.

That night, Kim Nana was born.