Chapter 9

What is it about you?

(Nobody’s POV)

“Appa please – ”

Hyukjae was awoken by a soft whimpering at his side.

“ – don’t leave me”

He slowly opened his eyes to find himself in a dark room, someone cuddling up to him sending him into a warmth he’d never felt before. Now that his eyes had adjusted, he looked down to see Donghae’s face, resting on his chest, Hyukjae smiled slightly, until he saw the tears that were running down the sleeping boy’s cheeks.

Instant worry took over him and without having to think about it, his arms that were wrapped around the sleeping boys upper body, tightened their hold in an attempt to comfort the boy. In his worry he failed to notice the intimate position that the two were in. Donghae’s hand had somehow in his sleep, found its way underneath Hyukjae’s t-shirt and was now resting on said boy’s abs. their legs were tangled together, making it so they were as close together as the possible could be.

Carefully, Hyukjae bent his head down and kissed away the tears that were glistening from the light of the moon on the younger boy’s face.

He lay there, content in the moment as an unusual happiness burst within him at the fact he was there, holding Donghae in his arms as they had slept.

Then it occurred to him, they had been asleep. How long for? He didn’t know, but a part of him didn’t care.

 

(Hyukjae POV)

An obnoxious ringing noise brought me back to my senses. I sighed and picked up the phone only to realise after I’d answered that it wasn’t mine.

“Who’s this?” the voice on the other end asked, half worried, half curious.

“Oh, this is Donghae’s… Best friend, he’s asleep at the moment, would you like me to wake him for you?” I asked, being as polite as I could having assumed that the lady’s voice on the other end was his Umma.

“Oh no, don’t wake him. Just, please let him know I called to say I won’t be back until tomorrow, I have to work someone else’s shift tonight. He’ll understand. And could you please make sure he eats. It’s already close to half past ten, so make sure he eats soon and you’re welcome to stay the night, dear” she said. What? Half-ten? At night?  Oh crap!

“Okay ma’am. I will be sure to do that. Goodbye” I answered.

She muttered a quick goodbye before hanging up.

At that point, I figured it would be a good idea to check my own phone…

Oh… …

13 missed calls.

27 unread messages.

2 new voicemails.

Figuring that it was too late now, I didn’t bother to check my messages, but instead turned back to Donghae. For a couple of minutes I just laid there, taking in his features. Although he was as cute as a button, he still had a masculine quality about him. His face was, in my eyes, perfect and I couldn’t help but be a little jealous of it. The look he had on his face was saddening and it made it feel as though my heart were breaking in two. It pained me to see it for some reason and I could only wonder why a dream about his Appa would make him look so vulnerable and scared. My eyes travelled down to his arms, admiring that although he wasn’t the manliest of guys, he still had a muscular form. Slowly I followed down to where his hand was resting, only to notice it was under my t-shirt, resting on my abs. I lifted my shirt slightly and took in how feminine his fingers were. They were long and I’d never thought I could find fingers pretty before, and yet somehow, his were. I then let my eyes follow down his body to where our legs were tangled with one another’s. I smiled slightly, finding it amusing that we’d ended up in this position. But what threw me the most was that I didn’t find it uncomfortable.

I sighed as I let my eyes wonder back up to his sleeping face. There was an overall innocence about Donghae that I doubt anyone could replicate. There was just something about him. The way his eyes lit up at the sight of cute things, such as puppies or plushies. The way he could talk about the aquarium for hours and not get bored. The way he would smile and dazzle everyone around him. The way he would care for people, even if they were cold to him. The way he would hold my hand and drag me off to look at something pointless. The way he would ruffle his hair or scratch the back of his neck when he was frustrated. The way that he would bite his lip when he was nervous.

Over the past week, we’d gotten so close. So close that he was always on my mind. If I tried something new, the first thought would be ‘I wonder if Hae would like this’ or if I saw anything related to fish, his name would pop in my head and I would smile right away.

“H-Hyukkie?” a small voice brought me back from my thoughts, followed by a small yet heart breaking whimper.

I turned to see that Donghae had woken up, tears were flowing once more down his face, tarnishing his perfection.

Instinctually, my grip on him tightened. I rolled so that I was on my side and wrapped my arms tightly around his shoulders. I felt his arms wrap around my waist as he pulled himself closer to me, sobbing quietly into my shirt.

“Hae, why are you crying? Hm? Come on, it’s okay, I’m here” I said softly, one of my hands moving up to his hair.

“I…I…I h-had a b-bad dream a-a-and it m-m-m-made me r-remember things t-that I d-d-don’t want to” he said in a shaky voice, “I h-had a d-dr-dream that my Appa wa-s s-st-still alive and he want-ted to leave me ag-gain”

His Appa was dead? Oh god. This was horrible.

“Shhh, Hae, it’s okay. He’s always with you. Just because you can’t see him, doesn’t mean he isn’t here. There are a lot of things in this world that happen, that are so unfair and it makes us wonder what we ever did to deserve it. I didn’t know your Appa, but I bet he was a great man, and I know that because he raised you. It may not feel like it sometimes, but he is here with you all the time. In your heart and he is up there, looking over you.

 “I know that he didn’t want to leave you Hae, he couldn’t have because it would be impossible to leave you. So don’t cry, okay?” I said, and I could feel him calming at my words.

“It hurts so much” he whispered “It h-hurts because I n-never got a chance to say goodbye. I f-feel horrible all the time because I was m-m-mad at him. I was s-so angry at him for l-leaving me and it w-w-wasn’t even his fault. But I d-didn’t have anyone else to blame. He would h-hate me if he knew that I w-was mad because he d-did nothing wrong and now I’m c-crying like a b-baby and I’m being s-so weak! I just miss him so m-much, Hyukjae. I miss him more than I can s-say”

“Don’t you ever think that! He wouldn’t hate you, and you are by no means horrible! He would understand because you had every right to be mad. It’s natural for you to be angry and direct it at him because you don’t think rationally when grieving! He would be so proud of you for being able to carry on and look after your Umma. You’ve grown into a man by taking over his role and just think how happy he would be. Crying doesn’t make you weak, Hae. It makes you human. And of course you’re going to miss him, because he was a part of you, and with him gone it’s like you’re missing a part of yourself. That feeling will never go away fully, but it will become bearable. You just need to stay strong, but at any point if you feel like you need to break and just let it all out, you come to me okay? Because I will always be here to catch you when you fall.”

“T-Thank you. S-s-so much!” he whispered, the pain and woe evident in his voice.

“Any time. Now, let’s go get you fed, huh?” I smiled and sat up, pulling Donghae with me. Taking his hand, I pulled him to his feet and dragged him down stairs.

Luckily, I didn’t have to do much after I sat Donghae down at the table. As it turns out, his Umma had made some kimchi stew that just needed to be reheated.

Whilst that was heating up I checked to see if there was any rice that was already cooked and to my luck, there was. I put the rice into two bowls and placed them on the table along with a pair of chopsticks each and a spoon each before returning to get the pot of kimchi stew.

We sat there and ate in silence, both of us still waking up from our nap when I remembered I forgot to tell him about his Umma’s call.

“Hae, your Umma called whist you were sleeping. She said to tell you that she won’t be home until tomorrow because she had to cover someone else’s shift.” I said, finishing off my food before we took out dishes into the kitchen and began to wash up.

“Oh, okay.” He sighed, forcing a smile.

“Do... Do you want me to stay the night?” I asked hesitantly, not wanting to intrude, but also not wanting to leave him.

“Aren’t you meant to be at Jessica’s now?” he asked, frowning slightly.

. I completely forgot about her.

I put a finger up to ask him to wait a second before I pulled out my phone and reluctantly checked my messages.

‘babe, where are you? Xoxox’

“Hyukjae? It’s past eight. Where are you baby? Xx’

‘Seriously, where are you! You’re really late now! X’

“Yah! Stop ignoring me!’

‘WHERE THE ARE YOU?! YOU’RE OVER AN HOUR AND A HALF LATE?!’

Yeah, they were all pretty much along those lines. But the last ones were probably the worst, what with all the cursing…

I then checked my voicemail.

“You really are a , you know that?! You could have just said you didn’t want to come rather than blowing me off. We need to have a serious talk when I see you next”

Deleted.

“Am I really that unimportant to you? So you prefer hanging around with that new kid more than me now? What are you turning gay all of a sudden? Psh, I should have guessed. I see the way you look at him. I have never been so angry at you! Urgh!”

Deleted.

Honestly, it’s not like I meant to! She over reacts so much. wait a minute… did she just… I AM NOT ING GAY! HE IS A FRIEND. A FRIEND!!!

I dialled her number quickly and waited.

“oh so now I’m good enough to talk to?” came a cynical voice from the other end of the line. Yeah, she was pissed.

“Look, I’m sorry. Donghae and I fell asleep when we got back and I completely forgot to call you when I woke up. I’m really sorry Jess” I sighed, knowing that I needed to up to her just so she wouldn’t bite my head off.

“Fine. but don’t bother coming over now. You have a lot of making up to do!”

“I know, I know. I’m sorry, okay? Alright, I’m gonna go. Sleep well yeah?”

“Yeah, alright. You too. Love you”

“Yeah. You too. Bye” I answered, hanging up quickly.

Looking up I met Donghae’s expectant eyes.

“Well, looks like I don’t have to worry about that, I am free for the night if you want me?”

“Yeah, I’ll make you up a bed, but you can share with me… If you want to. It would be easier… I mean, you don’t have to. I just thought that because it’s late and we don’t really have any- ”

I put my hand over his mouth to shut him up, laughing slightly at his frantic rant. “Yah, we just shared a bed for god knows how long, I’m pretty sure me sharing with you now won’t make a difference”

“So sharing?” he asked

I nodded in confirmation.

“Do you wanna go up and watch a movie?” he asked, as we finished putting away the now dry dishes.

“Ne. can we watch a horror film?!” I asked excitedly on the way back upstairs.

“Sure. What about MAMA?”

“OMG, I’ve been dying to see that! Let’s go! GO GO GO!” I beamed, running back up to his room.

~*~

We were about half way through the movie, both of us on the bed, cuddled up under the blankets. Donghae was using me as a human shield and hiding by burring his face in my neck, against my chest, anywhere he could really when he got scared. And every time his skin came into contact with mine, my heart would jump and begin to beat erratically. I just didn’t understand why.

My arms were around him, he insisted that I hold him close so that I could “protect him from the scary woman that wants to kill him in his sleep”. It made me laugh how scared he could be.

However, I too found myself terrified. Not at the movie. I mean sure, it was scary, but what was scaring me was the overwhelming sense to nuzzle closer to the boy in my arms. The urge to press my lips against the snow white skin of his neck. The warmth that went through me when his lips would brush against my bare skin as he hid his face in the arch between my neck and my shoulder.

~*~

I was currently wearing a pair of grey sweats that belonged to the scared boy and a white wife-beater as a pair of make-shift pyjamas. He in turn, was wearing a pair of white shorts and a grey tee.

It was fairly warm, but still we huddled under the covers close together.

“Hyukkie?” Donghae whispered into the silence that enclosed us in the early hours of the morning, as we lay there, too afraid to sleep, but too tired to stay awake.

Though we were afraid for different reasons, we could sense the others hesitance to fall into a slumber.

“Hm?” I answered, my eyes focused on how the moon’s light shone through the small gap in the curtains, allowing Donghae’s face to glow slightly.

I looked over at said boy, his eyes were closed, but there was a small smile on his lips, so small that if you didn’t look close enough, you wouldn’t be able to see it.

“Thank you for staying with me, I really needed someone to be with me right now”

“I’ll always be here when you need me. There’s no need to thank me. But anyway, you’re welcome” I smiled, pulling him in, closer to me.

 

(Jessica POV)

I felt bad. I honestly did.

Don’t get me wrong, I did love Hyukjae, I really did and at the start, I loved him in the way I was meant to. But now… I feel as though I only love him as a friend.

I know I should break it off, but I’m scared to. I like the feeling of familiarity and safety. And that’s what he is, he’s safe. He’s the one I can always fall back on.

I know I sound like a and I know what I’m doing is wrong, but I really can’t stop.

He knows. I know he knows that I’m seeing someone else behind his back. So it always makes me wonder why he doesn’t break it off with me.

I also know that he doesn’t love me either. I know he loves me as a friend, but I can see it in his eyes that he doesn’t feel that way for me anymore.

He will always hold a special place in my heart, he was my first love, my first everything. But people grow apart, people change. Things change and that’s just the way life is.

I can also see that he is crushing on Donghae. The cute little fishy. Only, he is too prideful to accept that. Instead, I know he will pass it off as something else. Anything else as long as he doesn’t have to accept his feelings.

Right now, I was in love with someone. That someone knows I have a boyfriend and he keeps asking me why I don’t break it off with Hyukjae. I tried to explain it to him, but it’s hard for people to understand. But Kris is a patient person, and even though he is a year younger than me, he is still really mature. So he understands and he is willing to wait.

I’ve tried to make Hyukjae break up with me. I’ve tried being y with him, and although it kills me to treat him that way, I know that I need to make him see that I’m not what he wants. And I’ll admit, I am a coward for not just ending it. But things are sometimes, easier said than done.

“Jessica! Kris is on the phone. He said he can’t make it today, apparently one of his friends, I think he said his name was Tao, is coming to visit and he can’t get out of it.” Sunny said, walking into my room.

“Alright, tell him not to worry” I smiled. She just nodded and did as I asked before hanging up the phone and diving on my bed.

“So, Donghae oppa is really sweet huh?” she started. Oh great… she’s off again. I smiled and rolled my eyes, sitting on the bed next to her. I didn’t have the heart to tell her that he was too busy lusting after my boyfriend to think about dating girls.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: well hello there. I updated early!

Are you proud? :D hehehe

Honestly, I had the idea for this chapter and just wrote it all in about half an hour ^.^

Also, I added in Jessica's POV just to show you how she is thinking. See, she isn't the you guys thought.

Also, about her dating Kris... I couldn't think of anyone else and I was like.. Hmm who is tall and handsome, and he popped in my head, so yeah...

Okay, I think I'm rambling now.

But, I know you're all waiting for the Eunhae dramam to start, but I needed them to get closer first. Soooo, I will let you know it will either start i the next chapter or the one after that! Be prepared!! Mwaa haa haaaaaaaa~

Sorry about the lack of KyuMin in this chapter, I feel like I was focusing more on them lately so wanted to do one based mostly on EunHae with a side of Jess.

Soo, I hope you enjoyed the chapter!

Oh and a HUGE thank you to all of you that have subbed/commented/up-voted. It means the world to me to know you guys like the story.

Feel free to add me as a friend :) And follow me on twitter (the link is on my profile)

Alright, well, after the longest A/N ever.... love you guys!

Until next time<3