Chapter 2

What is it about you?

(Donghae POV)

I smiled as I walked away, though on the inside I felt sad. I didn’t understand why he was being like that to me. And how could he be so mean one moment and then tell me he wants to be my friend the next? Does he think that I will believe him? He probably just wants to get close to me so that he can find out my secrets and humiliate me even more.

I already disliked this place. It seemed like he would be out to get me no matter what I did. I would just distance myself from that monkey, yeah that’s what I’d do. I was so sure I hated him, but why did the thought of pulling away make me feel uneasy? I think it was just because I was worried that if I didn’t get close to him, then the others wouldn’t want to know me either.

As I walked back to the classroom I stopped when I saw Sungmin with his back pressed up against a wall, Kyuhyun in front of him, gently wiping away the latter’s tears.

I know it’s wrong to eavesdrop, but I couldn’t help myself.

“Min, come on, you know he didn’t mean it. He was just being an idiot in front of Donghae” Kyuhyun said softly, I could have never imagined that voice coming out of his lips, it was so loving and sweet, not cocky or almighty.

“I… I know, but he kn-knows how much I hate it. He’s supposed to be my best friend and he g-goes and does that!” Sungmin said in a shaky breath.

“He was probably just jealous of how you were acting around Donghae, honestly, you should have seen the way he was looking at him when he came in this morning” Kyuhyun laughed slightly as he pulled Sungmin into a warm embrace.

“Kyuhyunnie, do you think that’s why he’s acting weird? I mean, it doesn’t make sense that he would like Donghae though. For two reasons, one he is straight and two, he doesn’t even know the kid. I mean they spoke for like two minutes” Sungmin reasoned.

“Mmm, but you didn’t see the look in his eyes. I think there is at least an attraction there. But Hyuk won’t admit it because well, it’s Hyuk.” Kyuhyun sighed, “Come on, I’ll walk you to class. But I can’t be too late because I need to get back to show Donghae around the school”

“Be nice to him!” Sungmin said as Kyuhyun took his hand and began to walk in my direction. I quickly hid behind one of the beams as they passed.

Kyuhyun smiled “Yah, I’m nice!” He laughed

“Hmm, and that’s why you’re known as EvilKyu?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about” Kyuhyun laughed as they finally became out of sight.

What was that all about? And should I be worried about being alone with Kyuhyun if he is that ‘evil’? Aish, but what the hell am I meant to make of all of this Hyukjae stuff? I don’t even know.

“Donghae!” I about jumped out of my skin when I heard my name being called. I turned to see Hyukjae walking up to me, aish, speak of the devil and the devil shall appear.

I just turned around and walked in the direction I remembered our classroom to be.

“Yah! Don’t you hear me calling you?!” he called and I heard his pace quicken.  Once he caught up with me he grabbed my wrist and turned me to face him. “Don’t walk away from me when I’m talking to you”

I yanked my wrist back out of his grip before glaring at him “What do you want?”

“I… Well…” he scratched the back of his neck awkwardly.

“Well?” I sighed, “Look, I really don’t have time to play games Hyukjae. I just want to get to class”

“Gees, lighten up nerd. I’m sure you can hold on five minutes, or are you scared of getting in trouble on your first day?” he said, his voice turning cold.

What was wrong with this guy? I seriously hadn’t done anything to him and he still treats me like dirt! I’ve known him a few hours and he already wants to make my school life .

“Actually, I’m being shown around by Kyuhyun. So if you don’t mind..” I turned and began to walk away from him again.

“I do mind” he said. “You can go when I say you can”

“Excuse me?” I said incredulously.

“You heard me” he smirked, “So why did you move here anyway?”

My heart clenched slightly. I could feel myself on the verge of tears as he brought up the one thing I wanted to avoid at all costs. Why I moved here.

Of course I wanted to stay where I had come from, but my Umma, she couldn’t take staying there. I was fine there if only I didn’t think about it. As much as I avoided the though, it always came back to haunt me, whether it be like now and someone would bring it up, or whether it would be my Umma looking at pictures and crying late at night when she thought I couldn’t hear her.

I bit my lip to stop the tears that wanted to fall and ran as fast as I could to the closest bathroom. Once I was in there I locked myself in one of the cubicles and dropped to the floor. I hugged my knees tightly as I finally let the tears fall.

Why did he have to ask me that? Why? It had been so long since I allowed myself to think about it. It had been so long since I had cried about it. I thought I was being strong but clearly I was just bottling it all up and waiting for something to ignite the fuse to this ticking time bomb.

I only had ten minutes left before class began. I needed to make sure nobody knew that I had been crying.  Slowly, I made myself get up and unlocked the door to the cubicle I was taking refuge in. I walked over to the sink and placed my backpack on the floor whilst I splashed some water in my face to reduce the redness.

“Why were you crying?” again I almost jumped out of my skin. I looked up to see Hyukjae’s reflection in the mirror, he was standing in the corner, watching my every move.

“Will you STOP sneaking up on me!”  I sighed, great so the one person I really didn’t want to catch me was the one person that caught me, typical.

“Will YOU answer my question” he said, taking a few more steps towards me.

“Ani.” I said, picking up my bag and shoved past him, walking out of the bathroom, not even bothering to dry my face.

I sighed as I wiped it down with my sleeve, that was the best I could do and at least now my face was dry, though I couldn’t say the same for my sleeve.

I made my way into the classroom, which was still empty. I still had another five minutes or so, but that was okay, I felt like being alone right now anyway.

But it seems like I can never get anything I want now-a-days because five seconds after I sat down, Hyukjae followed me into the classroom and took the seat next to me. I was expecting him to make some witty comment, but instead he said words that truly shocked me.

“I’m sorry” he sighed. I looked up to see that his face showed he truly meant it. But even so, why should I trust him?

“Save it” I sniffled, not realising that my tears had started again. “Of for god’s sake!” I rummaged through my bag trying to find a tissue, but it seemed like luck was not on my side. I was about to give up when I felt something soft touch my face and wipe away my tears.

Hesitantly I turned to see that Hyukjae was using his thumb to rid my face of the wetness. I let him continue his actions for a moment, rather enjoying the feeling. He smiled softly at me. That was the first time he’d smiled at me since the day had begun. Just as I was about to smile back, people started pouring into the classroom, snapping us both back to reality.

As quickly as he could, Hyukjae pulled his hand back and glared at me coldly again. Guess I was right about not being able to trust him.

“Gees, do you have a split personality or something!” I hissed.

He was about to retort with something most likely sarcastic when Kyuhyun walked in and tapped me on the shoulder. The teacher was stood next to him and smiled down at me.

“You boys take your time. It’s a big school and I want to make sure you know it properly, okay? Kyuhyun.” He turned to look at her, “No funny business, no playing on games and make sure you look after Donghae” she said before walking off to the front of that classroom.

I grabbed my bag and began to follow after Kyuhyun, as I got to the door, I glanced back at Hyukjae who as soon as our eyes met, averted his gaze.

So much for my plan of distancing myself. 

The tour of the school took about an hour, as Kyuhyun insisted of showing me EVERYTHING. And I do mean everything, even each bench. To be quite honest, I think he just didn’t want to go back to class. But in all fairness, I didn’t either.

“Hae, do you want to just hang out in the lounge until the end of the day? If anyone comes in and asks, I’ll just say that I’m drawing you a map” Kyuhyun said as we entered the lounge and made out way over to a table with four comfortable chairs in the corner. I nodded, making him smile slightly. I guess he was pleased.

I sat down in the seat across from Kyuhyun and sighed. I was still feeling down about what had happened earlier. How could I have let my guard down? And why in front of that jerk?

“Are you okay? You seem…” Kyuhyun didn’t finish his sentence as he furrowed his brows, “If, if it’s Hyukjae, pay him no mind. He’s a nice guy, really. He never usually acts this way. He’ll warm up to you”

“Thanks, but it isn’t him. Although he is really annoying me. I mean one minute he is acting like I’m something you find on the bottom of your shoe and the next he is wiping away my tears and smiling at me like we’ve been best friends for years! I mean how can he sit there and say sorry one minute then act like nothing happened the next! I’ve known him like… I don’t know, six hours? And he is already making my brain hurt” I sighed, then looked up at Kyuhyun who just looked at me wide eyed. Crap, I said too much. “Erm, I mean… it’s nothing?” Nice save Donghae, nice save.

“You were crying?” Kyuhyun asked, frowning slightly.

“It’s a long story”

“Right… And Hyuk… He wiped away your tears?”

“Yeah, but then he went all cold again when people started to come in” I sighed.

“Wow… That’s wow…”

“What?”

“Hyuk doesn’t even care enough to wipe away Jessica’s tears when she ‘cries’. He just hands he a tissue and that’s the end of it” Kyuhyun laughed. “But, wait, was it Hyuk that made you cry?”

“Indirectly” I answered, looking down at the table before looking back up at him again

“We have a lot of time you know. If… If you want to tell me that long story” Kyuhyun said, smiling a little as encouragement.

Could I tell him? I mean, I hadn’t spoken to anyone about it, not even my Umma.

“It… It has to do with why I moved here” I whispered, biting back tears for the third time today.

“And… Why did you… move here?” Kyuhyun asked in a quiet voice.

“Promise you won’t tell anyone? I… I haven’t spoken to anyone about it before” I managed to get out. A few tears managed to squeeze out of my eyes.

“I promise”

“A couple of months ago, my… My Appa, he, he passed away. It was unexpected and it caused my Umma to fall into a depression. I was sad too of course, but I needed to take care of my Umma. I didn’t want to leave my old town, I thought if I could just bury all of these feelings I was having then it would go away and I could get on with life, but my Umma… Everything reminded her of him and she would cry all the time when she thought I didn’t know. She still cries now, but it’s a little less. Then she decided we would move here, away from all of the painful memories. And that’s why I’m here. But then today, H-Hyukjae. He… He asked me w-why I moved here a-and it all just came back. All the things that I’d been suppressing, it was like it was suffocating me and I… I…” I couldn’t finish the sentence, it was like I was drowning in my tears.

Kyuhyun managed to surprise me by getting up from his seat and wrapping his long arms around me.

“It’s okay to feel this way Donghae. It shows that you’re human. It’s okay to cry and let it all out. I know that we’ve only just become friends, but I’m always here for you okay? Whenever you need me, I’m here” he said calmingly and he hugged me. He pulled back and I smiled up at him through the tears.

“Thank you Kyu”

“Any time. Just don’t tell people about this whole me being nice thing, I have a reputation to uphold.” He smiled, making me laugh. Who would have known the supposedly evil kid would make me feel better? “Hey, I’m going to go get us something to drink okay? Wait here” he smiled. I nodded before he turned and stalked out of the lounge.

About five minutes later I heard footsteps walking over to me.

“That was fast” I said as I turned to smile up at Kyuhyun. Only it wasn’t him. As soon as I saw who it was my smile dropped. “What, are you stalking me now or something?” I sighed.

“Ani, I just came over to ask why you’re alone”

“Kyuhyun is getting drinks” I answered, trying to keep my voice monotonous, but it ended up cracking slightly at the end.

“Have you been crying again?” he asked, taking the seat that Kyuhyun was previously sitting in.

“Why do you care?” I challenged.

“I don’t” he snapped. For some strange reason that hurt. It made it feel like someone was squeezing my heart, “I… I mean, you look like you have. You’re eyes are all puffy and red. It doesn’t suit you”

“I doubt crying suits anyone” I sniffed and looked at him with a poker face. “Why are you out of class?”

“I needed to use the bathroom” he answered “Why are you?”

“You know why I am” I rolled my eyes, making him smile a little

“I know, I was just trying to keep the conversation going” he chuckled. Seriously, what was with this guy?!

“Why?” I asked, getting a little impatient. But above all I was confused. Why was he being nice all of a sudden. He really was messing me up.

“I don’t know. I just wanted to talk to you, I guess. I felt bad for how we got off on the wrong foot” he answered.

“Hyukjae, I don’t know what you’re thinking, but please can you just pick a personality and stick to it?” I sighed.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I creased his eyebrows together

“That I’m getting a little annoyed with how you can be a total one minute and then nice the next. Either you like me or you don’t, so can you just choose?” I sighed again, “I’m going to find Kyuhyun” I said, getting up and throwing my bag over my shoulder.

“W-Wait, I’ll leave. I have to get back to class anyway” he said, pushing past me harshly.

Once again I sighed, it seemed like I was sighing a lot today. I sat back down on the chair, placing my backpack down on the one beside me.

It wasn’t too long later that Kyuhyun came back with a can of coke for each of us “Sorry I took so long, I ran into Sungmin and lost track of the time”

I couldn’t help but smile slightly. Whenever he spoke of Sungmin, his eyes would sparkle slightly.

He handed me one of the cans and began to take a sip of his.

“Kyu, do you like Sungmin, by any chance?” I asked, smirking slightly.

He choked on his drink, taking a little while to compose himself before answering “W-What would make you ask that? Of course I like him, we’re friends” he laughed awkwardly.

“I didn’t mean as a friend” I smirked even more

“You mean do… do I…”

“Do you have feelings for him?”

“A-Ani, I don’t. I… I like him as a friend that’s all” he said, looking around nervously. His cheeks were now a nice pink colour.

“If you say so” I teased, taking another sip of my drink, I had to admit, this was cheering me up a little.

“Shut up.” He glared, making me grin even more, only to bring me back down when he asked; “What was Hyuk doing in here before? I saw him walk out”

I frowned and ran my fingers through my hair “He said he wanted to talk to me because we got off on the wrong foot and then he shoved past me and left”

“Gees, that guy has issues” Kyu laughed, clearly pleased to get the subject off of him and Sungmin.

“You’re telling me…” I huffed and finished my drink.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Here you are guys~ I updated quickly because I won't be able to update for a few days after this

Hope you enjoyed the chapter ^.^

Until next time<3