Chapter 14

What is it about you?

(Hyukjae POV)

“Teacher-nim. Donghae-ah said he isn’t feeling well, so is it okay if I take him to the nurse?” I asked in a pleasant voice.

Mr.Byun glanced over at Donghae, who luckily for me had a weird look on his face that could be passed off as him feeling ill, so sir nodded “Alright. Make sure he’s okay”

I quickly thanked him and made my way back to Donghae. Grabbing both of our things and then his wrist, I pulled him out of the classroom, only stopping when we got to the roof.

“Hyukjae! What are you doing? What’s all this about?” he asked, looking at me like I was insane.

“I needed to talk to you” I said simply.

He pulled his wrist from my grip and sighed. “Can you stop this, please. You can’t just go around and act like you own the place. You can’t expect me to act like everything is fine between us when it isn’t!”

He thinks that I don’t know things aren’t fine between us? He really thinks that I’m that dense?

“I know it’s not. And I want to fix that! Why can’t you see that I just want to get back to how we were?!” I yelled in frustration.

“Because it isn’t that simple Hyukjae! This isn’t something that you can fix over night! First you basically told me that my Appa left me because I was horrible to be around and told me that it was no wonder I was alone! THEN you say sorry, only to kiss me and act like it was me who started it! Then I asked you all of those questions and you say you don’t know why you did it, or what it meant but that you liked it? And you think that this can be solved by you dragging me out of class and having a bloody chat with me?” he yelled back at me.

I froze. I knew that I’d said some things that I wasn’t proud of, but I didn’t realise that I’d hurt him this much. And all I could do was feel guilty and ashamed of myself because of it.

“I… I…”

“Save it. If you don’t even know what to say then why should I stay to listen?” he asked before turning around and starting to walk away.

“Henry won’t work, you know” I yelled after him on a whim. Hoping to buy myself some time. And it seemed to work because he froze on the spot, although he didn’t turn to face me, so I continued. “You think that he can replace me? That… That I’ll get jealous and beg for you to come back to me? I won’t do that. Because I know that you’ll always be mine at heart”

“But that’s just it. I’m not yours Hyukkie.” He turned to face me, his eyes slightly puffy now, “I’m not because you threw me away and now you’ve realised you want me back? I’m not a toy Hyukjae. I’m not something that comes and goes to suit your needs. I’m a person and I have these things called emotions. Funny isn’t it? To think that someone besides yourself has feelings. Well, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but they do” he sighed before sitting down and leaning back against the brick wall beside the door that lead back inside.

“I know that. I know. But I don’t know why I keep acting the way I do. You’re really making me crazy Hae” I said, looking over his hunched body.

He gazed up at me and sighed “So you’re trying to say this is all my fault?”

“No. No, no, no! I didn’t mean it like that!” I shook my head furiously, realising how my words sounded.

“Then why do you keep acting like it is?” he asked, holding his head in his hands.

I sighed and knelt down before him, placing my hands on his thighs softly and moving so that I was between his legs slightly.

He looked up at me and chuckled bitterly. “Be careful Hyukkie, you’re stepping on familiar ground here”

I gave him a quizzical look, only to realise soon after what he meant. The kiss. This is how we were sat then too, before I leaned over and pressed my lips to his soft ones.

“Are you afraid that I’ll do it again?” I whispered, scared that if my voice were any louder, it would make this all too real.

“Ne. But I’m also scared that you won’t. But most of all, I’m scared because a part of me wants you to” he whispered back, not letting his eyes meet mine.

“You know we can’t. It’s not right. I… I don’t…I mean…”

“You’re not gay. I know. You’ve told me time and time again” he sighed.

“You sound disappointed” I noted aloud.

“No, it’s not that. I just wish you’d make your mind up. Do you want to hurt me or be my friend? Because I don’t think I can take anymore of you playing both sides” he said sadly, finally looking up to meet my eyes.

In the moment, I wish he hadn’t looked up, because when he did, he didn’t try to hide anything, I saw it all, all the hurt, the confusion, the hate, the longing, that was all caused by me. And boy, did I feel like a bastard right now.

“I’m sorry Hae. I really am sorry. But I honestly never wanted to hurt you” I said quietly, bringing my forehead to rest against his.

“So you keep saying. But how can I believe that?”

“I’ll make you believe it.”

I brought my hands to his face and placed then on his cheeks. Holding his gaze as I tried to show him without words that I meant what I said. I knew it would take time for him to come around, for him to start believing in me again, but I just wanted to get back to how we were. Back to being best friends that could count on each other and not whatever the hell we were right now.

~*~

I can’t remember how or when, but at some point we’d changed our position. I was now sat with my back against the wall, Hae was sat between my legs, his back pressed up against my chest as his head was leaned back, resting on my shoulder. My arms were wrapped securely around him, holding him to me as though my life depended on it. He hand his hands placed on top of mine, his fingers gently drawing patterns on my skin.

We both knew this didn’t mean anything. It didn’t mean that our fight had ended and it didn’t mean that I was forgiven. This was just taking a time-out. Taking a break from the hurt and pain that we’d been thrown into. We both knew this was only for now and as soon as we walked back into the building, then we would go back to that awful place where we were both unhappy because nothing was right and everything was confusing.

If I could, I would freeze time, right here and now, because here there was nothing but contentment. There was no hurt, no confusion, no having to think about that this meant. It was just two people, feeling happy because of the other’s touch. That’s all. Nothing more.

Nothing more. It meant nothing right? This feeling of pure bliss that ran through me whenever I was with him like this. Right. I knew I was kidding myself. But I just couldn’t bring myself to admit it.

I’m an idiot. I know that too.

 

(Sungmin POV)

“Where are Donghae and Hyuk?” I asked as I look around the cafeteria.

“I don’t know. Hyuk dragged Hae out of class this morning and I’ve not seen them since” Kyuhyun shrugs before taking a bite of MY food. He seems to think that now we’re together he can just take all my stuff – and no you dirty minded people out there, it wasn’t including… THAT.. aish – like he owns it!

“I’m worried! What if Hyuk’s done something stupid again and upset Hae?” I pout.

“Aw Min. Don’t worry, okay? There’s nothing to worry about. Hyuk knows that if he hurts Hae again then he will be getting a beat down” Kyu chuckled “Besides, give Hae a little more credit. He isn’t that much of a helpless puppy, you know”

“I know. I just worry is all” I sigh and eat what’s left of my lunch.

Even though lunch was only 10 minutes in, I couldn’t help but feel a little panicky over the whole Donghae/Hyukjae situation. Those two were infuriating, but at the same time I could see why they acted in such a way. Hyuk, being my closest friend, I knew like the back of my hand. And it was obvious that he was feeling something more than friendship towards Donghae, but like always when things change in his life, he’s scared to embrace it. He’s afraid that if he admits to what he’s feeling then everything will be different and he doesn’t know how to deal with that. He’s never been good with change.

Donghae, I can see why he’s how he is too. He’s been getting hurt by Hyuk since day one really, and then they got close and as soon as Hyuk felt it was becoming too much, he lashed out. And because of all of this, Hae is confused and doesn’t know what to do with all of the things that he’s feeling.

Ah, young love. What a pain in the .

“Kyuhyunnie. What on earth are you doing?” I asked, looking up to see him tilting his head sideways as we walked down the empty hallways.

“I was seeing if I could twist my head like an owl” he answered as though it were the most obvious thing in the world… My boyfriend, ladies and gentlemen. Why do I like him again?

“You know, for a smart person, you can be such a ” I laughed slightly, making him pout.

“Yah! I am not. I was just curious because I think it’s cool how they can twist their heads. Anyway, why are you being mean to me, you’re usually nice” he whined.

“I’m trying to take my mind off of those two” I sighed, “I know I shouldn’t worry, but I can’t help it”

We stopped walking as we got to my classroom and stood outside the door. Kyuhyun lightly pushed me against the wall before moving forward to press his body against mine. Letting our foreheads rest together too.

“Minnie, you need to relax. I know you worry and I know you care, but there are some things that we can’t help with. They need to work through this by themselves, okay? And as much as you want to help them, you need to leave them to it. We’ve given them that push towards each other, so now let them figure out what their next move will be” he said softly.

I sighed, knowing that there was no point in arguing, he was right after all. He was always right about these things.

“See, now I can’t be mean to you because you’re being smart again” I smile slightly, looking into his eyes.

“Ah, chincha?!” he rolled his eyes “And here I was, thinking we were having a moment”

I laughed slightly, “But we already have so many moments…”

“We do. But I want more, because I can never get enough of you Sungminnie~”

“Aigoo, you’re so cheesy Cho Kyuhyun. If I didn’t know any better I’d say you were trying to get something from me” I giggled

“I wouldn’t dream of having any ulterior motives, my lovely bunny” he smirked before placing a soft kiss on my lips.

“Woah there. Too much PDA going on here” a voice laughed, causing me and Kyu to quickly part from one another. A dark blush taking over my face as we came face to face with Yunho and Jaejoong.

“Yah! Why were you watching, huh?” Kyuhyun frowns.

“Is that really any way to speak to your hyung Cho?” Yunho chuckled, earning a glare from Kyu.

“Have you seen Junsu-ah around?” Jaejoong asked me, ignoring the two fools that were currently staring each other down.

“Aniyo. Waeyo?” I answered

“Aish. I was meant to keep an eye on him” Jaejoong sighed.

“Oh? How come?” I asked, suddenly finding myself curious. It was unusual for Jaejoong to focus on anything besides Yunho – and they say they aren’t dating. Psh, yeah right.

He looked around quickly before pulling me off to one side. “If I tell you something, you have to promise me that it stays between you and me. Not even Yunnie knows...” He whispered.

“I swear” I promised, my curiosity only growing by the second.

“I’m meant to keep him away from Park Yoochun. They’ve been…. Seeing each other secretly, and I need to keep Su away from him until he graduates because if they get caught, they could get in A LOT of trouble” he said in a hushed voice, so that the other two wouldn’t over hear us.

“Woah, wait a minute. Park Yoochun? As in Principal Park?!” I asked in an urgent whisper, my eyes as large as golf balls.

“Ne. So, if you see him, text me okay?”

“Okay” I nodded, still trying to process the information I was just told. Who would have though, a good kid like Junsu being caught up in something so… so… scandalous!

“Come on Yunnie, we need to keep looking for him” Jaejoong quickly announced, stopping the bickering that was now going on between Yunho and Kyu.

“Aww, but waeeeeeee?” Yunho whined. “He’s a big boy, he can look after himself. Besides, I’m having fun teasing our Kyuhyunnie about his new boyfriend”

“Yah! At least I had the balls to confess!” Kyu snapped back, making Yunho blush a dark shade of red.

“Why you little-” Yunho started only to get cut off by Jaejoong dragging him away as he yelled a quick goodbye over his shoulder.

As soon as they disappeared around the corner, I broke into a fit of laughter.

“That…. Was… So… Haha! Oh god… You should h-have… S-seen his face!!” I got out between giggles.

“Woah, calm down there. You’ll get a hernia or something!” Kyuhyun laughed, as he allowed me to lean on him, so that I didn’t fall over from the laughing fit I was in the midst of.

“But y-you totally g-got him!” I giggled “It’s… so obvious… he wants Jaejoong, but he… won’t admit it…. Hehehe”

“You’ve seriously had too much sugar… Or crack… Or something. Gees, calm yourself!” he chuckled, pulling me to stand up-right before wrapping his long arms around my waist.

“Never~~~~~~~” I giggled again, before leaning up on my tip-toes and pressing my lips to his, resuming what we were doing before we were so rudely interrupted.

Before long, he was placing butterfly kisses down my jaw until he got to my neck and began to nibble and at my flesh.

“Y-Yah! Don’t l-leave, ah, a mark!” I said, fighting back a moan as his tongue traced my sensitive spot.

“Mhmm” he hummed against my neck, and I could feel the smirk on his lips as the moved against my skin.

“S-Sto-oh-op! Someone’s g-going to catch us! We’re in s-school for god’s sake” I said, attempting to push him off of me.

“I don’t wanna” he said, smirking a little as he pulled back to look at my face – which was now red because I was flustered beyond belief. I simply glared at him and he laughed, throwing his hands up in defeat. “Alright, alright. You win, I’ll stop….. For now! Mwaa haa haa~ I have to get to class anyways, bye Minnie-ah love you!” he quickly pecked my lips before running off down the hall. I could still hear him laughing even after he was out of sight.

Aish. What is wrong with that boy?

I was about to turn into my class when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned to see Jessica standing there, a sheepish smile on her face.

I sighed, “What do you want?” I really wasn’t in the mood for her, I could barely stand her when she’s with Hyuk, on her own she was even more annoying.

“I need your help” she said, placing one of her manicured claws on her hip – okay so I don’t like her and may make some mean references to her witch like nails! So sue me, as if you’ve never done it before.

“And why would I help you?” I raised an eyebrow to show her that she was seriously insane if she thought I would help her with anything.

“Because the help I need is on how to break up with Hyukjae-ah. I still love him, Sungmin-ah, but only as a friend. And I know he is the same, but neither of us will end it, so I figured, if you love something, set it free right?” she said, biting her lip nervously.

Well damn. I wasn’t expecting that one. Okay, so maybe she isn’t as bad as I thought…. but I still don’t like her.

“Fine. Come to my place after school and we’ll figure out what you’re going to say” I sighed, knowing that I wanted them to break up more than anyone, so I’d be stupid not to help.

“Thank you, so much! I really don’t want to hurt him… You have to believe me when I say that” she said, he voice dropping slightly.

“Then why do it, why cheat? And why wait until now to end it with him?”

“I was scared of losing him. Even though we don’t seem like it, we’re close friends. And I don’t want to lose that. And I’m doing it now because I see the way he looks at Donghae. I see it, and even though it’s going to take him time to accept how he feels, I don’t think I want to be his excuse not to move on. I don’t want to stand in the way of them…” she said, looking slightly teary eyed. “I have to go now, see you later Sungmin-ah”

And then she was gone.

Today was turning out to be a stranger day than I thought possible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hey guys, did you miss me? Lol of course you didn't :')

So yeah, hope you enjoyed this chapter....

Love you guys

Until next time<3