Chapter 3

What is it about you?

(Donghae POV)

Day two at the nut-house I call school.

At least I had an idea of what to expect now, I mean I had made a few friends which was good and I knew who to steer clear of, Hyukjae, and thanks to Kyuhyun I knew my way around. All in all, it seemed like today would be a better day than my first. I just hoped that I wouldn’t be wrong.

I convinced my Umma to let me walk to school today. It wasn’t a long walk, only half an hour or so, but I did take my time. Even so, I was still early. I walked over to one of the vending machines and got myself a carton strawberry milk, I was going to get coke, but it was too early for fizzy drinks. Once I got it I made my way to lounge which thankfully was empty, I wasn’t really in the mood to talk to anyone just yet, not after yesterday, I still felt a little awkward about crying in front of people.

I walked over to the table that Kyuhyun and I sat at yesterday and sat in the seat facing away from the entrance to the room. I carefully put the straw in my drink and took a sip, it was nice and sweet, just what I needed to prepare me for the long day ahead.

I placed my drink down on the table and pulled out a book from my bag. I had quite a bit of time to kill so I might as well read. I was just about to start reading when I heard someone enter the lounge. I paid whoever it was no mind and continued on with my book.

“You’re here early” said a familiar voice.

I looked up from my book and sighed. It really did seem like luck was not on my side. Why did it have to be him of all people?

“I could say the same to you” I said, keeping on a poker face before looking back down at my book and reading again.

“Why are you here?”

“I come here to learn. Like people tend to do in a school” I said without looking up.

“Funny, real funny. I meant why are you here so early?” Hyukjae asked, taking the seat across from me, like he’d done yesterday.

“Because I am”

“Are you really going to act like this?” he sighed. I finally put my book away in defeat and looked up at him.

“Like what?”

“Like a child! I’m trying to make up for how I was yesterday but you’re making it pretty damn hard!” he said, his voice rising slightly.

“In case you hadn’t noticed, I’m not really interested. And I am not acting like a child! Is it my fault that you acted like a jerk and made me feel like an outcast on my first day here?! No, it isn’t so excuse me for being sceptical about you being all nice really” I said exasperatedly. 

“I… Donghae… Was it because of me that you cried yesterday?” he asked in a whisper.

I didn’t answer. I just looked at him, trying to keep my face void of any emotion. I couldn’t be his friend. I couldn’t do that, he was confusing me too much already, imagine if I got to know him more. If I let know me. Then where would I be?

“If it was then  I am really sorry. I know I was acting like a… a jerk, but really, I didn’t mean to upset you. I was just…” he sighed again, I wasn’t sure if he didn’t know how to finish the sentence or if he expected me to know what he meant, but either way I was at a loss. “It’s just that I’m not like this, I don’t like upsetting people but you just… Look, can’t we just try to be friends?”

“Why do you even want to be friends with me? You say that now, but as soon as we’re around people I guarantee you will just be an to me again. So tell me, why should I even give you a chance?”

“Maybe you shouldn’t give me a chance. But I’m not going to sit here and try and beg you to be my friend. Either you will be or you won’t. I can’t make up your mind for you” his voice had turned bitter and cold again.

“And there you go again! You don’t get the answer you want and you start acting like you’re too good for everything! Why is it that everyone else seems to think you’re a great guy that’s nice and a good friend but you do all you can to annoy me?! What the hell did I do to you?!” I yelled before grabbing my bag and heading out without letting him get in another word. I glanced over my shoulder to see him frowned then see pick up the strawberry milk I’d left and finish it off. Really?! That jerk, I mean okay it wasn’t like I was going to go back for it…But still!

As I was storming down the hall way I bumped into someone.

“Oh sorry” I said, before looking up to see who it was. It was a girl, she looked oddly familiar, but where had I seen her before? “Hey aren’t y-”

“What the hell? Do you wanna watch where you’re going?!” a deep voice said from behind her. “Are you alright baby?” he said turning to the girl.

“Yeah, I’m fine” she said, smiling at him then turning back to me. “Wait, weren’t you with Hyukjae yesterday at lunch?” she asked me, her face suddenly turning a little too pale.

“Er, yeah. Oh that’s right, you’re his girlfriend, right?” I said, raising an eyebrow when I noticed suddenly, just how intimately she was standing with the guy I didn’t know the name of.

“Haha. Erm yeah and if you could like, not mention that you saw me, that would be great. Ha, thanks.” He laughed nervously.

It occurred to me then, what was going on. She was cheating on him?! What the hell? Ah, I was not getting involved with this, it was none of my business… but should I tell him? Ani, I said I wasn’t going to be his friend, it is nothing to do with me.

“It’s none of my business” I said, before walking off. Trying not to think about how Hyukjae would feel if he found out.

Why did I even care? He was an . He was rude and mean and… and… But this wasn’t fair. Would he even believe me if I told him? I doubted it. I turned into my classroom to see Kyuhyun and Sungmin already in there, I guess Sungmin was keeping Kyu company before going to his own class.

“Hey guys” I said, walking over to them, smirking at Kyu slightly as I did. He just shot me a playful glare whilst Sungmin beamed at me.

“Hey Donghae! You’re here early” the latter said. He was currently sat on Kyuhyun’s desk with his legs crossed, facing Kyuhyun, who had his elbows resting on Sungmin’s knees, his face was resting in his hands as he looked up at the elder.

“Yeah I know.” I said, sitting beside Kyuhyun. I sighed to myself, what could I do about this Hyukjae thing? I mean, I should tell him right? Ah, but I can’t. It will actually give him a reason to hate me because no doubt he will think I’m lying.

“Are you okay? You seem down” Sungmin commented, as he began to play with Kyuhyun’s hair.

“Hm? Oh yeah, just… I saw something that I’m not really sure what to make of it…” I said, maybe if I told them, then they could tell Hyukjae?

“What’s that?”

“I… I saw Hyukjae’s girlfriend, and it… it looked like she was ch-cheating on him” I said, biting my lip nervously…

“What did I tell you!” Kyuhyun said, sending a smirk to Sungmin, “I told you Jessica can’t be trusted! I knew it! There were too many rumours going around for them to be fake!”

So that was her name.

“Oh whatever. What do we do about it though?” Sungmin furrowed his eyebrows and pouted slightly. Making Kyuhyun smile, and poke his pout.

“There’s nothing we can do Sungminnie. Do you remember when Kangin tried to tell Hyuk that she flirted with him? Hyuk just wouldn’t have it. Saying that hyung was lying just to get him to dump her so that he could have her for himself” Kyuhyun said, shaking his head sadly.

“But Donghae saw it!” Sungmin protested.

“Donghae saw what?” we all turned to see Hyukjae walking into the classroom, one of his eyebrows raised as he approached us.

“Nothing…” Kyuhyun said casually.

I bit my lip. Where they really not going to tell him?

 

(Hyukjae POV)

I’d heard the whole conversation. I’d heard it all. But the sad part was, I already knew. I wasn’t stupid. I knew she wasn’t being faithful, but honestly, I didn’t really care that much. She was the most popular girl in school and she was helping me from being made fun of. By dating her, it was like I got a ‘get out of jail free’ card. I mean, sure, I guess I liked her, and there was no way I would cheat on her, but the one time I confronted her she just started crying and saying she was sorry and that it was all a mistake and it would never happen again. But I guess I was stupid to think she was telling the truth.

Looks like they didn’t want to tell me. I didn’t know whether to be upset that they were lying to me, or happy that they were protecting my feelings.

I looked towards Donghae, who was sat there biting his lip nervously. I could tell that he wanted to tell me, but I didn’t know why he wasn’t going to. It would be great payback for how I treated him yesterday. Why did he have to do this? Why did he have to sit there, nibbling his kissable bottom lip and look all cute and huggable! Why did he have to be so nice?! Why did he make me have that stupid dream! I need to clear my head of this kid. Why was I even thinking he was cute? I’m not gay for heaven’s sake!

I nodded to my friends, choosing not to push the topic any further, and took my seat next to the stupid fish boy that wouldn’t get off my mind.

Why didn’t he want to my friend? Did I really make him feel that bad? Okay, that was my mission for today! Make Lee Donghae my friend! God, I hope I’m doing the right thing!

Before long, Sungmin left and our class began to pour in. When everyone was seated and the teacher had arrived, the lesson began.

“Donghae…” I whispered, trying to get the boy’s attention. But he just ignored me, jotting down something that I know he wrote down yesterday… Not that I was watching him or anything…

I sighed and pulled a slip of paper from out of my note book.

Carefully I wrote a quick note before handing it to him.

Hae, please don’t ignore me.  –Hyukjae

he looked over the paper and sighed before writing something and handing it back to me.

What do you want? And who said you could call me Hae? – Donghae.

I just want to talk to you. Do you really not want to be my friend? – Hyukjae

Why would I? You’re not really a nice person. And you drank my milk! – Donghae.

Look, I am really sorry. You saw that?! Damn… But you left it behind!

 Can’t we just… Start over? – Hyukjae

Start over? – Donghae

Yeah, it’s easy. Hey, I’m Lee Hyukjae, but you can call me Hyukjae.

And you are? – Hyukjae.

Ha! Really? Fine, I will give you a chance.

My name is Lee Donghae. You can call me Donghae – Donghae

Wanna have lunch with me today?

Just me and you, so we can get better acquainted. – Hyukjae

I… I don’t know… - Donghae

Please… *does sad puppy dog eyes* - Hyukjae

Aish, fine. You’re such a baby!

But you owe me a drink  – Donghae.

 

I smiled to myself as I read the note. Step one… Complete!

After that the morning flew by, it seemed like today would be a good day. You know, if I didn’t mess up and act like a jerk again… but it isn’t my fault, I just. There is something about this guy that makes me act differently, it’s like I want to get to know him too much and my heart is telling me to go for it and be close with him, whilst my head is telling me that this isn’t right and I shouldn’t be feeling so attached to someone I barely know! And for some reason, my head always wins and I end up trying to push him away.

I really didn’t know what was going on with me, it seems like since Donghae stepped into my life, my brain just didn’t want to function properly.

Finally it was lunch time!

I smiled as I stood up from my chair. Throwing my bag over my shoulder. I brought lunch with me today, I couldn’t really be bothered to stand in line and buy something. I had my beloved strawberry milk too so it was all good. And plus I got a free one this morning, courtesy of Donghae. Kekeke.

I waited for Donghae to get on his backpack before grabbing his hand and leading him out of the classroom and down the hall.

“Where are we going? The cafeteria is the other way!” Donghae said, he pulled his hand a little, but when he realised I wasn’t letting go, he gave up and held my hand too.

Suddenly the thought of holding his hand registered to me. I was glad he couldn’t see my face at the moment because I knew I was blushing like crazy.

“I know, I said just the two of us remember. So we’re not going to the cafeteria” I said, not looking back at him.

“But I don’t have any lunch!”

“I do, you can share mine” I said leading him up a couple of staircases until we finally reached the place I was leading us to. The rooftop.

Not many kids liked it up here. it was kind of rundown and not the nicest of places, but what they didn’t know is that if you climbed over to the roof of the gym, then there was a small garden up there.

I lead him over to the small grassy area and sat down, pulling him down next to me. It then occurred to me that I still hand his hand, I blushed again and let go sheepishly.

Why was I acting this way? I’d held hands with Sungmin before, but I never got flustered or embarrassed about it. So why now?!

“Woah, this place is so cool” Donghae said in awe as he looked around with a smile on his face.

“Does that mean you forgive me and we can be friends now?” I asked, smiling slightly.

“Forgive you? But I only just met you” he said, tilting his head to the side cutely

“What are you… Oh right, starting over” I laughed and rolled my eyes.

I pulled my bag in front of me and unpacked the lunch I had prepared. I bit my lip noticing I had only brought one drink. My strawberry milk. I can’t really let him go thirsty… And I did kind of drink his. But I’d never shared my precious strawberry milk before.

I sighed and pulled it out too. Poking the straw into it I handed it too him, trying not to show how much it killed me inside.

He smiled and took a sip, as he removed the straw from his mouth, a little of the drink dropped off onto his bottom lip.

Without thinking, I laughed and leaned forward, wiping it away with my thumb. I pulled back and the milk off of my thumb, as I did I realised what I had just done. I looked over at Donghae who was frozen, his cheeks were red and his eyes were wide.

Why in hell did I do that?!

“Ha, erm, I… So…” I got out awkwardly. Luckily for me, Donghae then composed himself.

“So, why were you so mean to Sungmin yesterday?” he asked, I would have been glad about the subject change, but this particular one made me feel like a grade A douchebag.

“Aish. Honestly, I don’t know. I was just annoyed at you for calling me a monkey, I mean I know it was my own fault but I tend to do things without thinking. Believe me, the last thing I would want to do is upset Min. He’s my closest friend and I still feel like an about it” I sighed, taking the rest of my drink and finishing it off before Donghae could steal anymore of it.

“Hmmm… Maybe I was wrong about you” he said thoughtfully.

“What do you mean?” It was now my turn to tilt my head slightly, making him chuckle.

“I mean, maybe I judged you too quickly”

“So you mean, we’re friends now?” I asked, hopefully.

“We’ll see. I’ve not made up my mind about you yet” he smirked and began to eat the food I’d laid out.

What is the boy doing to me?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hey you guys~

I know that in the previous chapers there have been a few typos BUT I'm too lazy to got fix them, sorry :P

Anyways, hope you enjoyed this chapter~

Don't forget to comment! Please, I needs the comments peoples!

And subscribe too ^.^

And if you really love me... Up-vote? :D

Haha, love you guys.

Until next time<3