Chapter 5

What is it about you?

(Donghae POV)

I got home faster than I thought I would, I started walking at a rapid pace when I noticed Hyukjae was following behind me. A part of me was thinking about waiting for him to catch up and walk with him but another part of me was telling me not to, telling me that this would only end badly.

In the end I practically ran home, wanting to avoid the weird feelings I seem to get whenever I am around him.

“Donghae! You got home quickly” my Umma smiled as I walked into the house, kicking off my shoes as I did.

“Ne, I wanted to hurry home and see my lovely Umma” I smiled as I took off my bag and coat, after hanging up my coat I went and put my bag in my room before coming back in down to the kitchen to help my Umma prepare dinner.

“Make sure to wash your hands” she said as I walked over to do so, “So did you have a good day at school? We didn’t really talk much about your first day being as I was at work”

“Oh, ne. It was fine, I’m getting on well with my studies” I answered, drying my hands before turning to cut up some carrots.

“What about friends? Have you made any yet?” she asked, simmering off some onions.

“Yeah, some” I answered, “I’ve made two really good ones called Kyuhyun and Sungmin. And then a few others that I don’t talk to as much” I contemplated telling her about Hyukjae, I mean, I never hid anything from my Umma, but what was I to say? Were we friends? Were we not? I honestly didn’t know at this point.

“Mhm, so what aren’t you telling me?” she said, a small smirk playing on her lips.

“Sometimes it’s annoying that you know me so well” I pouted, “Okay, so I’ve made a… Frenemy? I’m not really sure what to call him. It’s confusing me” I sighed and finished off cutting.

Within record speed my Umma finished up with everything and left it on the stove to cook slowly, telling me to wash my hands again as she did. After she washed her hands too and then lead me into the living room where she sat me down on the sofa and smiled at me warmly.

“Tell me all about it” she said in a soft voice, one that she used when she would help me solve any worries I had.

“Okay, well yesterday he was really mean to me at first but then he told me he wanted to be my friend, then I overheard my friends talking, saying that they thought he was… um, attracted… to me… and well after that he was talking to me again but I didn’t really want to talk to anyone at the time and he said something that he didn’t realise was wrong and it made me cr-upset. Then he said he was sorry but soon after he started being cold to me again. And it’s been like that since! He can be the sweetest person ever one moment and then really horrible the next! And I don’t know, I mean I don’t, or didn’t want to be his friend but when I’m around him I always feel… weird and when I’m not I’m constantly thinking about him! AND his girlfriend is cheating on him, but I can’t tell him because he won’t believe me and will be horrible to me again” I said in a rant like tone. I was a bit worried that I almost slipped and let my Umma know that I’d cried, I really didn’t want her to know about that, it would only worry her.

“Aigoo, my poor baby” she cooed, pulling me into a hug. “It sounds as though this boy is very confused about you. Try not to dwell on it too much okay, and just try to be his friend. It seems like he has his own troubles too and just doesn’t know how to deal with it. Try to be there for him okay?” she said in her all-knowing way.

“Arasso Umma. You always know what to do and how to make me feel better”

“Of course I do, that’s what Umma is for” she smiled and patted my head “Now, you go and have a bath and relax and I will call you down when dinner is ready”

I nodded and did as she said, making my way up the stairs with a small smile on my face. Yep, Umma always knew how to make it better. I would take her advice, she was right, he probably had his own problems and I should just try to be nice.

I quickly undressed as the water began to fill the tub, I added in bubbles and waited for the water to be high enough to get to get in. I got into the water, it was the perfect temperature, making it easier to relax.

I let my head rest on the back of the tub and sighed deeply.

Lee Hyukjae. This boy was always on my mind. I had known him now for just under 48 hours and already he had such a big impact on my life. I didn’t know what it was about him that made me feel so… unusual. He could make me smile with the smallest things but then, one cold word from him and I’d feel like crying.

Maybe it was because I was still thinking of my Appa that I felt so vulnerable lately. After all, I had left him behind when we moved here.  I could no longer go and visit his grave, the only things I had left of him were pictures and I very rarely looked at them. There was only one I would see every day. It was from when I was eight. I was in a baseball uniform, a mitt on my hand and a ball in my other. My Appa stood next to me proudly, holding the bat. His face was next to mine as he made a ‘V’ sign with his free hand, both of us were wearing big smiles and looking happy. It was my favourite picture of him. It was placed on my desk.

I’d finished unpacking my room yesterday. My Umma wasn’t home and I’d had nothing better to do so I finished up, thinking it would save my Umma helping me. It was only fair after all she did for me.

I tried to focus on other things and I lay there in the water, trying to unwind. But all of my thoughts lead back to him.

The one thing that my brain focused on the most was the way he smiled at me when he held my face in his hands softly. And the feel of his thumb running across my lip.

I really didn’t know what it was about those things that made me blush. They meant nothing right? So why did it feel as though they meant everything.

The rest of the evening went by in a daze. I vaguely remember drying and dressing. Eating dinner with my Umma. Studying for a while. And now here I was, lying in bed, sleepy but unable to enter the world of dreams.

And why was that? Because I was looking at my phone… Waiting for a text… From him.

I don’t even know why I was waiting. He surely had better things to do than to say goodnight to me. But here I was hoping he would. Hoping to see his name flash up on my phone. But nothing came through.

I sighed and gave up looking at it, there was no point waiting for something that would never come.

It made no sense that I would wait anyway.

Rolling over, I pulled my Nemo plushie close to me and tried my hardest to fall asleep. Which seemed to take forever.

 

(Hyukjae POV)

This morning I woke up and my parents had already left for work. So as usual I had to get everything sorted by myself and rather than waiting around in an empty house, I did as I always did and left out for school to get there early. Most of the time I would get there at least an hour before everyone else, but I didn’t mind. Sometimes it would help to get my work done there and not have to worry about it at home so I could just relax.

I was sat in the lounge as usual when I heard someone walk in. Looking up I saw that it was him.

“Hey” he said and sat down across from me.

“H-Hey?” I said, a little taken a back, this was the first time he’d actually chosen to start a conversation with me.

“You’re here early again” he commented, setting down his bag and pulling out a cereal bar.

“So are you” I said, “and why is that?”

“I don’t really know to be honest” he said, breaking off a piece of the bar and handing it to me. Then popped his own half in his mouth and began chewing.

“That’s weird. And thanks” I said, eating the food he’d given to me

“You’re welcome”

“I was going to text you last night” I said, trying to keep the conversation alive.

“Then why didn’t you?” he asked, tilting his head to the side slightly.

I looking at his incredulously for a moment before answering “I... I didn’t think you’d want me to”

“That didn’t stop you before” he noted, before pulling out a carton of strawberry milk from his bag. Was he trying to tease me or something today?

He popped in the straw and took a long sip before handing the rest to me and zipping up his bag, placing it on the chair beside him.

I just looked at the drink in my hand, not sure what to make of it.

Apparently, I’d been looking at it long enough to annoy him, so he took it from my hand and leant over the table, pushing the straw between my lips and looking at me expectantly.

Though confused, I did as he expected and finished off the drink as he held it to my lips. When I was finished, he then walked over to the bin and threw it away, along with the wrapper of the cereal bar.

Why was he acting like this all of a sudden? And why because of that did I just get the urge to hug him? Why was it every time I looked at his lips, I would wonder what they’d feel like pressed against my own? I wasn’t gay, I was sure of that! I had a girlfriend, and that was proof… Right? So then why did I feel this way when I was around him? I’d never felt this way around Jessica or any of the other girls I’d dated, so why him? What was it about him that made me feel like I couldn’t control myself.

“Yah! Stop staring at me, it’s creepy” he said breaking me from my thoughts.

“Oh, mian. I didn’t realise I was”

“You know, it’s rude to day dream when you have company” he said, shaking his head slightly, an amused smile on his lips.

Those lips… They looked so soft. I’d confirmed that yesterday when my thumb had ran across them. Aish! What is wrong with me?!

“I wasn’t day dreaming” I frowned, “I was just thinking?”

“Oh god! You were thinking?! We’re all doomed!” he laughed, it was as though his laughter lit up the entire room. I would have glared at him, had he not been so hypnotic.

I didn’t understand, he laughed yesterday but I had managed not to just stay there and stare at him like a fool. However, right now, something was holding me there on the spot, not allowing me to move or to talk. All I could do was watch him with a small smile on my face.

When finally, he calmed down he shot me a small smile and said “Wow, I think this is the longest you’ve gone without getting mad at me”

“Who said I’m not mad at you? I’m a good actor” I grinned back.

“If you say so, Hyukkie, if you say so” he laughed, then covered his mouth as he realised what he’d said.

“H-Hyukkie?” I asked, I could already feel the redness crawling up to my cheeks. The way he had said it, the nickname he had given me, it was like it sent an electric current through me, igniting my entire being in this new feeling. It was like a tingling all over, it shouldn’t feel good, but it did.

“I… I’m sorry, it... it just slipped out” he said, blushing cutely.

I composed myself as fast as I could and shook my head slightly.

“It’s fine fish boy. I don’t mind” I smiled, rolling my eyes slightly, trying not to show how much it really did affect me. But the question was… Why did it affect me?

“Yah! I’m not a fish boy!” he pouted. Aigoo, so cute!

“Oh really? Then why is there a Nemo charm hanging from your bag?” I raised an eyebrow as I pointed to said charm.

He quickly hid his bag behind his back and pouted even more, how was it possible for him to get cuter?

“I like Nemo! So sue me!” he said in a childish voice, making me laugh.

“Sure, sure. Come on anyway, we should head to class” I said, standing up and putting my bag over my shoulder.

Donghae did the same, then without thinking, I took his hand and began to lead the way to the classroom. Once there we walked in and sat down, it wasn’t until I looked up at his blushing face that I realised I was still holding his hand.

I quickly let go and tried to hide my reddened face.

What was happening to me?

 

(Sungmin POV)

I stood there and watched in disbelief as Hyukjae walked into his classroom, hand in hand with Donghae.

“What did I tell you?” Kyuhyun whispered in my ear, sending shivers down my spine. He was stood behind me, his arms wrapped snuggly around my waist, his chin resting on my shoulder.

I turned my head slightly so that my lips brushed against his cheek “So what do you think will happen now?” I whispered back, closing my eyes slightly, enjoying the warmth of Kyuhyun pressed against my back.

“I don’t know, but something tells me this is going to be more complicated than it has to be” he sighed.

“Well, Hyuk does have a girlfriend. And Hae is clueless, I mean seriously, those two. Aish!” I huffed.

Kyuhyun laughed slightly and held me a little tighter “They’ll realise soon. It’s what happens when they do that I’m worried about”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, I think Hae will be fine with realising there is something between them, but Hyuk… I mean, have you seen how determined he is to be straight? He won’t just accept that he likes Donghae, not right away” Kyu explained.

“But, didn’t you hear what Teukkie hyung said? He said that Hyuk shared his strawberry milk with Hae! I’ve know the guy years and if I so much as touch his milk he bites me! Surely that means something” I tried.

“Sungminnie hyung, you know full well what Hyuk is like, he will believe that the Easter bunny is Santa in disguise before he admits liking another guy” Kyuhyun rolled his eyes.

“I know, but maybe he is just having trouble with it. I mean, it isn’t easy to admit you have feelings for someone” I sighed.

“Believe me, I know that. It’s going to be a lot harder for them when they become close friends though” he said, his voice sounding strained.

“Kyu…”

“Forget it. We just… We shouldn’t get involved. There is only one thing we need to help with and that is making Hyuk break up with Jessica. It’s obvious they don’t like each other, they’re only with each other for convenience and she is clearly in love with that other guy, I forgot his name”

“I know who you mean” I said. “I just don’t want them to do anything that they’ll regret. I mean, they’re only just acting nicely towards each other. If one of them does something rash then the other will flip and they will just be miserable! I know we shouldn’t get involved but we should at least make sure they stay on the right path… Right?”

“Minnie…”

“Please Kyu, I just want them to be happy”

He sighed and buried his face in my neck “Fine, but if it was anyone else asking, I would have said aniyo”

“I know” I smiled and turned to face him, his arms stayed firmly around my waist. I brought my arms up to his neck and hugged him tightly.

“One day, I’ll learn how to say aniyo to you” he chuckled, pressing his forehead against mine

“Never, I won’t allow it” I smirked

“Aish, why do I put up with you?” he chuckled

“Because I’m amazing, I thought it was obvious” I joked, I thought he’d roll his eyes like always but to my surprise, he just smiled and said;

“You really are”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hello there my dears~

Hope you enjoyed this chapter, I decided to add a little more KyuMin in ^.^

Comment and let me know what you think, please.

And sub too, 'cause then you will be the best person ever!

(If you do, you should reward yourself with a cookie)

An up-vote would be lovely also :D

Love you guys!

Take care, and until next time<3