Chapter 21

What is it about you?

 (Hyukjae POV)

Okay. I can do this. I can totally do this, I mean it isn’t like it’s a big deal right? I just need to tell him how I feel and then take whatever comes with it… I got this…

I repeated the same pep talk I’d given myself last night as I made my way over to Donghae’s. I was nervous as hell, but I knew what I had to do. I needed to get it all off my chest. I finally needed to man up and just go with it because if I didn’t then what was to stop him from finding someone else. I mean, I knew there was no certainty that he would like me back, but I had to at least try, because if I didn’t I knew that I’d regret it.

Taking a deep breath, I knocked on the door that was now so familiar to me, I spent so much time here lately.

The door opened to reveal a smiling Donghae. He gestured for me to come inside after greeting me and then led the way to his living room where there were already a few DVDs and snacks on the table waiting.

“So, what do you wanna watch?” he asked handing me the pile of movies.

I carefully looked through them all, trying to keep my thoughts focused, though I couldn’t seem to concentrate on anything other than how the hell I was going to confess to him and what I was going to say when I did.

“Here, this” I said, handing him a random film.

He smiled and nodded his head slightly “Great choice~” he said, walking over to put it on.

“Cool” was all I could get out before settling myself down on the sofa, which I now noticed was strewn with pillows and a huge blanket. I smiled to myself and got comfortable under the covers, waiting for him to join me.

He finished setting up the movie and grabbed the bowl of popcorn that he’d already laid out before joining me. Instinctively, I wrapped my arm around his shoulders and pulled him close to me. He in turn, snuggled into me and let out a happy sigh.

And so the film started and we nibbled on the popcorn, every now and then he would jump and hide his face in my chest – before long the popcorn was all over the floor next to the upside down bowl that he dropped at one particularly scary part – and I would hold him tightly, showing him that I would protect him.

Somewhere about half way through the movie, I found myself letting my lips ghost over his neck, whilst my hands ran smoothly along his sides. I felt him shiver beneath my touch and smiled. Ever so softly, I let my lips press against his jaw, and began to slowly trail butterfly kisses up to the side of his mouth.

“H-Hyukkie?” he stuttered, though he leaned more into my touch.

“Mmm?” I hummed, letting my nose nuzzle against the side of his face, gently.

“C-Can I… Well, can you e-explain to me what y-yesterday w-was about…?” he asked carefully.

“I needed to figure something out” I told him honestly, not moving away from him, though he tried to pull back slightly, but in the end gave up.

“And did you… figure it out?” he asked in nothing more than a whisper.

“Mhm, I think I did. Now, watch the movie, we’ll talk about this after” I said, taking his earlobe between my teeth and nibbling it slightly before pulling back with a small smile on my face when I saw how flushed he was.

“B-But…”

“Shhh… Later” I smiled, taking one of his hands between my own and starting to play with it.

He sighed but didn’t argue any more. So I took the opportunity to bring his hand to my lips and place a gentle kiss on each of his fingertips before placing a final one on the palm of his hand. After that, I simply watched him as he watched the movie, taking in all of his expressions and all of his features.

Honestly, I don’t know why I didn’t realise how much I liked him sooner, well I suppose I did, I just couldn’t bring myself to admit it. But now, I realise that I was an idiot, because how could I have been denying someone as amazing as this boy for so long? I was still a little shaken up by the entire thing, I mean, hell I’d fallen for my best friend, but at the same time I was so… content, with how I felt.

Thinking back on it, I should have just gone up to him on that first day and just made him my friend, let things progress, and then made him mine. But now, because I’d been so stubborn, I didn’t even know if he’d accept me. I’d put him though so much and I’d been the reason behind his tears on more than one occasion. Sure, he said that he forgives me, but that doesn’t mean that he’ll just welcome me with open arms now. Hell, I didn’t even know if he liked me back. Though surely the way he responded to all the touches and kisses was insight that he did feel something for me.

Without thinking, I leaned over and placed a loving kiss on his cute little cheek.

He flinched slightly but soon relaxed. I smiled as I felt his cheek heat up underneath my lips. He let out a sort of whining noise but made no attempt to pull away from me.

I didn’t know when I gotten so daring, but I suppose it was my way of making up for lost time. I couldn’t help it though, when I was with him like this, something was just pulling me towards him. It was like I’d been trying to fight this… urge… for so long that finally all of this built up frustration had just gotten the better of me and was working its way out.

Honestly, the last thing on my mind was the movie, hell, I could barely even remember the title of it, but it did have Hae’s undivided attention. Attention that I wanted, no needed, and I was set on getting it.

Without so much as  a second thought, I grabbed onto Donghae’s hips and pulled him round so that he was straddling me, his hands were resting on my shoulders whilst mine stayed planted firmly on his waist. Our faces were mere inches from one another, so that I could feel his hitched breathing on my face.

I fought back a smirk as we stared into each other’s eyes.

The cover had fallen to the floor by now and some of the pillows were strewn around by it, some still lay messily on the sofa. Not that I cared.

He bit his lip slightly as he lifted his hand to my face. He slowly let his thumb run over my cheek, then moved onto my lips, letting the pad of his thumb ghost across my lower lip.

“Why are you doing this?” he whispered.

I let out a quiet sigh as he brought his hand back to my cheek. Closing my eyes, I leant into his touch.

“It’s a long story” I whispered back.

“We’ve got time” he said, as I felt him rest his forehead against my own.

“I… I don’t know how… to… explain properly” I said, opening my eyes finally, to see his mesmerizing brown orbs staring back at me. I took in a shaky breath, finding myself nervous again, because I knew that this was it. Now was when I would have to lay it all out on the table and just hope by some miracle I don’t mess up again.

He brought his other hand up to touch the other side of my face before carefully placing a quick kiss on my lips and whispering “Try”

“Okay. But promise me… That after I say this, you won’t change how you feel about me” I said in a barely audible voice as I rubbed my nose against his.

“Okay… So tell me Hyukkie…”

I let my fingers absentmindedly draw patterns on this skin of his hips as I began to speak. “When I met you… I was hell bent on hating you. I didn’t want to know you, I didn’t want anything to do with you. But… You had this… This hold over me. You made me feel things that I didn’t even know I could feel. I started to get so damn confused… And you… You weren’t helping at all.

 “I’m not saying that any of this is your fault, but I just don’t know what it is about you that makes me feel like I need you. Like I always want to be around you and hold you and I was scared because I didn’t know what all of this meant. And then I… I kissed you and it all just… it made me crazy! I didn’t know what the hell was happening. But I felt something when I kissed you, that I’d never felt before in my life. It was too much and I ended up doing something I never, ever wanted to do, because I ended up hurting you and I never wanted to do that.

 “I’ve hurt you more than I thought I could ever hurt someone and I don’t think anyone could hate me more than I hate myself because of that. Then all of that stuff with Sunny happened and I didn’t realise it, but I was… I was jealous because if she liked you then maybe there was a chance you would fall for her too. And I don’t think that I’d be able to cope if I ever lost you. Which is stupid right? Because you were never mine in the first place. But I was always sure that you’d just… be there… for me, just waiting. And I know how selfish that sounds because it’s wrong of me to expect so much of you when you get nothing in return. But then I had to face it, I had to just let myself accept the reason that I was so jealous, the reason that I wanted you to be around me all the time.

 “But I needed to make sure that was I was feeling was real and not just something I wanted because of the idea of it. And so I kissed you again. And it was like… it was like that moment in the last Harry Potter book where Hermione and Ron finally kiss and it’s spontaneous and so full of emotion and it’s like this whole built up thing and when it finally happens it’s what you imagined and so, so much more! You know, like when Harry finally killed Voldemort and it was just so… WOW. You know? –  ”

“– Please, enough with the Harry Potter references – ”

 “– Sorry, as I was saying, Hae… Maybe it took me too long to realise it, but I did. Hell, I even up my pride and went to ask Sungmin for advice – not that it provided much help because seriously, I could have come up with this plan alone – but yeah and I realised that I couldn’t just keep pretending anymore so I’m just going to say it!

 “I like you, like a lot Donghae and I’ve been denying it for too long now, and I can’t do that anymore. So, this is me, here with you, just laying my cards out on the table and saying that I like you so much! I have a pretty weird way of showing it apparently, but I really do like you and I want to be with you, like be with you. When I’m with you, I fell like laughing and crying and just everything all at once! And now I know why, it’s you, everything about you is just… I want it. I want you, hell, I need you! I just… I just wanted you to know that” I let out a huff of air as I looked up to see the unreadable expression on Donghae’s face.

My hands halted their movements on his hips as I looked at him, waiting for him to say something… Anything.

“Well… That was… a-a lot to, um, t-take in…” He spoke after what felt like hours of silence.

“I know this was really sudden, but d-do you think you’d maybe… want this to b-be something? Like… me and you?” I asked in a quiet voice.

“Hyukkie…” he whispered, though I could tell by his voice this wasn’t going to go how I’d hoped.

“Well, this doesn’t sound good” I laughed bitterly.

“It’s not that… Please, just… hear me out. I like you too Hyukkie, I really do and you have no idea how much I’ve been wanting you to say those words to me… But, as much as I want to be with you, I don’t want to just jump into this. Before we become anything official, I want to do the whole date thing, the shy pecks on the cheek and the careful grazing of hands, but we’ve kind of already killed that with the whole making-out thing – not that I’m complaining about that by the way – it’s just… I don’t want to rush into anything because a part of me still thinks that this is just some joke and it’ll just end badly and one of us, or even both of us will just end up getting hurt” he said, avoiding my eyes.

“Fine. Alright, I can work with this… So, Lee Donghae, are you free on Friday night?” I asked, a smirk playing on my lips.

“Are you asking me on a date?”

“And if I am?”

“Hmm… I dunno, I might need some convincing~”

I gasped in mock horror “You mean my speech wasn’t convincing enough?!”

“Afraid not” he giggled “So what else do you have up your sleeve?”

“Oh boy~ You shouldn’t have asked that” I grinned before picking him up and gently pushing him to lay down on the floor and lowering myself on top of him.

“Oh? And why is that?” he asked airily, wrapping his arms around my neck. I let my arms support my weight as I let my chest press against his.

“Because there is so much I want to do to convince you, and I might not be able to stop. I mean, in case you haven’t noticed, my actions are completely unpredictable when I’m around you” I smirked.

It seemed like smirking was becoming a common occurrence now.

“Ah, that. You see, I think that everyone in South Korea has noticed how unpredictable you are Lee Hyukjae. But even though you’re a complete , I still like you for some reason. So… I think I can handle whatever you’ve got for me.” He grinned teasingly.

“Yah! I’m not always an ! I can be nice! I shared my milk with you, ha, come to think of it, that should have been a HUGE clue in itself” I looked down at him and smirked again “Speaking of things that are huge…”

“Oh god! No, no that’s enough. Off! Now! Up you get, you insane erted jerk!” Donghae rolled his eyes, pushing me off of him.

“I was talking about the bowl of popcorn that we need to pick up…” I said innocently, as I pointed to the popcorn littering the floor, “What were you thinking of?” I raised an eyebrow.

“I… I… I… W-Wasn’t… I mean I… Urgh, just shut up and help me clean up this mess!” he glared, staring to tidy up.

I chuckled before getting up to help him, as I did I made sure to let my hand brush against his or teasingly peck his cheek.

Once that was done we made our way into the kitchen to dispose of the uneaten snack. Donghae tipped it into the bin and placed the bowl in the sink before turning to face me as he leant against the counter.

I smiled and walked over to where he stood and placed my hands on the counter, either side of him and pressed my body against his lightly.

“So, where would you like to go on our date?” I asked as I let my forehead rest against his.

“I haven’t really thought about it, you know being as you asked me all of twenty minutes ago” he rolled his eyes “Besides, I was hoping you’d surprise me”

“I can do surprises” I grinned, making him roll his eyes once again. I leaned in and pecked his lips “see” I pecked them again “I told you” I pecked them again “This surprised you” and again “Didn’t it.”

“I suppose so~” he giggled and grabbed the back of my neck, pulling me in to kiss me properly.

And just like that, our third real kiss took place. Only this time, he was the one that initiated it and I couldn’t have been happier if I tried.

I felt his hands move up into my hair and his fingers get tangled in my locks, whilst my arms encircled his waist.

I guess we were so caught up in one another that we didn’t even realise someone had walked in the house.

“Well… I can’t say that is something I expected to walk in on…”

The two of us broke apart and turned to face the source of the voice that had interrupted us. And of course it had to be his Umma…

“M-M-Ms.Lee… I… I…” I stuttered, taking a quick step away from Donghae, who was now a deep shade of red and looking down at his feet sheepishly.

“Not now Hyukjae” she said looking at me sternly.

“I think I should… um... go?”

“Good choice” she chuckled, “Though we will be having a little chat later, mister”

“Of course. Goodbye Ms.Lee… I’ll, um, call you later Hae” I said and gave him a quick one armed hug before leaving the house.

 

(Donghae POV)

“I… Can explain?” I said, biting my lip nervously…

“No need. It’s pretty obvious to me” my Umma laughed, shaking her head slightly. “But I am kind of disappointed that you didn’t tell me you had a boyfriend, I mean I thought we were closer than that but I guess n…”

I tuned out the rest of her rambling as I realised what she’d just said. My eyes widened to the size of saucers “Woah! Umma, it’s not like that. He… He isn’t my b-boyfriend…”

“That was what it looked like. I mean, it isn’t every day that you walk in on a young boy on your son’s face” she said looking at me doubtfully.

“You are so embarrassing!”

“I’m an Umma, it’s my job to embarrass you” she laughed, “But seriously honey, I want you to be careful. I know you like him and I know that he’s a nice boy, but it wasn’t so long ago that he was the reason you were crying yourself to sleep…”

“H-How did you…”

“I just know. You’re my baby boy and nothing will change that. I know you more than you think, call it a mother’s instinct, but I’ll always know” she smiled sweetly.

“I’ll be alright Umma, don’t worry” I sighed… At least I hoped I would be anyway.

“I know you will. You’ve always been a strong boy and I am so proud of you because of that, but that doesn’t mean I won’t worry. You… You’re all I have left in this world Donghae, and I don’t want to see you getting hurt, especially if it’s over a boy. What I’m trying to say is… After your… Your A-Appa, you were there for me when it should have been the other way around. So if you ever need anything, and I mean anything, you tell me okay, and I will do my best to get it for you. And so help me god, if that boy hurts you again, I will hunt him down and kill him myself” she said, tears appearing in her eyes.

I felt myself getting teary too as I stepped forward and pulled her into a hug. since we’d arrived here, I rarely saw my Umma and it was hard because it meant that although I had great friends, I was alone most of the time.

“I love you, Umma”

“I love you too honey, no matter what” she cooed “So, how about some hot chocolate? Then we can have a nice catch up” she said, pulling back and wiping her eyes.

“I think that’s a wonderful idea” I smiled.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: So... I hope this wasn't too disappointing~
I figured that it would be kind of stupid for Hae to just forgive and forget everything that Hyuk's done and so they comprimised.
That's fair right?
Also, I wanted to add in the part with Hae's mum because I wanted to get across that she felt bad for not being strong when he was and she should have been - or so she felt- because I try to make my fics kind of realistic... If you know what I mean?
Anyways, so that's why I chose to add in the part with his mum, and kept it short and sweet.

But what did you guys think of Hyuk's confession? Was it too much, or was it alright? Aish... I really at writing but it still doesn't stop me, ahaha.

Comment and let me know what you thought of this chapter you lovely people~
And don't forget to subscribe ^.^

And if you think this fic is good enough, then fell free to up-vote (by clicking the little arrow next to the title)

Much love to all of you guys who have read and supported this fic! Seriously, you're the best and everytime someone comments or subs I freak out with happiness!
Until next time<3

 

P.S) Feel free to check out my other fics too. (Here)
I have 2 ElSeop long chapered fics and a oneshot. A Sooli oneshot. A JongKey chaptered fic and a Gri chaptered fic. Oh and and EXO oneshot as well as a sequel~