seven

A Taste of Temptation

Long update today(just under 4K words)!

 


 

I can’t believe you even thought of making me wear this.” I huff as I run a hand through my hair and place my forehead against the wall in hopelessness. “It’s just dinner, I don’t understand the big deal.”

 

“Daeun, Daeun, Daeun. It’s not just dinner. For one, it’s your birthday, and two, it’s kind of like a date for you two.” Yoonmi argues and I scoff. 

 

“A date? No, we are not dating. Jongin and I are not dating.” I say, and I hear a small laugh outside my closet door. Exasperated, I rip off the simple, yet somehow extravagant black dress and replace it with loungewear. “Plus, we’re going as a group of friends and coworkers. Remember? Now get your in here and help me look for suitable, casual clothing.”

 

She laughs even harder as she opens the closet door and steps in, instantaneously sifting through my clothes. Yoonmi is also a Division I, but she can definitely pass as a human. I mean, an incredibly gorgeous one, but normal one nonetheless. To be honest, I feel more human when I’m with her, if that even makes sense, and she’s really the only girl who I don’t have the urge to strangle when she talks. So I believe we can be considered as friends.  

 

“I’m just saying, if Luhan hadn’t been there when Jongin asked you out to dinner and he didn’t casually invite half the crew, it totally would have been a date.” 

 

I must’ve tried on at least a dozen different outfits that Yoonmi bombarded me with. Finally, after much trials, I end up with a white translucent, long-sleeve top with a black lace collar, and a pair of light jeans. To top it off, I’m handed a heavy cream coat and a pair of 4 inch black wedge heels.

 

“You know, for someone who asks what’s the big deal about dinner with friends, you sure are making a big deal about what you’re wearing.” Yoonmi snickers and I poke her arm in pseudo annoyance. 

 

After she takes one last glance at her reflection in the mirror and I throw on the scarf that Jongin gave me, we start to walk out of the apartment but not before Jongin unlocks the door and almost runs into us.

 

“Oh, I was just coming to-” He meets my eyes and hurriedly looks away. “Uh, come get you guys.”

 

“Thank god, I’m no longer stuck with just her!” Yoonmi exclaimes, wiping imaginary sweat from her brow and smiling playfully. “Jongin, you do not know how indecisive she is. And picky. Now lets go, I’m starving!” She almost skips off, her hair swishing from side to side.  

 

“I like your scarf. Who got it for you?” Jongin asks while he holds out his hand with a sly smile. I take it and laugh quietly. 

 

“A friend gave it to me. It was really nice of him.” I respond.

 

“Sounds like a great guy.” He says as we start down the elevator.

 

“Oh he is. Childish, and unbearably sarcastic at times, but he has his good points-”

 

Suddenly, I’m pushed gently against the corner of the elevator, Jongin so close I can hear the uneven breaths he takes. “Daeun. What would you do if he told that he wanted to kiss you?” My minds goes temporarily blank and before I have the time to answer him, the door rings open and Jongin is pulling me away to the car that Yoonmi is already waiting for us at. 

 

“Took you two long enough.” She whines as she settles into the backseat, but I can tell she’s really waggling her eyebrows at me on the inside. 

Jongin opens the passenger door and when I’m seated, he closes it before heading to the driver side. There he starts the car, and I’m unbelievably grateful for Yoonmi and her never ending talk that fills up the gaps of silence in the car ride.

 

 

I notice that many people are already inside the reserved restaurant when we park. From outside, I can see Kyungsoo and Baekhyun. The sky steadily turns a dark shade with a hint of magenta and blue. Multiple heads turn our way as we walk in, and people say Happy Birthday! as I pass. I smile and thank them.

 

Yoonmi and I sit at a table in the corner of the room next to a window while Jongin strides off to greet the coworkers that he’s close to. In my periphery, I see Luhan bound over, followed by Kris and Tao.

 

“Daeun! Happy Birthday!” Luhan croons as he pushes a medium sized, wrapped box towards me. “I would put my gift on the table with all the others, but then it wouldn’t have stood out. So I’m giving it to you in person to make it more memorable.”

 

“Well, how nice of you, Luhan. Being so thoughtful.” I smile and ruffle his hair, which he does not appreciate at all. 

 

Kris shoves him to the side playfully, and then presents a gift bag with sparkly tissue paper sticking out of it. He scratches the back of his head, and grins. “Happy Birthday, Daeun. I’m not good at shopping for things,” He refers back to the cereal incident. “But I hope you like it.”

 

“Can you believe Kris actually asked me for help?” Luhan exclaims and chuckles. “We picked out an entire winter outfit and split it.”

 

“Tao?” Kris alerts the boy behind him. At his command, Tao steps forward with a large white, shimmery bow in his hands. He quickly, but gently, clips it onto the top part of my head before hurrying back to Kris’ side. “Tao wanted to get something, too, so he bought a bow to match the outfit.”

 

A smile spreads on my lips. “You guys. Thank you. It’s really sweet.”

 

“It’s not everyday that someone turns nineteen.” Kris says, settling into the seat next to Yoonmi. He turns to Tao expectantly, but the younger shrugs and sits in the chair beside me, surprising Kris. 

 

“Yeah.” Luhan agrees. “We agreed to get something that you could wear when you go on your first date with Jongin.”

 

I almost choke on my water.

 

“Hold on, don’t tease Daeun, you two.” Yoonmi scolds and both of them pout. If we were to be considered a family, she’d be the mom. 

 

Luhan shuffles over to me and leans close to my ear, whispering in a light, breezy tone. “I wasn’t joking though.” And then he scampers away to avoid another round of Yoonmi’s scoldings. 

 

Hours blur together, and sometime after I blow out the candles on the cake, Yoonmi receives an urgent call that requires her and a few others to leave.

 

“Don’t worry, there’s just a few problems in one of our Districts. Happy Birthday.” She says as she slips a gold, butterfly bracelet that I’ve been wanting, but didn’t want to splurge on, onto my wrist before she slips out of the restaurant. 

 

Soon, the party disperses because most have work the next day, and Jongin helps me carry all the gifts to the car. Which just means he carried them all himself because somewhere along the line Kris had given me a sip (or a few of them) of soju in celebration of my birthday, and I found out the hard way that my tolerance is not too high. Jongin, of course had disapproved, but let it slide so he wouldn’t take the fun out of the day, although he did limit it. 

 

After packing all the packages away, he helps me up to the car. I think that I’m walking fine, but the way the world spins a little and Jongin having to keep a strong hold on me, makes me figure that my judgement is a bit off. As he guides me into the car, I can smell his cologne and it sends me into another light-headed, dizzy episode. I breathe to calm myself as he settles into the driver’s side and starts the silver automobile.

 

“I have to resign from our District’s work for a while.” I say into the heavy air. The AC seems to make my alcoholic fog disappear slightly.

 

“Yeah, Suho told me.” Jongin drums his fingers against the steering wheel, and then presses the gas pedal. “Though he didn’t tell me why.”

 

“I told him about Sehun. He said that he was glad I let him know, but he can’t risk letting me continue when I might not be emotionally ready yet.”

 

“Is that what you talked to him about the other day?”

 

I think back to the time where I had to leave breakfast with Luhan, Kris, and Jongin after receiving a call from the secretary. “Yeah.”

 

I think a break would be nice, Daeun. You can still come to the office, do your job, but I’m not allowing you on the field for now. It’s too risky. You can put yourself, as well as the others, into a very bad situation. I understand he is your brother, but he’s also a vampire now. If he were to go after one of your crew members and hurt them, I’m worried you might not be able to lift a finger against him. You have to remember that those people out there on the field with you, are also your friends. And you can’t let your friends get injured because you aren’t sure whether or not to protect them or to protect your brother.

 

“Are you ready? I mean, are you emotionally ready?” he asks, stopping at a red light and turning to look at me.

 

I shake my head with a sigh. “I don’t think so. Not yet, at least.”

 

Jongin senses my distress and reaches for my hand, entwining them with his own. “Hey, this is going to sound incredibly selfish, but I kinda wished it was just you and me spending your birthday together today.”

 

I laugh as I glance at the time on the dashboard. “That is selfish. But hey, you still have two hours until it is officially no longer my birthday.”

 

The smirk is back, tauntingly ghosting across his lips in a playful, seductive dance. Jongin zooms along the road in a different direction from our apartment at a high speed. Halfway through, I realize where he’s going. The park.

 

We pull up to the curb and then step out into the chill of the night. He takes a hold of my hand again but this time it seems warmer, the electricity flowing between us more intensified. We walk slow, our breaths tangling into the air in translucent wisps of grey. For the first time, I realize, I notice that he isn’t the boy that I first met anymore. Not just because of his height, the broad shoulders, the jawline, the way his hands are more calloused and worn, but by the way smiles like he isn’t scared anymore. He isn’t simply just waiting for death to take him away. I feel myself grin. 

 

“What’s so funny?” He asks and I shake my head. 

 

“Nothing.”

 

The park is desolate and dark, save for a few street lamps here and there. We walk around the sidewalk perimeter, the stars finally starting to show behind the thinning clouds. Jongin suddenly stops and leans towards me, “Close your eyes.” I do as I’m told. 

 

I feel something cold encircle my wrist and when I’m allowed to open my eyes, I see a silver bracelet with intricate wave designs around it. It goes well with the butterfly one from Yoonmi. “Happy birthday. I meant to give it to you earlier, but there were too many people around and I wanted to give it to you in private.”

 

Opening my mouth, I mean to tell him how beautiful it is, but he continues. “For some reason, this year I’ve been thinking a lot. I’ve spent the majority of my time spent with you, but when I was getting a present for your birthday, I realized something. I realized that I’m lucky, so damn lucky, to have met you. I tried to think what I did, to deserve anything that you’ve given me; your time, your care, your kindness. What good thing did I do? 

 

“But maybe it isn’t a good thing. Maybe it isn’t good because I can’t stand the thought of spending one second without ever hearing your voice, or seeing your face, your smile. Maybe there is a God, or gods out there who made me meet you so I would feel something, because in the end, emotions are such a pain. Before I knew it, I craved your attention, your laugh, your affection, I wanted it all; and wanting something so badly is unbelievably painful. Maybe that within itself is a punishment.

 

“And what I would give, to spend forever just holding your hand and knowing that you’re here with me. Or growing old, and watching each other’s hair go grey. But realistically, I can’t do that. We can’t do that. I’m stuck. Forever stuck here, and I feel like you’re running too fast for me to catch up with you. You’re getting older, Daeun. And I’m stuck here.”

 

He bows his head and sighs. I lift my free hand and rub soothing circles on his shoulder. In essence, vampires can live forever. Tasting the word eternity in my mouth feels like such an enormous thing compared to a human’s measly life average of seventy to eighty. “Hey, hey. Jongin, I’m here now, right? For now, I am as stuck here as you are. Look at me.” I say, but Jongin shakes his head, shrugs. 

 

For the first time, the only person I had ever truly depended on, who comforted me, who always seemed so strong and carefree, is laying himself out for me to see, vulnerable. Pulling him into a hug, I listen to the steady sounds of his heartbeat. He holds me tight and sighs again. 

 

“It’s just, forever seems pretty lousy if I can’t spend it with you.”

_

 

I wake up with Jongin’s arm around me. I gently place his hand back at his side and stand up quietly from the bed, holding my breath hoping I don’t wake him. He looks peaceful, and I brush the hair out of his eyes. Entering the kitchen, I start the coffee machine and pour myself a bowl of cereal. While crunching on the grains, I hear the front door unlock and I freeze. Quickly walking towards the door, I see that nobody stands in front of it and I breathe a sigh of relief.

 

“Luhan, I know it’s you and your stupid telekinetic powers.” I mutter and a laugh echoes throughout the room. 

 

“Aw, what gave it away?” He pouts as he walks in and closes the door without even laying a hand on it.

 

Scoffing, I seat myself back into the seat and resume eating my breakfast. “Where’s Kris?” I ask as I don’t see anyone behind Luhan.

 

“He had to assist with training Tao. As a Division I who’s part of the welcoming team, Kris has to help new vampires with powers adjust. We found out that Tao has this amazing ability to stop time. He’s still a little uncoordinated, though with time and practice, he’ll have one hell of power. But hold on,” Luhan stops and comes closer. “Why do I smell Jongin on you? Perhaps his birthday gift had something to with a bed?” 

 

“You’re too much, Luhan. No, we did nothing like that.” I answer honestly, though I can still feel my cheeks start to blush nonetheless.

 

“I’m just kidding around. I’d know if something like that were to happen because you’d be practically glowing. Us vampires are-”

 

“I don’t want to hear it.” I interrupt and Luhan chuckles.

 

“Anyway, I stopped by because I heard you’re being taken out of the field temporarily. Why?” He sits across from me with a confused expression.

 

“There were some...complications. But nothing you should worry your pretty little head over. I’ll be back before you know it.”

 

“Mhm.” He doesn’t looked convinced. “Right. Nothing to worry about. But now that you’re going to be out for a while, does that mean Jongin is too?”

 

“Well, no-”

 

“Isn’t that obvious?” I jump at the new voice and turn to see Jongin leaning against the frame of his bedroom door. With his hair even more unruly than usual and that heavy-lidded morning look he gives me, I have to nervously look away. He seems completely back together today, alright.

 

Walking over, he stretches his arms and yawns before leaning his arms on top of the island counter. “Wherever she goes, I go.” He says, as he stares at me with an unreadable expression that makes me shift uncomfortably in my seat and look everywhere but him. Luhan senses my anxiety and snickers while looking back at Jongin. 

 

All vampires are able to set up these ‘chat rooms’ with other vampires, or a group of them and talk. Those who aren’t allowed in these ‘rooms’, can’t hear anything. I realize, after observing their body language, that Jongin and Luhan are having a silent conversation in their heads. Luhan raises an eyebrow, a question, and Jongin defeatedly shakes his head. In a way, I find it extremely fascinating, but my irritation of being completely disregarded overrules. 

 

“I’m still here.” I huff, hating that I sound like a child not being given what it wants. Jongin grins while Luhan laughs and stands up, the chair skidding back.

 

“Well, I’ll leave you two to yourselves.” He says suggestively and I have to wonder what he means by to yourselves. 

 

There’s a muted movement of air and Jongin is suddenly standing by the door, holding it wide open. He only ever uses his ability when there’s an emergency or he wants to further prove a point.  

 

“And here’s the door waiting for you, Luhan.”

_

 

I sigh, rubbing my forehead in hopes of massaging my headache away. A cup along with two advils, appear out of nowhere and I look up. Yoonmi stands in front of my desk with a worried expression, her brown curls framing her anxious eyes. 

 

“I’m fine.” I say after gulping down the water and the pills. “Just a little tired.”

 

“Then rest. Don’t keep pushing yourself. Anyway, where’s Jongin?” She asks, glancing around the room.

 

“He had to run some errands. Why?” To my relief, I start to feel the medications kick in.

 

“It’s just that he’s always with you.” She replies while taking the seat in front of me. Almost like an unintentional afterthought, she adds “Do you like Jongin?”

 

The question catches me completely off guard and I have to think for a few moments to recollect my thoughts. “Um, well yeah. I practically grew up with him.”

 

“No, no, no. I mean, are you attracted to him like that.

 

“Uh...” I trail off, feeling heat start to rush to my cheeks. “I don’t know.”

 

“Hm. You know how when vampires get attracted to someone and the feeling is reciprocated, the attractant’s blood becomes a lot more...inviting? Alluring?”

 

I nod slowly. “What are you implying?”

 

“The things is, I think Jongin is attracted to you as something more than a friend. And if you return those feelings-”

 

“That’s crazy, Yoonmi.” I say. “That would mean we could share-”

 

“A bond? Yeah. And that also means, your blood is almost irresistible to him.”

 

“But that’s only if I return the feelings.” 

 

“Right. So do you? Being the VP of the Vampire-Human Relations department, I find it absolutely intriguing.”

 

“I-I’m not sure if I can answer that right now, Yoonmi.” 

 

“I know, but think about it. It’d be great if we had more bonds within the SHC. It could really save a lot of lives.” She glances down at her watch and scowls. “Shoot, I have to go, Daeun. I’ll see you later.” And then she disappears and leaves me trying to digest all that she’s said.

 

 

 

It could save a lot of lives. When a vampire forms a bond with a human or with a vampire, both parties share a physical and emotional connection. If one is upset, the other will know. If one is in danger, the other will sense it. The other pro is that if one is near death, the other can give their very own blood and save their bonded partner. So I can see that it would be beneficial to have more bonds in the SHC when we deal with life-threatening situations.

 

The thing is, liking each other, is only the first part of creating a bond. In order to solidify one, there has to physical relations. Like holding hands. The more intimate the action, the stronger the bond gets. 

 

I think about all of this as I walk back to the apartment. Just as I close the door behind me, it starts to rain and creates soothing noises against the windows. I pull out a pan and place it on the stove. Opening the fridge, I pull out a variety of vegetables as well as a half-pound of beef and then I start to cut the vegetables into pieces to throw into the meat that will be formed into small patties. Immersed in my thoughts, the knife slips and cuts my finger. I jerk my hand back in pain and send a ceramic bowl crashing to the ground.

 

I curse extensively under my breath as I place a paper towel over the gash that extends the entire length of my pointer finger. Pain throbs through it, and the towel turns red.

 

“Daeun?” I jump in surprise and see Jongin standing next to me. When he notices my injury, his eyes widen and he drags me off to the bathroom. “What happened?” He asks while he cleans the wound with alcohol and places a bandage on it.

 

“I accidentally cut my finger with the knife.” I say simply. “When did you get here?”

 

“Be more careful.” He sighs and leans back into the wall. “I was just about to leave the office, but then I thought you were hurt, so I teleported here.”

 

My heart skips a beat or two. “Wait, you thought I was hurt? Why did you think that?”

 

Jongin shrugs. “It was just a feeling.”

 

A bond? Yeah. And that also means, your blood is almost irresistible to him.

 

I glance up at him and notice the way his eyes look down at my bandaged finger, look away. He swallows and places his hands nervously behind his back. Since when? I wonder. Since when did all this happen? Even if we do have a mutual attraction, the most intimate we’ve ever gotten was holding hands. That’s not enough to really create a bond strong enough to sense each other’s emotions.

 

No, but you’ve shared a bed with him. A voice whispers in my head. And then just like in those cheesy, romantic movies, everything dims until I can only see Jongin. Hear him breathe. Almost feel his heartbeat. 

 

I have this sudden, insistent urge to run my hand through his hair or hold on to him and never let him go. And then I think back to what Jongin said last night as he gave me the bracelet that hangs from my wrist right now, and I can’t help but agree.

 

It’s just, forever seems pretty lousy if I can’t spend it with you.

 


Ok, so there were some small things that hinted at it, but just in case you didn't catch them, both Luhan and Kris are also Division I. You can bet that all of the EXO members are going to Division I in this story:)